Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
I finally got a video of Spice barking while dreaming: http://youtu.be/c7tM5fXEpnY

:3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Fraction posted:

Question for Super: is Moses' level of DA normal in how he expresses it? I always thought the standard pit bulls response would be less... emotionally invested in what the other dog was doing. My Jess isn't emotional about it at all, she just wants to start fights.

If you had to leave with Frankie and share your stuff with him, you'd be that aggressive too, wouldn't you?

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Chido posted:

If you had to leave with Frankie and share your stuff with him, you'd be that aggressive too, wouldn't you?

Probably yeah but we're not talking about me :mad:

I'm training my dog to fight irl

Imagine it's a baby, Lola!

So glad I finally managed to work out a way to have a stable outdoor springpole :3:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Kerfuffle posted:

Super have you ever seen a pitty that absolutely floored you with confirmation both in appropriate pitty behavior and nice form?

I guess question that goes for anyone in PI who owns a purebred dog or is heavily invested/interested in them. Genuinely interested if such a thing actually exists, or is just strived for.

I really think as good as it gets, there's always going to be room for improvement and something to strive for. There's a reason you put drawings with breed standards and not pictures of actual dogs. I'd say there are definitely dogs that come close, but you're always going to be able to find flaws. Usually, though, in a really great dog, those flaws are so minor that the dog is still as near perfect as you're going to get.

Sort of on that same note, I love how this dog is growing up:
http://wildhauskennels.com/heidi.htm
I'm curious about how her temperament has developed, since they still have the generic description from when she was a puppy. I'm really, really hoping that by the time we're set for a puppy she's the one they'll want to breed. (Just from a structural standpoint.)

WolfensteinBag fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Aug 1, 2012

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

:swoon: I hope her temperament's as good as her looks.

Stop giving me puppy fever. :saddowns:

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
I'm not a BYB because I live in an apartment.

WolfensteinBag posted:

Sort of on that same note, I love how this dog is growing up:
http://wildhauskennels.com/heidi.htm
Oh wow the amount and frequency of litters from a single bitch and repeat pairings to boot. Wouldn't be my chosen breeder for sure. Although they probably produce nice dogs.

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

HookShot posted:

This afternoon Terra was laying on the rug on the floor, when suddenly she farted really loudly and audibly (she's usually the queen of silent but deadly). While funny in and of itself, the best part is as soon as she did it she jumped up and ran a couple steps before turning around, obviously having gotten a huge shock.

That's right, she managed to scare herself with her own fart :psyduck:

Every time my dog farts, she scares herself. She's not really a smart dog.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Bash Ironfist posted:

The day dogs learn how to cropdust, god help us all. :negative:

You mean you haven't run into any that do? I've seen quite a few that like to go around checking up on everyone after waking from a nap. It just so happens that the movement tends to result in some other things happening too.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

hhgtrillian posted:

Every time my dog farts, she scares herself. She's not really a smart dog.

Ooka does this too. He'll jump up and scoot away, and then sniff his own butt.

The fun part is that he'll also do this if anyone ELSE farts. Or makes an even moderately convincing fart NOISE. He's the ultimate dog, taking blames for all emanations, even those that couldn't possibly be his own.

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?

Kerfuffle posted:

Super have you ever seen a pitty that absolutely floored you with confirmation both in appropriate pitty behavior and nice form?

I guess question that goes for anyone in PI who owns a purebred dog or is heavily invested/interested in them. Genuinely interested if such a thing actually exists, or is just strived for.

I don't think I often get 'floored' by dogs based on their structure alone. Good, functional structure is often pretty moderate and understated, and you don't have to look very hard to find it in most of the breeds I'm into (luckily :)). I can totally get distracted by aesthetics though - I love these guys;

just because they're a more old-fashioned type of bed/whippet lurcher that you don't see very often these days. I wouldn't say I'm 'floored' by them though. The nearest I've come to being blown away by a dog based on structure would be looking at COO and Euro racing lines of Afghan hounds, just because it's so rare to see an aboriginal-type Afghan anywhere these days.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

SuperTwo posted:

I loving love Ella's lead. She has managed to procure Stafford Knot conchos to make Eva a reproduction of this old time Stafford collar.

