Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

nesbit37 posted:

For buying new stuff it isn't terrible, but for the dry goods you can get that stuff for much less on craigslist if you are not in a hurry. I picked up 2 of those same tanks for $50 total a year back from someone who didn't want to keep geckos anymore. You don't need the repticarpet, water conditioner or thermometer. The cage furniture stuff is fine, but you can go and use whatever you like for that.

As for the free gecko, it depends what you want. If you don't care what the crested looks like and you just want one as a pet then it will be fine. If you want some choice in the matter or are looking for something specific then you should look elsewhere. You also may be able to get one from a local breeder for $20 or so.

I don't know your time frame, but I have some gargoyle eggs incubating, though I am not certain what I will be doing with the hatchlings. Depends how many make it out. I know at least one other person was breeding gargs in the thread, was it Mushroom Spore?

Yeah I knew some of it was useless and that I could get every cheaper on CL. Unfortunately around here it is a deadzone of uselessness. I've been searching around the past couple months and the only local "breeders" are Petco and Petsmart. And seeing as all I ever see in the ones around here are sick reptiles in tiny tanks and Red Ear Sliders with obvious shell problems...I'll pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

nesbit37 posted:

For buying new stuff it isn't terrible, but for the dry goods you can get that stuff for much less on craigslist if you are not in a hurry. I picked up 2 of those same tanks for $50 total a year back from someone who didn't want to keep geckos anymore. You don't need the repticarpet, water conditioner or thermometer. The cage furniture stuff is fine, but you can go and use whatever you like for that.

As for the free gecko, it depends what you want. If you don't care what the crested looks like and you just want one as a pet then it will be fine. If you want some choice in the matter or are looking for something specific then you should look elsewhere. You also may be able to get one from a local breeder for $20 or so.

I don't know your time frame, but I have some gargoyle eggs incubating, though I am not certain what I will be doing with the hatchlings. Depends how many make it out. I know at least one other person was breeding gargs in the thread, was it Mushroom Spore?

Greycious breeds them :3: I have deposit on a baby gargoyle with her, google Greycious Geckos!

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

My bearded dragon Sunny Boy is almost exactly one year old today, so here are some pictures.

He isn't at his brightest and most colorful in these pictures because:

A. He's just finishing up a shed on his face and is still somewhat peeved about it.
B. I just took him out of his nice warm tank and plopped him on the floor to wave a strange device in his face. When I put him back in the cage he flared at me a few times in protest, then went back to basking.

You get a good idea of his coloration regardless. He's about 19 inches from nose to tail, and eats a diet of mustard greens, collard greens, green beans, crickets and honeydew melon. He's perfectly happy to cling to my shirt for hours at a time, enjoys sitting on the deck on hot sunny days, pina coladas, and getting caught in the rain.

He's pretty well tempered, and absolutely loves having his back stroked, which is one of the few times he'll sit still when you're holding him. He can't stand anyone touching under his chin though, and will try to get away from anyone doing it. Also he has a frowny face on his tail which is adorable.

Edit: He also hates mornings. When the lights click on he puffs and flares at them for a few minutes before dragging himself over to his food bowl to see if anythings in it. He then proceeds to stare at me until I feed him.

Ape Has Killed Ape fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 28, 2012

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
So my friend called me up today all kinds of panicked. He's had his Kenyan sand boas for years now, something like a decade, all females, and thinks one of his girls has BOID. She's listless, isn't burrowing in the sand at all, can't turn herself over; he hasn't seen any stargazing yet but he's pretty sure it's BOID, and if it is, there's no cure.

What he's panicked about are his other females. None of them are acting strange, and they were all bought from different breeders years ago. But they're all in the same room and he confessed that sometimes he moves driftwood from one tank to another without bleaching. Since BOID sometimes has no symptoms he's terrified he will lose all his girls because of this one.

