Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Hold up, when you say you can monitor the input the input while it's recording, can you hear it? Or just see the waveform popping up? There's always going to be some lag (depending on drivers and settings and such) so ideally you'd have speakers connected to the interface itself.

If you never get to hear it as a live input at all... you could try going to Playback Devices in the speaker icon again, choose your speakers and do Properties, and make sure the USB inputs aren't muted or at zero volume. Also try flicking that Monitor switch on your box - you might want to play some music through it while you experiment, just so when something finally works you'll hear it. It might be worth installing Reaper and seeing if that handles the box properly, aaaaand maybe install your latest drivers just in case (ASIO will help reduce lag at least). No idea if their own driver is better than ASIO4ALL, but the latter is usually recommended!

If you want any help with the Reaper thing just shout, it's not hard but there's a few things to find (selecting the audio device and audio system in the preferences, creating a new track, selecting the box as the input, turning on monitoring and arming it for recording)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Thanks again for your answers dude :)

baka kaba posted:

Hold up, when you say you can monitor the input the input while it's recording, can you hear it? Or just see the waveform popping up? There's always going to be some lag (depending on drivers and settings and such) so ideally you'd have speakers connected to the interface itself.

Yeah, I can monitor the input while recording if I enable Software Playthrough in Audacity, but only while recording, so it's not the answer.

baka kaba posted:

If you never get to hear it as a live input at all... you could try going to Playback Devices in the speaker icon again, choose your speakers and do Properties, and make sure the USB inputs aren't muted or at zero volume. Also try flicking that Monitor switch on your box - you might want to play some music through it while you experiment, just so when something finally works you'll hear it.

That's interesting - the USB microphone, as Windows likes to call this device, doesn't actually show up on the speakers' Levels tab list. Could that somehow be linked to this issue?

quote:

It might be worth installing Reaper and seeing if that handles the box properly, aaaaand maybe install your latest drivers just in case (ASIO will help reduce lag at least). No idea if their own driver is better than ASIO4ALL, but the latter is usually recommended!

I actually had installed Reaper but my evaluation period is long gone. I tried the energyXT2.5 DAW that came free with the device, and that made the ASIO window pop up, but I wasn't able to get anything out of that.

Updated the driver but nothing of interest happened, as far as I can tell.

Like I mentioned, the speakers play the input just fine if I plug it into the laptop's onboard line-in, even if I have no extra programs like Audacity open.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

That's interesting - the USB microphone, as Windows likes to call this device, doesn't actually show up on the speakers' Levels tab list. Could that somehow be linked to this issue?

I have a USB mic (basically attached to a webcam) and that doesn't show up in my Speakers playback mixer thing, but it does show up in Recording Devices - and that's where I get my Listen To This option. If I turn that on I can hear whatever the mic is picking up all the time, which I guess is what you want? And when that's on I get a volume slider in the normal volume mixer.

I don't know how much of this is down to my onboard audio drivers (Realtek) and how much is down to what the webcam/mic's drivers present to Windows. Give Reaper a try though, the evaluation period never actually expires (as far as I know), you just have to click on the window and wait for the button to count down. Basically just to see if it's possible to monitor without recording - and I don't see why you couldn't, the program's still getting the input either way whether it's storing it or not. I guess this is relevant too:
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Recording_levels
But I think Reaper's more likely to do it right if it's a more complicated thing

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Dan Hollis posted:

Do a "Pink Floyd/Wizard Of Oz" thing where you break down a famous movie into a dozen or so parts and have people create songs that match those scenes.

This sounds like a really great idea in general, I'm not sure however how to start it! Any pointers would be really helpful or if someone wants to create it I think it sounds like it could be a hit :)

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Hm. We want something modern, something people can relate to...
Office Space? It's got music, but it's all rap, so there's a modern beat to it.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
I didn't see a brass or sax megathread, so I'll just ask here instead.

Does anyone here know a good book/site/resource for learning the sax? I've been interested in the instrument lately, and a friend just might lend me his in the near future so I thought about getting some prep before.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

baka kaba posted:

I have a USB mic (basically attached to a webcam) and that doesn't show up in my Speakers playback mixer thing, but it does show up in Recording Devices - and that's where I get my Listen To This option. If I turn that on I can hear whatever the mic is picking up all the time, which I guess is what you want? And when that's on I get a volume slider in the normal volume mixer.

