Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I've been sitting on mostly AAPL and some NLY for a while, but I feel like I've missed out on the Dow's run to 13,000. Should I just guy some SPY and be done with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products

Josh Lyman posted:

I've been sitting on mostly AAPL and some NLY for a while, but I feel like I've missed out on the Dow's run to 13,000. Should I just guy some SPY and be done with it?

How long have you been sitting on AAPL? If you got in even not that long ago you should be doing really well with it. I got in at around $380 :banjo:

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Dolphin posted:

If I made a bunch of money off that glitch what's the chance that they modify my trades?

The spikes weren't as bad as the flash crash since most traders figured out what was happeneing and were able to take the otherside of the trade.

Also, guess who got quoted in WSJ for input on Knights Capital. :smug: (Proof that the financial media knows nothing.)

Cheesemaster200 posted:

With all the hype over every FOMC announcement, the USDEUR has gotten to the point where it is ridiculously predictable. Buy the Euro a week before the FOMC announcement when everyone has Eurozone angst and sell it right before when everyone expects QE3.

The problem is that Draghi could potentially announce a trillion euro QE program to buy up PIIG debt at any moment sending the EUR into the shitter.

Forex is the most efficient market on the planet since currency information is so symmetrical.

I have no idea what the ECB could do tomorrow so it could be crazy volatile.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 2, 2012

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Anyone thinking about buying some calls for knight capital?

madkapitolist fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 2, 2012

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Turkeybone posted:

I covered my MNST shorts, but I'm still short on LNKD, will probably cover before the earnings.

Woooo suck it LNKD, ride that poo poo down to the 80s. A lot of REITs are announcing earnings, it's been a mixed bag (IVR and TWO missed, NLY beat).

Also, Yelp beat, that was one I thought about shorting, but never did anything about it, whew.

Also got some LINE to go into the dividend whatever pile.

Also, I was loving hovering over buying 1000 shares of FTR two days ago for similar dividend stuff... welp.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hummer Driving human being posted:

How long have you been sitting on AAPL? If you got in even not that long ago you should be doing really well with it. I got in at around $380 :banjo:
AAPL is my buy and ignore, so quite a while.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Turkeybone posted:

Woooo suck it LNKD, ride that poo poo down to the 80s. A lot of REITs are announcing earnings, it's been a mixed bag (IVR and TWO missed, NLY beat).

Also, Yelp beat, that was one I thought about shorting, but never did anything about it, whew.

Also got some LINE to go into the dividend whatever pile.

Also, I was loving hovering over buying 1000 shares of FTR two days ago for similar dividend stuff... welp.

Man, I've been waiting for LNKD to fall for forever. Most obvious short in the market IMO. I would keep the pedal down on that one.

Josh Lyman posted:

AAPL is my buy and ignore, so quite a while.

Yup I'd hold onto that for awhile. Maybe get into SPY on Monday until September depending on what happens with the ECB and Nonfarm Payrolls.

JBLU down 8% day after I got in. Awesome. I'll probably buy more if it hits $4.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Dumb question but when is the actual ECB announcement going down? I assume overnight since, you know, time zones.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

Turkeybone posted:

Dumb question but when is the actual ECB announcement going down? I assume overnight since, you know, time zones.

It's going down in like an hour--market reaction has been muted, Gold sank a lot the last few days, transports in the US are a down a lot, european currencies spiked up but then dropped down some. If he comes up with something definite the market will go bananas for a few days, but if all they do is restart the bond buying program or even less than that, markets are gonna be a bit red, to say the least. I don't think any compromise is really gonna be adequate, somebody is gonna get slapped down.

It really depends on if the Germans can be bullied by the Italians and French into hurting the long term health of their banking sector in order to keep the stock market at artificially inflated levels. I just don't see the Germans getting strong-armed here. From 2008 Merkel and the CDU are the only party of a major european country that have stayed in power and actually seen their approval rating go up during most of the Euro crisis, I don't see them throwing that away when they're on the verge of having a nearly permanent majority where even the SDP and the Greens will have to follow their lead for economic guidance.

Of course, I could be totally off and Draghi is going to helicopter drop a trillion euros in which case I'm going to get my head kicked in, but I'll leave this here for posterity.

