Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I tethered my N7 to my Galaxy S2 LTE this morning on the street car which was pretty effortless and awesome.

Am I right to assume that using Bluetooth instead of wi-fi is easier on the battery?

Something I found slightly annoying is that the data-counter on my phone didn't seem to acknowledge any data being used by the tether, though it's possible that I used very little. I currently only have a 1 GB plan, but as long as I don't stream music/video it seems to have been plenty for non-wifi times.

edit: paint is worn on one corner of the N7 already. Worst thing I've done to it is put it on the laptop compartment of my backpack.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Aug 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
OK, the Quick Start Guide doesn't have anything on how to skip the wifi network lookup after a factory reset, any suggestions?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

krushgroove posted:

OK, the Quick Start Guide doesn't have anything on how to skip the wifi network lookup after a factory reset, any suggestions?

You should be able to skip the entire startup wizard by tapping in the four corners of the screen in turn. Google it for a video if needed.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Tunga posted:

You should be able to skip the entire startup wizard by tapping in the four corners of the screen in turn. Google it for a video if needed.
Top left
Top right
Bottom right
Bottom left

In that order.

It might take a few tries to get though.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Got a Asus TF700 in the mail today, and gotta contact Asus tomorrow. :sigh:

It's got something that looks like a tiny peck or crack, where the brightness is cranked way high, resulting in a tiny spick that's much brighter than the rest of the screen if I'm on a white background or something. (Way less noticable when on darker colours, though. )

I'll accept pixel faults on a cheap Korean monitor, not a tablet I just paid 1000 USD for.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

SubNat posted:

I'll accept pixel faults on a cheap Korean monitor, not a tablet I just paid 1000 USD for.
Isn't the infinity only $500?

e: Also, if you're sending it back take pictures of it first and maybe even a video of you packing it up.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I tried the corner tapping but I must not have played enough Dance Dance Revolution - had to wait until I got home for it to see my home wifi network. The network at work is hidden and the initial setup doesn't give you an option to find hidden networks.

Thanks for helping though, hopefully I don't get stuck again trying to root!

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Isn't the infinity only $500?

e: Also, if you're sending it back take pictures of it first and maybe even a video of you packing it up.

I'm Norwegian. :v:
The 64GB version with Wifi and a keyboard costs 5999,- Crowns.
I think 100 USD is 603 NOKr at the moment.

But thanks for the tip on the packing up, Gonna see if I can borrow a decent cam, then pack the thing up after I've talked to support.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
That explains the avatar! In the US that config would only cost $750. Anyway, ASUS apparently has terrible service and there are reports of them breaking tablets and claiming that the owner did it. At least one guy said that ASUS service held his tablet hostage for some kind of bullshit fees, and multiple people have reported that it takes a long time (weeks or months) to get a tablet repaired/replaced. Another guy sent in his Transformer Prime in for warranty repair and got an original Transformer back. If I had to deal with their support I would take every precautionary measure possible. Good luck.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Can you not return it to the vendor that sold it to you? I'd make Amazon deal with it if it were me (luckily, my Infinity came sans issues).

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

mesc posted:

Can you not return it to the vendor that sold it to you? I'd make Amazon deal with it if it were me (luckily, my Infinity came sans issues).

I could, but that would take just as long as sending it to Asus.
And, neither the shop I bought it from, or any others have the thing in stock anymore, won't have for two weeks.

I'll ask around, if Asus is in the same condition, then I might just as well send it back to the seller, ye.

Also, didn't buy it from Amazon, bought it from a norwegian-based netstore. Amazon doesn't really exist here in Norway, and it's better to have warranties in the same country, after all.

Still, heeding your guys' advice, and checking with customer support from both the store and Asus.

e: The tablet is very nice, other than the screen-crack-or-whatever-it-is.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Got my Nexus 7 rooted and even restored all the apps that I'd installed before rooting! Amazing. My first rooted Android thingy, all so I can use one of those OTG USB connectors.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Must admit that a combination of Skifta and MX Player has made a particularly effortless DNLA/UPnP player and tool out of the Nexus 7. I chose to install the Skifta server, but it played nice with the XBMC inbuilt DNLA Server too. No file format issues yet.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Have to try out Skifta then.