The dog in the picture is True Briton, a son of Ch Gentleman Jim and one of Eva's ancestors.

You'll have to post it when you get it, I'm sure it will be gorgeous. I was worried because the Paco collars devotees have done some serious mud slinging towards Ella's lead but while I can rationalize spending $45 on a collar I can't rationalize $145 for the same thing.

The collar got here today and it's just as lovely, strong and supple as anyone could want and the customer service was amazing. I'm very happy with it.

Major always looks like he has a gross eye goober in pictures but it's really a scar. He has a couple of them in a pattern that makes it look like his whole head was in another dog's mouth at some point.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Instant Jellyfish posted:

You'll have to post it when you get it, I'm sure it will be gorgeous. I was worried because the Paco collars devotees have done some serious mud slinging towards Ella's lead but while I can rationalize spending $45 on a collar I can't rationalize $145 for the same thing.

The collar got here today and it's just as lovely, strong and supple as anyone could want and the customer service was amazing. I'm very happy with it.

Major always looks like he has a gross eye goober in pictures but it's really a scar. He has a couple of them in a pattern that makes it look like his whole head was in another dog's mouth at some point.

That's an awesome collar! Also Major is a pretty dog. :3:

I would spend money on a fancy collar, but...you know. Can't make a Boston Terrier look anything but dumb as hell and/or derpy as hell. Although his petco jolly rodger collar is getting a bit frayed, might need to go pick a new one up.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Any suggestions for replacements for sticks as a fetching toy? They are literally the only thing Bailey will fetch outside (he learned to enjoy them from running around with another dog who carried sticks around)and he tends to try to chew them up. I eventually have to stop because he eats half the stick (I know its not great but he really chews them up good).

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

wtftastic posted:

Any suggestions for replacements for sticks as a fetching toy? They are literally the only thing Bailey will fetch outside (he learned to enjoy them from running around with another dog who carried sticks around)and he tends to try to chew them up. I eventually have to stop because he eats half the stick (I know its not great but he really chews them up good).

A bully stick maybe? It's stick-like in shape and appearance. Also better for the dog then wood!

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Or antlers, if you can get them. Very stick-like.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Or a rubber stick toy that is perhaps less edible and could give him the idea that fetch time is not chewing time.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Hahah I didn't realize just how many dogs scare themselves with their own farts!

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Or a rubber stick toy that is perhaps less edible and could give him the idea that fetch time is not chewing time.

Those look great. He hasn't shown any interest in rubber toys but maybe the shape will be the trick. I might also look into larger antlers. Thanks for the tips. Its just hard to get the stick away from him before he does any chewing (and he doesn't do it on ever retrieve) and I don't want him to hurt himself.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

HookShot posted:

Hahah I didn't realize just how many dogs scare themselves with their own farts!

Oh man, Koji does, too.

Farts aren't funny. Dog farts are loving hilarious.

The best story I have is Koji had a pretty farty night a few months ago, luckily all sound no smell that night. But he farts, wakes himself up, stands up, turns around to look at his butt. The motion of turning toward his butt caused him to fart in his own face. This then caused Koji to try and run away from his butt, while farting again. I thought I was going to pee my pants I was laughing at him so hard.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

paisleyfox posted:

Oh man, Koji does, too.

The best story I have is Koji had a pretty farty night a few months ago, luckily all sound no smell that night. But he farts, wakes himself up, stands up, turns around to look at his butt. The motion of turning toward his butt caused him to fart in his own face. This then caused Koji to try and run away from his butt, while farting again. I thought I was going to pee my pants I was laughing at him so hard.

That's amazing. :allears: A dog who farts in he own face. A shameful dog.

Also I kept wanting to call the shiba at work Koji, instead of his name. I had to keep catching myself from doing it. Get out of my head, paisley! :mad:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Bash Ironfist posted:

That's amazing. :allears: A dog who farts in he own face. A shameful dog.

Also I kept wanting to call the shiba at work Koji, instead of his name. I had to keep catching myself from doing it. Get out of my head, paisley! :mad:

:colbert: Never.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

paisleyfox posted:

Not many things make me actually LOL. This made me LOL. Oh Koji. :3:

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
So, this article just popped up in the Facebook feed. Good to know we were all wrong about pit bulls and dog parks!
http://www.examiner.com/article/dispelling-5-common-myths-about-bully-breeds?cid=db_articles

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Whee massive thunderstorm, all the animals are freaking out...