Me, have never ever seen BOID in person and I have no idea what to tell him. Any suggestions, and how likely are his other snakes, pythons and more, going to catch this?

edit: The last sand boa he purchased was a young male, but he is still technically in QT, and my friend always feeds and checks on this one last, and he's in another room in the house. Lots of handwashing and bleach there.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 29, 2012

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Cowslips Warren posted:

So my friend called me up today all kinds of panicked. He's had his Kenyan sand boas for years now, something like a decade, all females, and thinks one of his girls has BOID. She's listless, isn't burrowing in the sand at all, can't turn herself over; he hasn't seen any stargazing yet but he's pretty sure it's BOID, and if it is, there's no cure.

What he's panicked about are his other females. None of them are acting strange, and they were all bought from different breeders years ago. But they're all in the same room and he confessed that sometimes he moves driftwood from one tank to another without bleaching. Since BOID sometimes has no symptoms he's terrified he will lose all his girls because of this one.

Me, have never ever seen BOID in person and I have no idea what to tell him. Any suggestions, and how likely are his other snakes, pythons and more, going to catch this?

edit: The last sand boa he purchased was a young male, but he is still technically in QT, and my friend always feeds and checks on this one last, and he's in another room in the house. Lots of handwashing and bleach there.

Those symptoms can be caused by many other diseases as well. He needs to isolate it immediately and get it to a vet.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
News from friend, the snake died overnight and his mom decided to throw out everything that was in the freezer, so there's no way to do a necropsy.

Other than BOID, what else could it have been? He's freaked about his other snakes catching whatever this was and dying quickly too. The tank is a wood-and-screen lidded aquarium, and I told him to bleach the gently caress out of it, throw out everything that was in the tank, etc.

If it was BOID, wouldn't the snake have been stargazing?

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Cowslips Warren posted:

News from friend, the snake died overnight and his mom decided to throw out everything that was in the freezer, so there's no way to do a necropsy.

Other than BOID, what else could it have been? He's freaked about his other snakes catching whatever this was and dying quickly too. The tank is a wood-and-screen lidded aquarium, and I told him to bleach the gently caress out of it, throw out everything that was in the tank, etc.

If it was BOID, wouldn't the snake have been stargazing?

There's not a ton of research done on diseases in snakes, but inability to right themselves seems common in bacterial infections(and poisonings). I've seen similar symptoms in a WC timber rattler and in Cal king before, both died shortly after but had no necropsies. Also, (and I fully admit my own ignorance here if I'm wrong) but I've never heard of IBD being seen in Erycines.

I Am Hydrogen
Apr 10, 2007

I Am Hydrogen posted:

Thanks. The more I read into it, the more I realize I made a poor choice. On the bright side, I'm going to do everything I can to get the authorities involved. FedEx (surprisingly) is not taking this lightly, and my credit card company is investigating not just the charge, which I didn't ask for, but the company itself. Hopefully that, along with local authorities contacted on my part, will get things moving and no more animals will have to be treated this way and this place can get shut down.

e; They are now being formally investigated.

Just to give a bit of an update:

He seems to be doing better. He's a lot less lethargic. I made him an elevated basking spot but he doesn't seem to be interested in venturing up there. It has a cave underneath, which he sleeps under and spends some time in though. I got him a hammock (on the cool side), which he seems to have no interest in either. He doesn't even head to that side of the cage. I have the temperatures correct for both sides, so I don't think that's the issue

He usually just lays on the ground spread out and soaks up the "sun" on the hot side. Reading online, I either getting websites that say it's normal or he's about to die. I'm hoping it's the former. I haven't seen him eat yet either - lots of greens and some crickets, though I'll be switching to roaches once they arrive.

He's not shy and perks up his head when when I go in to change his food. I've left his setup stable and try to let him be. I did pick him up once to look him over and he didn't seem bothered by my reaching in for him. He decided to climb all over my shirt instead.

I imagine, or at least hope, this has a lot to his poor shipment and likely poor treatment while he was growing. I bought him as an adult and the seller has stopped responding to me for obvious reasons because I was told to notify him of the proceeding actions and to leave a paper trail of our interactions, so I have no idea what life was like previous to a couple of days ago.

If there's anything that seems off, anything I can do to improve his situation or if anyone has an advice in general, it would be greatly appreciated. For reference, he's in a 55 gallon tank with lots of room. I just worry. Thankfully, there's a number of exotic vets near me, so I'll end up taking him there soon.

