Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I managed to get an LG display/Toshiba SSD with my 2012 Air. The screen is fine with some calibration setting tweaks, but should I be concerned with the SSD if my use case on this is general surfing, Twitter, mail, etc? I won't be doing any Blu-Ray ripping or whatever like in the Anand article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Jabe posted:

I'm playing this game called the Witcher 2 and it's quite graphically intensive. My retina macbook pro gets super hot and the fans start blazing like crazy. I wouldn't want to turn it into goo by playing some PC game.

So is it unhealthy to get the macbook pro this hot?
It automatically downclocks when it heats up, so as long as the ambient temperature isn't too hot (90F is the rated maximum) it should not be possible to cause damage with heavy load.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
It will turn itself off if it gets too hot, so by rights it is "impossible" to damage that way.

I would recommend lifting it up off the table if you play for extended periods, and possibly forcing the fans to full speed (can you still do that?).

As an aside, is the Mac "port" of Witcher2 out yet?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

~Coxy posted:

As an aside, is the Mac "port" of Witcher2 out yet?
"Fall"

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

MOLLUSC posted:

No, it's a completely different motherboard and everything.
Yeah you'd basically have to replace everything but the drives and case...some people have turned G5's into hackintoshes though :v:. Hell the original Intel Mac dev kits were basically like that I think, plain x86 board in a G5.

Nut Bunnies posted:

I managed to get an LG display/Toshiba SSD with my 2012 Air. The screen is fine with some calibration setting tweaks, but should I be concerned with the SSD if my use case on this is general surfing, Twitter, mail, etc? I won't be doing any Blu-Ray ripping or whatever like in the Anand article.
You're fine unless you're relying on heavy drive I/O, which you're not. Even if you were it didn't look like the numbers in the Anandtech review were all that bad...poor relative to the bigger/faster Samsung but not horrible. I'd be surprised if you would notice outside of large transfers at a degraded state.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Did anyone else with a Macbook run into the problem with Sandforce SSD's where the drive won't auto-negotiate SATA 2, and is stuck at 1.5GB/s?

OCZ has a utility to lock/unlock the drive to 3.0 GB/s, and that 'fixes' it, but it doesn't look like any of the other manufacturers do.

eames
May 9, 2009

tuna posted:

Scrolling is also only really bad on Facebook here too. Although after my update to ML, switching spaces is now sort of a slide show whereas it was milky smooth in Lion.

I read something about this on the Apple Forums since I’m awaiting my rMBP.

Try to right click your download folder in the Dock and set "Display as" from "Stack" to "Folder". Repeat that for all other "Stack" folders you may have in your Dock. Apparently that speeds things up a lot. :shrug:

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

eames posted:

Try to right click your download folder in the Dock and set "Display as" from "Stack" to "Folder". Repeat that for all other "Stack" folders you may have in your Dock. Apparently that speeds things up a lot. :shrug:

This worked! :confused:

Thanks for the tip. This is some stupid poo poo in ML.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

eames posted:

Maybe that's why I haven't noticed any issues with swiping between spaces on my retina MBP. One of the first things I always do is switch any stack folders to Folder/Grid view.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Has anyone else noticed audio being pretty terrible when integrated graphics are active on your retina MBP? As soon as my computer switches to integrated, any sort of audio playback becomes very prone to popping/crackling/stuttering. I've forced it onto discrete, which fixes the problem, but does make the battery life a bit worse.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
This is probably just meaningless speculation but does this happen with you're plugged in with the grounded power cable on a confirmed to be grounded outlet?

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

crazysim posted:

This is probably just meaningless speculation but does this happen with you're plugged in with the grounded power cable on a confirmed to be grounded outlet?

