Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Well the carpark part isn't strictly speaking a test, it's a part of CBT (Compulsory Basic Training), which you need before riding a 125 unaccompanied or to be trained/tested on anything bigger.

Your information is a bit out of date now dude. The A class is now broken up into two parts; MOD1 and MOD2.

MOD1 is off road stuff in a car park similar to the CBT. Moving the bike by hand, slalom, figure of eight, emergency stop, avoidance and U-Turn.

MOD2 is on road and all the other stuff, A-roads, roundabouts, unassisted driving - they pull you over and tell you to follow signs for some place - for about 45 minutes.

They're changing it all again at the end of the year though which is pretty stupid. Soon you'll have to do your training on 600cc plus bikes for the Direct Access.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

eddiewalker posted:

In Missouri I could have legally ridden a 1000cc supersport on public roads after passing a 25 question multiple-choice test on road rules and paying $3.

Passing the four low-speed parking lot exercises then gives you the right to ride after dark and with a passenger.

Pretty sure that's universal in the US too. All you need is a permit obtained from a simple written test and you're on your way to killing yourself.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ReformedNiceGuy posted:

Your information is a bit out of date now dude. The A class is now broken up into two parts; MOD1 and MOD2.

MOD1 is off road stuff in a car park similar to the CBT. Moving the bike by hand, slalom, figure of eight, emergency stop, avoidance and U-Turn.

MOD2 is on road and all the other stuff, A-roads, roundabouts, unassisted driving - they pull you over and tell you to follow signs for some place - for about 45 minutes.

They're changing it all again at the end of the year though which is pretty stupid. Soon you'll have to do your training on 600cc plus bikes for the Direct Access.

:smith: I'm so old...

TBH the new test sounds a lot more suitable though - I know a couple of people on the old test who just lucked their way through and can't ride for poo poo (and some days I feel like I'm one of them).

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

ReformedNiceGuy posted:

Do you mean that you have to spend 45 minutes riding to a destination, or that the whole MOD2 takes 45 minutes?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

spootle posted:

Not in VIC, don't have to go anywhere near the road to get your restricted or full license, it's all just carpark drills

Victoria has a whole lot of crazy going on on its roads, so this doesn't really surprise me at all.

spootle
Nov 11, 2009

Shimrod posted:

Victoria has a whole lot of crazy going on on its roads, so this doesn't really surprise me at all.

There was a guy that plowed into a fence because he couldn't work out turning at 20ks, still passed. I assume he's gone under a bus by now.

It's kind of ridiculous considering the rumblings that they're thinking about making ATGATT compulsory (gear is expensive enough already dammit), this state has no idea what it's doing.

Not to mention the speed camera cops that hide up the trees on the popular routes in the mountains that get flooded with bikes on the weekends in summer so they can radio ahead and get you pulled over in a few corners

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

spootle posted:

There was a guy that plowed into a fence because he couldn't work out turning at 20ks, still passed. I assume he's gone under a bus by now.

It's kind of ridiculous considering the rumblings that they're thinking about making ATGATT compulsory (gear is expensive enough already dammit), this state has no idea what it's doing.

Not to mention the speed camera cops that hide up the trees on the popular routes in the mountains that get flooded with bikes on the weekends in summer so they can radio ahead and get you pulled over in a few corners

I was more referring to the whatever the gently caress is going on with trams and giving way. Seriously, it's like everyone on the road down there wants to die.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
One of the local CBT instructors told me they had a kid who went the wrong way around a round about on the road portion and still passed.

It was then I realised I had nothing to worry about.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

One of the local CBT instructors told me they had a kid who went the wrong way around a round about on the road portion and still passed.

How do you even make that mistake, it's pretty clear that you need to turn left to go around it :/

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

Frankston posted:

Do you mean that you have to spend 45 minutes riding to a destination, or that the whole MOD2 takes 45 minutes?

Ah sorry, that wasn't particularly clear. The whole test is about 45 minutes. At some point they pull you over and say follow signs for such and such a place. After you've done that for about 5 or ten minutes without killing yourself they stop you and go back to directed stuff.

On my test they had me pull over just outside of a city centre and follow signs that lead me through it, onto a bit of ring road (national speed limit, multi lane thing) and back out the other side.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

ReelBigLizard posted:

I don't think you can fail the CBT to be honest as it's training rather than a test. The thing about it I find ridiculous is that you can take it on an auto scooter then immediately go out and buy a geared 125.

There's also no testing on your knowledge of the highway code!

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

ReformedNiceGuy posted:

I don't think you can fail the CBT to be honest as it's training rather than a test. The thing about it I find ridiculous is that you can take it on an auto scooter then immediately go out and buy a geared 125.

There's also no testing on your knowledge of the highway code!

