Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
My VR headset prediction: Remember people got/get doomsick / fps-sick? This will be 10 times worse. Vomit will literally spray out of every orifice in your body as soon as you put the headset on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

redreader posted:

My VR headset prediction: Remember people got/get doomsick / fps-sick? This will be 10 times worse. Vomit will literally spray out of every orifice in your body as soon as you put the headset on.

The time for a new Descent is NOW.

Hell, they make gyroscopic seats for flight sims, don't they?

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug
I've been trying to find a head mounted display for a wearable computer setup I've been thinking about for years, with any luck this will take off and we'll see more of that sort of thing in the future. A high-res HMD combined with good cameras/cameras with different filters would allow you to have predator-style vision where you could switch from the visible spectrum to IR and night vision or what have you, while being able to add augmented reality overlays.

Or you could use it to play games or surf the web wherever you go or something. It'll put us one step closer to being able to have setups like the gargoyles in Snow Crash.

Closet Cyborg
Jan 1, 2008
Our love will rust this world

Prosthetic_Mind posted:

I've been trying to find a head mounted display for a wearable computer setup I've been thinking about for years, with any luck this will take off and we'll see more of that sort of thing in the future. A high-res HMD combined with good cameras/cameras with different filters would allow you to have predator-style vision where you could switch from the visible spectrum to IR and night vision or what have you, while being able to add augmented reality overlays.

Or you could use it to play games or surf the web wherever you go or something. It'll put us one step closer to being able to have setups like the gargoyles in Snow Crash.

Screw games and web-browsing, predator vision is totally where it's at.

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

MY OPINIONS ARE NOT WORTH THEIR WEIGHT IN SHIT
Hey guys, I'm migrating over here from another forum at the recommendation of a couple of friends, and they suggested posting my IGG campaign here in case anyone was interested in this sort of thing.

It's a cooperative a play-by-forum strategy game / armoured warfare sim, which will be published on RPGNow as a PDF and sold for 20 bucks (pretty good value for 500~ page full color ebook, in my opinion). If you pre-order it now you can get it at half price.

If you'd like to take a look and give feedback, support the project or click the like button, that'd be really awesome. I'm using the Kickstarter all-or-nothing funding model, because I think that's the only fair model for backers (I'd use Kickstarter itself, but I'm not a U.S. citizen).

(I don't want to come off as a spammer or shill or whatever, I'm just trying to make a go at self-publishing a game & read in the rules that it was okay to post about your crowdfunding projects in here. If it's not cool I'll delete the post).

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

You might want to move that to the Kickstarter thread in Traditional Games. You'd probably find more interested people in there than in Games proper.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

Cool, but it might be better served in the Traditional Games Subforum, which has it's own crowdfunding megathread here-
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3492577&perpage=40
Hope you succeed.

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

MY OPINIONS ARE NOT WORTH THEIR WEIGHT IN SHIT
Oops, sorry about that: I'll move it there.

Thank you for the well-wishing.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Prosthetic_Mind posted:

One step closer. Now just someone come up with an equivalent to the Street that isn't filled with pedophiles and furries. :v:

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Tsurupettan posted:

One step closer. Now just someone come up with an equivalent to the Street that isn't filled with pedophiles and furries. :v:

If furries were a thing then, you can be drat sure they would have been on the street as well, and considering the style and setting of that book, I doubt it would be much of a stretch to assume there were pedos as well.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Why are they calling the goggles high res? That's not what I would consider to be a high resolution considering the displays are an inch from your eyes, and furthermore it's about the same resolution that was available 5 years ago, last time I looked into it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Republicans posted:

The time for a new Descent is NOW.

Hell, they make gyroscopic seats for flight sims, don't they?

Yes. Hell, some F-Zero AX cabinets have moving seats. Descent with a seat setup like that and the goggles would be a hell of an experience.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

ten dollar bitcoin posted:

Why are they calling the goggles high res? That's not what I would consider to be a high resolution considering the displays are an inch from your eyes, and furthermore it's about the same resolution that was available 5 years ago, last time I looked into it.

Nothing affordable is even close to the field of view. The Oculus Rift is about immersion and you need a high fov over resolution to get that. These are also dev kits, not consumer products. They don't have to be super high res.

The main stumbling block is that the panels needed simply aren't made in a quantity that is affordable. Everyone manufactures stuff that is going to sell millions and millions when used in smart phones and IOS devices. Many devices share the same panels. Apple also has the factory production space sewn up pretty tight with the quantities they require to produce products for the demand they have. Furthermore, the panels need a way to be driven and most panels that are produced today, are produced to be driven by custom designed hardware for those phones. This increases the expense of the hardware design.