Happens plugged in or not, but the outlet is grounded. Mostly I'm running on battery when I notice. Since it doesn't happen when discrete graphics are enabled, it seems to be a resource issue of some sort, but maybe there's some wonky setting that's been dragged forward from 4 OS installs ago that's messing with it.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

My 2008 15" MBP is having an odd power problem: clicking off during use (on battery), or doing the painful reawaken thing, or even booting from scratch after closing. I'd say it was the battery, but it's always comfortably full (both reportedly and actually, as I can keep using it) once I've turned it back on.

Could it be software related?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I finally got around to doing the SMC reset for my MBPr, and during that restart it put my fans into what must be 100% power for a second. I guess I don't have to worry about playing Minecraft at full screen on that computer, because I've never heard the fans go that loud since I bought it, except for that time. Every other time the machine has been silent, even if it was getting warm to the touch under Notch's code.

Gray Cells
Mar 24, 2011

Beware of little gray kitties...
I'm a noob to Macs so I apologise if this question seems stupid. I only got my 13" MacBook Pro a couple of weeks ago. It has one jack for mic or headphones. I need a headset with headphones and mic combined for my lengthy Skype calls so despite a good inbuilt mic, that doesn't solve the problem.
Simple answer right? Buy a USB headset/combined mic. I do so but my Skype callers say there is a horrid static sound coming from my side. I've researched and it seems there can be a problem with Macs and USB headsets for some reason where there is feedback/static/distortion. I'm really frustrated by this and I don't know what to do next.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
To any MBPr users that have trouble with their computers kernel panicking after a deep sleep.... You might run into a bug with Bluetooth and ML:

http://blog.avatron.com/post/28135386805/kernel-panics-mountain-lion-and-bluetooth posted:

We discovered a fascinating obscure bug in Mountain Lion. Fortunately there’s an easy workaround. Here’s the bug:

Sleep your Mac (either explicitly or by closing a laptop).
Turn off all of your Bluetooth devices.
Wake your Mac.
Watch helplessly as your Mac goes into a Kernel Panic.

The workaround:

Don’t do that. At least not in that order.

If you turn off your Bluetooth devices before sleeping, you’ll be fine. If you don’t turn off the Bluetooth devices at all, you’ll be fine. It’s only if you turn off the devices while the Mac is sleeping that this happens.
http://blog.avatron.com/post/28135386805/kernel-panics-mountain-lion-and-bluetooth

I have since uninstalled AirDisplay and updated other kexts installed (Airfoil, removed Virtualbox, removed Soundflower). Here's hoping mine stops kernel panicking!

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008

Gray Cells posted:

I'm a noob to Macs so I apologise if this question seems stupid. I only got my 13" MacBook Pro a couple of weeks ago. It has one jack for mic or headphones. I need a headset with headphones and mic combined for my lengthy Skype calls so despite a good inbuilt mic, that doesn't solve the problem.
Simple answer right? Buy a USB headset/combined mic. I do so but my Skype callers say there is a horrid static sound coming from my side. I've researched and it seems there can be a problem with Macs and USB headsets for some reason where there is feedback/static/distortion. I'm really frustrated by this and I don't know what to do next.

Snag a pair of the iphone headphones that have the mic & volume control.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Gray Cells posted:

What headset, exactly? I've used a Logitech USB headset for a long time without problems.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
How easily do MacBooks scratch? I just got my Air today, and it already has what looks like a scratch. I haven't done anything that would scratch it there, though, which makes it really weird. It seems inconceivable that it would ship with s scratch, though. :(

Gray Cells
Mar 24, 2011

Harry Totterbottom posted:

Snag a pair of the iphone headphones that have the mic & volume control.
That's a good idea, but I find in ear headphones not too comfortable for long time use. I'll think about it!

manero posted:

What headset, exactly? I've used a Logitech USB headset for a long time without problems.

It's a Logitech H330 USB Headset. The sound is crystal clear from my side, but as I say callers complain I sound distorted, usually only after 20 minutes of being in call.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Gray Cells posted:

That's a good idea, but I find in ear headphones not too comfortable for long time use. I'll think about it!