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

RazorBunny posted:

Whee massive thunderstorm, all the animals are freaking out...

Dog freak outs are the best. There was an earthquake here not too long ago, and all the dogs at boarding freaked out. Many shat themselves and their surroundings. That was fun to deal with.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

paisleyfox posted:

Sometimes dog farts are loving expensive. I left Pi with my parents for a week and when I went to pick him up on Monday, he was obviously unwell, lethargic, drooling, pacing, vomiting and kept straining to defecate. When we got to the clinic he peed himself in the waiting room.

Two hours, lots of labwork, s.c. fluids and two X-rays later the diagnosis was that he had a bout of gastroenteritis. The dramatic symptoms were due to gas in his lower GI-tract he couldn't expel, apparently due to his bowels being so distended. The vet helped him along and when Pi started, he let it rip for a couple hours while I drove home. Pretty much all of his symptoms vanished once he had gassed the vet's office. I've rarely seen a dog look so relieved. I never thought I'd be that happy to pay 300€ for a dog fart.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I sometimes forget that SA has more forums than just BSS, I wish I would have remembered you guys when I was doing my dog trainer certification!

Anyways, I have a question about kennel cough. More specifically the transmission if the bacteria. Is it possible for my clothes/shoes to have become infected and my dog contract it from there when she's jealously sniffing me when I come home from work?

Obviously, I'd need to take her to a vet for a diagnosis, but Saturday night she kept me awake with a cough/retch fit about every 30 minutes. Things cleared up after her dinner Sunday and ever since she's been her normal energetic, happy self with only the occasional cough, but I want to prevent something like this from happening again.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Riiseli posted:

Oh wow the amount and frequency of litters from a single bitch and repeat pairings to boot. Wouldn't be my chosen breeder for sure. Although they probably produce nice dogs.

I was going to message you because I didn't want this to turn into a whole crazy drama thing, but I wanted to talk about why I chose them & all that. :) At first I was surprised to hear you say that, but then I remembered that you're not in the US and that things in Europe tend to be a lot different. I know in most countries, the breed clubs won't let you register litters if they're more frequent than once a year for a bitch unless there are some crazy circumstances that you have to jump through hoops for, so I get where you're coming from.

Here, it seems perfectly reasonable (at least to me) to breed 5 litters from a dog before retiring her, like Wildhaus has done. I definitely am not a fan of 2 litters in one year from the same bitch, but I'm sure they had reasons to do so. It's a husband and wife that own the kennel, and they produce dogs mainly for work and sport and are therefor in high demand. Even with that high demand, they don't succumb to the over breeding that most GSD kennels with their caliber of dog end up doing. Between 2002 and 2012, they have bred 13 litters. That's amazingly low considering other breeders around here, especially considering that they've had large gaps without breeding in there. Some of those litters that were close together but different bitches were from co-ownership situations, as well, so it's not a case of having a house chock full of puppies from different litters.

The biggest reasons I chose this kennel are the health testing (which is more thorough than other kennels here, with a lot of planning given to the lines and not just looking at a specific dog's results) and that these people KNOW their puppies. They socialize, train, and observe the puppies from day 1 and are really great at evaluating them for the right home. I've talked to waaaayyyy too many breeders that are too willing to sell their dogs' positives without discussing the negatives of owning the breed, and these people are right up front about the fact that every dog isn't good for every person and that even if you have a deposit, if they don't think they have a dog for you, they won't sell you one. I want a breeder that knows their dogs and won't let me pick my own puppy.

I'm mad I don't have time, but I should link you some of the other "breeders" that would be "second choice" around here. :rolleyes: Breeders that are honestly the best you'd be able to find in a reasonable distance (I'm talking states away) that are producing WAY more puppies, WAY more repeat breedings, practically willing to sell to anyone, and health testing that is nowhere near as thorough (even though they test their own dogs, breedings done with completely untested lines). Looking up other breeders really puts it into perspective.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I was just thinking about all the Bully Breed "controversy" and the myths and whatnot associated after reading that article, and had some thoughts. Hopefully they're not going to piss anyone off :ohdear:

I think I'm pretty much in line with the general school of thought here that there's a huge amount of stupid bullshit about bully breeds in the media and in the public consciousness, and that it's all blown way out of proportion. Especially the stuff about them attacking humans and whatnot. We all joke about it, and I think everyone here concurs.