The Oculus Rift is pretty much a lesson in savvy equipment procurement with parts that are available in the quantities required and at a reasonable price and can be assembled into a very functional device. The consumer version will probably kick the poo poo out of the dev kits.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
This isn't a videogame, per se, but it's gaming-related. There's a Kickstarter for a new gaming convention called Gaymercon. I think the idea is pretty great and could help promote more positive visibility of LGBT people both as gamers and in gaming culture as a whole.

Might even inspire people to write more actually well-written LGBT characters. The lady who voiced GlaDOS helped work on their video, too! I'm crossposting this because it was foolishly posted in the Awful Kickstarters thread.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Azure_Horizon posted:

This isn't a videogame, per se, but it's gaming-related. There's a Kickstarter for a new gaming convention called Gaymercon. I think the idea is pretty great and could help promote more positive visibility of LGBT people both as gamers and in gaming culture as a whole.

Might even inspire people to write more actually well-written LGBT characters. The lady who voiced GlaDOS helped work on their video, too! I'm crossposting this because it was foolishly posted in the Awful Kickstarters thread.
Huh. My knee jerk reaction is that such a thing is stupid, but... given how bad gamer culture is on average, I suppose having an event like this to promote thought the other way might make sense.

I'm kind of surprised that Anna Anthropy's name isn't tied to this yet.

EDIT: though for a convention focused on LGBTQ, he seems to only mention gay men in the video. Cute.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 3, 2012

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Azure_Horizon posted:

I'm crossposting this because it was foolishly posted in the Awful Kickstarters thread.

I believe that was out of ignorance rather than malice.

EDIT: "Foolish" in the prior context can be interpreted in several ways e.g. "he is foolish to have such discriminatory opinions". PEDANTIIIIIIIIIC

StevenM fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Aug 3, 2012

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

StevenM posted:

I believe that was out of ignorance rather than malice.

Which is why I called it foolish, rather than bigoted. ;)

Edit: Shalinor, yeah, I noticed that too. They could really tune up that video overall.

Edit 2: I honestly can't tell if the people replying to Necron's post are sarcastic or not over in the Awful thread.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Aug 3, 2012

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Shalinor posted:

Huh. My knee jerk reaction is that such a thing is stupid, but... given how bad gamer culture is on average, I suppose having an event like this to promote thought the other way might make sense.

I'm kind of surprised that Anna Anthropy's name isn't tied to this yet.

EDIT: though for a convention focused on LGBTQ, he seems to only mention gay men in the video. Cute.

That was my initial reaction too, but again, anything that tries to prod "gamer culture" into being slightly more aware of its own awfulness is probably more good than bad.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

Azure_Horizon posted:

This isn't a videogame, per se, but it's gaming-related. There's a Kickstarter for a new gaming convention called Gaymercon.

If nothing else, it's incredibly nice to see someone doing a 'fund my NerdCon' on Kickstarter who actually seems to have a plan/some degree of competency.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

They couldn't think of anything to call it other than GaymerCon?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

They couldn't think of anything to call it other than GaymerCon?

Why call it anything else? "Gaymer" has been a term for several years now.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Azure_Horizon posted:

Edit 2: I honestly can't tell if the people replying to Necron's post are sarcastic or not over in the Awful thread.

Dex and LeafHouse are obviously being sarcastic. Their contempt for the (mistaken?) context of the post is audible.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Azure_Horizon posted:

"Gaymer" has been a term for several years now.

I didn't know that, I guess it makes more sense then.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Azure_Horizon posted:

Why call it anything else? "Gaymer" has been a term for several years now.

It's a stupid term.

Fake edit: "Gamer" is also a stupid term.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Ryaomon posted:

It's a stupid term.

Fake edit: "Gamer" is also a stupid term.

Well, you're certainly bothered easily then.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I think I'd probably hesitate to label myself a gamer since even to me that word brings up negative stereotypes.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

Azure_Horizon posted:

Well, you're certainly bothered easily then.

