Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xomocekc
Aug 1, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Leovinus posted:

Great! Thanks.

I actually love the Job system from what I've seen so far, although twelve different jobs seems a bit much seeing as how I'll only be using three characters at once. There's no mixing and matching, right?

Actually... you may need to switch out characters for some battles. Only White Mages can get top tier healing magics (other classes can too, but only via special isolated licences which are accessed through esper licences that serve as "bridges") but you may not want a white mage around all time when dispatching mobs because their attack is low and they have low HP. When encountering a flying monster you will need a Machinist or a Hunter or a Black Mage. You will want a black mage, probably at all times. But various jobs have access to various technicks and kinds of magick. I found it that it was necessary to switch out characters. And for me personally it was fun.

However if you want to just use three people then you will absolutely need one white and one black mage and a Knight. You will miss out on Time Magick (no Haste for you) and ranged offensive capabilities, and you will need a big stack of Ethers at all times.

Also keep in mind that once you set a class for someone, they are stuck with it for the rest of the game. There's no way to change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Dragonatrix posted:

Best theory on that is Gogo is Adlai Stevenson. The whole idea is just so nonsensical and out there that it's amazing.

Well the correct answer is that Gogo is from final fantasy V

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Leovinus posted:

Great! Thanks.

I actually love the Job system from what I've seen so far, although twelve different jobs seems a bit much seeing as how I'll only be using three characters at once. There's no mixing and matching, right?

Unlike the vanilla version its actually ideal to keep all your characters properly leveled and make use of them.

MrAristocrates posted:

How is everyone here playing IZJS? Import?

Import, rip, apply english patch, emulate or SwapMagic.

MMF Freeway fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 2, 2012

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power

xomocekc posted:

I'm pretty sure most people are pirating it. I can't tell you where to find it here but it's not hard.

Speak for yourself, or better yet, keep it to yourself. The last thing we need is some kind of misguided ban on Zodiac talk :I

I LIKE FROSTYS
Sep 11, 2001

A good drink.
I was roleplaying as Twinkle (my name for the Angel in FF) and I can't figure out how to put a sword on her so she can fight. Do you need more magic points to get there or do you have to buy the sword online? Thanks.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
hmm quote is not edit.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Leovinus posted:

Great! Thanks.

You really should use all six party members in FFXII International. Since your characters are a lot more limited in what they can do and all.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Speaking of jobs, I'm looking at the FFV challenge stuff and am curious, what's so broken about Chemist? I've never actually beaten this game before, in part because I get deer in the headlights with all the jobs and want to level all of them and then it feels overwhelming and grindy, so I took the 4 job challenge.

So far I have Warrior and Red Mage, this luck can't continue I'm going to end up with Berserker :v:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Chemist can, with the right items, buff up your party to levels higher then possible, double max HP, do a ton of useful statuses positive and negative. The only problem is that you need to hunt for the items needed. But it's not that bad since they're all common drops.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

voltron lion force posted:

Import, rip, apply english patch, emulate or SwapMagic.

Alright, I'll probably end up doing that. Thankfully, I just got PCSX2 running on my computer so the actual emulation won't be a problem.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

xomocekc posted:

Actually... you may need to switch out characters for some battles. Only White Mages can get top tier healing magics (other classes can too, but only via special isolated licences which are accessed through esper licences that serve as "bridges") but you may not want a white mage around all time when dispatching mobs because their attack is low and they have low HP. When encountering a flying monster you will need a Machinist or a Hunter or a Black Mage. You will want a black mage, probably at all times. But various jobs have access to various technicks and kinds of magick. I found it that it was necessary to switch out characters. And for me personally it was fun.

Hmm. So in general I'm going to have to switch characters in and out and do twice as much grinding to keep them all competent?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

An important thing about FF12 grinding is that you get LP no matter what, so it's otherwise an issue of just keeping the character levels high.

