Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
potentiometer
Dec 31, 2006

slidebite posted:

Is that true with 3D TVs having better pictures? I've not heard that. I am so woefully uneducated. :(

You know, we could almost use a "go to list" for recommended TVs and poo poo like how we do for PCs in that subforum.

Well it seems to me, and what I found while researching the TV I have in my living room is that 3d automatically comes with any upper mid range, higher end tv. More $$ --> Better video processor --> better picture --> smart functions & 3d bundled in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

slidebite posted:

Is that true with 3D TVs having better pictures? I've not heard that. I am so woefully uneducated. :(

You know, we could almost use a "go to list" for recommended TVs and poo poo like how we do for PCs in that subforum.

The problem is that a TV is, like, a once in 4 years purchase for a lot of people (and I feel like even that is a pretty quick turnover), and parts and specifications aren't standardized like they are for PC components. Researching these things is awful because of it. None of this is helped by annual refreshes across entire product lines, and product lines that consist of about 6 models per technology.

I'm really close to getting this ultra budget Toshiba 50". It's not the best thing in the world by all accounts, but the blacks are dark, color balance isn't too hosed, and it's substantially cheaper than a better TV. I don't suppose anyone has any specific experience?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Does Pioneer still make plasmas? Seems to me back in 06/07 it was between them and Panasonic.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

slidebite posted:

Does Pioneer still make plasmas? Seems to me back in 06/07 it was between them and Panasonic.

No, I believe they got out of the business altogether.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

The Gunslinger posted:

Yeah exactly. Definitely don't settle for less than the ST50 and if it was me I would shoot for the VT or GT.

GT50 it is

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

I'm pretty much brand new to buying TVs and my brother and I are looking to buy one for our new place.

Basically what we're looking for is a ~40+ inch TV without frame interpolation/smoothing/"natural-motion" or the ability to turn that feature off, and if possible without any sort of "dynamic dimming" that tries to balance the tv brightness with room light (seems like almost every modern TV has this).

But really the main thing is that we don't want the smoothing.

Can anyone recommend one or point me in the right direction?

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
why do people mount their TVs so high? don't their necks hurt? anything above eye level is kind of silly or am I missing something

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

slardel posted:

I'm pretty much brand new to buying TVs and my brother and I are looking to buy one for our new place.

Basically what we're looking for is a ~40+ inch TV without frame interpolation/smoothing/"natural-motion" or the ability to turn that feature off, and if possible without any sort of "dynamic dimming" that tries to balance the tv brightness with room light (seems like almost every modern TV has this).

But really the main thing is that we don't want the smoothing.

Can anyone recommend one or point me in the right direction?

As far as I know, there is no TV with the smoothing that doesn't have the ability to turn it off, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

ZetsurinPower posted:

why do people mount their TVs so high? don't their necks hurt? anything above eye level is kind of silly or am I missing something

Recliner, at least in my case. My tv isn't very far up though.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Lovie Unsmith posted:

No, I believe they got out of the business altogether.

Yeah they sold everything including their patents to Panasonic. It's pretty crazy how much their old models are still worth used.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The Gunslinger posted:

Yeah they sold everything including their patents to Panasonic.

Interesting, didn't know they did that. Does that mean Panasonic has models as good as or better than Kuros?

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

fyallm posted:

GT50 it is

ANd of course, the store i went too that decided I could have the GT50 didn't have any in stock, so I had to drive across town to pick one up. Then I get it home mounted and everything plugged in and my loving cable box doesn't work and they cant get anyone out till loving monday.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

ZetsurinPower posted:

...because they're stupid, simple as that. Some do it because they have no other place to put it, others so kids can't get to it. Mostly it's just ignorance though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Interesting, didn't know they did that. Does that mean Panasonic has models as good as or better than Kuros?

Nothing still quite has the black levels of the Kuros though it's entirely possible that Panasonic's high end range is better the the Kuros in other aspects.

The speculation right now is that the tech used to make the black levels of the Kuros so good is hard to achieve with today's Energy Star standards.

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!

88h88 posted:

...because they're stupid, simple as that. Some do it because they have no other place to put it, others so kids can't get to it. Mostly it's just ignorance though.

I get the impression people think its baller

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

88h88 posted:

I like the hanging high up over a fireplace mantel, Especially when the fireplace is pumping out massive heat.

Probably going to end up with a 60PA65000 today.

Edit: Bought it. Anyone have a link to free calibration videos or tips?

slidebite fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 3, 2012

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Must say, I'm pretty happy with the LG. The tuner was able to pick out an OTA HDTV signal that my older Panasonic couldn't, and I'm very happy with the quality. Just need to tweek the color settings (just on Cinema right now) but I am very happy. Also, I'm shocked at how good the sound is out of it.

