Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.

Paragon8 posted:

it isn't that she's pooping out a pole but rather the pole is distorted a bit.

I think you've achieved what you're going for but I'm not really a fan of those poses in general. I prefer strong confident poses whereas this is a bit too "hello boys!" for me.

Ah i didn't actually see the warping in the pole till now, which is surprising, as it's 50mm on crop sensor.
I'll see what i can do about that.

Spedman - Yea, I think I'll tone it down a little. I do want a heavily processed look, but I want it to be a good one :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Verman posted:

Had a friend of mine request some help with photography for this side project hes working on (some sort of simple online clothing line) and asked me if I would be interested in shooting it.

He wanted something sort of sexy girl next door, don't ask me about the creative, I was just going with what he wanted and ended up with this. I gave him the raw files and it looks like he posted everything without any sort of eding/touchups. Some of the shots look a lot more blown out after he saved them for web. Eh, it was fun.

http://shaneermitano.com/holden/shoots/072112/index.html

Looks great, it smacks of Me In My Place. Just never give away raw files. It's like handing out your negatives. I would never give a client anything that I wasn't 100% finished with, because who knows what kind of gaudy instagram filters they will think they have license to slap on there and associate my name with.

Frame and crop better, the non-couch shots have a lot of distractions in the corners, like cords and such. And try to draw the curtains if you can, the inside light is exposed properly, but the outside goes to nuclear. What you want to do is to make the two lights even, either by cutting down the outside light, or boosting the inside light with flash. I use my light meter to figure out the contrast ratios, but you can do the same with the spot meter through the view finder.

Aside from the technical stuff, it looks like you have good instincts, and the model seems comfortable, which makes your job 100% easier. Good Job!

VVV that's awesome. In that case, I'd say have someone hold up a sheet on the opposite side of the window to act as a reflector. or shoot the mono off the ceiling, or into a sheet. Sometimes you have to get creative to work around restrictions.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 23, 2012

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Thanks for the input, I will keep my eye tuned to the details a bit more. I really struggled because it was such a tight place that my 50 1.8 was too long on my 50d so I had to use the 17-50 2.8 most of the time. It makes me really want the 30 1.4 now. But I will keep an eye out for the details, I should have added another layer of diffusion in the window because it was such a great source, just too bright. I tried balancing the flash and using it to fill but I had a hard time making it look natural which is why it only appears in the bedroom shots and it was bounced off the ceiling at an angle at about 1/32 power.

I brought my monolights and modifiers but they never made it out of the bin. Just too much flash for the natural look he wanted. Most shots were camera and reflector only.

He's one of my best friends, its his venture and we've worked together a lot in the past so I'm comfortable with what he wants to do with the photos, but it sounds like he wants to leave them mostly as is since this will just be spec work for his site. If this were anyone else they would have been more refined in post and definitely not raw.

Also, he had me in my place in mind for stylistic inspiration. "I want something cute and sexy, but not trashy like American Apparel. Think of a girlfriend in your favorite tee."

And the model was also a real photographer but never told me what to do thankfully. She was so great, knew how to pose and was super comfortable and helpful. She even instructed my friend on how to aim the reflector. I was thankful she let me do my thing and we talked after about how wierd it can be with two photographers in the room.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

red19fire posted:

These are awesome, how did you land this gig? I want to shoot for swimwear companies too! If I had to give any critique, I'd say the sunlight is too sharp, maybe throw up a diffusion panel. Though I know california sunbounce 6' panels are :laffo: expensive.

Thank you! Long story short I've known the company owner for awhile and she got a lot of money from a deal on national television here in Canada this year and I bluntly asked her if I could get the gig to do an editorial for her :)

I was using one 6' silver reflector (get them from ebay, so much cheaper). The time of the day was far from ideal and if I had another assistant it would have been a good idea to diffuse the light as it was harsh.

The only thing that's bothering me is the tight cropping but I'm still very happy with how it came out! :)

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A few from a bar shoot I did a couple nights ago. We were supposed to be getting semi abstract details of the location, but the creative director started drinking and decided to switch everything mid shoot when a lady friend showed up. Think it turned out allright despite no planning and creative director being not particularly helpful:

http://jonhustead.smugmug.com/Other/HG-Night-Shoot/24340312_ww8w3z#!i=1983039890&k=F7mwHgV

sw1gger
Sep 19, 2004
meowcakes
Decided to incorporate a brand into an art concept.

sw1gger
Sep 19, 2004
meowcakes

Cyberbob posted:

Thoughts?

I love it, but my wife (also a photog) can't unsee the "pooping out a pole" aspect of it.

I don't mind it - but does she seem blurry to anyone else?

Turd Nelson
Nov 21, 2008
I went on a boat ride in Fethiye (a town off the cost of western Turkey)and worked on doing portraits of my friends/family.

20120709-IMG_8599 by Jenseales, on Flickr

20120709-IMG_8512 by Jenseales, on Flickr

20120709-IMG_8626 by Jenseales, on Flickr

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Cyberbob posted:

Thoughts?

