Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LARRY JEW
Jan 7, 2010

Mopey Dick

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, he was just like Claude. He was whoever you wanted him to be. Claude and Luis work because they are a blank slate and become whatever you want. Tommy works because he is a psychopath and you usually play GTA as a psychopath. CJ doesn't work because he's a little bitch and won't realize that all of his success is being jeopardized by trying to rep the hood. Nico doesn't work because he's a little bitch and keeps crying about "I was monster in home country, I am monster here." He has several opportunities to be something besides a gangster and leave his past behind but he ignores them and keeps crying about the situations he puts himself in.

This. This so much. I think you're 100% spot on for Tommy and Niko. At the time I thought CJ worked because it was basically "cool black gangster" and that was a blast to play though when I was 14, but yeah now that can't carry the story because I'm not 14.

Niko was easily the worst though. I think it would have worked if he at least reflected his attitude in missions, while you can go on rampages while just loving around. That way you could have at least considered what you did outside of missions as non-canonical (i honestly don't know if that's the right way to put that, does that make sense). But like I remember someone in here saying Niko is always complaining about killing people and then you go and shoot up a warehouse 2 minutes later in a mission.

I hope this next character is either absolutely batshit crazy and unforgiving like Tommy or like Niko except actually acts like he says he will. Actually, no I just want to play as someone as hosed up as Tommy.

Can't believe I wrote all that for GTA characters especially considering I have an exam tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

TheJoker138 posted:

I don't know what Browalk is, but Sons Of Anarchy is one of the best shows on TV right now, along with Breaking Bad, Mad Men, and Game Of Thrones. Sorry about your bad taste :(

TLAD came out at a perfect time for me, just finished SoA season 1, and I enjoyed the hell out of everything in it. Tried to go back and play it, but after playing Red Dead Redemption, I cant play with GTA controls any more :smith:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Athanatos posted:

TLAD came out at a perfect time for me, just finished SoA season 1, and I enjoyed the hell out of everything in it. Tried to go back and play it, but after playing Red Dead Redemption, I cant play with GTA controls any more :smith:

Oh that. Yeah, tough guy bikers walk with their chest all puffed out and try to intimidate people sometimes. How is that a strike against the show, though?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

TheJoker138 posted:

I don't know what Browalk is, but Sons Of Anarchy is one of the best shows on TV right now, along with Breaking Bad, Mad Men, and Game Of Thrones. Sorry about your bad taste :(

Have you seen season 3 yet?

Also, browalk.gif

BRO I'M GONNA GET TO THE TRUTH, BRO

*ignores evidence of whatever shenanigans all over the drat place*

E:

Oh whoops.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm caught up on it. They're finally getting back to the premise the show started out with with the last season (Hamlet, with some MacBeth for good measure, but with bikers) and it's loving AWESOME. Also season 3 ruled, all the Irish stuff was great.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Anyone have a good ENBSeries setup for San Andreas that isn't an unholy mess of bloom lighting and HDR (like the ENBSeries Summer Edition is)? The Marty McFly Californian Sun one is pretty decent, but I wasn't able to get the reflections to look as nice and shiny as I would have liked.

edit: well, turning the effects on actually helps. Who knew? :downs: Hell yeah, now SA brings my fairly powerful laptop to its knees in ways GTAIV and Saints Row: The Third could only dream of!

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 31, 2012

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Niko is one of the reasons why GTA IV is such a slog for me. His constant whining and forced morality issues is the poo poo cherry on top of the gameplay problems GTA IV has. He wouldn't be that bad if the gameplay was fine, but he just makes the game even worse. CJ was bitchy and whiny, but at least the gameplay was a lot more interesting and fun than it was in IV.

Playing Vice City after beating GTA IV was extremely jarring because Tommy and Niko are two completely different characters. Tommy does not give a gently caress and has the most over-the-top solutions for problems, while Niko whines about how his life sucks in between randomly wandering criminal situations just because he needs the mahney.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Apparently I really need to replay Vice City because Tommy was nothing special to me but gets a lot of love

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

the_american_dream posted:

Apparently I really need to replay Vice City because Tommy was nothing special to me but gets a lot of love

I never got around to buying VC when it was first released so I bought it in a Steam sale last year. I've only just gotten to the 2nd island so I'm not sure how much of the overall game I've played, but so far Tommy seems pretty generic to me, like if Claude had a voice. Nothing he's said or done has stood out as memorable to me yet. Does he get wilder later in the game?
Of course, it's possible that Saints Row 2 and 3 have spoiled me forever in terms of over-the-top criminal videogame characters.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Tommy Vercetti never does anything besides be a loose caricature of a combination mob thug and Tony Montana type.

