Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Now I want to figure out a way to make a Shuma/Phoenix Wright/Rocket Raccoon team to work.

How is Shuma as an anchor? I've considered partially swag-jacking Abegen and running Tron/Thor/Shuma too just for shits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

wixard posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/finalroundbats/b/325816714

About 2h15m. He TODs X23 with a combo that ends in 2 Hyper Mystic Rays but I think only costs him half a meter total. He plays for resets like it's just short of a TOD on normal health characters though.

\/ - Yea, his Raccoon is also pretty serious, and he doesn't pick log assist. If you watch that whole thing, there are a few pretty wicked Raccoons playing and none of them are Kusoru.

Holy poo poo what the gently caress did that Shuma just do?

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

The Rokstar posted:

Now I want to figure out a way to make a Shuma/Phoenix Wright/Rocket Raccoon team to work.

How is Shuma as an anchor? I've considered partially swag-jacking Abegen and running Tron/Thor/Shuma too just for shits.

Shuma last with mystic ray assist, level 3 x-factor and chaos dimension is really the only way to make him work on point unless you're a reeeeeeally creative and skilled player.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Sade posted:

Shuma last with mystic ray assist, level 3 x-factor and chaos dimension is really the only way to make him work on point unless you're a reeeeeeally creative and skilled player.

Considering what we just saw, this doesn't seem true. Seems to me that if you can handle beams Shuma can do some work on point.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Transient People posted:

Considering what we just saw, this doesn't seem true. Seems to me that if you can handle beams Shuma can do some work on point.
I think that's why Sade added in the last part but I could be wrong about that.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!
Its still pretty cool how the low tier characters in this game are viable if you really put in work with the characters, despite having some pretty big weaknesses.

That being said, Shuma is pretty loving bad. And I play Iron Man anchor, so I know what's its like to have a subpar guy in the back.

SpaceBees fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jul 30, 2012

WeakLad
Aug 30, 2008

SpaceBees posted:

Its still pretty cool how the low tier characters in this game are viable if you really put in work with the characters, despite having some pretty big weaknesses.

That being said, Shuma is pretty loving bad. And I play Iron Man anchor, so I know what's its like to have a subpar guy in the back.

me too bro... me too :(

speaking of iron man anchor. are you the guy I played a few nights ago? ethnicx?

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Cold hard science trumps ponies.

Fun Shoe
Hadn't seen this posted, so have some US Shuma-Gorath: http://www.twitch.tv/deadly_bison/b/326371046?t=2h08m40s -- first-to-10 $100 money match between Playdoh (shuma) and Insult to Injury. Bonus LI Joe on the mic.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

The Rokstar posted:

Shuma has a really tough time getting in without help. That is his biggest weakness as anchor. Mystic Smash is his only good way in. Unprotected Mystic Smash is weak because it gets beat clean or trades with a LOT of stuff. It can also be air thrown. The speed boost from xfactor makes Shuma a little better but he's still got big problems.

Judging by the play in the video that sparked this Shuma talk it seems like Shuma was designed to Mystic Smash under cover from Mystic Stare. You should learn to do this if you want to play him on anchor. Be careful though, the H version of Mystic Stare disappears just before fullscreen.

Still, Shuma has great corner damage and Mystic Smash is very effective against pushblock, meaning he can keep people in the corner. Also, he can use Chaos Dimension on incoming the way that X-23 uses Dirt Nap but I don't think he can combo after it.

Here is a different link to the Japanese player (Tonosama) from the last page since the original link isn't working for me anymore: http://es.twitch.tv/finalroundbats/b/325808248?t=22m35s

The Shuma from that money match, Playdoh, is good but he is not on Tonosama's level.

Dren fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 30, 2012

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
The short version is that Shuma has a great assist but is a really bad character and isn't even one of the better x-factor anchors in the game. You could put him second if you really wanted to, or else use your x-factor JWong style and basically play like you have to win with your first two characters no matter what (because you kinda do).

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

WeakLad posted:

me too bro... me too :(

speaking of iron man anchor. are you the guy I played a few nights ago? ethnicx?

I'm EthnicX. Who are you?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Maybe people would get better with Shuman if only they'd stop super jumping like retards every single time.

WeakLad
Aug 30, 2008

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

I'm EthnicX. Who are you?

JustPlainLucky

I'm the dude who thinks MVC2 Iron Man combos still work in this game, and tries (fails) to do them every chance I get

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

<3<3<3

WeakLad posted:

JustPlainLucky

I'm the dude who thinks MVC2 Iron Man combos still work in this game, and tries (fails) to do them every chance I get

I think your Iron Man is pretty good and I remember one game we played a while ago now where you nailed an MvC2ish Iron Man combo with Sentinel assist. In fact you said you'd send me a link to a video and never did :( I'd love to take a look at that video.