It's a term so broad it's virtually useless. How do you define 'gamer'? Someone who plays games? That's pretty much everyone, even grannies in nursing homes playing Sudoku. People who play a lot of games? That still covers a lot of people, including a lot of groups (say, Settlers of Catan players and Halo junkies) who have equal claim to the title, but really nothing in common. People who define themselves by their game playing? Well, then we're back around to the negative connotations.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

There are plenty of people who identify as gamers without feeling negatively about it, and I see absolutely nothing wrong with "gaymer" other than it being a little bit eye-rollingly punny. But hey people involved with games aren't exactly known for their clever wordplay -- just look at the go-to industry insider journo site. You can't sit here and tell me "Gamasutra" isn't the dumbest word in the world.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Volgarr hit its goal, and it's the game by some really good friends of mine. Check it out if you haven't, yet: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1829034266/volgarr-the-viking?ref=live

I also think it's a poster child for perfect Kickstarter: Super low, reasonable goal. Completely manageable reward tiers, no insane $20 t-shirt tier that ends up with all of the Kickstarter funds going to fulfilling rewards. Fantastic video: Paced well enough to keep your attention and explain who they are and what they want to do, and poorly produced (low quality camera / lighting) that helps show that these guys don't have a lot of money.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

InShaneee posted:

It's a term so broad it's virtually useless. How do you define 'gamer'? Someone who plays games? That's pretty much everyone, even grannies in nursing homes playing Sudoku. People who play a lot of games? That still covers a lot of people, including a lot of groups (say, Settlers of Catan players and Halo junkies) who have equal claim to the title, but really nothing in common. People who define themselves by their game playing? Well, then we're back around to the negative connotations.

I'm pretty sure "gamer" is exclusive to videogames. It's a term that was created and then perpetuated by that certain subset of people who play games. It has its negative connotations, like many terms that define people, but it's an incredibly innocuous descriptor; same with "gaymer."

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Azure_Horizon, you have to be kidding. "Gamer" has been used to describe table-top roleplaying fans since the 1970s, and probably comes from "wargamer" which was probably shortened to "gamer" before then, too.

That is actually why I was about to post about what a useless term it is. Every time my wife tries to explain that I am a gamer to someone, even though I am both the computer- and table-top-gamer variety, that person is always like "oh I ALSO love Angry Birds/Gears of War!!!" because it is basically like a category saying "person who enjoys not-work."

speng31b
May 8, 2010

I think we can all agree that if we're talking about a video game convention, context provides enough detail to make clear what the word "gaymer" is referring to, right? Because we are still talking about the KickStarter?

Chainclaw posted:

Volgarr hit its goal, and it's the game by some really good friends of mine. Check it out if you haven't, yet: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1829034266/volgarr-the-viking?ref=live

I also think it's a poster child for perfect Kickstarter: Super low, reasonable goal. Completely manageable reward tiers, no insane $20 t-shirt tier that ends up with all of the Kickstarter funds going to fulfilling rewards. Fantastic video: Paced well enough to keep your attention and explain who they are and what they want to do, and poorly produced (low quality camera / lighting) that helps show that these guys don't have a lot of money.

I donated to this. It's the first "retro platformer" I've seen in awhile that has done something new enough with its look and feel to make it stand out in any significant way. But maybe it's just because I'm a sucker for the Viking/metal theme. I love the giblet spray when you defeat enemies, and most of all, I love that they seem to have a demonstrable working prototype BEFORE launching a KickStarter.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 3, 2012

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Of course. I think "GaymerCon" is about as succinct as you can get for an LGBTQ gamer convention.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The Giana project has a new stretch goal for making the game playable on the OUYA, even if I doubt that will ever happen.

Detective Grimoire reached it's goal, so it's coming out on PC, IOS and Android devices. No mention of OUYA compatibility yet, though...

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Has Forge been mentioned? Looks like SMNC meets hard fantasy. Also looks like you can play as a bear. You can have a bear companion! Still, looks pretty cool.

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Aug 3, 2012

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

I think I'd probably hesitate to label myself a gamer since even to me that word brings up negative stereotypes.

As a thought experiment, here's a google image search for "gamer"

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
How is that a thought experiment

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

What exactly is keeping the money away from Shadowrun Online? Is it just some massive scam or are people being mindful because the thing is being developed by the Jagged Alliance online guys?

Edit:vvvv Too bad. From the looks of things, while the Online variant isn't looking stellar, it also isn't half-bad from the prototype stuff they've shown. Though that is a bit early to tell from at this stage.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Aug 3, 2012

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I'd assume the latter. Plus, most people who supported the Shadowrun Returns game did so because it had Jordan Weisman at the helm and nobody thought there would ever be a new Shadowrun videogame without Kickstarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I was confused why there was even a second Shadowrun Kickstarter, I thought it was a double dip for a while, like Star Command. I imagine I wasn't the only person in this boat.