I've never actually beat the game because I just grind it constantly because the plot is boring as gently caress but I love the combat and trying to powerlevel my way to places I shouldn't be :v:

How I would keep everyone even was to have the three lowest level people in my party at all times, eventually everyone gets pretty even and you basically just end up swapping people out as they just barely level above everyone else.

In the Zodiac version you have to worry about having a viable job combination but usually whatever three you pick will be able to kill trash. If it's an issue, pick A squad and B squad and swap back and forth between them. Of course for bosses, anything goes, and you'll be using all your characters anyway, which is kind of the point of evenly levelling everyone in the first place.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Leovinus posted:

Hmm. So in general I'm going to have to switch characters in and out and do twice as much grinding to keep them all competent?

You'll find that, especially in the early/mid game, your party will gain more power from licenses and equipment rather than levels. The license boards are smaller in IZJS so you'll get stat boosting licenses earlier and everyone gains LP regardless of if they're in the active party. By just playing normally, and switching characters around to keep the levels even, you won't have to do a lot of grinding until the end game stuff.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Is it really considered grinding to leave your PS2 on overnight?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Leovinus posted:

It's just that one repeated riff. The rest of the track doesn't really match up at all, even the riff is used differently.

I can never play Quest 64 now though, because my brain will fill in the FF7 battle theme after that riff.

I played Quest 64 wayyyyyy long before I ever played FF7. It's the other way around for me.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Boten Anna posted:

Speaking of jobs, I'm looking at the FFV challenge stuff and am curious, what's so broken about Chemist? I've never actually beaten this game before, in part because I get deer in the headlights with all the jobs and want to level all of them and then it feels overwhelming and grindy, so I took the 4 job challenge.

So far I have Warrior and Red Mage, this luck can't continue I'm going to end up with Berserker :v:

Unless you signed up for Hard Mode, you don't have to worry about getting a Berserker, since you've already got your Water Crystal job. And the Four Job Fiesta challenge is one of the few challenge runs where Berserker's not that bad to have.

And yeah, Dr. Pepper already summed up what's broken about the Chemist. !Mix will turn your party into unstoppable killing machines with the right ingredients. Even without !Mix, they can equip the Heal Staff from Castle Tycoon for what amounts to a free Cura every time their turn comes up in combat, any normal items they use are double-strength (so Hi-Potions heal for 1000 HP), and !Drink gives you access to a way to buff your levels, give yourself Protect, Haste, or double your HP.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Does the double-strength thing count for items used on other members? I don't remember being able to do that.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Pollyanna posted:

Does the double-strength thing count for items used on other members? I don't remember being able to do that.

IIRC, it counts if the Chemist uses it on someone else, but not if someone else uses it on the Chemist.

I reserve the right to be way wrong though.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

IIRC, it counts if the Chemist uses it on someone else, but not if someone else uses it on the Chemist.

Correct. It's the Chemist's passive ability, any healing items they use in battle are double-strength. This also applies to healing items created using !Mix. For example, Hi-Potion + Hi-Potion creates Hi-Potion+, which heals 900 damage normally, but heals 1800 if it's a Chemist using it.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Boten Anna posted:

Chemists are amazing for a few fights where you have the time to buff up your party one person at a time, one effect at a time, and where doing so is actually worthwhile. The rest of the time, they're so-so (no offense, but decent healing and recovery options). The problem is most battles, even bosses, either get killed quickly or will kill YOU before you can do all the buffing.

Leovinus posted:

Many people set up two 3-person teams that have physical and magical offense, and healing. Theoretically, that's all you'll need. Keeping six characters leveled gives you a lot more versatility for hard fights, and makes it harder for bosses to wipe you out since they have to cut through two decent teams instead of one.

On the other hand, if you just use one team and plan to do a lot of side content, you will soon be so overleveled that not much will pose much of a challenge.

xomocekc posted:

When encountering a flying monster you will need a Machinist or a Hunter or a Black Mage. You will want a black mage, probably at all times. [...]

However if you want to just use three people then you will absolutely need one white and one black mage and a Knight.