I don't know how much of this is down to my onboard audio drivers (Realtek) and how much is down to what the webcam/mic's drivers present to Windows. Give Reaper a try though, the evaluation period never actually expires (as far as I know), you just have to click on the window and wait for the button to count down. Basically just to see if it's possible to monitor without recording - and I don't see why you couldn't, the program's still getting the input either way whether it's storing it or not. I guess this is relevant too:
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Recording_levels
But I think Reaper's more likely to do it right if it's a more complicated thing

Yeah, that's what I'm going for. I also have Realtek drivers onboard, so maybe there's something going on with the device's own drivers. Hmm. I'll have to experiment more later and see if I can figure it out. And I guess if all else fails I can just be content with plugging the speakers into the USB device's own phones output and monitor from there, even if it might not be the result I was looking for. Thanks again for your suggestions!

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jul 13, 2012

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Got a question here: I'm a singer in a 4 piece rockband. We're loud, and I'm fond of my hearing, so I want to wear ear protection on stage. I also want to hear myself, the band, and our mix, so I need a monitor.

Solution! An in ear monitor.

So correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm lookin at getting a Shure PSM 900, specifically the p9tra. With this system, would it be possible for all 4 bandmembers, once they buy a receiver pack and headphones, to hear the mix (or even an individually personalized mix)?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

The Bananana posted:

Got a question here: I'm a singer in a 4 piece rockband. We're loud, and I'm fond of my hearing, so I want to wear ear protection on stage. I also want to hear myself, the band, and our mix, so I need a monitor.

Solution! An in ear monitor.

So correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm lookin at getting a Shure PSM 900, specifically the p9tra. With this system, would it be possible for all 4 bandmembers, once they buy a receiver pack and headphones, to hear the mix (or even an individually personalized mix)?

Not a personalized mix, no. Each transmitter has two inputs, though these are used for the MixMode feature and I'm not sure how capable the system is of running only one or the other in a given receiver. Theoretically you could pick up 4 receivers and get the same signal off of a single transmitter, but using multiple receivers like this is prone to transmission issues and dropouts. The ideal situation is always going to be to use a single receiver/transmitter combo for each member of the band, though I know that gets costly.

But the hard and fast answer is no, you can't do personalized mixes in the PSM 900, or at the very least, not more than two.

Also, if you get IEMs, I strongly recommend you set up a crowd mic for your shows. It's a lot easier to get totally thrown by the lack of crowd noise than you might expect. Additionally, IEMs aren't worth it if you don't have a competent mixer who can handle your monitor needs, unless you personally can do it and are willing to take the time to dial in the monitor mix levels at every show.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Great. That, plus some info I got from a dude at guitar center pretty much answers my question. Thanks.

Next question:

Got a 2009 MacBook, and I was wondering if I could run Protools 8 le on it with my mbox 2 mini.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

The Bananana posted:

Great. That, plus some info I got from a dude at guitar center pretty much answers my question. Thanks.

Next question:

Got a 2009 MacBook, and I was wondering if I could run Protools 8 le on it with my mbox 2 mini.

Ostensibly, yes. I'll warn you though that I've had latency issues with pretty much every M-audio interface I've ever used, and for reasons I could never figure out, it was usually so much worse with ProTools. You'll obviously want to make sure you have the necessary processing power to do what you want to do with ProTools, but otherwise there's not really any reason you couldn't run it.

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

Ostensibly, yes. I'll warn you though that I've had latency issues with pretty much every M-audio interface I've ever used, and for reasons I could never figure out, it was usually so much worse with ProTools. You'll obviously want to make sure you have the necessary processing power to do what you want to do with ProTools, but otherwise there's not really any reason you couldn't run it.

Most people I know just avoid M-boxes like the plague. It's one of the big reasons the Pro Tools version that was M-powered wasn't as popular. M-boxes are pretty cheap but they just aren't that good, imho.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Bleh, looked into my problem more and it appears the root of it is the simple fact that I'm using Vista, which apparently just doesn't allow live monitoring of microphone inputs, and since Vista recognizes the Behringer UCA222 as a USB microphone... Brilliant. Oh well, maybe I'll get around to upgrading to Windows 7 at some point.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A friend of mine wanted me to audition to play in his band. I agreed to the audition but now that I've given their music a listen, I'm having some second thoughts. The music is awful, bordering on unsalvageable. I figured I should give it a shot anyway because I've always played solo and I'd like some band experience but I'm having trouble making up my mind. They're a gigging band so I'll get some experience with the local music scene, but is it worth it to play for them just for band experience?