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
My beardie loves to fat out on the ground and bask as part if his daily routine, I wouldn't worry about that. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Trilineatus posted:

Greycious breeds them :3:

Hey thanks, and also, I just weighed your baby: 6.5 grams

Guess what else...

It's a boy! :toot:

(About 95% certain, at least. Lots of pores already!)

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Argh! I can't decide between Cresties and Gargs, they're both just so awesome.(The correct answer is I will eventually end up with both!) but I dunno which one to start with. Help help! :(

Mistegirl
Aug 19, 2002

I'm a lizard. I have a hat. What else do you want?
:sassargh:SASS2013:sassargh:

Cless Alvein posted:

Argh! I can't decide between Cresties and Gargs, they're both just so awesome.(The correct answer is I will eventually end up with both!) but I dunno which one to start with. Help help! :(

It's a tough call. Do you have a preference between jumpy or not? Holding a crested is all about making sure your other hand is always in position for it to jump to next, so it doesn't end up jumping any old place. Gargs will kind of hop, but it's usually just a few inches forward.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Greycious posted:

Hey thanks, and also, I just weighed your baby: 6.5 grams

Guess what else...

It's a boy! :toot:

(About 95% certain, at least. Lots of pores already!)

I AM TERRIBLY EXCITED.

Give me another week and I will message you to arrange shipping once I have a home set up :3:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Cless Alvein posted:

Leachies :colbert: go big or go home.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Leachies are much more look but don't touch, though. I like mine in general, but I enjoy the smaller rhacs, particularly chahoua, much more. To each their own.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Get a bunch of tokays, to use against your enemies.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

Atmus posted:

Get a bunch of tokays, to use against your enemies.

:black101: This is an amazing idea.

Edit: To add more content. My current really small crop of herps!

First up is my Anerythristic Corn, Robert Baratheon the First of His Name, King of the Andals, the Rhoynar and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, Protector of the Realm or Mr. Slithers for short. His shots kinda suck, cuz he is an rear end and doesn't like to really sit still long enough to set anything up.

Secondly is my pacman frog, Robb Stark King in the North, King of the Trident, Lord of Winterfell. Normally he lets his friends call him Clyde.

Cless Alvein fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 1, 2012

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

It looks like Rodent Pro "may have had" an outbreak of a zoonotic disease (LCMV). http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334751

I called the CDC and they said they can't verify anything for legal reasons ( :confused: ), but urged me to check my records and toss any rodents purchased after 5/1/2012. Here's hoping it's just a bunch of paranoia, but I figure it might be worth posting for folks here that aren't BOI readers since Rodent Pro has zilch on their site about it. I'm not at all telling you to toss any frozen feeders you have, but it might be worth contacting the CDC and seeing what they tell you.

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Take care of the dead and the dead will take care of you

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

It looks like Rodent Pro "may have had" an outbreak of a zoonotic disease (LCMV). http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334751

I called the CDC and they said they can't verify anything for legal reasons ( :confused: ), but urged me to check my records and toss any rodents purchased after 5/1/2012. Here's hoping it's just a bunch of paranoia, but I figure it might be worth posting for folks here that aren't BOI readers since Rodent Pro has zilch on their site about it. I'm not at all telling you to toss any frozen feeders you have, but it might be worth contacting the CDC and seeing what they tell you.

And RodentPro has continued to sell to people without any warning? Nice.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Apparently Chahoua are no longer Rhacodactylus. Phylogeny :argh:

Revision of the giant geckos of New Caledonia (Reptilia: Diplodactylidae: Rhacodactylus)

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
Oh so they finally made the diplodactyl thing official? I head that being kicked around a while ago from the gecko lab, but I didn't realize it was a concrete change.

I'm going to have to start saying 'I keep New Caledonian geckos' instead of 'I keep rhacs' if I want to pick up a pair of chewies at the next expo.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I called the CDC and they said they can't verify anything for legal reasons ( :confused: ), but urged me to check my records and toss any rodents purchased after 5/1/2012.

