Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

twistedmentat posted:

How many do you need? I may have some extra.

EDIT: I have 3 sword and laspistol ones, and 2 ork head ones I can part with

http://i.imgur.com/D6uq0.jpg

Also if you're interested I have an extra sword over head officer.

Awesome! I have to dig through my parents' basement next time I visit, but I'm pretty sure I'll need at least three and probably the officer. Can you send me a PM at mr4354 @ yahoo dot com?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Karandras posted:

Drop enough Manticore shots on it that some 1's come up. Does it just deploy normally or can you do Scout shenanigans to get it into combat faster?

Deploys normally, but if you're not a gunline they just use Eldrad to set up as close as possible to you. Or near anything you will want to move forward with. Manticores might actually do alright, but since the Warlocks can LoSir on a 4+ big K will still keep a lot of them alive.

Really was just looking to see if there was some really obvious trick I was missing, but it seems like shooting it is the best bet.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
If I was playing a standard mech list, I'd deploy forward in order to create some space to maneuver in and then kite the deathstar around as much as I could. Dismounting Fire Dragons and such is obviously a priority, but once the major threats are gone I'd run away from unit while shooting at it. If your vehicles are spread out, there's no way they're going to be able to engage more than a couple in a game. The important part is picking apart their support.

They have no way of dealing with flyers, right? If so, flyers can shoot at them all day long. It might be a good reason to bring Vultures, 20 S5 shots at BS4 will surely help.

Phyresis fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Aug 1, 2012

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
I mean, there's still the rest of the army, and potential allies, to deal with fliers. Avoidance in a mech list is probably fairly solid, but the unit is going to deny a lot of space on the board in that case, which hurts in objective missions. Tank shocking it off objectives late game so you can score might work though, though it's fearless unless the Phoenix Lord dies. Might make enough space though.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Corrode posted:

If you've ever watched the BBC News, you know what my voice sounds like. Read all my posts in that tone, please.

You didn't specify a newsreader so I'm going with Moira Stewart until it gets FAQed.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Well, your first problem is that I don't actually see any HWSs on this list. I'm also not sure what the Vets with the Meltas are supposed to do, since they don't have any way of getting around. Finally, I'm not sure the Skyshield idea will work as well as you hope it will. Sure, the 4+ Invuln is great, but a single Basilisk shell could potentially destroy a good chunk of your army in a single shot. Still, it's an interesting list, and I'm looking forward to hearing how well it does.

Phyresis you never actually addressed this, did you just miss the HWS or forget to put them in entirely?

Shallow, if that's what gets you going then feel free to imagine it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Kirby did a pretty decent analysis of Orks in 6th on his blog. I have to get to work but I'll post my thoughts as a comment when I get there.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Corrode posted:

Phyresis you never actually addressed this, did you just miss the HWS or forget to put them in entirely?

Yeah, I accidentally left them out but I think they are in the actual list? I didn't save it after I posted it but I guess I could add up the points. There are mistakes in most of the lists I post in this thread. That list archetype is on the back burner for now while I mess with a more standard mech list. I like that 2000 point GK + IG list a lot because I spent an inordinate amount of time trying to make Grey Knights work in 5th edition without bringing Coteaz but I could never get the cheap support for my Strike Squads that I wanted. Henchmen can only do so much, and if you make them troops you max out really fast. This list is the list I wanted to play.

Inquisitor w/ power maul
4 x 5-man Strike Squads w/ psycannon in psyback
3 x psyflemen

CCS w/ 3 melta, heavy flamer in chim
PCS w/ 3 melta, hf in chim
2 x Infantry Squad with kraks and flamer in chim
2 x Special Weapon Squad w/ 3 melta
Vendetta
Demolisher or Manticore or whatevs

The 20 Guardsmen screen the tank line while they advance and the SWSes steal their rides. I don't like that aspect of the list so I might tweak it a bit. It's not my list.

e: If I paid for another Inquisitor I could bring up to 6 psyflemen :stare:

Phyresis fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Aug 1, 2012

Tailfnz
Oct 13, 2011

I'm delightfully forgettable.
So after a year I'm finally having the painting of my Ultramarines finished (my first minis, got them used and about half of them were abandoned paint jobs most of the way through) and I was wondering what the general consensus was on the usefulness of Cato Sicarius in this edition. Is he mediocre and incredibly overcosted, or is he worth the points for what he brings to the table?

Fureil
Jul 7, 2012

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Run IA8 Elysians. Vendettas come in squadrons of 1-3, and Valkyries are dedicated transports.