It's a Logitech H330 USB Headset. The sound is crystal clear from my side, but as I say callers complain I sound distorted, usually only after 20 minutes of being in call.

It could be your headset, but it could also be your Skype connection. I guess swap out for a different one, but I've been on very clear Skype calls with USB headsets on a Mac. I've heard garbled skype calls from poor bandwidth.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ufarn posted:

How easily do MacBooks scratch? I just got my Air today, and it already has what looks like a scratch. I haven't done anything that would scratch it there, though, which makes it really weird. It seems inconceivable that it would ship with s scratch, though. :(

Depends on how careful you are with it. Get a case/cover.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Depends on how careful you are with it. Get a case/cover.
It's basically just been on my desktop the entire day. Took it out of the box, put it on the desktop, used it. Tested it in my BookBook cover, and there wasn't anything to scratch it there - and least no in the place where the scratch is.

How much does it take to scratch one?

Gray Cells
Mar 24, 2011

manero posted:

It could be your headset, but it could also be your Skype connection. I guess swap out for a different one, but I've been on very clear Skype calls with USB headsets on a Mac. I've heard garbled skype calls from poor bandwidth.

Ok thanks, I'll investigate that. Is your USB headset typically a more expensive one, I just wonder because mine was the cheapest Logitech USB available.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ufarn posted:

It's basically just been on my desktop the entire day. Took it out of the box, put it on the desktop, used it. Tested it in my BookBook cover, and there wasn't anything to scratch it there - and least no in the place where the scratch is.

How much does it take to scratch one?

What's the scratch look like? You could have slid it on the table and it caught some debri, snagged it with your watch or jewelry, etc.

Not to say that it wasn't there when you bought it, I'm sure that's possible as well.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

What's the scratch look like? You could have slid it on the table and it caught some debri, snagged it with your watch or jewelry, etc.

Not to say that it wasn't there when you bought it, I'm sure that's possible as well.
It's basically a dot with a dark-grey colour. I first thought it was some dirt, but when I tried to wash it it wouldn't come off. I don't wear watches, and there isn't any dirt in the new BookBook cover.

It's just really weird, and kinda sucks on the first day you get it, but I almost feel bad calling up Apple about this.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Gray Cells posted:

The standard iPhone ones aren't in ear...well they're earbuds, but not the type that go in with a seal like most headphones these days. Alternatively I think you can get pretty much any standard 3.5mm headphone/mic/clicker headset, while the ones with volume control need to be iPhone specific.

Otherwise there's Bluetooth headsets too, they're only $20-30 on the lower end.

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008

japtor posted:

Otherwise there's Bluetooth headsets too, they're only $20-30 on the lower end.

I haven't done any testing in skype with bluetooth headsets, but my luck with them in lync has been pretty spotty... it might have just been the lovely jawbone though...

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005
Sorry if this question has already been answered:

I have a 15-inch 2010 MacBook Pro. A number of the body screws are missing, and 3 out of 4 of the rubber "feet" are gone.

Where can I reliably get replacements for these things?

Gray Cells
Mar 24, 2011

Harry Totterbottom posted:

I haven't done any testing in skype with bluetooth headsets, but my luck with them in lync has been pretty spotty... it might have just been the lovely jawbone though...

Yeah, I'm not too keen on the Bluetooth headset idea, but as a last resort I might use one. I'm looking for a new USB headset in the hopes that it's my cheapo one causing the problem. I'll probably buy some new Apple headphones+mic anyway as a back up.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Update to SCRATCH-GATE to the four of you who are interested.

The Apple rep told me that it is indeed possible that the products can ship with scratches, and they agreed to replace my Air with a new one. So yay Apple.

Akujunkan
Dec 28, 2006

the vicious cycle
Going absolutely crazy with some Macbook Air wifi problems and hoping some of you can help.

Problem: Getting < 10 Mbps downstream via Speedtest.net with Bluetooth enabled, < 15 Mbps with Bluetooth disabled. Upstream is actually faster consistently, a bit over 10 Mbps.