I love it, but my wife (also a photog) can't unsee the "pooping out a pole" aspect of it.

This is very, very strange. Good job.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Reichstag posted:

28 Dommes Later :o:

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

Close the thread, Turd Nelson has won.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006

Reichstag posted:

Haha, thanks, I think.

I actually went back to the RAW drawing board and started again on processing this lot.

Ended up deciding a different pose was better, with slightly different processing too.

Leia on Southbank #2 by Rick0r McZany, on Flickr

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Cyberbob posted:

Haha, thanks, I think.

I actually went back to the RAW drawing board and started again on processing this lot.

Ended up deciding a different pose was better, with slightly different processing too.

Leia on Southbank #2 by Rick0r McZany, on Flickr

Maybe I'm over-sensitive to horizons and the like these days, but I'm not keen on how wonky it looks. Also, the low angle isn't very flattering on her face. Maybe it's supposed to be more about the clothes, but looking at the eye-level shot ("in Deer Couture") of her, you can see that's she incredibly beautiful. On Southbank 2, the angle of her face and possibly the uneven lighting on the face changes the shape of it significantly.

I'm not sure about the composition and her right hand coming out of her hair looks a bit odd. It might be me, but it seems like the buildings in the bg are in sharper focus than she is.

Sorry, that was a bit of a drubbing, but y'know. I've just seen a lot of photos of alt chicks in rubber / latex, so it's easier to be negative about them, I guess.

I'd be interested to see what this is like OOC, though.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Cyberbob posted:

Sorry, but I think that the post processing is pretty bad - it's too yellow/green.
Here is a quick edit. I'm sure the sky looked better before processing.

Your edit / Warm edit / Cool edit

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Santa is strapped posted:

Sorry, but I think that the post processing is pretty bad - it's too yellow/green.
Here is a quick edit. I'm sure the sky looked better before processing.

Your edit / Warm edit / Cool edit

I prefer the first one.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006

Gazmachine posted:

Maybe I'm over-sensitive to horizons and the like these days, but I'm not keen on how wonky it looks. Also, the low angle isn't very flattering on her face. Maybe it's supposed to be more about the clothes, but looking at the eye-level shot ("in Deer Couture") of her, you can see that's she incredibly beautiful. On Southbank 2, the angle of her face and possibly the uneven lighting on the face changes the shape of it significantly.

I'm not sure about the composition and her right hand coming out of her hair looks a bit odd. It might be me, but it seems like the buildings in the bg are in sharper focus than she is.

Sorry, that was a bit of a drubbing, but y'know. I've just seen a lot of photos of alt chicks in rubber / latex, so it's easier to be negative about them, I guess.

Thanks man, I get where you're coming from. The horizon was bugging me too. We're not parallel to the cityscape, so we're always going to have converging lines to a vanishing point somewhere, it was just a matter of choosing which line looked best to be the artificial horizon, cautious because too much of an angle would make the pole look wonky.

I'm still finding a style that works for me (not necessarily the one that is most popular, just trying poo poo out) so it's always good to get feedback.
I'll post the OOC version a bit later if ya like.

Leia in Deer Couture by Rick0r McZany, on Flickr

This eye level one you mentioned was my 'safe shot'. If these riverfront ones didn't work, I was pretty sure I had 'the shot' in the safer eye level one, so anything extra was just gravy so I was pushing the envelope a little for these ones. :)
"Fail Hard" i say :D

Cyberbob fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 27, 2012

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Cyberbob posted:

Thanks man, I get where you're coming from. The horizon was bugging me too. We're not parallel to the cityscape, so we're always going to have converging lines to a vanishing point somewhere, it was just a matter of choosing which line looked best to be the artificial horizon, cautious because too much of an angle would make the pole look wonky.

I'm still finding a style that works for me (not necessarily the one that is most popular, just trying poo poo out) so it's always good to get feedback.
I'll post the OOC version a bit later if ya like.

Leia in Deer Couture by Rick0r McZany, on Flickr

This eye level one you mentioned was my 'safe shot'. If these riverfront ones didn't work, I was pretty sure I had 'the shot' in the safer eye level one, so anything extra was just gravy so I was pushing the envelope a little for these ones. :)
"Fail Hard" i say :D

If you're still open to critique on this one I would recommend evening out where her skin bulges out of the tight straps with some liquify

MrOpus
Mar 21, 2004

Help. I can't decide if I should crop out the horizon or not. With the horizon it's clear there is water behind her. When I crop it out, it could just be sky, there's no way to tell. Also, I think the hair highlights are more noticeable with the horizon visible. Still, my eyes are drawn to that little orange strip at the top of the photo, and I don't think they should initially. Maybe it's just from me staring at it for too long. :/

Jenna by Chad Larson Photography, on Flickr

Jenna - Horizon cropped out by Chad Larson Photography, on Flickr

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Control your shadows instead of worrying about the horizon 8D

MrOpus
Mar 21, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

Control your shadows instead of worrying about the horizon 8D

Forgot the reflector in the car 8D

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

MrOpus posted:

Forgot the reflector in the car 8D
surely there's a little bit of the sun that's rim lighting her creeping in that you can pull out of the blacks in Lightroom? I can't believe those are pure blackhole shadows with all the other light in the shot :o:

I prefer losing the orange sky, but it makes the top crop a touch tight for my liking.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Thoughts? Something different from the same shoot as before.