But it got me thinking. Because the truth is, all of that misinformation is out there, and there are some people who, when they see a pit bull terrier around them, get frightened or freak out in some way, and have an outwardly fearful reaction that might be expressed in any number of ways. And I'm pretty sure that most dogs react to humans when they do that, and this can occasionally cause a situation to escalate and potentially get a little out of hand. I'm certainly not saying it would always result in the dog (whatever breed it is) biting the human who initially got scared for whatever reason, but on occasion it can. And dogs (whether they're good or bad or prone to biting or not) all respond much better to positive body language and emotions from humans.

So the thing is, I'd imagine that random people who are unfamiliar with dogs and are perhaps influenced by the media's depiction of bully breeds are probably more prone to getting scared when they see a pit bull of any kind regardless of what the dog does or what the reality of the situation is. And that these experiences (even if nothing really happened) can probably further reinforce the belief that the person has that pit bulls are "bad" or "violent" dogs. So it's really a situation that perpetuates itself, because someone who thinks they have an experience like that will be personally convinced from their "personal experience" that pit bulls are dangerous.

I hope I'm making some sense here. What got me thinking was the other day, I ran into a pit bull terrier I didn't know tied up outside my coffee-shop. If a dog acts friendly I might pet them and say hi or something in a situation like this, and this dog was initially being friendly, so I was going to pet him. But I checked myself as I went to pet his head when I realized he was a pit bull, because even though I know intellectually that they're not a danger to me, something fearful in the back of my mind got the better of me and I backed off. And this obviously freaked out the poor pit, who went from friendly to being a bit worried and freaked by my reaction, causing him to back up and growl-bark a little. I wound up reassuring him and getting back on his friendly side and in a happier mood, ultimately petting him. But I know that someone who was maybe unfamiliar with dogs and how they react with a bias against bully breeds could have been scared like hell to see a pit bull react like that. But it really made me think, because the bullshit even got to me on an instinctual level.

(sorry about the :words:-y post guys, I have trouble being overly verbose while making my point sometimes)

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

First up, in fairness I don't think you should have approached & petted a strange, tied up dog. Not all of them appreciate it, even human-loving pits. :)

Secondly, the way people act is always going to influence how the dog in turn reacts to them. It's a negative feedback loop that can only be solved by changing the representation of pit bulls (and other 'bad' breeds) in the media.

This is why IMO a pit owner, if choosing a pit as their breed of choice, has the responsibility to make sure that their dog doesn't further the negative representation in the media. Pit bulls getting their CGCs, doing obedience and other sports, being used as therapy dogs, not being put in situations like dog parks which are playing with fire, etc - all these are awesome.

IMO its the same with any breed; you have the responsibility to make sure your dog does not impact on the overall opinion of the breed. This is especially true for breeds that are so negatively perceived by the media.

(words words words)

Amberlyn
Jan 5, 2010

Fraction posted:

IMO its the same with any breed; you have the responsibility to make sure your dog does not impact on the overall opinion of the breed. This is especially true for breeds that are so negatively perceived by the media.

(words words words)

This. I own two chihuahuas, which is definitely the OTHER end of the spectrum, but still, they have a really bad rep as yappy, bitey, nippy little unsocialized shits. My daughter was a vet tech for years, and would groan when a chi came in. They routinely had to be muzzled and were hell to deal with. She was not a happy person when I rescued one, just because her experience with them had been pretty negative. I worked hard with my first rescue to undo the beginnings of that nippy, bitey behavior and turn him into a well-socialized and friendly, never-met-a-stranger type of dog who is a pleasure to have around and can be loved on by anyone, without showing any reaction other than pure pleasure and friendliness. Did the same with chi rescue number two because I felt a responsibility to do my part to help dispel the negative rep this breed had, not because I want any personal kudos, but because I feel it's my duty as a responsible dog owner.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
That dog had a weak rear end temperament, gross