What? Almost everything you said here is wrong. At the very least, spears, bows, guns, crossbows, handbombs, poles, and rods can all hit flying monsters. Really, the only job that should have trouble hitting flyers is Knight.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Schwartzcough posted:

What? Almost everything you said here is wrong. At the very least, spears, bows, guns, crossbows, handbombs, poles, and rods can all hit flying monsters. Really, the only job that should have trouble hitting flyers is Knight.

I found knots of rust useful for classes that can't hit flying enemies easily. They do random damage based on the character's HP and you end up finding a ton of them anyways.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Well as predicted, my luck ran out, I got Bard for my Fire job :v:

Unless there's secret badassery I'm missing, I look forward to bard and rdm being kind of dead weight near end game :(

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Boten Anna posted:

Unless there's secret badassery I'm missing, I look forward to bard and rdm being kind of dead weight near end game :(

Bard is totally awesome. It can stop or confuse most random battles, and it can jack your speed or levels up for drawn-out battles, and it MURDERS the undead.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Does FJF have a signup sheet or sth? Edit also gently caress you Neo Shinryuu.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 2, 2012

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Pollyanna posted:

Does FJF have a signup sheet or sth? Edit also gently caress you Neo Shinryuu.

You signup through twitter. Here's everything you need to know:
http://www.letsplaying.com/lets-playing/FF5FF/help.php

The short answer is to tweet this:
@FF5ForFutures #reg

sunburstbasser
Dec 19, 2010
I never used the bard in FFV until doing the Fiesta.

Now, I don't see myself ever neglecting it. At the very least, I'll be throwing !Sing on someone in every playthrough. I found the bard far more useful than the red mage at the end of the game.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Boten Anna posted:

Allow me, if you will, to quote myself from earlier in this topic:

Vil posted:

An ode may not be an actual ode to the mighty bard:

Bards can raise the entire party's agility so much that you practically get your next turn instantly, like super haste. This lasts for the whole battle and persists through death.

Bards can raise the entire party's effective level so everyone does a ton of damage. This also lasts for the whole battle and persists through death. (So can the chemist if you get one, but the bard can do it without consumables.)

Bards will helpfully continue doing either of the above two things if they become zombified while doing them. (There's a death metal joke to be made here.)

Bards can stop or confuse (or both) the entire enemy party, making the majority of random encounters and a handful of bosses nearly harmless.

Bards can do a fuckton of damage to undead, making level grinding (if you need it) trivial in the right places.

Bards can also give the entire party regen, and raise strength and magic like they raise agility and level, but these are comparatively less interesting effects.

Bards can be mastered in a relatively trivial amount of AP, allowing any non-berserker to join in the singing fun.

Bards can do all the above for 0 MP, with no special equipment, and you've still got your ability slot to do with as you please.

Bards can hide offscreen to make sure someone survives that guaranteed final attack that wipes the rest of your party.

The above benefits are all basically job-independent, so bard synergizes with everything.

In short, bard is not a fire crystal job to complain about.

It's worth noting in addition that if you get bard and chemist, then you can have the bard use Apollo's Harp (8x damage to undead- and dragon-type enemies, always hits, full damage from back row) in conjunction with the chemist using Dragon's Kiss (makes any enemy into dragon-type) to become the mighty murderbard in world 3. :black101:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm tempted to go through FFV again with the Job Fiesta and a list of blue magic/missables so I don't gently caress anything up again. gently caress you, Neo Shinryuu. :colbert:

edit: My first job was Thief, does that mean I will get two Jobs as of tweeting #wind at Gilgabot or can I only use Thief until the Water crystal?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Aug 2, 2012

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Nah, tweeting #wind was only necessary for pre-registered players. You're stuck on Thief until Water Crystal.

You might wanna look at the FF5 Four Job Fiesta Tips Guide the IRC collaborated on. Be aware it does have spoilers.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Pollyanna posted:

My first job was Thief, does that mean I will get two Jobs as of tweeting #wind at Gilgabot or can I only use Thief until the Water crystal?