Always a lot of fun playing you btw

WeakLad
Aug 30, 2008

I think your Iron Man is pretty good and I remember one game we played a while ago now where you nailed an MvC2ish Iron Man combo with Sentinel assist. In fact you said you'd send me a link to a video and never did :( I'd love to take a look at that video.

Always a lot of fun playing you btw

my bad bro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zyt_jGJ_YDg

take notes. I studied this video extensively and now sometimes I beat people (with lvl 3 x factor and when the lag is on my side)

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Correnth posted:

Hadn't seen this posted, so have some US Shuma-Gorath: http://www.twitch.tv/deadly_bison/b/326371046?t=2h08m40s -- first-to-10 $100 money match between Playdoh (shuma) and Insult to Injury. Bonus LI Joe on the mic.

Is every FNC like this?

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

So my current team is

Vergil (Rapid Slash) // Nova OR Magneto // Dr. Doom (Plasma Beam or Missiles)

Just looking to hear some theorycraft about this team, as I'm not sure which matchups I want certain characters and assists for.

Things I do already:

Lots of damage // combos with Vergil, finally got the "spend all your meter" swords loop down

EM Disruptor or Plasma Beam + Teleport opener

Dumb throw resets with all chars

Other than that I'm kind of vanilla with my game.

What would you be doing with my team?

What's the best Magneto BnB to use that isn't the FChamp one that's too hard for me?

edit for clarity: For example, I've already figured out that Nova is way better at the hulk / sent / haggar matchup than magneto because of cr. B....

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Elephunk posted:

edit for clarity: For example, I've already figured out that Nova is way better at the hulk / sent / haggar matchup than magneto because of cr. B....

Magneto vs. hulk was a bad matchup for me until I realized that you can beat gamma charge's armor with disruptor M instead of L.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

<3<3<3

Elephunk posted:

What's the best Magneto BnB to use that isn't the FChamp one that's too hard for me?

What is this combo?

Niddhogg posted:

Magneto vs. hulk was a bad matchup for me until I realized that you can beat gamma charge's armor with disruptor M instead of L.

Good to know. Thank you sir.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

What is this combo?

starter, launch, H, dash, H, fly cancel, L, [H, Dash] x6

if midscreen just slam down and shockwave

the hard one is the corner ender:

last [H, dash] turn into [H, down dash, mash S whiff for faster land, H xx grav, j. H, st H xx grav, j. H, st H xx grav xx super

Watch evo from this year or any of his matches it's his only Magneto combo and it does like 800k and usually corner carries at least

ME HOWEVER?

I can grav loop, so I get a good 700 in the corner...

but midscreen I still do

[j. H, airdash, j. m, j. H] x2 st. H ender

which is like day 1 crap lol. :smith:

Man Cub
Jan 12, 2004

Come on! I'm the lord and savior! YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO CRUCIFY ME, GOD DAMNIT!

What is this combo?

Buttons-->S, air H, addf H land, dash, s, air H, fly, l, h, dash, h, dash, h, add h, s, standing h, hypergrav loop 2-3 times

Please excuse my lovely notations.

Man Cub fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 1, 2012

rocket USA
Sep 14, 2011

Elephunk posted:

the hard one is the corner ender:

last [H, dash] turn into [H, down dash, mash S whiff for faster land, H xx grav, j. H, st H xx grav, j. H, st H xx grav xx super

There's a way easier way to do this. After the last [H, dash], do j.H->unfly->j.H, s.H xx hypergrav->loop.

Also, if you start the normal fly combo with buttons->j.H adf j.M xx fly it's extremely simple but it's a little less robust w/r/t hitstun decay.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

<3<3<3
My Mags corner combo is cr. h, s, sjc h, addf h, sjc h, add h, regular jump h, addb h, cr. h, s, [sjc h, add h] x3, st. h, L Hyper Grav, Magnetic Tempest. Not sure about the exact damage, but with 2 meters it's basically a tod.

From mid screen I usually do cr. h, s, sjc h, addf h, land, dash st. m, cr. h, s, sjc h, addf h, sjcfu h, addf h, and then, st. H, Hyper Grav, MT if they're in the corner, or cr. h, s, sjc m, m, h, s, super. You can do everything up to the last addf h, land then dash cr. h for a potential cross under mix up and reset. At that point I try to do L Magnetic Blast, super for good, basically unscaled damage. Which at that point will kill most characters. But if they block it, then that's bad.

Edit: Whoops. Missed standing h's in both combos. Sorry.

JesusLovesRonwell fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 1, 2012

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

My Mags corner combo is cr. h, s, sjc h, addf h, sjc h, add h, regular jump h, addb h, cr. h, s, [sjc h, add h] x3, L Hyper Grav, Magnetic Tempest. Not sure about the exact damage, but with 2 meters it's basically a tod.