Brillig
Oct 21, 2008

You know the world isn't fair at all. Titles aren't fairly distributed either. In time you'll learn my son. -2Bit
Being done giving an animal medicine is such a relief sometimes. My vet couldn't find anything wrong with my poop incident kitty, but gave me some just in case medicine. Liquid medicine that apparently tastes worse than anything else ever. It made me feel so evil and bad every time I didn't get it directly down his throat because it made him drool and run around like he was on fire whenever he tasted it. Days and days of doing that to my cat was awful. And he still loves me anyway, the doofus.

Cat rear end: OK.

moechae
Apr 11, 2007

lolwhat
Ugh, I had a terrible, terrible morning. My boyfriend moved out for the week (we're on the potential verge of breaking up), and before this I'd walk Faye in the mornings and he'd walk Ike, because I wanted to get a good, solid loose leash walking, leave its, look at me's training base on her; I've been doing really great with her so far. The boyfriend has totally ignored Ike's leash reactivity though. And I found out the hard way this morning. I thought I could handle both of them at once during a walk, and boy was I wrong.

A guy was jogging past with his aussie, Ike freaked the gently caress out, slipped his collar, and ran straight to the aussie. He barked and jumped around the aussie and that was it (thank god) while the guy yelled curse words at me telling me to get my drat dog. All I could do was run across the street to Ike screaming "I'm sorry! I'm sorry! He slipped his collar!" I had to sit on goddamn loving Ike while holding Faye's leash in my other hand. Then another girl walks by with her doxie and Ike freaks out again. I literally sat on Ike for a good minute or two hyperventilating and on the verge of tears before I could get his collar back on. gently caress. I love Ike but Jesus Christ I don't know what to do. I guess I have to bite the bullet and get him in reactivity classes. He was doing so good when we just had him and I was walking him 90% of the time, but with two dogs, I just, I dunno if I can handle his reactivity by myself anymore. Plus anytime the boyfriend walks either of the dogs, he doesn't do any type of training with them. He thinks it's music listening time, and pretty much just walks and watches the dogs walk which sets back any training I try to do. UGH. I don't have money for reactivity classes either. I'll have to dip into my savings. Goddamn it Ike, why can't you be a good, normal beagle?

But yeah, if you see a barking, crazed beagle running toward your dog, and a girl screaming and running after him holding a slipped collar, that's me. I'm sorry. I'm a terrible dog owner, try not to cuss me out too much, it makes me sad. :(

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Put him in a harness if he slips the collar a lot. It won't solve the issues, but it will help prevent him from getting away from you.

moechae
Apr 11, 2007

lolwhat

RazorBunny posted:

Put him in a harness if he slips the collar a lot. It won't solve the issues, but it will help prevent him from getting away from you.

Actually, he was in a harness originally, but he figured out how to jump backwards out of the harness. Once he figured that out, he kept doing it on purpose. I guess I need a harness/collar option. Something with like, three different things attached to the drat dog so if he escapes one, he can't get out the other two.

Edit: Also, to preempt the "tighten the harness!" crowd, the harness was so tight it was rubbing his fur off, which was another reason we switched back to collar.

moechae fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 3, 2012

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Definitely look into harnesses that attach to his body differently. Something like a walking jacket might work - I know they make them for cats, not sure about a mid-size dog.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Why not an easy lead harness? Won't slip out AND he can't pull.

moechae
Apr 11, 2007

lolwhat

Bash Ironfist posted:

Why not an easy lead harness? Won't slip out AND he can't pull.

He was able to get out of a step in harness, and the traditional harness, I never tried the easy lead harness because he never really pulled. It looks like he might not be able to get out of it? I'll try it. Does anyone have issues with it rubbing? every harness I used on Ike ended up rubbing him raw in places, and that looks like it's hitting right under the armpits which could cause chafing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

Easy Walks chafe badly and are easy to slip out of. Angus figured out very fast how to get out of one. Try a martingale collar. They are designed to tighten when the dog pulls back so they can't be slipped. They are very popular with sighthound owners because of how small their dog's heads are and owners of escape artist dogs.

• Locked thread