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis
Yeah, CJ and Niko's characterizations aren't perfectly consistent but they're a lot deeper and more interesting than Tommy.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

TheJoker138 posted:

I'm caught up on it. They're finally getting back to the premise the show started out with with the last season (Hamlet, with some MacBeth for good measure, but with bikers) and it's loving AWESOME. Also season 3 ruled, all the Irish stuff was great.

That's so weird that you're the only goon I've seen say this. I watch along with the TVIV thread each season and it's just one of those shows that started out awesome, but then turned into something we all just watch to make fun of how quickly it got bad. Season 4 was a step up from 3 though. I'd love if there were some sort of biker game presence in gta5 like San Andreas.

I hate to keep thinking I want to see things in gta5 that were in previous games, but really all I want is San Andreas with a graphics upgrade :P

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

One thing a lot of people don't realise is that the poo poo CJ says changes depending on how you play. Fat well dressed CJ who has been on lots of rampages is pretty different from skinny badly dressed CJ who avoids killing innocents.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

davebo posted:

That's so weird that you're the only goon I've seen say this. I watch along with the TVIV thread each season and it's just one of those shows that started out awesome, but then turned into something we all just watch to make fun of how quickly it got bad. Season 4 was a step up from 3 though. I'd love if there were some sort of biker game presence in gta5 like San Andreas.

I specifically stay out of TV IV because it's nothing but a circle jerk of snobbery and insanity in every single thread.

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

Install Gentoo posted:

Tommy Vercetti never does anything besides be a loose caricature of a combination mob thug and Tony Montana type.

Tommy Vercetti is the man us gamers want to be. He's tough, charges headfirst into challenges, never doubts himself, and always has a smart rear end remark to even the most threatening villain. The guy had the balls to stand up to the Liberty City mafia! While most of us would be pissing our collective pants in his position. That's why, to quote the graffiti from GTAIV, "Ur still my Hero, Tommy."

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

"Dumb Florida morons."

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011
I really liked Nico. Yeah he whined a lot, but he was also pretty funny. I loved most of the drives with Brucie and Packie because of his dry responses. Oh and he was great when he was drunk (YELLOW CAR!!).

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

croutonZA posted:

I really liked Nico. Yeah he whined a lot, but he was also pretty funny. I loved most of the drives with Brucie and Packie because of his dry responses. Oh and he was great when he was drunk (YELLOW CAR!!).

I wish we got a DLC where we could play as Brucie.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

DrNutt posted:

Goddamn. I never really thought about it but I would pay out the rear end for a Brucie led DLC :( even if it was just the skin and a rotating set of pumped up phrases that are played anytime you break 70mph.

I always get a big smile seeing him in Maisonette

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, he was just like Claude. He was whoever you wanted him to be. Claude and Luis work because they are a blank slate and become whatever you want. Tommy works because he is a psychopath and you usually play GTA as a psychopath. CJ doesn't work because he's a little bitch and won't realize that all of his success is being jeopardized by trying to rep the hood. Nico doesn't work because he's a little bitch and keeps crying about "I was monster in home country, I am monster here." He has several opportunities to be something besides a gangster and leave his past behind but he ignores them and keeps crying about the situations he puts himself in.

I'm not understanding where you're getting Claude being anything like Luis? Luis has clear motivations.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

I played Luis like Stringer Bell, and it was awesome.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Himuro posted:

I'm not understanding where you're getting Claude being anything like Luis? Luis has clear motivations.

His motivations are the further his clubs and do all the things laid out in the missions. Nico's motivations were to cry about what a monster he is while being a monster.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Vercetti is a pretty forgettable honestly, I prefer CJ vastly. Its weird how that game gets crap for gangster stuff at the end when Saint's Row has the exact same message and gets a pass by goons.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

DrNutt posted:

GTA 6 should be all about the adventures of Brucie, Roman, Little Jacob and Yusef Amir as they travel through modern-day Vice City and gently caress poo poo up.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Cojawfee posted:

His motivations are the further his clubs and do all the things laid out in the missions. Nico's motivations were to cry about what a monster he is while being a monster.