They'd get eaten alive in court for confirming something like while investigation is ongoing (especially if legal proceedings are likely to start), so it makes sense they're being guarded.

I'm glad I don't get live rodents from them but gently caress, I do have 100 bucks of their stuff from last weekend in the freezer.

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

But shakin' its all I know!
Jesus, this RodentPro business is pretty scary. I'm glad I decided not to place an order with them earlier this year (I decided to wait until a local show came around and picked up my mice from another distributor instead). My mom has a weakened immune system and I would have freaked the gently caress out if I had potentially infected mice.

Also this new classification stuff is pretty interesting, but I'm kinda sad now that I technically only have one rhac now! :( And speaking of New Caledonian geckos, does anyone else keep Eurydactylodes Agricolae? I have a little male who I adore but females are apparently impossible to find and it bums me out. I've seen like 3 pairs of E. Vieillardi and in the classifieds this year, but not one single lady aggie.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Hood Ornament posted:

And RodentPro has continued to sell to people without any warning? Nice.

From what I gather, yeah. There's still nothing on their website and they're not returning calls.

the yeti posted:

They'd get eaten alive in court for confirming something like while investigation is ongoing (especially if legal proceedings are likely to start), so it makes sense they're being guarded.

I'm glad I don't get live rodents from them but gently caress, I do have 100 bucks of their stuff from last weekend in the freezer.

I think my confusion was more them not wanting to say flat out anything about it, even if they were doing an investigation. But I suppose, like you said, legal stuff.

Their 'quarantine' was supposed to only last until July 11th but who knows when your stock was euthed and frozen. :( I hope it doesn't cause you any issues and I hope your feeders are safe. I'd say give them a call, but like I said, it seems practically nobody is getting return calls from them. I haven't yet either.

Bobbaganoosh
Jun 23, 2004

...kinda catchy...
drat. I got a RodentPro shipment in June. Fortunately the bulk was rats and rat pups.

Dan Krull of HerpNation interviewed the curator of the Kentucky Reptile Zoo who brought the issue to light.

Audio interview here (Warning, it autoplays).
http://www.herpnation.com/audio/breaking-news-kristen-wiley/?simple_nav_category=audiof

Cultured Snail
Sep 19, 2006
tasteful

hypnotoad posted:

Also this new classification stuff is pretty interesting, but I'm kinda sad now that I technically only have one rhac now! :( And speaking of New Caledonian geckos, does anyone else keep Eurydactylodes Agricolae? I have a little male who I adore but females are apparently impossible to find and it bums me out. I've seen like 3 pairs of E. Vieillardi and in the classifieds this year, but not one single lady aggie.
Keep an eye out in the autumn and spring; I see most of the female agricolae at shows around those times. A lot of them seem to sell before they get listed online. I know there was one that was on Fauna for quite some time before it was purchased, just recently, too!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Those little Agricole are neat. I would like to branch into them and Viper geckos, but of course that is in conflict with trying to restrain collection growth. Sometimes its a good thing when a species is more than you want to pay or hard to find. I just know some day i will run into them at a show for a reasonable rate and that will be all she wrote.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Glad I stopped buying rodents from Rodent Pro / Micedirect awhile back. I've found dead mites on rodents from both places, and one (I forget which, I think mice direct) sent me a rat with a giant abscess on its neck that burst/oozeded out a load of pus when I thawed it. Needless to say, that rat was tossed out and not fed to anything.

It was enough for me to quit buying from those places.

I was considering buying from this place: http://www.laynelabs.com/
I've heard really good things about them, but never placed an order because for me the shipping was just way too much ($20 over most other places) because I am on the opposite coast.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
I got a (juvenile) leopard gecko and I'm seeing some information that says stuff like Eco-Earth as substrate is really bad because they could eat it and suffer a stomach impaction, and some stuff that says you should put it in their hideaway as a moisture source for when they need to shed their skin.

So... is it OK to put it there, or should I find something else?