I'm holding puts in PCLN, TNA, SPY, EWP, and GLD, calls in VXX and TLT, 15/25 strangle on Yelp that should make me some ok coin today and bearish bias strangle on LNKD that's already paid for itself in closed out cash money of a few of my puts so my downside risk is zero. Actually, you can make far more not trying to play the biggest indices and call the crash--after this I'm never buying SPY puts for more than a small hedge when IWM, XLI, TRAN, and FAZ are so much more responsive to poor fundamentals.

Smerdyakov fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Aug 2, 2012

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Turkeybone posted:

830 EST or right now.

I said I was going to stay out of the market but I'm shorting now for the rest of the day. Safe as houses :)

COUNTIN THE BILLIES fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Aug 2, 2012

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Knight's Capital is down 53% extra this morning. Market capitalization: 311 Million. Cash and equivalents: 555 million. Total equity: 1.5 billion.

sink the biz
Jun 13, 2002

My goodness my Guinness

Dolphin posted:

Knight's Capital is down 53% extra this morning. Market capitalization: 311 Million. Cash and equivalents: 555 million. Total equity: 1.5 billion.

wonder if they'll get a margin call today

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

830 EST or right now.

I said I was going to stay out of the market but I'm shorting now for the rest of the day. Safe as houses :)

Welp.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

I am a golden god. Everything except for the drat yelp strangle (which I let sit for reasons unknown even to myself) is showing 50-300% ROI, with VXX being the laggard here. Sold my gold puts at the open, used the proceeds to buy SPY 137 august puts and GME october 15 puts on the way up, and it all died on the way down.

I can't believe that today was a good day.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Yeah, I sold my LNKD puts, bought a couple SPY puts and am just trying to dig out of the FB that I was forced to put on.

Also the VIX is down today despite the action. Interesting..

Turkeybone fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 2, 2012

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
Aaaaand FB is less than 20 bucks. Ouch.

f2a
Feb 17, 2005

the pound is stronger than the dolla, holla

Forex is the most efficient market on the planet since currency information is so symmetrical.

How do you measure efficiency?

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nebby posted:

If I had the spare capital I'd short it into the ground.

sink the biz posted:

wonder if they'll get a margin call today
I wouldn't be surprised if they were gone Monday. 440 million is a lot of money for them to lose.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Dolphin posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they were gone Monday. 440 million is a lot of money for them to lose.

Chase passed on extending them credit supposedly.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Playing with fake money I got into SVU at 1.99, out at 2.40. It looks like everyone and his dog is buying into their new CEO, but the trading momentum looks like the people who bought on Goldman Sachs' valuation got out in the high 2.40s.

They're in a precarious market position, their fundamentals haven't budged and they're up 20% on a single executive hire. They've got a low price and a tiny market cap - could we be watching price manipulation in action?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

nebby posted:

This is better than Dane Cook.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Down .75%, I'll take it.

Dolphin posted:

If I had the spare capital I'd short it into the ground.

You really think FB is worth nothing? This is a pretty good price for FB but you'll be longing the idea that they can monetize.

And yeah the $440 million loss from yesterday is greater than the revenue for the second quarter for Knight. I think a firm like Citadel will gobble them up for real value with some of the talent that is with that firm.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 2, 2012

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

You really think FB is worth nothing? This is a pretty good price for FB but you'll be longing the idea that they can monetize.
I was exaggerating, but only a little. They've already started bleeding money, their market cap is still ludicrous, and the management is bonkers (and jumping ship). How exactly are they going to monetize?

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

Dolphin posted:

I was exaggerating, but only a little. They've already started bleeding money, their market cap is still ludicrous, and the management is bonkers (and jumping ship). How exactly are they going to monetize?
They don't seem to be bleeding money. I think they will stabilize and do ok. Not suggesting anyone invest in them, but I wouldn't bet against them either.

Short term I see more dips coming when the lock up period ends.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

f2a posted:

How do you measure efficiency?

You don't really, it's more of an ideal or concept. This is about how the Efficient Market Hypothesis relates to stock but most of the concepts are similar:
http://www.investopedia.com/articles/02/101502.asp#axzz22Qp2rmLQ

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Some perspective on Knight Capital, 40% of tangible book value, 4 times its annual profits.

http://blogs.reuters.com/felix-salmon/2012/08/02/counterparties-a-high-frequency-knightmare/

There's either going to be some software job openings there, or the unemployment number will spike with 1400-ish.