What's a good tethering app to try out, that will use my phone's 3G connection? Possibly the only thing I miss on the Nexus 7 is the ability to get data on the road.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Depends more on your phone (and carrier to a certain extent) than anything else. I just share my connection on my Galaxy II and connect to it with the N7 with Bluetooth, though I could use the phone as a wifi hotspot too. No special apps required.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

teethgrinder posted:

Depends more on your phone (and carrier to a certain extent) than anything else. I just share my connection on my Galaxy II and connect to it with the N7 with Bluetooth, though I could use the phone as a wifi hotspot too. No special apps required.

For some reason the Google play store doesn't think its online when I tether my 7 on Bluetooth.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Someone asked on a page so earlier and I didn't see anybody answer it:

What exactly is the defect rate on the Nexus 7? I can't tell from the internet or this thread whether a significant portion of users are getting defective screens, lines of dead pixels and rising screens, or if it's a vocal minority getting unlucky with defective units. Has Google addressed any of these problems that keep popping up?

The reason I ask is I might hunt down a 8 GB version this weekend and save on the taxes. Would I have any problem exchanging a unit with Staples or Best Buy, or are they making you deal with ASUS?

Basically, is there anybody in here that's super satisfied with their purchase?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
Unfortunately, we just don't know what the rate is and I doubt we will. However, I know of 3 other people who bought Nexus 7's and all three of them have flawless devices. Even though I had an issue with mine and the screen lift (and I'm still waiting on the replacement in the mail), I believe the rate is pretty low for defective devices. There hasn't been widespread backlash about the issue in the media which kind of backs that up.

Staples typically has a 15 day return policy, I'm not sure what Best Buy's is. As long as you're within these periods you should be able to return the device no questions asked.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

IT Guy posted:

Unfortunately, we just don't know what the rate is and I doubt we will. However, I know of 3 other people who bought Nexus 7's and all three of them have flawless devices. Even though I had an issue with mine and the screen lift (and I'm still waiting on the replacement in the mail), I believe the rate is pretty low for defective devices. There hasn't been widespread backlash about the issue in the media which kind of backs that up.

Yeah, that's a nice point about the media. There was one article on Tested, and there was lots of stuff on a Google search, but that's to be expected, I suppose.

Do you deal with Google, ASUS or the store if you buy from a retail outlet? I typically have bad luck with devices (had warranty replaced 2 iPhone 3GSes and 1 iPhone 4S so far :argh: ) but have been spoiled by how great Apple is at customer service and am curious about how Google is handling it.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You deal with the store within the 15 day return period, after that I believe it's through ASUS during the 1 year warranty.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Cool, thanks. Surely two weeks is plenty of time to test the screen multi-touch issue and enough time for the rising screen to start showing.

Maybe even by now the later shipments are coming in off the initial rush. Might have to go hunting Friday!

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Soul Glo posted:

Mine works great, I use it quite a bit for movies/reading. No build issues that I've seen. Same with a co-worker who bought one (we both pre-ordered early on).

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

So how bad is the speaker on the nexus 7 supposed to be? I just got one today and it sounds worse than the twenty year old blown speakers in my last car. Constant buzzing/distortion even at lower volumes.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

So how bad is the speaker on the nexus 7 supposed to be? I just got one today and it sounds worse than the twenty year old blown speakers in my last car. Constant buzzing/distortion even at lower volumes.

Not like that. Its a fair bit older than the gnex- no unusual characteristics otherwise.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I got in my Transformer tf700 and drat this screen is pretty. Maybe they fixed whatever slowdowns people were talking about in one of the recent updates because my device seems pretty smooth and the UI/browsing speed is similar and certainly not any worse than my old ipad 2. Only area so far where it seems to compare unfavorably to the ipad is the speaker which isn't something I use much.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
Google Wallet has been updated to work with any credit/debit cards now. You can get the updated version here for the Nexus 7 http://googlecommerce.blogspot.com/2012/08/use-any-credit-or-debit-card-with.html

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

low-key-taco posted:

I got in my Transformer tf700 and drat this screen is pretty. Maybe they fixed whatever slowdowns people were talking about in one of the recent updates because my device seems pretty smooth and the UI/browsing speed is similar and certainly not any worse than my old ipad 2. Only area so far where it seems to compare unfavorably to the ipad is the speaker which isn't something I use much.