I am confused by this. Then again I'm relatively new at this hobby... Can you use IA rules in normal games? I thought that stuff was just for things like Apoc games? Can you use IA rules for tournaments? I'll just sit here and tightly hold onto my IA 5,6, and 7 and hope that you can.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

i heard that if you ask about using IA rules in regular games three times in a row, a ghostly hand appears and grabs you and throws you outside of the dungeon

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Fureil posted:

I am confused by this. Then again I'm relatively new at this hobby... Can you use IA rules in normal games? I thought that stuff was just for things like Apoc games? Can you use IA rules for tournaments? I'll just sit here and tightly hold onto my IA 5,6, and 7 and hope that you can.

My understanding is Imperial Armour is as legal as any codex you can buy, excluding super-heavies and gargantuan creatures (as they require Apocalypse to field). For tournaments the general rule is ask ahead.

Does anyone have some links for getting fancy bases in Canada? All the places I've been looking at have ridiculous shipping to get it up to these frozen wastes.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Kirby did a pretty decent analysis of Orks in 6th on his blog. I have to get to work but I'll post my thoughts as a comment when I get there.

Dunno, seems fairly superficial to me. Nob bikers are better, Boyz don't take Fearless wounds anymore, vehicles are easier to hit in combat and you shouldn't charge burnas. Thanks for the insight, Kirby!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Is the TL Tesla Destructor on a Night Scythe/Doom Scythe turret or hull mounted? Please cite your sources.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Deviant posted:

Is the TL Tesla Destructor on a Night Scythe/Doom Scythe turret or hull mounted? Please cite your sources.

Hull mounted. I cite that I put yours together (and they fit into lined sockets which cannot move).

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

PierreTheMime posted:

Hull mounted. I cite that I put yours together (and they fit into lined sockets which cannot move).

A) This isn't for me.
B) Page 51 says turret mounted.
C) All I can find is whiny sperglord arguments.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Deviant posted:

B) Page 51 says turret mounted.

The fluff on page 51 mentions it, but no rules for the Tesla Destructor includes turret mounted and the model has a static mount-point to the hull. I suppose that fact that it doesn't specify hull mounted will allow spergs to sperg for as long as they like.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Miles O'Brian posted:

Dunno, seems fairly superficial to me. Nob bikers are better, Boyz don't take Fearless wounds anymore, vehicles are easier to hit in combat and you shouldn't charge burnas. Thanks for the insight, Kirby!

Well it's a start, and if you're not terribly familiar with orks it might provide some reasonable ideas of how to expect things to be different. Given that it's the first analysis I've seen from the 40K blogs (as opposed to the billionth SW/BA/GK/SM conversation) I'll take what I can get.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Speaking of twin-linked tesla destructors, you can fire the doom ray behind you, right? It says "nomniate a point on the battlefield anywhere within the weapon's range" but is range just 12", or is it 12" in the front 45 degree arc?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Lib - 100
2x meltabunker - 440
3x Dreads MM/HF - 345

CCS, 2 melta, Astro, Chimera - 155
PCS, 4 flamer, Chimera - 105
5x InfSquad, melta, Chimera - 575
Vendetta - 130

Puts 13 hulls on the table, tons of melta and a flier for anti-air. I think 5 Chimeras have templates (I only recall owning 5 with HFs on) and MM Dreads are a bit better than they were. The only thing that bothers me is that the Librarian has nowhere to go and doesn't really want to be running about on his own, the alternative being to chuck 5 naked guys out of their Rhino to give him space.

I'm pretty sure the idea is awful but I thought I'd throw it out and see what anyone thinks.

CrotchPheasant
Jun 7, 2004

nobody important

Infinite Karma posted:

I use these http://www.amazon.com/Plano-Protector-Four-Pistol-Case/dp/B000P3WPKK for all my mini-transporting needs. In one of them, I fit 2 Ghost Arks, 3 CCBs and about 30 Overlords/Lords/Crypteks and Immortals, but the bottom part could probably fit 4 Ghost Arks instead of the setup I have now.

I ordered one of these and just got it in. This thing is pretty cavernous for the price, and I'll probably end up ordering another couple. Thanks for the advice!

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

^^^^ Can one of you post a picture with all the Vehicles in it? I am tempted to get this, but it looks to me like the foam is too thick to fit things like Arks in.

CrotchPheasant
Jun 7, 2004

nobody important

Khorne Flakes posted:

^^^^ Can one of you post a picture with all the Vehicles in it? I am tempted to get this, but it looks to me like the foam is too thick to fit things like Arks in.