As for Facebook, it's coming up to its first lock-up expiry. Not sure if it's on Fri August 17 or Mon 20, but I'm sure you'll be able to tell somehow. Current P/E is 111, so around $5 would be a good long.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

Ola posted:

Some perspective on Knight Capital, 40% of tangible book value, 4 times its annual profits.

http://blogs.reuters.com/felix-salmon/2012/08/02/counterparties-a-high-frequency-knightmare/

There's either going to be some software job openings there, or the unemployment number will spike with 1400-ish.

As for Facebook, it's coming up to its first lock-up expiry. Not sure if it's on Fri August 17 or Mon 20, but I'm sure you'll be able to tell somehow. Current P/E is 111, so around $5 would be a good long.
this may be the NYSE's fault. Apparently they lit up a new algo at the open on Wednesday.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Turkeybone posted:

Whoopsies

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Come on now, I said I was going to cover before earnings. :10bux:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

No point censoring the amounts when you've left in the number of contracts. :v:

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Ola posted:

No point censoring the amounts when you've left in the number of contracts. :v:

oh, nice. Well the point is I'm not trying to wave the money dick around, big or small.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Yup I'd hold onto that for awhile. Maybe get into SPY on Monday until September depending on what happens with the ECB and Nonfarm Payrolls.
SPY closed at 137.59 on Wednesday when I asked the question. It reached a low of 135.70 yesterday but is now trading $3 higher in the premarket. :colbert:

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

Turkeybone posted:

oh, nice. Well the point is I'm not trying to wave the money dick around, big or small.

Is that one contract for a profit of $1.10? Looks more like a beat than a brag, then again I could be reading that image incorrectly.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

a lovely poster posted:

Is that one contract for a profit of $1.10? Looks more like a beat than a brag, then again I could be reading that image incorrectly.

One contract is for 100 shares (or is it 1 option = 100 contracts?). I'm guessing $1.10 is today's change, with total change blacked out, but since it's one contract it's purchased at $346 and at the time of the screenshot worth $860. Which is real nice, particularly if he got out before LNKD popped. :v:

Speaking of pops, KCG saw $3.43 shortly after open, which is up over 30%. Down to 20-ish % before I could finish the post. Goes to show that buying a crash will sometimes work - if you get out when the cat bounce apexes.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Something just went up FBs rear end, interesting to see the little battles going down at each dollar amount. I sold my long puts to try and recoup some of the hurt from the short puts.. FB in general gets filed under "poo poo (stocks) my dad says (to buy)". KCG being another one of those :ughh:.

Yeah LNKD I had no intention of holding over earnings, that and MNST I just got incredibly lucky on. I've been watching other oil stocks lately -- RIG is in a really nice uptrend; I took some action on PBR as it's been building a good base and (hopefully) will break out in the near future.

Other than that I'm just trying to do some boring stuff, selling puts on poo poo like V and GS for small but pretty assured dollar amounts.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Some specific details on what the Knight software was doing wrong:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/08/03/bad_algorithm_lost_440_million_dollars/

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Turkeybone posted:

"poo poo (stocks) my dad says (to buy)". KCG being another one of those :ughh:

Well, if anything I guess he has his finger on the pulse of the common man.. that was a quick 15% flip. And I guarantee when I say "hey we made 15% for doing nothing" he'll be all "ohhhh why did you sell, nooooo". [/en].

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Dolphin posted:

Through sponsored stories. People still spend the majority of their internet time on Facebook and it is still the most visited social media site.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

It's not a question of making money, it's a question of growing x% year over year, where x is enough to justify the P/E. So far, people don't seem to be into it. If you look at today's action on FB, you could see that someone pulled the rug out at 22. Even if the stock recovers to say, 25, there's still so many shares out there that are hurting, it's gonna take awhile to eat through all of those people who just want to break even, and that's if FB was performing well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Scaramouche posted:

Some specific details on what the Knight software was doing wrong:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/08/03/bad_algorithm_lost_440_million_dollars/

I don't understand why NYSE is reversing a bunch of the trades. I don't see why algo folks should have this special safety net. If I fat-finger a trade on my online brokerage and blow 40% of my portfolio, I don't get that trade reversed (as far as I know).