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

OneEightHundred posted:

I got a (juvenile) leopard gecko and I'm seeing some information that says stuff like Eco-Earth as substrate is really bad because they could eat it and suffer a stomach impaction, and some stuff that says you should put it in their hideaway as a moisture source for when they need to shed their skin.

So... is it OK to put it there, or should I find something else?

Impaction is a symptom of poor care. You just don't see impactions in healthy animals very often. As long as the Eco-Earth is dry, it's fine for a leopard gecko... although, I'll say that newspaper or paper towels is easier. Using Eco-Earth in a humid hide is perfectly fine.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I have finally gotten my website up and would love any positive/negative feedback you all have to offer. It covers both my geckos and beekeeping:

http://animaltree.org/

I am particularly happy with the gecko profiles:

http://animaltree.org/geckos/gecko-profiles

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
Congrats on your chahoua clutch nesbit! That's a lovely set of hatchlings you have there. :)

Did you name Green Man after It's Always Sunny in Philadeplia? Because if so, I wholeheartedly support that.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Thanks! Always Sunny is pretty much where the name came from, apart from the fact that he is a really green chahoua. I originally meant to come up with something else later but it just stuck.

PowderKeg
Apr 5, 2003
Not actually a 'pet' related question but maybe someone can advise...

I've been getting a little concerned about the slow increase of copperhead sightings around my yard lately (I live in western NC, there be coppers and timber rattlers here). The baby one I found in my house last night has me pretty freaked out and researching up and down for solutions. Conventional advice aside (no woodpiles, thin out vegetation), I hear having a kingsnake or two in the yard will help quite a bit with this. This is the local species. So is it feasible to buy a young one or two and release them?

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

PowderKeg posted:

I've been getting a little concerned about the slow increase of copperhead sightings around my yard lately (I live in western NC, there be coppers and timber rattlers here). The baby one I found in my house last night has me pretty freaked out and researching up and down for solutions. Conventional advice aside (no woodpiles, thin out vegetation), I hear having a kingsnake or two in the yard will help quite a bit with this. This is the local species. So is it feasible to buy a young one or two and release them?

Chances are, you've always had the same amount of copperheads as always, you're just noticing them more. The best thing is to just leave them alone. As long as you don't mess with them, they're really not too bad.

Buying snakes to release is a bad idea due to the potential of introducing diseases into the native population.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
PowderKeg. I have a very important question for you. How do you feel about Mongooses and Honey Badgers?

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

You could also try to get rid of rodents in your house; snakes typically don't go where they can't find food.

Or you could just realize how awesome it is. Your first sentence sounds like it's bragging, and it should be.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

PowderKeg posted:

Understand I'm not saying this to be insulting, but drawing on all my western NC snaking experience I'm obligated to ask if you're sure it was a copperhead?

In any case fixing cracks around your doors and windows, and basement entrances if you have one, will help keep them out of the house. As far as numbers, Big Centipede is right on the money. At worst the heat might be disrupting their movement habits some causing you to come across more.

Saturniid19
Aug 1, 2006
brought to you by North Central Positronics
My western hognose has had mites for about six months now and my latest attempt to get rid of them has been unsuccessful. She is my only snake, although I work with others at both of my jobs. My method has gone like this:

Remove snake
Soak snake in water
Throw out substrate (aspen)
Wash out tank
Take tank outside
Seal tank with plastic wrap
Set tank in sun for a few hours (it's been over 90 F here)
Treat snake's head with mineral oil
Keep snake in separate container with paper towel bedding for a few weeks.

I put her back in the tank a few days ago after she shed and today I found another mite in her water dish. I'm trying not to use pesticides because I also keep tarantulas, but I also don't want this to be a chronic problem. She'll be brumating in a few months and I doubt having her blood sucked out is going to help her stay healthy. She's about 11 months old and a foot long. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Take care of the dead and the dead will take care of you

OneTwentySix posted:

You could also try to get rid of rodents in your house; snakes typically don't go where they can't find food.

Or you could just realize how awesome it is. Your first sentence sounds like it's bragging, and it should be.

Copperheads eat more than rodents, they are probably just trying to escape the summer heat.

• Locked thread