Apparently there was an update a few days ago (Monday?) that fixed the majority of the I/O issues people were experiencing. Also, once 4.1 comes to it, it should be even better.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Shadowgate posted:

Google Wallet has been updated to work with any credit/debit cards now. You can get the updated version here for the Nexus 7 http://googlecommerce.blogspot.com/2012/08/use-any-credit-or-debit-card-with.html
Still not working on my UK Nexus 7 though :-(

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Soul Glo posted:

Even if I was stuck with my screen lifting one for some reason instead of exchanging I'd be pretty satisfied. I really like the device and it doesn't feel like a huge deal. Maybe I'm just too easy on Google and Asus.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Soul Glo posted:

Me. No lifting, touch issues or anything. I'm still amazed how fast this thing is for 2 bills.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Sweet, exchanged my N7 at the store and the speaker sounds fine.

Are there any recommended apps for syncing with my phone so I can send and receive texts using my nexus? Other than using Google voice.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

My wife and I are both extremely happy with our purchases (I got the Infinity, she got the N7). No build quality issues, and I'm as jealous of the 7" form factor and JB as she is of the resolution and keyboard dock. All in all, we're not disappointed at all that we didn't go the iPad route (this is helped, of course, by the fact that we both own and use Android Smartphones and would still be using WebOS if it was a viable option).

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. Got one more question, and I'll leave you guys alone!

Do new Nexus 7s still come with the $25 Google Play credit? Because with that and this weekend being tax free, I would feel like the tablet was only costing me $175 flat. Plus the free Transformers movie, but it's hard to count that in the price being that it's on Netflix.

Also, I know there's no real way for people to know, but are stores still completely dry or have you dudes been picking them up in store? I'd rather avoid shipping and handling to really take advantage of this tax free weekend.

Thanks, dudes.

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009
I've had no issues at all with mine, it works flawlessly. Best electronic hardware I've owned.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Soul Glo posted:

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. Got one more question, and I'll leave you guys alone!

Do new Nexus 7s still come with the $25 Google Play credit? Because with that and this weekend being tax free, I would feel like the tablet was only costing me $175 flat. Plus the free Transformers movie, but it's hard to count that in the price being that it's on Netflix.

Also, I know there's no real way for people to know, but are stores still completely dry or have you dudes been picking them up in store? I'd rather avoid shipping and handling to really take advantage of this tax free weekend.

Thanks, dudes.

16 gigs still seem to be sold out but my Staples had tons of 8gb in stock. And yeah they still come with the play store credit.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Soul Glo posted:

Someone asked on a page so earlier and I didn't see anybody answer it:

What exactly is the defect rate on the Nexus 7? I can't tell from the internet or this thread whether a significant portion of users are getting defective screens, lines of dead pixels and rising screens, or if it's a vocal minority getting unlucky with defective units. Has Google addressed any of these problems that keep popping up?

This is one of those situations where the exception can appear to be the rule. People with problems are obviously going to complain, but people rarely sprint to the Internet to rave about how something met their expectations. As a consequence all you really hear is the problems.
I haven't run across much news on the subject, but I'm curious if Asus has a new revision of the hardware that addresses the sub-par adhesive. Anyone hear anything?

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

Ugh, I hate cases that cover the bezel

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

tofes posted:

Ugh, I hate cases that cover the bezel

I agree. That's why I'm seriously thinking about one of those treegloo cases.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

IT Guy posted:

I agree. That's why I'm seriously thinking about one of those treegloo cases.

Yeah, the treegloo, portenzo, and dodocase all look good but I'm waiting for reviews before dropping 60 bucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

tofes posted:

Yeah, the treegloo, portenzo, and dodocase all look good but I'm waiting for reviews before dropping 60 bucks

The http://kck.st/LA1hsC cases look nice but I too want to see other people's reviews on the products.