You have to use Thief until the Water Crystal. Have fun with Garula. :getin:

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Boten Anna posted:

Basically, the Chemist has !Drink and !Mix. !Drink alone is a decent enough skill, being able to self-apply Haste, Protect, and Double HP for free (drinks cost next to nothing gil-wise and are easily buyable). Additionally, Hero Drinks used en masse will let you output loads of damage. With just !Drink and a bit of time, any party member can become an offensive and defensive beast.

!Mix is what turns the Chemist from "really really really good" to "absolute bonkers". With !Mix, you can, at will, fully revive a party member (Potion plus Phoenix Down), fully restore a living party member's HP (Potion plus Ether) or MP (High Potion plus Ether), make a character absorb Fire (Ether plus Eye Drops), Ice (Phoenix Down plus Antidote), or Lightning (Phoenix Down plus Eye Drops), become immune to Instant Death (Holy Water plus Phoenix Down), cause a caster to boost all eight elements a la the Rune Chime (Eye Drops plus Holy Water), make a physical attacker have the three best attacking buffs of Berserk, Haste, and Image (Maiden's Kiss plus Holy Water), or simply set Float (Antidote plus Maiden's Kiss), Regen (Potion plus High Potion), or Confuse (Eye Drops plus Maiden's Kiss).

All of that up there? That's just with store bought items. For less than the cost of Curaga you have enough flexibility to put every single class to shame. On top of that, the three !Mix exclusive items are used in the most powerful combinations, and are easy enough to get. Turtle Shells can be grabbed from the Grass Tortoise outside Karnak/the Ancient Library, Dragon Fangs from the two undead dragons in Drakenvale, and Dark Matters from Prototype or Exdeath's Soul. These will let you do such things as:

-apply Protect and Shell (Turtle Shell plus Turtle Shell)
-heal all status effects (Turtle Shell plus Phoenix Down)
-drain thousands of HP at once (Turtle Shell plus Maiden's Kiss)
-become immune to Fire, Ice, and Lightning (Dragon Fang plus Ether)
-increase level by 20, twice that of the Hero Drink (Dragon Fang plus Potion)
-apply Reflect, Protect, Shell, and Regen (Dragon Fang plus Phoenix Down)
-apply the Dragon type and the Heavy type, causing Instant Death to fail, status effects to wear off nearly instantly, and Dragon damaging weaponry to do eight times the damage. (Dragon Fang plus Maiden's Kiss)
-deal Caster's HP in Fire/Ice/Lightning (Dragon's Fang plus Dragon's Fang) or Holy (Dragon's Fang plus Holy Water) damage.
-set a target to single digit HP (Dark Matter plus Elixir)
-set Instant Death to a target (Dark Matter plus Phoenix Down)
-deal Caster's HP in nonelemental damage (Dark Matter plus Dragon Fang)
-deal an absolutely massive amount of nonelemental, unblockable, defense and reflect piercing damage (Dark Matter plus Dark Matter)

All of that. In one command. For 45 AP. For comparison, !Summon takes nearly a whole job to pass one a bunch of unimpressive damage skills, a pair of strong defensive moves, an instant death attack, a couple of strong attacks, and a single target revive. It is commonly considered one of the best abilities in the game.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

"Until all four classes are unlocked, players are only permitted to use the classes they have currently unlocked."

Does this mean that I can change classes at will once I get to the fourth crystal, or is it still the 4 permutations thing?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Boten Anna posted:

Bards actually have higher magic than Red Mages, so giving your Red Mage Sing will boost their magic power a bit. Then, once you get Doublecast, change that character to a Bard, as s/he'll put it to better use than your Red Mage.

