Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Boggus posted:

Currently 9 hours in on Divinity II - The Dragon Knight Saga. Anyone got any idea on how long this game is? It is so far a pretty mediocre western rpg that is fun in short bursts. I am pretty much well experienced when it comes to western rpgs so this game isn't really a hurdle but I really want to know how much there is left seeing how the story is beginning to slow down.

According to How Long to Beat, it's about 35 hours for the main story: http://howlongtobeat.com/gamebreakdown.php?gameid=192.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yugge
Aug 27, 2008
Beaten - Duke Nukem Forever - The worst thing about this game really is that it's not totally awful. It is however painfully dull. OK, the minigames are pretty awful, and the "get small and run around a kitchen trying to get big again" stuff is obnoxious. But honestly, the corridor shooting levels are just dull.

Beaten(?) - Hack,Slash,Loot - Ok, ok, maybe it's not beaten in the regular sense since I only cleared one of the quests. But I thought about it and I felt like It's beaten. I googled a bit and it seemed like people call that beating the game. This game is a perfect example of streamlining a roguelike too far. There really isn't any strategy to this beyond - hope to find a good item - slay monsters. You can't really run away since there is no way of slowing down the enemies behind you. Don't spend your money on this when Dredmor exists.

Next up: Roboblitz

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Bobby The Rookie posted:

Playing Recettear
Don't restart.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Colon V posted:

Don't restart.
I know that you get to keep playing with your current merchant level and stock if you can't make the payment, but if I'm going all the way back to day 2 anyway, I might as well Be A Man about it- it's not a crushingly tough game to begin with, so I expected a little more leeway with the one "game-ending mechanic," but nope, you totally get thrown out on your rear end, just in a nice sort of way. I don't need that charity, this is capitalism.

thizzin forever
Apr 10, 2007

Machinarium: I didn't finish it but I am finished with it. I reached a point where I spent an hour back tracking between two screens trying to figure out what I was supposed to do before finally giving up and looking at a FAQ and seeing the solution confirmed that this game isn't for me as there is no way I would have ever figured it out on my own. Also not being able to tell what you can interact with until you're right next to it just seems like the worst sort of pixel hunting and led to me wasting a bunch of time on another puzzle before realizing something that looked like part of the foreground was actually something I could pick up. It strikes me as the sort of game I would love to watch someone else who already knows the puzzles play through so I could just soak up the great visuals and cutesy storytelling but not the kind of game I have the patience for anymore.

Jeopardy(SNES): Showed that AI who was the boss. Also whenever Trebek asks a question it cuts to him making this weird expression with a really pronounced raising of his eyebrows. Also for anyone who follows giantbomb one of the selectable characters looks an awful lot like Drew.

Mush: Early impression is that this is exactly the kind of game I want on a phone. The controls are tailored to the device, using a combination of tilting the phone and simple swipe-based gestures to control your character, as opposed to shoe horning them into a game better suited to a traditional controller or even worse, using a virtual d-pad. The art style and music are adorable and it's been a joy to play so far. If you have a Windows phone it's worth checking out for $3.

Neverwinter Nights: I bought this at release, and then later bought the complete pack at release, and have played about five minutes of it before this weekend. The voice acting is real bad and the writing is about what I expect from a Bioware game, but I don't really play RPGs for the story anyway. I just want to collect loot and watch numbers go up and this game has that so I've been enjoying it. Only having two party members seems awfully weird for a D&D game but so far it hasn't really been that challenging.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Ghostbusters: Completed on normal. Steam thread had a few people pining its removal from Steam, so let me just say this. If you think Ghostbusters is a funny movie and would like to see about 10 hours of the same humor with average combat and obvious console port then it's a game for you. The fighting is fun as long as you have the iconic proton beam and sucks everytime you don't which is more or less every level after the third (there are seven). There's one rage-inducing part and otherwise it's very easy. If you cream your pants at the thought of Ghostbusters, especially the second movie, then this is the game for you and in all other cases you can surely find better games to play.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Bobby The Rookie posted:

I know that you get to keep playing with your current merchant level and stock if you can't make the payment, but if I'm going all the way back to day 2 anyway, I might as well Be A Man about it- it's not a crushingly tough game to begin with, so I expected a little more leeway with the one "game-ending mechanic," but nope, you totally get thrown out on your rear end, just in a nice sort of way. I don't need that charity, this is capitalism.
I respect that, hauling yourself up by your adorable bootstraps! I've restarted the game something like 3 times myself, I need to just power through and finish it at some point. Those last few payments can be brutal.

thizzin forever posted:

Machinarium: I didn't finish it but I am finished with it.
I'm with you here, I never finished this either. The rooms are all so small you'd think it wouldn't be easy to get stuck so much, but I don't have the patience for the pixel hunting and leaps of logic it sometimes requires. The world has a really neat design though.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Just beat Syndicate. Easily one of the worst shooters I've played in a long while. Yeah the co-op can be fun with a buddy when you can get a connection and the weapon animations are cool but literally everything else about this game is garbage. The story is laughably bad and shallow, it's short as hell, the graphics are bloomy garbage, the controls are weirdly swimmy, the upgrades and powers are boring as hell and you spend half the game with them disabled and the combat is just terrible. Hacking means you press E to disable someone's shield before you can hurt them and you have to do this over and over and over again. Fighting a bigger enemy? Expect to hack them 4+ times as they stand in one spot dumping bullets in your direction.

gently caress Syndicate. Yeah gently caress EA too for apparently pushing Starbreeze into making this game but holy hell I expected them to at least churn out something interesting or fun. There's hardly a single redeeming thing about this game and I'm glad I'm done with it.