From mid screen I usually do cr. h, s, sjc h, addf h, land, dash st. m, cr. h, s, sjc h, addf h, sjcfu h, addf h, and then Hyper Grav, MT if they're in the corner, or cr. h, s, sjc m, m, h, s, super. You can do everything up to the last addf h, land then dash cr. h for a potential cross under mix up and reset. At that point I try to do L Magnetic Blast, super for good, basically unscaled damage. Which at that point will kill most characters. But if they block it, then that's bad.

Very good post! Thank you.

I think I was messing up the FChamp combo because I was trying to do six [H, airdash]es instead of three. oops.

Asobu
Sep 16, 2007

My guitar is in my BUTT!
Soiled Meat
For those of you in southern California, there's a fairly large tournament in a couple weeks in Santa Monica. They've got Umvc3 on PS3, as well as every other recent fighting game aside from Soul Calibur 5 and TvC.

http://www.tournamentlegacy.com/2012-05-08-02-43-52/revelations-2012

I'm thinking about participating. Anyone else going?

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Your weekly reminder that...
Tonight

Thursday August 2nd 9PMEst/6PMPst irc://irc.synirc.net/sa-mvc3

:spidey:PS3:spidey:
http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/z2fajisxx5

Did anyone notice the Christmas in July theme? I did...

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Ybrik posted:

Tonight

Hey why not, signing up.

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

I barely even drink a lot

Ybrik posted:

Tonight

I just got over a wrist injury and I'm thirsty for blood

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Ybrik posted:

I hope you're referring to the use of Bonne Wonderland which is my favorite stage.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

How do I play Storm? Is there a good guide or anything out there? I really wanna pick her up, suddenly.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Can someone give me a simple Wesker babby's first combo to work on? I'm still grinding out any form of execution and I'm loving terrible

I have

L M H qcf.L ~L df.H c.M H qcf.M ~H j.S c.H S j.M j.M j.H S df.H super

but linking gunshot and super doesn't seem to work-- gunshot to a THC does but with Wesker as my planned anchor it doesn't seem good to practice. Should I be doing it in the air?

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
When I used Wesker, I'd only go for the super if I knew it was going to kill. Wesker's reset game is so strong that it's easily worth OTGing them again after the air series, calling an assist at the same time and teleporting or going for an airgrab as the recover from the gunshot.
You can't follow up an OTG gunshot with a super if you're doing it with the normal motion, because your opponent will recovery too quickly. You need to do it with the THC cancel instead. If Wesker isn't your last character then this works better with some teams than it does others but it's worth exploring.

Oh, and if you're not already aware, before doing OTG gunshot xx TAC, teleport yourself so that your opponent is in the middle of the screen when you do it, that way you get way more hits on Wesker's super and it'll do a ton more damage.

Metrohunter fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 2, 2012

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Omnikin posted:

Can someone give me a simple Wesker babby's first combo to work on? I'm still grinding out any form of execution and I'm loving terrible

I have

but linking gunshot and super doesn't seem to work-- gunshot to a THC does but with Wesker as my planned anchor it doesn't seem good to practice. Should I be doing it in the air?

You can't cancel Samurai Edge into super, and linking after it is out of the question after 6 or 7 hits due to HSD. All the combos you see people doing involve cancelling into a THC.

Erik The Viking
Apr 12, 2012

by Fistgrrl

Omnikin posted:

I have

I wouldn't do the teleport after the wallbounce. You can just dash forward and either do c.M c.H S etc or you can simply dash forward and do S into the air combo. I think the MHS version does a little more damage but I'm pretty sure I always see Killer Kai doing the dash S version for simplicity's sake.

Otherwise yeah that's pretty much the BnB. You should be poking with c.M and hit-confirming it into the rest. Don't both with the c.L. If you can get a reset into another combo and you're pretty sure that Maximum Wesker will KO them, just do it in the air after the S j.MMH and get your glasses off. I never use MW unless it will KO.

Also seconding the advice above about teleporting to put yourself closer to the corner right before the OTG xx THC to get more damage.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Omnikin posted:

I have

FYI: you can still cancel gunshot into THC if the rest of your team is dead.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Ybrik posted:

Tonight

Signed up. Gonna go 0-2 one last time before I run away to my anime fighters forever.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx
Looks like it's time for my weekly humility lesson. Bring on the pain.

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!
Signed up for the first time as Nonmus. Hope I can figure this thing out.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Nonbaka posted:

Yo get in the IRC channel in ybrik's post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Nonbaka posted:

Just go in the IRC and confirm with Ybrik. Link in Ybrik's post. Just make a name and say something in the chat.

• Locked thread