This doesn't mean he's anywhere near similar to Claude. Claude is a voiceless character who the player can project their own opinions on to. He's a hit man who does any job who is merely after a bit of revenge. Luis is a guy with a full on personality, intentions, motivations, back story, family, and relationships. Luis is nothing like Claude.

Coolodile posted:

Vercetti is a pretty forgettable honestly, I prefer CJ vastly. Its weird how that game gets crap for gangster stuff at the end when Saint's Row has the exact same message and gets a pass by goons.

What do you mean gets crap for gangster stuff at the end? SA gets crap because it's all over the place. Saints Row takes the gangster archetype and molds it into its own unique thing. I'm not understanding your comparison.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Aug 1, 2012

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Who the hell is dissing Tommy? It's the goddamn 80s and Scarface was basically all over the place.

Keep your whiny lovely hypocritical eastern european protagonist, and I'll keep the guy who knew not to be pushed around. :colbert:

Back then GTA didn't give a poo poo bout realism, so maybe it's a product of its time and you can't appreciate it for what the characters were back then. Because quite frankly none of the characters were "deep".

Claude: Basically player avatar. I mean this is the guy who saved the girl and shot her in the face because she wouldn't shut up.

CJ: Gangster wuss. Once he got the green, he basically became complacent and didn't care bout his city until he was pushed.

Tommy: He's basically a mob/scarface. 80s. Perfect. Call it cliche, call it not deep, I don't give a gently caress. :colbert:

You can call Niko "deep" all you want, but all I saw was a character conflicting with the actions with the player, and quite frankly took me out of the game.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I have no clue how someone can have issues with Tommy and somehow prefer CJ or Niko.

That mission where you first get the mansion so you decide to make a statement by driving to the mall, smashing the poo poo out of all the shop windows - "I run this town now - ME!" - and promising to be back in five minutes or less?

Glorious. I have no clue how that is even approachingly a cliche game character.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Shindragon posted:

CJ: Gangster wuss. Once he got the green, he basically became complacent and didn't care bout his city until he was pushed.

Should he care? It didn't seem to care about him :(

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

My only issue with Tommy is that he reacts in ways that don't always seem logical or consistent. I guess that's kind of the point of his character but... I dunno. I prefer psychopath protagonists in sandbox games like GTA but I didn't feel Tommy was executed as well as he could have been.

Drake Bate
Nov 2, 2011
And.... viral marketing is a go.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
A bit early for a 2013 release, no?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

That's a GTA4 site...

edit: or SA.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Aug 1, 2012

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

Can't be bothered WHOISing but I'm 99% sure this was a SA tie-in. I mean it was only mentioned on Andreas, and R* always leave these sites up for a million years. Also the testimonials are mostly SA locations.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
The Twitter account linked on that page has two tweets from July this year.

http://twitter.com/EpsilonismToday

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Domain reg is '04

Reive
May 21, 2009

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

The Twitter account linked on that page has two tweets from July this year.

http://twitter.com/EpsilonismToday

It was originally an SA site, the twitter must of just been added in prep for 5, I just visited it a few months ago and it definitely wasn't there.

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.
It was originally a San Andreas teaser site, but it has now been updated with a twitter account.

Edit:Refresh before reply.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Capn Beeb posted:

Should he care? It didn't seem to care about him :(
That's what bugged me the most about CJ. It wasn't the wimpy gangster, it was he so easily fell back into it at the end. He leaves the ghetto and poo poo starts getting done. He owns airfields, RC shops, car showrooms, manages a super-star rapper. But no, We gotta go back to the ghetto homie.
gently caress you CJ, you worked your arse off to get your brother out of jail and he wants to go BACK into that shithole that locked him up in the first place. gently caress that poo poo.

Also you know what game has a really good Tony Montana character? Scarface The Game did. The city design was odd but I still quite enjoyed it.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Croccers posted:

Also you know what game has a really good Tony Montana character? Scarface The Game did. The city design was odd but I still quite enjoyed it.

I really really liked Scarface the game, It was a bit rough around the edges, but fairly fun, especially the buying up of properties and the general progression was cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Mission progression/story was confusing at times but I had a blast with the game. I don't think I ever figured out what the Hitman henchman did either.

• Locked thread