By "they're bad" I mean that I could make better music when I was 14.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Dolphin posted:

A friend of mine wanted me to audition to play in his band. I agreed to the audition but now that I've given their music a listen, I'm having some second thoughts. The music is awful, bordering on unsalvageable. I figured I should give it a shot anyway because I've always played solo and I'd like some band experience but I'm having trouble making up my mind. They're a gigging band so I'll get some experience with the local music scene, but is it worth it to play for them just for band experience?

By "they're bad" I mean that I could make better music when I was 14.

If you don't have any other people to play with, go for it. Worst case scenario you stand out as the good musician amongst the chucklefucks.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Manky posted:

If you don't have any other people to play with, go for it. Worst case scenario you stand out as the good musician amongst the chucklefucks.

And in a world that is good, the chucklefucks will go "Oh man, I'm totally the one holding this band back" and they'll all practice and study and become phenomenal musicians and you'll laugh all the way to the bank. :unsmith:

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 19, 2012

breaks
May 12, 2001

Don't do it if you want to keep being his friend.

Detention
Oct 22, 2000

When the police came and they asked what happened I told them "He's reaping what he's been sowing, that's what." They said "Fucker been sowing some pretty heavy shit"
So, I made the mistake of buying a cheap Hosa Technology TrackLink MIDI to USB interface, but have no idea how to sync it to Ableton Live so I can use an old Casio CTK-593 keyboard to control instruments in Live.

Windows 7 has recognized it as "USB Midi" and I used this video to install a 64-bit driver for old Casio keyboards, but I guess it doesn't do any real good without knowing what Control Surface to select in Live.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6xlE3BN9Zs

Where the hell do I go from here?

Please forgive me if this question has been asked 100 times before, but this thread *is* approaching 60 pages, after all.

Edit: Nevermind... I asked somebody on IRC and I'm pretty sure this interface is just a piece of poo poo. I'm almost certain I have Live set up correctly.

Detention fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 23, 2012

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Are there any good sites out there that have info on orchestra layouts ad symphony structure? I'm looking to incorporate some classical music structure in my music but I have a pretty big knowledge gap when it comes to the more theoretical approach.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

breaks posted:

Don't do it if you want to keep being his friend.
Ding ding ding. Jesus Christ.

Crudus
Nov 14, 2006

cat doter posted:

Are there any good sites out there that have info on orchestra layouts ad symphony structure? I'm looking to incorporate some classical music structure in my music but I have a pretty big knowledge gap when it comes to the more theoretical approach.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orchestra#Instrumentation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphony

Sorry for the low effort response, but honestly this stuff is pretty easy to find. Just keep score order in mind (from the top down): Winds, Brass, Percussion, Strings.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Crudus posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orchestra#Instrumentation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphony

Sorry for the low effort response, but honestly this stuff is pretty easy to find. Just keep score order in mind (from the top down): Winds, Brass, Percussion, Strings.

Wikipedia is great for surface level descriptions of stuff, but I'm looking for more specifics. I'm not talking about just the number of instruments in certain periods of classical music (although looking at current orchestra sizes, is it necessary for them to be that bloody large?) but the specific placements of the instruments in auditoriums or what have you. Why they're placed in certain areas, what advantages that entails, stuff like that. I'm very fascinated by acoustics and replicating that in recordings, but also playing with that perception by placing instruments with similar tones in the same areas as more traditional instruments, such as having a synth with a very viola type tone placed in a very orchestra like mix where the violas would traditionally be placed.

But apart from that, I find movement structure to be particularly interesting because you can write music very unlike typical classical music, but place it in a more symphonic structure, and create something interesting. I mean, I can do that kind of thing now, I just wanted to understand that structure on a more fundamental level.

Crudus
Nov 14, 2006

http://bit.ly/NYkLqE

Look at the pictures. This stuff is really easy to find.