It's very inconsistent. In the past few hours I've testing I topped 20 Mbps, once. Then just the past few minutes I got 1.5 Mbps (with Bluetooth disabled).

Causes Eliminated:
  • ISP. PC connected via ethernet gets 70 Mbps
  • Router. Replaced a Buffalo router running DD-WRT with a Asus router running Tomato.
  • Wifi: iPhone on the same network gets over 20 Mbps (if it's in range of a MBA with Bluetooth on however, that speed is greatly reduced)
  • Computer: My wife has a Macbook Air that has the exact same issue
  • Outdated OS: We're both on Mountain Lion but had this issue on Lion as well
  • General Wifi issues: My link speed in the menu shows 72 and the Network Utility link speed shows 144 Mbit/s

Fixes Attempted:
  • As mentioned above, disabling Bluetooth increases the speed by ~5 Mbps. Unfortunately this makes all of our Bluetooth keyboards and mice useless. However if I was able to disable Bluetooth and get > 15 Mbps I'd be at least a bit happier
  • Went to Network -> Set Service Order and put Wi-Fi above Bluetooth. This actually increased speeds from 1 Mbps (lol) to 10.
  • Plugged in manual Google DNS
  • Replaced wireless router (mentioned above)
  • Changed wireless channel several times
  • Forced N only mode
  • Disabled wireless security
  • Moved around to different locations including right next to the router

I'm going loving crazy :(

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

ufarn posted:

Update to SCRATCH-GATE to the four of you who are interested.

The Apple rep told me that it is indeed possible that the products can ship with scratches, and they agreed to replace my Air with a new one. So yay Apple.

Guess someone else will be getting a sick new refurb, the system works.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

What should I check on a Mac Mini Server, that's slow to connect?

Screen Sharing or File Sharing, I click on the drat thing, then choose 'connect as', then it takes 30 seconds to log on. Everyone on the network has the same problem with their Macs, I don't think the Windows people do.

The DNS server is set to our firewall (m0n0wall which also does DNS/DHCP etc). It surfs the net fine and file transfers seem to be good speeds, once you've connected to the drat thing.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Didja turn off IPV6? Enter a valid search domain? Enter the proper WINS servers? Use good cables?Patch to the latest software updates? If setting manually, use the proper net masks?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

Didja turn off IPV6? Enter a valid search domain? Enter the proper WINS servers? Use good cables?Patch to the latest software updates? If setting manually, use the proper net masks?

IPV6 is off.

Search domain is companyname.local like it its on the other machines. No WINS, latest OS updates, netmask is 255.255.255.0 like the rest of the machines.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
Can someone comment on the UI choppyness in a rMBP when you force the GT650 as the primary graphics card?

I know some people don't consider it to be an issue, but its noticable for me. I have read that forcing the GT650 to run at all times alleviates the issues. Has anyone tried this?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Bobx66 posted:

Can someone comment on the UI choppyness in a rMBP when you force the GT650 as the primary graphics card?

I know some people don't consider it to be an issue, but its noticable for me. I have read that forcing the GT650 to run at all times alleviates the issues. Has anyone tried this?

I can't comment on it because I don't have one, but have you tried Mountain Lion? It's supposed to alleviate most of the choppiness.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

Shmoogy posted:

I can't comment on it because I don't have one, but have you tried Mountain Lion? It's supposed to alleviate most of the choppiness.

Tried it side by side at the apple store this week. Didn't seem to make a difference. Some say Lion made it worse. Per some posts a few pages back it seems the rMBP owners in the thread seem to agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Bobx66 posted:

I use gfxCardStatus to manually switch to the GT650 if I'm noticing any real choppiness, but Safari on ML runs so smoothly that I generally only bother flipping over to it if I'm using facebook in Chrome for some reason. But in that case, yes, going from integrated to discrete does make a big difference.