My team during the FJF was Monk/Berserker/Bard/Red Mage, and the Bard was easily my MVP. His ability to wreck undead is valuable if you want to grind, as there's a dungeon or two that has exclusively undead. His other songs are amazing as well, as boosting speed makes your team run circles around the enemy, magic will boost the hell out of your damage output, and levels just let you wreck poo poo. Plus, free Regen. And that doesn't even factor the stat buffs it gave my Red Mage and Berserker (seriously, giving Berserker high magic gives them more MP to wreck poo poo with using the Rune Axe).

The worst part about the Bard is having to wait until you beat the annoying Byblos to get it. At least you have Red Mages to scorch that rear end in a top hat.

Pollyanna posted:

"Until all four classes are unlocked, players are only permitted to use the classes they have currently unlocked."

Does this mean that I can change classes at will once I get to the fourth crystal, or is it still the 4 permutations thing?

You can still change classes even after getting the fourth crystal. It's just you have to have one of each class at all times. So once you get the Water Crystal, for example, you can have three Thieves or one of the job you get, or three of that job and one Thief, or two of each. Once you get the final crystal, you must have one of each, but you can swap characters around. It's useful if you want to grind RapidFire or Doublecast or whatever for multiple characters.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Aug 2, 2012

xomocekc
Aug 1, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Schwartzcough posted:

Bows and crossbows are Hunters. And guns are Machinists. I guess I could have said Uhlans are also useful. Bombs are isolated licences for the Black Mage. I don't count isolated licences because they require Espers.

Furthermore I was using that example as an illustration of why you need to switch out characters. I wasn't implying only Hunters and Machinists can hit flying mobs, (I guess I actually was but whatever, I'm not a strategy guide) but they were the only ones that could in my playthrough along with the Black Mages' magick of course.

The point I was making is that you need to switch out characters because they're limited in what they can do and you will need different abilities for different encounters.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So, uh. By making Penelo a white mage when she was in my party, I seem to have hosed myself out of decent curative spells in the dungeons. How long am I going to be without a good healer?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

xomocekc posted:

Bows and crossbows are Hunters. And guns are Machinists. I guess I could have said Uhlans are also useful. Bombs are isolated licences for the Black Mage. I don't count isolated licences because they require Espers.

Actually, Hunters are knives, ninja swords, and guns. Archers have bows, and Time Mages have crossbows. Breakers get Handbombs normally in addition to hammers and axes. And as I pointed out, spears, poles, and rods have all been modified to hit fliers in IZJS, so the amount of characters that can't hit fliers through weapons or easily available magic is really, really small.

While it's true that it's useful to switch around party members based on the situation, it's not hard to make a single team that can conceivably take on anything. The real roadblocks would be the Esper battles where different abilities are locked, which could totally nerf certain teams (like locking magic will shut down a team including both White Mage and Black Mage).

Edit:

Leovinus posted:

So, uh. By making Penelo a white mage when she was in my party, I seem to have hosed myself out of decent curative spells in the dungeons. How long am I going to be without a good healer?

Yeah, that kinda sucks. Fran and Ashe both come with the basic Cure spell which isn't bad (especially if they're a class with some Magick Lores, like one of the other magic classes). Hopefully you have some classes with a few Potion Lores, which can make item healing pretty good.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 2, 2012

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You'll get Penelo back in your party permanently after a few dungeons, and you'll never really need more than potions until then. Also, Fran can cast Cure no matter what her class is.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Fister Roboto posted:

You'll get Penelo back in your party permanently after a few dungeons, and you'll never really need more than potions until then. Also, Fran can cast Cure no matter what her class is.

Oh, so she can. Cheers.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, basically any character that started out with ablities in the vanilla game can use those abilities no matter their class in IZJS. So Van can always steal, Balthier can always use the first two guns, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Bards actually have higher magic than Red Mages, so giving your Red Mage Sing Equip Harps will boost their magic power a bit. Then, once you get Doublecast, change that character to a Bard, as s/he'll put it to better use than your Red Mage.

Fixed that for you.

But otherwise, yeah, like everyone else has already said, Bards are fantastic in FFV.