I don't actually have any Necrons yet :v:

I can post some measurements or fill it full of Space Marines, though.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Corrode posted:

Lib - 100
2x meltabunker - 440
3x Dreads MM/HF - 345

CCS, 2 melta, Astro, Chimera - 155
PCS, 4 flamer, Chimera - 105
5x InfSquad, melta, Chimera - 575
Vendetta - 130

Puts 13 hulls on the table, tons of melta and a flier for anti-air. I think 5 Chimeras have templates (I only recall owning 5 with HFs on) and MM Dreads are a bit better than they were. The only thing that bothers me is that the Librarian has nowhere to go and doesn't really want to be running about on his own, the alternative being to chuck 5 naked guys out of their Rhino to give him space.

I'm pretty sure the idea is awful but I thought I'd throw it out and see what anyone thinks.

I considered that coming from the other way(IG main, SM secondary). I think you can drop the melta on the infantry sqauds for flamers and make the CCS a better melta boat. Single shot BS melta is pretty lame and you would still have 5 creditable melta threats. The librarian is a very hard question to answer, you would have to retool to have him gate around with a blob or TH/SS termies, or drop a melta bunker for a vet squad. Also I am not sold on the Riflemen. I would rather run 2 hydras for consistent AA and have them sometimes shoot at ground targets then the Dreads being the other way around, Also dreads are pretty spendy in a world of Hydras and/or 3 autocannon HWTs ordered around by a CCS. Finally you are buying an astropath to make a single vendetta come on with a 2+ giving up a pretty awesome feature of the vendetta having dudes inside for Linebreaker/scoring/backline threat.

But I do love the PIS chimera screen. I used that last night and I am pretty sold on it. It gives you two layers of bubble wrap for your melta boxes and an awesome mid field push for objectives AND Infantry squads with a flamer are a creditable anti infantry threat.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

jadebullet posted:

My fiance says it all comes down to priorities and the orks want more guns and spiffy hats.

I know there were some stormtrooper style heads that I missed but,

e: more heads

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 1, 2012

Tailfnz
Oct 13, 2011

I'm delightfully forgettable.

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Ork hats/helmets

If I ever make an Ork army, I'm going with those bandito hats. The thought of a mob of Orks speaking spanish cracks me the hell up.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

So I am trying to think of defenses against getting outflanked on my gun line and artillery units. What are strategies you guys use to protect your back line assets from outflank/deepstrike etc? The major probably I am having with my DKoK theory crafting is artillery guns are weak as hell and a deepstriking or outflanking squad can easily decimate them. I know I've read some special characters that get to shoot at any unit outflanking/deepstriking but can't remember who it was : /

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Can IC's join artillery units? I ask because I really like the idea of a Big Mek with a SAG, but I don't know who to stick him with. My Lootas will be after light vehicle/troops/flyer. I was thinking of attaching him to a group of 3x Zzap guns with a bunch of Grots. Then they're all packing AP2, and who knows, they may even kill something.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

CyberLord XP posted:

Can IC's join artillery units? I ask because I really like the idea of a Big Mek with a SAG, but I don't know who to stick him with. My Lootas will be after light vehicle/troops/flyer. I was thinking of attaching him to a group of 3x Zzap guns with a bunch of Grots. Then they're all packing AP2, and who knows, they may even kill something.

They can. It used to be that they could even shoot at different targets, but not anymore.

It's not a bad idea given T7 for everyone. Stick them behind an Aegis Line and use a grot to man the quad cannon.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

So I think I am stuck in the mindset of 5th and can't shake it. I've been watching some battle reports, and I think I have been doing wound allocations in combat all wrong.

The way I have been playing it is the models at the front take the wounds first, but if there are more wounds than the front models, I start to work them into the guy in back. I also have been rolling saves all at once aside from special weapons and characters. I've seen videos where people are rolling saves one at a time on a single model until it dies than moving onto the next model. As well as holding precision strikes until all basic wounds have been taken.

So for an example, how would this play out:

DD-NNN
DC-NNN
DD-NNN

D= Death Company
C= Chaplin
N= Necron Warrior

The Chaplin inflicts 1 precision strike wound and one regular wound on the Necron Warriors as well as 5 regular wounds on the Necron Warriors from the Death Company.