3 HDMIs and a PC input so that's pretty decent too.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Aug 3, 2012

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
So here's a question:

I'm looking to pick up a second TV in a month or so and I'm either going to be picking up a 42" or something for the bedroom or upgrading my current TV in the living room and moving the current one in there to the bedroom. (http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIERA-TC-P50G25-50-Inch-Plasma/dp/B003924UCK)

My current complaint about the G25 is mostly to do with darkness and glare. The darks look pretty good, it's a very deep black...but the contrast on the low end is terrible. Some video games are literally just puddles of dark with a character running around, and messing with the brightness on the TV just makes it a puddle of grey with the character running around. Additionally, any glare on the TV makes this entire business worse, so there were some games that really were only playable at night with all the lights off. Dark Souls is a good example. I mostly just play video games and watch movies from my media center on it, for what it's worth. No TV or cable.

So given that and my budget of approximately $1500 and size of 50"-55", I have a couple of questions.

1. Am I retarded and this is about the best I can expect and I should learn to live with it? (This is probably a good starting point, because at that point, this turns into 'recommend me a cheaper, smaller TV as we won't be using the one in the bedroom as often'.)
2. If not, what sort of display technology would be best to look for, or what specific models should I be hunting down?

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind
Amazon Deal of the Day: Panasonic VIERA TC-L42ET5 42-Inch 1080p LED-LCD TV with 4 Pairs of Polarized 3D Glasses: $599.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00752RABS...3XB3FX41GKFSMXR

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Is there any kind of math I can do to determine whether 1080p is worth it for me? I'm definitely going to have a source of 1080p video(my computer) available for my TV, but the information in the OP leads me to believe that with the size of my TV and the viewing distance the extra resolution might not be worth the extra money.

For reference, I'm looking for an LED TV. I'm going to be anywhere from 6-9 feet away from it, and I was thinking around 32" might do the trick(at least for me). I don't care at all about 3D but my budget is kind of limited. No hard number on it, though.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 5, 2012

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
In my opinion, at that size, if budget constraints are keeping you from buying a screen that can display native 1080p, you shouldn't be buying a TV in the first place.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

totalnewbie posted:

In my opinion, at that size, if budget constraints are keeping you from buying a screen that can display native 1080p, you shouldn't be buying a TV in the first place.

Why? It's not that I literally do not have the money to spend, it's that I don't want to spend it if it's not a substantial increase.

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my original post. My budget is limited in the sense that I would only like to spend money on extra/better features if I'm really going to appreciate the difference. For instance, I've decided on a TV with LEDs because the blacks on regular LCDs bug me.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 6, 2012

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Why? It's not that I literally do not have the money to spend, it's that I don't want to spend it if it's not a substantial increase.

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my original post. My budget is limited in the sense that I would only like to spend money on extra/better features if I'm really going to appreciate the difference. For instance, I've decided on a TV with LEDs because the blacks on regular LCDs bug me.

1080p is pretty much the standard though. Its not like a luxury you're paying extra for. You'll have to actively seek out a 720p version.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
That is... not the impression I'm getting browsing on the internet.

edit: I see, it has to do with the size of the TV. At 32 inches, most TVs are 720p, at least on the internet. When you go above that, there rapidly become more and more 1080p screens. I was confused by you saying that because 720p being the standard is also the impression you get if you look at the TV rack of a Target or something.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 6, 2012

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
Anyone have any ideas on how good a LG 47LS5600 47-inch Widescreen is? Seems to get many good customer reviews, but most of them are for the 32" to 42" inch, and not the 47" I'm looking for. Also haven't been able to find any "professional" reviews of it.

I'm not interested in either 3D or SMART features, and this TV seems pretty good for it's price. Anyone know anything about it?

Flashing Twelve
Mar 20, 2007

Flashing Twelve posted:

What's the deal for TVs in Australia? Budget is about $900 ideally, absolute max of $1300. Looking for something in the 50/55" range, 3D/smart features are unimportant. Going to be used with a HTPC mostly and some regular TV watching, console gaming/occasional pc gaming might be done as well.

Had a look at the ST50s, couldn't find one cheaper than $1400 for a 50". Whingepool was the usual mix of unhelpful elitists oxygen-free-cable types and brand fanboys. Ozbargain is empty.