Leia in Deer Couture, Commercial #1 by Rick0r McZany, on Flickr

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006

Gazmachine posted:

Here ya go. This is an export directly from RAW. I'd appreciate it if people don't "give it a go" though.. It's just because you asked nicely. :)

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Cyberbob posted:

I think this one is better than all the others. I can't explain why, but I feel that way. Maybe because it focuses more on the model and the colors are generally pleasing, and you still get a little of the city without it overpowering the photo.

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
I was just playing with a 50mm f/1.4 that I was able to borrow. Focus is hard... One eye is out and it's not even that far in front of the other one :(

A. by Clwn, on Flickr

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

don't worry, focus is bourgeoisie anyway

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Or you could... stop... down...

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

evil_bunnY posted:

Or you could... stop... down...

There may be a reason why this person chose to use an f/1.4 lens instead of a vastly cheaper f/1.8 lens, and I bet it doesn't involve stopping down.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
On a Canon 550D, from half a meter away, the depth of field when using a 50mm f1.4 is 4.8mm. That's tiny. That means that the end of an eye lash may be in focus, but the eyeball won't be.

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

Cyberbob fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 29, 2012

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
Yes, I could have stopped down but I was just playing with the 1.4 side of things really :)
That DOF calculator is kind of interesting, thanks!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

SoundMonkey posted:

There may be a reason why this person chose to use an f/1.4 lens instead of a vastly cheaper f/1.8 lens, and I bet it doesn't involve stopping down.
I think it involves gently patting his photog peener :mad:

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Cyberbob posted:

This is much better - I like the pose and the background is nicely composed without dominating the image. Lovely straight verticals. Her legs are amazing, and this puts a lot of emphasis on them. It's also lit a lot better.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Old old college work I found in a box, digitised using my ipad as a lightbox and a crappy macro lens - I might have to get these properly scanned for old times sake :)

Reb 01 by NoneMoreNegative, on Flickr

Neil 01 by NoneMoreNegative, on Flickr

1995-ish, so I'll have been around 22 when these were taken :o:

35mm B&W film printed onto 5X4 ortholith film and mounted.

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 1, 2012

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Nice! Old school :)

You know, you should experiment with that scanning method and see where it takes you - could lead to some interesting images (so long as you put composition first and process second, of course).

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!

Paragon8 posted:

If you're still open to critique on this one I would recommend evening out where her skin bulges out of the tight straps with some liquify

I agree with this opinion.

Clown posted:

I was just playing with a 50mm f/1.4 that I was able to borrow. Focus is hard... One eye is out and it's not even that far in front of the other one :(

A. by Clwn, on Flickr

In addition to stepping down I would have edited out that bit of flaked skin by the eyebrow on right side of image.

This is pretty badass.

I took some photos last week or so and am hoping for some critique/insight. I'd also love if any of you would help me select three or four of the stronger shots.

http://jyiphoto.com/blog/2012/july/sherilolita/

I've gotten in some weird photography rut. Some days I feel pretty good and others I hate everything I've ever shot. I don't even know how I feel about this set.

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
Ah, good spot. I never think to clean up skin. I guess it's part and parcel of portraiture these days and something I should work on.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Couple o' me lovelies from a last-minute request to cover a new night out when their regular photog. failed to show :o:

Miss Ebony Silk by NoneMoreNegative, on Flickr

Miss Felicity Switch by NoneMoreNegative, on Flickr

If I go back and cover for them again I'm going to schlup my big bag of brollies, stands and cables along, there's some nice areas to shoot around in the venue that would benefit from proper lighting rather than just the stofen'd speedlight here.

<edit> Actually, I'd really like to get a ringflash for shooting against the big padded wall in the first shot, I think the concentric shadows and minimal shadow off whoevers modelling for me would make for a good photo.

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 2, 2012

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

You did a fine job. The best picture I've ever taken was with on camera flash.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Intentional or not, this photo really works with some of your prior work, but posting it alone is just asking for it to be critiqued on its own, where the possible meaning is lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I posted a portrait on the previous page and someone commented that light was too contrasty and a reflector would help. I took this afterwards right next to a white wall to reflect the light back and I think it looks much more balanced.

Can someone recommend a clamp or something to attach a reflector to a stand for when a wall isn't handy or should I just skip ahead and buy a second flash/stand/umbrella?

I like doing these headshots, but my next goal is to get outside and try portraits with some environment around the subject.