How would I go about rolling for saves and when do I factor in the precision strike? Do all 3 in front have to die before I have to start taking wounds on the guys behind the Warriors? Meaning keep rolling one dice at a time on one guy until he dies, than move onto the next front guy and repeat. Or do I just throw 6 saves and one single one on the precision that my opponent chooses?

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's not a bad idea given T7 for everyone. Stick them behind an Aegis Line and use a grot to man the quad cannon.

Yeah, this was what I was thinking. I think I like this.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Khorne Flakes posted:

So I think I am stuck in the mindset of 5th and can't shake it. I've been watching some battle reports, and I think I have been doing wound allocations in combat all wrong.

The way I have been playing it is the models at the front take the wounds first, but if there are more wounds than the front models, I start to work them into the guy in back. I also have been rolling saves all at once aside from special weapons and characters. I've seen videos where people are rolling saves one at a time on a single model until it dies than moving onto the next model. As well as holding precision strikes until all basic wounds have been taken.

So for an example, how would this play out:

DD-NNN
DC-NNN
DD-NNN

D= Death Company
C= Chaplin
N= Necron Warrior

The Chaplin inflicts 1 precision strike wound and one regular wound on the Necron Warriors as well as 5 regular wounds on the Necron Warriors from the Death Company.

How would I go about rolling for saves and when do I factor in the precision strike? Do all 3 in front have to die before I have to start taking wounds on the guys behind the Warriors? Meaning keep rolling one dice at a time on one guy until he dies, than move onto the next front guy and repeat. Or do I just throw 6 saves and one single one on the precision that my opponent chooses?

The attacking players tell the defender the order to roll wounds. In your example the attacker could say "roll all normal wounds" and since the warriors are all the same the necron guy just rolls them all together and removes the failed units, front to back. The precision strikes won't matter in the example so they can just roll together.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Naramyth posted:

The attacking players tell the defender the order to roll wounds. In your example the attacker could say "roll all normal wounds" and since the warriors are all the same the necron guy just rolls them all together and removes the failed units, front to back. The precision strikes won't matter in the example so they can just roll together.

Right, but how do you go about it. Is it still handful of dice for the squad aside from special weapons, or roll one dice at a time on closest models until it dies?

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Dude, special weapons are not differentiated from rank and file troopers for wound allocation anymore, that's why power fists on Death Company are A Bad Idea. For most units, you start rolling batches of dice for the regular guys until the closest model is a character. Then you can start making Look Out, Sir! rolls for the character if you want, and you have to do all of those wounds individually.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Khorne Flakes posted:

Right, but how do you go about it. Is it still handful of dice for the squad aside from special weapons, or roll one dice at a time on closest models until it dies?

If the whole squad has the same save, you don't differentiate special weapons at all. You roll a handful of dice, see how many wounds you took, and just remove models closest to furthest until you're out of wounds. If you hit a meltagun in the middle there, sorry meltabro, should have stood back.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Dominion posted:

If the whole squad has the same save, you don't differentiate special weapons at all. You roll a handful of dice, see how many wounds you took, and just remove models closest to furthest until you're out of wounds. If you hit a meltagun in the middle there, sorry meltabro, should have stood back.

And units of multiple wound models are handled the same way, right? The Nob closest to the enemy squad would have all its wounds removed before moving to the next nearest Nob, correct?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

WhiteWolf123 posted:

And units of multiple wound models are handled the same way, right? The Nob closest to the enemy squad would have all its wounds removed before moving to the next nearest Nob, correct?

Yes, which can lead to some nonsense with multiple wound squads. If you have a guy take a wound up front just move him to the back when your squad moves. Next shooting phase will have models with full wounds closer to the shooter and thus they will have to cause 2+ wounds to remove a model instead of 1 as it was in the old system.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

WhiteWolf123 posted:

In this example, not necessarily, because you can make Look Out Sir! rolls for each Nob on a 4+ since they are all Characters. A squad of Nobs is pretty much as durable as they were in 5th Edition and you don't even need to buy special equipment in weird combinations to make the model different. Meganobz (which are not Characters) would work in the way you described.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
To go back to the Lysander love-in for a second, is it only the addition of allies that makes him worthwhile in 6th, or is there a pure SM list that he can work in? Tempted to paint him up for my oath this month but i have no interest in BA allies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Ok, makes more sens now. This new wound system is so bizarre and is seeming to be more confusing than Fantasy's.

Still one more thing concerning Flyers. Really the only thing I am not sure on is how far can the Stormraven move and still have the unit inside get out and assault. Is it still no more than a 6 move to get out and assault?

• Locked thread