I don't really understand exactly what you are interested in, but I think the resources are definitely out there without taking much more effort than a google search. These aren't niche ideas, orchestra structure and musical forms have been around for hundreds of years.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Is there a thread here or in NMD for us nerds who play band and orchestral instruments (violins, trumpets etc.)? I looked for a bit but couldn't find one.

Jives
May 1, 2011
My guitar currently has three knobs on it, one for tone, one for the volume of the bridge pick-up, and one for the volume of the neck pick up. This is annoying because it means I can't do volume swells, or easily control the volume, when I am using both pick-ups.

Ideally I'd like to change this to keep the tone know, have one knob for overall volume, and one that blends between bridge and neck pick up with the selector in the middle position. Is this even possible? Will it be hard?

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Jives posted:

My guitar currently has three knobs on it, one for tone, one for the volume of the bridge pick-up, and one for the volume of the neck pick up. This is annoying because it means I can't do volume swells, or easily control the volume, when I am using both pick-ups.

Ideally I'd like to change this to keep the tone know, have one knob for overall volume, and one that blends between bridge and neck pick up with the selector in the middle position. Is this even possible? Will it be hard?

http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/Electronics/Pots/i-4137.html

Looks like the second one down is what you want. Should be pretty simple.

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS
A pricier alternative would be a volume pedal of some sort. I'm not much of a techie so that's what I'd prefer myself.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Posted in the recording thread, but figured it'd be good to ask here too...

Are there any substantial differences between the M-Audio 2nd Gen Axiom midi controllers and the Axiom Pro models?

Long Wang
Aug 28, 2006

If I decided to buy a flat, I would usually become a leaseholder, ie. I would lease the property from the freeholder. What I don't understand is, what happens if when the lease expires the freeholder doesn't allow me or anyone to renew.

What happens to the money I spent buying the flat?

Edit: Ignore this, wrong thread.

Long Wang fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 2, 2012

Crudus
Nov 14, 2006

I think you may have posted that in the wrong forum's "Small Questions" thread.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Anyone know if you can convince Guitar Center sales-people to apply online instant-rebates in the store?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Long Wang posted:

If I decided to buy a flat, I would usually become a leaseholder, ie. I would lease the property from the freeholder. What I don't understand is, what happens if when the lease expires the freeholder doesn't allow me or anyone to renew.

What happens to a flat depends on the keyholder's signature, e.g. it could be ruled as accidental.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

:golfclap: Someone's sharp today!

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
We're all pretty in tune withe nature of thread here.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Why do threads go into pun-spirals? Can't everything be natural?

Like C or A minor. :haw:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
My wife inherited a 150 year old German violin, along the way someone replaced the tailpiece with a plastic one. She wants to take it somewhere and and have the plastic replaced with ebony but it looks pretty straightforward and I should be able to do it. Is there any good reason not to just order one from StewMac and do it myself?

Crudus
Nov 14, 2006

To replace it, no, but you may want to bring it to someone who knows violins to give the instrument a once-over/tune it well.

Wikipedia posted:

Setting up tailpieces

A well-set-up instrument from the violin family will have attention paid to the tuning of the afterlength, or string length on the tailpiece side of the bridge. On many instruments it is set to 1/6 the playing length, or length between nut and bridge, sounding two octaves and a fifth above the open note of the playing length.[1] This tuning may be varied to give certain desired effects.[2]

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Does anyone still have the CR-78 sample that was being distributed for free a few years ago? I lost that in a computer move and can't find it again. I know it was originally free when I downloaded it so I hope that doesn't count as :filez:

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

What's a good way to mic an acoustic fretless bass? It has a pickup that I'm not too in love with. I have a stereo pair of condensers that I use in an x/y setup to record my acoustic guitar, but I can't seem to find a sweet spot for mic'ing the bass like that; it comes off dull and doesn't really cut through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

stuart scott irl posted:

What's a good way to mic an acoustic fretless bass? It has a pickup that I'm not too in love with. I have a stereo pair of condensers that I use in an x/y setup to record my acoustic guitar, but I can't seem to find a sweet spot for mic'ing the bass like that; it comes off dull and doesn't really cut through.

Point one at the 12th "fret" and one at the bridge, and mix to taste (check your phase though!)