Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Guinness posted:

Pretty sure the offset and possibly even the hub bore (depending on which gen of 5er they are from) are incorrect for an E36.

Hub bore can possibly be corrected if those are e39 wheels, offset is iffy.

But really, style 134s? The ones that a billion 5 series came with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I figured I'd have to run rings or spacers. I'm worried about them poking out from the wheel really.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Guinness posted:

Pretty sure the offset is way wrong on those. E36 factory wheels are ET47, and E60 (presumably, since style 134) are ET20. Not sure, but they will probably rub on your fenders. The hub bore might be different as well, but not sure about the E36 - I know the E34 had a smaller hub bore than the E39 and needed hubcentric rings to fit E39 wheels without vibrations at highway speeds.

These are 16x8 +20

I think 16x7 +20 will be more than okay offset wise.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

These? In my opinion, one of the ugliest rims in the style catalog. I'm sure you can find something much better looking with the right offset.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 31, 2012

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Just get a set of E46 wheels; they use the same offsets and whatnot as the E36 does, plus the E46 had all kinds of awesome-looking choices.

Thus might just be my own bias, but how about an E36 on Style 79s?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

MrChips posted:

Just get a set of E46 wheels; they use the same offsets and whatnot as the E36 does, plus the E46 had all kinds of awesome-looking choices.

Thus might just be my own bias, but how about an E36 on Style 79s?

The M Parallels look fuckin awesome on the E36 and E46.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Does anyone have widths and offsets handy for:
E46 M3 + E92 non M.

I have seen a thing.

:jeb:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

ash with a five posted:

Does anyone have widths and offsets handy for:
E46 M3 + E92 non M.

I have seen a thing.

:jeb:

Stock E46 M3 is 18x8 +47 / 18x9 +26. The 19" pack is 19x8 +41 / 19x9.5 +27.
Stock E9X M3 is 18x8.5+29 / 18x9.5 +23. The 19" pack is 19x8.5 +29 / 19x9.5 +23.
Stock E9X wheels vary, the M pack wheels are 18x8 +34 / 18x8.5 +37.

I don't know what you're planning but the E9X M3 wheels fit on the E46 M3. Rear needs like a 10mm spacer to sit flush.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 1, 2012

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Hmmmm. Thanks man.
I want something off a 46 on a 92.
They are aftermarket 19s and absolutely amazing. Just need to work out if they'll fit okay.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What size/offset are they?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Asking for the offsets now. Fit nice on a 46 M3.

Front 8,5/19
Rear 9,5/19

So I THINK it'll be possible with a little spacer on each.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Already missing my 330Ci terribly, and I just landed a new job, however my credit is pretty awful (although I have zero debt). If I slap down enough cash (say $5,000-7000) to lease a new 328i, would credit mater as much, or am I completely hosed and going to have to suck it up and wait years for my score to increase?

Realjones
May 16, 2004

Funzo posted:

I got my E90 used, and it's got non-runflats on the original wheels too.
Speaking of, since there's no spare tire, do people usually just keep a can of fix-a-flat in the trunk for emergencies, or is there something terribly clever I don't know about?

You can pick the BMW M mobility kit, which is what the recent m3/m5 came with as they had regular tires and no spare.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Voltage posted:

Already missing my 330Ci terribly, and I just landed a new job, however my credit is pretty awful (although I have zero debt). If I slap down enough cash (say $5,000-7000) to lease a new 328i, would credit mater as much, or am I completely hosed and going to have to suck it up and wait years for my score to increase?
It's pretty likely that if you have bad credit the interest is going to be ruinous.

You should probably look for a used BMW if you really want one.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Lowclock posted:

These? In my opinion, one of the ugliest rims in the style catalog. I'm sure you can find something much better looking with the right offset.

I dunno I think they're alright, plus they are functional.

I'm waffling. I don't need them and the price is 200, talked down from 400 to 250. They come with tires that I would probably use for a thousand miles just to save money until I get some new rubber. Maybe summer tires and then use the original set for all-seasons or winter tires.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Seeing how there is a bunch of wheel talk...

http://ames.craigslist.org/pts/3156835540.html

These came off an 07 BMW 550i. I know I am asking the obvious, but these should fit on my 06 550i no problem right?

And then...

http://www.bavariantechnic.com/

Does any one have this tool? I am looking at buying one, it would be super helpful for my e60 in getting rid of the stupid inspection notice and other things I do myself. I have this zanny idea of buying an older E38 with a "bad ABS module" I think its just a wheel sensor. Its a dirt cheap car, and I could flip it easy.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Alarbus posted:

E90, AWD sport package, went with Conti Extreme Contact DWS, and it's been great. Not as grippy or firm as the Conti ProContactSport 2s, but pretty good. Noticeably smoother ride than my Dad's E92 with the OEM runflats. He had the really noisy ones they swapped for the alternative, which don't sound as back.

Your shops are being absurd.