Ours might be slightly different (Guernsey), the instructors wont sign off your slip unless they're happy you're not a risk to yourself/others. I can only assume they put it down to nerves and he was otherwise exemplary.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

ReelBigLizard posted:

Ours might be slightly different (Guernsey), the instructors wont sign off your slip unless they're happy you're not a risk to yourself/others. I can only assume they put it down to nerves and he was otherwise exemplary.

I think that's the official line here too but I've never heard of anyone failing it. Granted my sample size is fairly small being new to biking myself :)

Rog McDodge
Oct 21, 2005

ReformedNiceGuy posted:

I think that's the official line here too but I've never heard of anyone failing it. Granted my sample size is fairly small being new to biking myself :)

I don't think you fail, but you may be asked to come back and do another few hours the next day if you are not up to scratch.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ReformedNiceGuy posted:

If you "fail" the CBT the school has to put you through it again free of charge, so I suspect there's pressure on quite a few instructors to just sign off anyone.

On my second CBT (had to re-take it to start my Direct Access) someone on my group failed it - she completely froze about 2 minutes in to the road portion despite being fine in the car park and just couldn't remember how to ride at all, the instructor had to run her back to the school on the back of his bike (I got to ride her one back and then get a pillion back to the rest of the group and my bike). She was starting her Direct Access too, but was allowed to retake the road portion the next morning and aced it, and passed her A test on the same day as I did :unsmith:

Smile
Dec 16, 2005
Some dude I went to school with posts way to often about his "pipes"

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Smile posted:

...Outlaw....

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I have this mental image of a guy just walking around making burbling / banging noises into a long pipe held up to his mouth and trying to shove the other end in people's faces, then being gleeful when they grimace and walk away. About the same level of maturity and rebellion. At least he admits it's 'retarded loud'.

Nothing like walking up to City Hall, seeing the crosswalk forty feet away and crossing the street anyway, and four of Gilette's finest stare you down... it's rough being an outlaw LOL!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I can't honestly say that I don't enjoy having folks pull over to let me by, simply by blipping a downshift through my retarded loud pipe.

Twozzok
Jul 18, 2005

ReformedNiceGuy posted:

The theory is a complete and utter piece of piss though. You can learn all of the questions by rote in a couple of days practice with the smart phone app.

I think the hazard perception is rubbish too, the clips are filmed from a static camera (usually attached to the dash of a car) at a really low resolution. This makes half of the hazards difficult to spot because they're just an amorphous blob of pixels until you're on top of them. Hazards in corners are similarly difficult to spot as the camera doesn't look through said corners.

Yeah the hazard perception was grainy as anything, it looked like they filmed it in the early nineties. The theory might be easy but a large percentage of people I know somehow failed it.

ReelBigLizard posted:

When I took my CBT it was me on a 125 and some kid on a scooter. Somehow he detaches from the group and disappears for half the road session. We headed back to the training center a long route so I would get some road training, and he appears ten minutes later with a differewnt group. He still got his CBT somehow.

Twozzok fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Aug 1, 2012

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

In a ketchup factory. A sexy ketchup factory.

Flikken posted:

...Outlaw....
Ugh, I'm so sick of assholes brap-brapping away for no reason other than a pissing contest. When I get bored I like to search HDForums for idiocy. One particular specimen said something like "gently caress scientists and their made-up ideas of noise pollution." Yeah, screw the metallurgists and engineers who built and designed your stupid loving gas-to-noise converters.

I now think that the sexiest sounding bikes are stealth-quiet I4s that gently and covertly "hiss" past you. Unf unf....

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Smile posted:

#stereotypicalHarley

I would be sorely tempted.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Fixed Gear Guy posted:

Ugh, I'm so sick of assholes brap-brapping away for no reason other than a pissing contest. When I get bored I like to search HDForums for idiocy. One particular specimen said something like "gently caress scientists and their made-up ideas of noise pollution." Yeah, screw the metallurgists and engineers who built and designed your stupid loving gas-to-noise converters.

I now think that the sexiest sounding bikes are stealth-quiet I4s that gently and covertly "hiss" past you. Unf unf....

That sort of idiocy is more rare on the XL only forums. They tend to be a more practical, humble lot without a lot of patience for buffoonery. They also tend to not have a lot of time or money for non value add crap. This is not to say that you won't find someone who thinks apes on a roadster makes sense...

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

I would be sorely tempted.

No jury would convict you.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Smile posted:

What a chud, does that town not have noise laws?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

No jury would convict you.
Just jam a potato in there. Much cheaper, and eco-friendly! :v:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Richard Bong posted:

quote:

Nothing like rolling up to City Hall

They will soon! :laugh:

Smile
Dec 16, 2005

Richard Bong posted:

Nah, this is Wyoming: no vehicle inspections, no helmets, don't even need a permit to concealed carry.

True story, I've actually seen MORE people wearing helmets/gear in the last couple weeks as the Sturgis crowd starts showing up.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Flikken posted:

...Outlaw....