If anyone's lurking, I ended up getting this amazing deal on bigbrownbox

http://www.bigbrownbox.com.au/samsung-ps51e550-series-5-51-inch-130cm-full-hd-3d-plasma-tv-ps51e550/

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

That is... not the impression I'm getting browsing on the internet.

edit: I see, it has to do with the size of the TV. At 32 inches, most TVs are 720p, at least on the internet. When you go above that, there rapidly become more and more 1080p screens. I was confused by you saying that because 720p being the standard is also the impression you get if you look at the TV rack of a Target or something.

Depends on how close you're planning on sitting to the TV. If you're pretty close, it would be worth stepping up. Engadget made this graph years ago ( http://hd.engadget.com/2006/12/09/1080p-charted-viewing-distance-to-screen-size/ ) which is nearly useless because 1) it's subjective and 2) it doesn't focus on useful areas for 2012 (I sincerely doubt you can buy anything above 55" in 1080i anymore, but my parents 60" is exactly that.) still, it's something.

Best bet is to go into a store and ask to ensure that you're seeing each TV at its native resolution, then seeing if you can tell a difference.

Go Go Gadget
Sep 24, 2004
So I'm looking to buy a new TV with a budget of around 600 bucks or less. I'm hoping for around 50" and I'm mostly using it for standard HD cable, football, and Netflix through an XBox. I'm planning to sit around 7-10 feet away probably.

Am I making the wrong decision looking at 720p sets? It seems like comcast only broadcasts in 720p and since I don't have a BR player or have any interest in one I can't find why 1080p would be an advantage. I've found :

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A6194663&~ck=baynoteSearch&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=0

and

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-PN51E...eywords=lg+pn51

What worries me is the resolution of those two sets. They're 1024x768 instead of 1280x720.

I could also get a 1080p set for around the same: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sceptre-X505BV-FHD/19793654 but I'm wary of the soap opera effect on cheaper off-brandish models (my friend ended up with a proscan 50" from fatwallet and it doesn't have a menu feature to turn that effect off).

The last two TVs I got were huge older box rear projection TVs off craigslist just because they were cheap with crappy HD so I want to get this purchase right.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
So, I'm finally making decent enough wage where I feel like I can afford a new TV. My current TV is this absolutely pathetically small 15 inch Vizio and that poo poo just won't fly no more.

I'd, ideally, like something around the 32-40 inch range, and according to the OP that means that 720p would be pretty much just as good as 1080p. I'm trying to find something under $300, which may be absolutely wishful thinking. I'm kind of clueless about electronics and am hoping you goons could steer me towards a good quality set at a decent price.

A cursory glance has found this Toshiba on sale on Amazon for a pretty fine price. I don't know if this is a good brand, or if I can find better prices elsewhere or...really, anything!

So, basically, I'm looking for a useful website or trustworthy retailer whom I can order a TV of those specifications from. What sort of (realistic) prices should I anticipate? Is this Amazon deal a super hot thing I should jump on right away?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Is there any kind of math I can do to determine whether 1080p is worth it for me?

Figure out how far away from the TV you're going to sit, and then see what size TV would let you see 1080p:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
I came in here to search for possible solutions to our, otherwise awesome, 4 year old Sony KDL-46Z4100 suddenly having weird ghosting and coloring issues. Managed to accidentally click on some of those links to Costco and Amazon... Ooh shiny. Comes with 3d glasses, you say? :fap:

Mecharasputin
May 30, 2009

Ultra Carp
What's the thread's opinion on LED tvs?

VincesUndies
Jul 18, 2002

Vince McMahon's Underpants
I pulled the trigger and ordered the LG 55LM6400 from Costco. The delivery was quick but it looks like the TV took a hit along the way. After the delivery guy left, I noticed a 5 inch gouge out of the box on the screen side. I opened up the box and the TV does have 2 half inch scratches on the screen. Bummer. I called Costco and they're replacing it for me next week.

I did manage to set it up though and have been playing around with the settings. The magic remote is still gimmicky and can be annoying because it doesn't sit on the table without falling over.
What a huge improvement in color and picture from my old Toshiba 720p DLP though.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

VincesUndies posted:

I pulled the trigger and ordered the LG 55LM6400 from Costco. The delivery was quick but it looks like the TV took a hit along the way. After the delivery guy left, I noticed a 5 inch gouge out of the box on the screen side. I opened up the box and the TV does have 2 half inch scratches on the screen. Bummer. I called Costco and they're replacing it for me next week.

I did manage to set it up though and have been playing around with the settings. The magic remote is still gimmicky and can be annoying because it doesn't sit on the table without falling over.
What a huge improvement in color and picture from my old Toshiba 720p DLP though.