Agree with all of that and just wanted add that Conti extreme contacts are amazing. I had been running Michelin pilot sports on my e46 and switched to them when I was jobless and money was tight. They seemed to have 90% of the grip the pilot sports had for quite a bit less money. I found them quieter to boot.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I bought some Conti Extreme DW's back in Feb when Tirerack was whoring them out and I agree that they are drat good. I could gripe that I find them lumpy as poo poo in the winter (under 40 degrees) until they warm up for a few miles - but it's not a major annoyance.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
I used to run DWSes back on my previous E46 year-round and I never had a moment where I regretted buying them. They carried me through two winters with no issues and never let me down in the summers. I have Kumho Ecsta LE Sports on right now- dedicated summer performance tires- and honestly I think I liked the DWSes better overall even as a summer tire. They were nearly as good in the dry and way better in the wet, and obviously I can't use these in the winter at all. I recommend them to everyone I know who wants all-seasons.

an oddly awful oud fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 1, 2012

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I have Blizzaks for the winter, since I was doing a 70 mile round trip commute each day in Vermont. Those feel like absolute crap on dry pavement, but are awesome in the snow. My perspective of the DWS is biased in cold, dry weather, since I thought they were fine.

I have both plugs and the slime crap in my trunk, but I also don't have TPMS, so if I have to use it, I don't have to replace MORE crap.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

BrokenKnucklez posted:

http://www.bavariantechnic.com/

Does any one have this tool? I am looking at buying one, it would be super helpful for my e60 in getting rid of the stupid inspection notice and other things I do myself. I have this zanny idea of buying an older E38 with a "bad ABS module" I think its just a wheel sensor. Its a dirt cheap car, and I could flip it easy.

This is interesting. I've been searching high and low for a diagnostic tool for modern (2007+) BMWs.

gigButt
Oct 22, 2008
Selling my 98' 328is 5-speed 148K. Posted to craigslist with a high asking price. Will take best offer.

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/3176890874.html

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Okay, I need some help here.

I'm installing single-bulb low beam ellipsoid headlights and I'm trying to wire the current so that my high beams don't turn off my low beams. Initially I jumped Pin 30 to Pin 30 on the High/Low relays but for some reason that turned my ignition on. I still can't figure that one out :wtf: HOW IS POWER GETTING TO THE HOT IN RUN OR START THERE?! All I need is a switched 12v source to Pin 30 on the low beam relay at all times, and I can easily accomplish that, but I want to know why my ignition is kicking on when I jump 30-30 with the key off. Wiring Diagram below.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
E: Try just bridging 30 and 87a on the high beam relay instead.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 1, 2012

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Didn't buy the style 146s. I might have a lead on a set of zhp wheels that need refurbed for like a hundred.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

gigButt posted:

Selling my 98' 328is 5-speed 148K. Posted to craigslist with a high asking price. Will take best offer.

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/3176890874.html

I really need to come down to the states and just buy a rustfree daily, I'd buy that in an instant if it was up here.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Looks like I'm getting the zhp wheels--style 135. They have to be completely refinished but the price allows for that.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Lowclock posted:

E: Try just bridging 30 and 87a on the high beam relay instead.

How would you go about doing that? The pin sockets are about a quarter inch apart.

But why is High 30<>Low 30 turning the ignition circuit on?

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 2, 2012

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

So after I got my 330ci back from the bodyshop after the left rear panel was replaced I washed it and water got into the rear left tail light housing so I went back and had them replace it assuming it was cracked somewhere due to the original impact. Washed it again a few days ago and WELP theres water in this brand new tail light again.

:negative:
Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Beach Bum posted:

How would you go about doing that? The pin sockets are about a quarter inch apart.

But why is High 30<>Low 30 turning the ignition circuit on?
Pull the relay holder out and do it on the back.

I bet that diagram is actually wrong and one is switched or something. I would say just bridge the 30's and make sure to disconnect one of the original ones, but that's too much current for 1 wire. If just jumping 30-87a does the same thing or doesn't work, just leave it alone. Having them both on at the same time isn't going to really help you see better.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Chinatown posted:

So after I got my 330ci back from the bodyshop after the left rear panel was replaced I washed it and water got into the rear left tail light housing so I went back and had them replace it assuming it was cracked somewhere due to the original impact. Washed it again a few days ago and WELP theres water in this brand new tail light again.

The trunk lid isn't sealing properly now or the light was installed improperly (I THINK that one uses strip caulk or similar). My bet is on the trunk. Take a look.....I bet the rubber is messed up where it goes near the light or somewhere higher on the trunk seal or they didn't get the new panel piece lined up properly.

Look for water on your trunk carpeting.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

LEDs for my angel eyes came while I was gone on business. Installation and pictures incoming. Can't wait.

Also, I have a really stupid question. I like to change my own oil. This past December I got an E90. So with no dipstick, how tricky is getting the level right?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So, I was in Detroit at my company HQ yesterday. One of the employees up there has an E39, post-facelift, and I noticed it had a really nice looking roof rack on it.

I should note that my company, in addition to making hitches and stuff, makes Rola roof racks.

I inquired, and it's not even released yet - it will be in about a month. I'm gonna try to get a 'sample.' :coal:

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Last night I stopped by the local dealer to drive an F30, expecting to be blown away. The E90 cars are great, the first time I drove one it felt like I'd owned one for years, the steering in them is amazing. The interior is simple but classy.