Fun facts to share with the Hardly Worth-It crowd.

http://www.humansinvent.com/#!/936/5-more-fake-sounds-to-fool-you-today/

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Part of the reason people buy Harleys is the sound. I don't think that knowing it's carefully engineered in is going to cheapen it for anybody.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 1, 2012

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

clutchpuck posted:

Part of the reason people buy Harleys is the sound. I don't think that knowing it's carefully engineered in is going to cheapen it for anybody.

There's a big difference between buying it for the note and timber of a v-twin and the assholes who bolt on all kinds of poo poo to make that as loud as possible.

I love the way my Ducati's desmo engine sounds but I put the quiet inserts on my exhaust because I value my hearing, I'm not a douche wannabe-outlaw, and I don't want the police on my rear end. My engine still sounds awesome but now I can ride home past midnight without my neighbor slashing my tires.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah ludicrous volume and the Harley sound - correlation, not causation. I am also pretty confident in assuming that other makes, including Ducati, also engineer in the proper sound for their market.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
As a BMW owner I hate loud bikes, and so I hate most Harley owners. As a Ducati owner, I need some loving Termis to scare little babies with.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

I used to live in the center of Providence, Rhode Island. Federal Hill, for other New Englanders. I lived in an apartment above a major thoroughfare, right at a major intersection with a long wait at a red light.

Summer was a nightmare. I didn't have air conditioning, so I had to keep the windows open. And every tiny dicked Harley riding loser would stop just underneath my living room window and rev their engine for 90 straight seconds. WHOOOO bubububa WHOOOO bubububa WHOOOO bubububa...

Of course, I also lived right down the street from some major clubs, so Saturday nights were even worse. 2:30 AM, same thing.

I was very, very tempted to climb onto a nearby roof with a sniper rifle and take out some of the "loud pipes save lives" crowd. My only consolation was the knowledge that RI doesn't have a helmet law, so a huge percentage of those idiots are probably dead now. Thank god.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

I've pissed off a few douches by calling them fagpipes, the pipes, not the douches. Most of the people that have seen The F Word just laugh, though.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Pagan posted:

I used to live in the center of Providence, Rhode Island. Federal Hill, for other New Englanders. I lived in an apartment above a major thoroughfare, right at a major intersection with a long wait at a red light.

Summer was a nightmare. I didn't have air conditioning, so I had to keep the windows open. And every tiny dicked Harley riding loser would stop just underneath my living room window and rev their engine for 90 straight seconds. WHOOOO bubububa WHOOOO bubububa WHOOOO bubububa...

Of course, I also lived right down the street from some major clubs, so Saturday nights were even worse. 2:30 AM, same thing.

I was very, very tempted to climb onto a nearby roof with a sniper rifle and take out some of the "loud pipes save lives" crowd. My only consolation was the knowledge that RI doesn't have a helmet law, so a huge percentage of those idiots are probably dead now. Thank god.

I also wish death on people who make nose.

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

clutchpuck posted:

Oh Christ can you stop being some sort of loud pipes apologist? The only reason for WOOOOOObrapbrapbrapWOOOOOO is to prove how small your dick is and fit in with the certain sect of Harley culture.

As an aside, Loud Pipes Save Lives is the stupidest loving group self-rationalization I've ever seen, and I can't wait till I get confronted by a pirate idiot for wearing my PJ's Parts "If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride the thing would do" shirt. I live in a lovely blue collar part of town where Plumber Joes have more money in their Dodge Rams and Harleys than their houses so it shouldn't be much longer.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

clutchpuck posted:

it's called embellishing, chill out

HateTrain
Aug 21, 2007
Been ridin' way too long.

ReelBigLizard posted:

When I did my QRIDE course one of the other students was a young woman who, during the public road u-turn, managed to somehow turn so wide that she crossed four lanes (two each way), ran up a sloped curb and ended up in someone's front yard revving the engine, spraying dirt into the air and ruining a garden bed full of some very nice flowers. The instructor had to walk her bike back out onto the road for her.

She passed.

(In the instructor's defence, she was hot. :rolleyes:)

In the same group was a more experienced rider upgrading his license so he could ride bikes of any size. You basically do the same drills as the learners but on a 650 instead of a 250. He showed up on his litrebike (which he technically wasn't licensed to ride yet), bleary-eyed and hungover (perhaps still a little drunk?), left the course twice to vomit in the bushes and regaled the instructor with fascinating tales of hitting 190 km/h on the highway. He spent most of the road-ride portion out in front, at the direction of the instructor, because "you look like you know what you're doing", while the instructor rode along observing us novices.

He passed.

I really, really hope I just attended a bad riding school and the whole licensing system in this state isn't horribly broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest

Fixed Gear Guy posted:

I can't wait till I get confronted by a pirate idiot for wearing my PJ's Parts "If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride the thing would do" shirt.

That's some of the gooniest poo poo I've ever read.

• Locked thread