I am very close to finalizing on this one or possibly the 47" version. Are you in Canada? I saw it on costco.ca but was having trouble finding reviews of the 6400, instead finding the LM6700.

I'm thinking of going with the LG because I had read in the 6700 reviews that it has great picture quality and does the smart tv stuff really well. Being able to stream videos from DLNA sources would be cool.

VincesUndies
Jul 18, 2002

Vince McMahon's Underpants

priznat posted:

I am very close to finalizing on this one or possibly the 47" version. Are you in Canada? I saw it on costco.ca but was having trouble finding reviews of the 6400, instead finding the LM6700.

Yes, I'm in Canada. From what I can tell, the 6400 is identical to the 6700 but doesn't have the fancy chrome around the bezel.

DoctoRadox
Nov 7, 2010

RentCavalier posted:

So, I'm finally making decent enough wage where I feel like I can afford a new TV. My current TV is this absolutely pathetically small 15 inch Vizio and that poo poo just won't fly no more.

I'd, ideally, like something around the 32-40 inch range, and according to the OP that means that 720p would be pretty much just as good as 1080p. I'm trying to find something under $300, which may be absolutely wishful thinking. I'm kind of clueless about electronics and am hoping you goons could steer me towards a good quality set at a decent price.

A cursory glance has found this Toshiba on sale on Amazon for a pretty fine price. I don't know if this is a good brand, or if I can find better prices elsewhere or...really, anything!

So, basically, I'm looking for a useful website or trustworthy retailer whom I can order a TV of those specifications from. What sort of (realistic) prices should I anticipate? Is this Amazon deal a super hot thing I should jump on right away?

I bought that exact Toshiba television a couple days ago and i'm pleased with it.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I'm looking for a 40 or 42" TV and don't care about 3D. I haven't bought a TV in a decade so I don't entirely know what I'm doing, but I think I've narrowed it down to these two finalists in the $500-something-after-discounts range on Amazon:

LG 42CS570
Panasonic Viera TC-L42E50

Anyone have opinions about those TVs? I don't have a good way to pick one over the other. Which one does the A/V Arena think will have better colors, blacks, and reliability? Or should I be looking at something else entirely?

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I'm looking to get something in the 50" range, and I'd like to stick with plasma, but beyond that I am clueless as to what matters or at what point I'm just wasting money. I don't care about 3D. Can anyone briefly tell me if, for instance, this Panasonic Viera set is worth the the $700 premium over this LG set?

I'm interested in watching HD cable and blu-rays, but occasionally I'll play a PS3 game. Since it's been at least 5 years since I paid any attention, I'm a little clueless as to what matters, but I would pay extra to ensure a really nice image when watching movies.

As a further example of how clueless I am now, one of the differences between the Viera ST50 and GT50 line is the shades of gradation. Does this really matter? Would it be something that I'd notice?

Listerine fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 15, 2012

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

For your requirements, there would be no reason to get the 50GT50 over the 50ST50.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIE...=panasonic+ST50

That shrinks your price differential to just $400.

You say you don't care about 3d and that's fair, but that particular LG TV isn't a smart TV. So, that's one of the reasons why it costs more.

To put it in no uncertain terms. The ST and above Panasonic plasmas are the best image quality direct view TVs you can buy new today outside of the absurdly expensive Sharp Elite LCDs. Even then, it's extremely close.

If you have an hhgreg nearby, they apparently have the LG model you linked on display in store so that could give you some ideas. I'm not sure that anyone on here can say how they stack up side by side and quantify the price difference. About the only thing I can offer is the ST50 is among the best that you could possibly purchase so it wouldn't necessarily be wasted money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vogonity
Aug 1, 2005

Buglord
Just moved into a new apartment that essentially has a hallway for a living room.

Out of excitement to buy my first new TV in 7 years I pulled the trigger on this 40" TCL LCD. When the box came today I realized I probably got something way bigger than I need so I haven't opened the box yet (waiting to hear back about Amazon's open box return policy).

I know a lot of this might be personal preference but am I going to hate a 40" TV sitting 5 feet away from it?

On the Screen Size vs Viewing Distance chart it says 5 feet is where you'll notice 1080p for a 40" TV but it obviously doesn't take into account if you should be sitting that close in the first place.

edit: Maybe I should return it for this 32" TCL LED or this other 32" TCL LED that seems exactly the same yet has a different model number for some reason.

I should also mention that I'm choosing TCL for budget reasons. I'm coming from a 7 year old 32" Olevia, so pretty much anything should be an upgrade.

vogonity fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 16, 2012

• Locked thread