The F30, not so much. Auto start stop and regen braking are both stupid and intrusive, it feels bigger, the steering is too light and the visibility is not as good. It seems like every single change they made was either to improve fuel economy or make larger people more comfortable. The interior, while full of all kinds of technology, didn't seem quite up to par. The HVAC controls look like the ones that come in a VW golf. The 4cyl turbo and 8 speed auto worked well together.

It was a bizarre experience.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
So I picked up my beautiful blue e39 540i 6-speed, and it's not quite working out to be the dream I expected. I knew the MID pixels were going, but now the Nav computer is going exactly as described here. But only sometimes. THEN, it also threw a code 24 hours after picking it up, PO171 and I'm getting hesitant acceleration. I wasn't provided with paperwork from a recent smog check, so I can totally go after the guy, but I'm going to replace the fuel filter first and hope that does it. It was last replaced in October of '07 and 28k miles ago, which seems fairly recent for this much fuel pressure blockage. If that doesn't fix it, then I'm sure I'd have to take him to court to get back the $$ spent allowing it to pass smog, which obviously is messy.

The good thing is, is the interior and exterior are just so damned pretty, and when I'm not trying to gun it, the engine sounds lovely and drive so smooth. With a little work it'll be a fantastic car I think.

E: Here's a crappy cell pic of it in it's natural habitat

Deceptor101 fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 2, 2012

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Sucks to hear about your E39 man. They are good cars when you get the niggly bits worked out. I think these cars about as reliable as the E34 chassis.

I am not gonna lie here. I hate the new F30. I drove one yesterday while my car was getting its free wash at the dealer (I love how they do that), and the drat thing felt kinda... not BMW. Maybe its me, I don't know, I just can't place my finger on it.

Why does that 2000 540i keep tempting by popping up to the top of craigslist every day.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Deceptor101 posted:

So I picked up my beautiful blue e39 540i 6-speed, and it's not quite working out to be the dream I expected. I knew the MID pixels were going, but now the Nav computer is going exactly as described here. But only sometimes. THEN, it also threw a code 24 hours after picking it up, PO171 and I'm getting hesitant acceleration. I wasn't provided with paperwork from a recent smog check, so I can totally go after the guy, but I'm going to replace the fuel filter first and hope that does it. It was last replaced in October of '07 and 28k miles ago, which seems fairly recent for this much fuel pressure blockage. If that doesn't fix it, then I'm sure I'd have to take him to court to get back the $$ spent allowing it to pass smog, which obviously is messy.

The good thing is, is the interior and exterior are just so damned pretty, and when I'm not trying to gun it, the engine sounds lovely and drive so smooth. With a little work it'll be a fantastic car I think.

E: Here's a crappy cell pic of it in it's natural habitat

I just want to say welcome to the club, and your car looks magnificent.

edit: DAMMIT. My blower stopped working. Does anybody know how to tell if it's the final stage unit and not the blower itself, other than replacing the FSU and seeing what happens?

edit edit: seems the blower works. It came on at random while driving today. Good to know, the FSU is cheaper and easier to replace than on my E36.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Aug 3, 2012

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I'm on the verge of doing something either totally awesome, or completely retarded. I was looking at this 97 hellrot m3 sedan:

quote:

2010 to present:
spark plugs every year, and spark plug boots this year in march
i have accessory belts in the trunk to put them on when i get a chance
passed etest fairly well in june
dunlop star specs
full brakes all around
PS return line
cabin filter
fan clutch
aux fan relay
exhaust hanger
i have a carproof from 2010 when i bought it

'09:
clutch
removed and recalibrated vanos @bmw
new vanos @ RMP
valve cover gasket
cam sensor
diff, tranny flush
shifter bushings
tranny, engine, exhaust mounts
guibo
cooling system overhaul (i thought it was 07.. turns out it was 09)

'08
tie rods
ps overhaul
ctrl arm busing
exhaust manifold
lots of trims replaced
o2 sensors

'07
clears from bmw
o2 sensor
convertible xbrace installed (from the convertible model)
water pump
acc belts
emblems
steering wheel
alarm
rear TAB

220000km, but the maintenance history the past couple years is pretty drat good. No rust, good paint, and even the seat bolsters appear to be in good condition. Only real mods to speak of are KW V2 coilovers, and SS brakelines.

The kicker? 15k canadian, and probably can't get him any lower. One the one hand, rustfree e36 m3s are all but nonexistant where I live (Nova scotia) and it has decent history. On the other hand, it's a pretty steep price for the mileage. I'd essentially have an m3 with close to 250,000km in a couple years.

I could also buy something completely ridiculous with that money: http://wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/BMW/M/MISSISSAUGA/Ontario/19_5912071_/?showcpo=ShowCPO

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 3, 2012

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

4-door M3s are the best M3s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stardotstar
Jun 2, 2012

Honestly, it's a fair price for that level of maintenance. If you like the color, I wouldn't pass it up.

E: KW V2s are very comfortable as far as adjustable damping coil overs go. They're not durable enough for frequent track usage, but for street applications they're excellent. Not to mention that you can raise the car if you want.

Stardotstar fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 3, 2012