Turada
Jun 17, 2006

On a mission from God
Didn't have time to play a lot of games for a while, but back in now after the sale. Since the end of July I've beaten...

Gundemonium Recollection & GundeadliGne: Jamestown made me think I was good at bullet hell games but these put me right. Beat 1 on Novice and 2 on Standard. Have no real desire to go back and beat them on non-babby difficulty. The lack of any in-game explanation for things (the manual isn't much better) was pretty frustrating, too.

Trine: Cool platformer. Not a whole lot of actual puzzles, which I was happy with, I prefer tough platforming to switches. Platform detection seemed off at times, jumping on air helped me get past a lot of areas. Thief is so clearly the best character I just let the other two sit and do nothing.

Cave Story+: I got this in Humble Bundle 4 and never added it to Steam till now. Completed with the Normal Ending, missed a bunch of secrets but I think just one life capsule. Was fun enough for the few hours it took and would be really challenging on the higher difficulty. Will definitely replay again in a while to unlock some of the extras.

Gyromancer: Steam says I played this game for 22 hours. It felt like 22 months but was probably under 20 hours of active play time. The most repetitive, monotonous gameplay imaginable not helped by whatever that writing was meant to be. Awful.

dflanny posted:

Nulled: Jamestown - This game is great, at least until Croatoa. Not only are you up against loads of bullets, but the environment as well. There's one bit where you lose 3 lives in like 2 seconds. I have no idea what the boss for this level is like as I never got that far. The only way I see to beat this is by rote memorization, and that's not why I play games. I've got better things to do. It was really good up until this point. Disappointing.

I loved Jamestown, beat all levels on Divine and the first on Judgment. The only rote memorisation I use is when I was doing score runs and trying to never drop vaunt. Knowing the rough areas enemies appear and where you should be is enough, it never felt like I had to remember every waves bullet pattern. It's a lot of fun Co-Op, too, and a little easier at times. What ship do you use? I play Gunner for almost everything, no other ship seems as useful for me.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I finally finished Fallout New Vegas, and it only took 156 hours of playtime! :buddy: Now to try an energy weapon run...

I keep on trying to play the original Fallout, but either the colors bug out or the video completely desyncs from the audio. I really wish that steam didn't sell broken products. :smith:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

I finally finished Fallout New Vegas, and it only took 156 hours of playtime! :buddy: Now to try an energy weapon run...

I keep on trying to play the original Fallout, but either the colors bug out or the video completely desyncs from the audio. I really wish that steam didn't sell broken products. :smith:

The GOG version works fine, in my experience, and the GOG forums (or even the Steam forums, if you're lucky) may have information on what they did to get it working.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I think I beat EYE today :psyduck: :brozuefs:.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Dodoman posted:

I think I beat EYE today :psyduck:

You-- you aren't sure? I guess that's... to be expected.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I've been slowly working my way through Geneforge 2, but as a break from that I decided to check out some stuff I got on Desura in various indie bundles. Results so far...

LaserCat: nulled. Desperately wants to be a cutesy version of VVVVVV, but fails terribly. Also, you can only quit with alt-F4.
Ichi: nulled. Pretty sure I've played the same game with different aesthetics in at least four other places over the past 20 years; it's not something I really enjoy.
Mutant Storm Reloaded: nulled. If I were into arena shooters, I might enjoy this. But I'm not.
Dead Pixels: beaten. Fun as far as it goes, but doesn't go very far; there's not much variation in terrain, enemies, or weapons, and the alternate modes don't seem different enough from the main "Dead Pixels" mode to stretch it out much. It was alright while it lasted, it just didn't last long.
Oniken: nulled. It looks pretty good but, much like the NES games it emulates, I don't have the patience for that difficulty level.

Saoshyant posted:

You-- you aren't sure? I guess that's... to be expected.

To this day I'm not sure if I beat EYE three times, once, or not at all.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I went through EYE twice, getting mildly different (but still awesome and :psyduck:) endings. I really can't be bothered going through the third time to see the "real" ending :effort:.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Completed: The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom. I beat this game awhile back, but I wanted to come back to play the bonus challenges. It's very similar to Braid, and I love the puzzles that it poses. I'm not very into speed-running, so I won't be getting all the time medals on the bonus levels. I did get the recording medals on them, which was very challenging.

My next challenge is to pick out which Steam game to play next. I'd like some thoughts from my fellow Goons on this. I have three options:

1) Start with all the small, short games I've picked up in various bundles or deals over the years (e.g. Jamestown, Cave Story+, Trine, etc.)
2) Play Fallout 3 & New Vegas, which a friend gifted me for Christmas
3) Play Skyrim, which my brother gifted me for my birthday in March

I don't want to diss my brother or friend by not playing amazing (or so I've heard) games they spent $50+ on, but I think the whole snowball effect of getting through small games may motivate me to play more. Thoughts?

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Beaten: Botanicula. That's about it from Amanita Design for me - I like their unusual approach to graphic adventures, but their "action" sequences continue to reduce me to sputtering rage.

Steam decided to celebrate this by wiping out all my game-categories information. :saddowns:

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I don't want to diss my brother or friend by not playing amazing (or so I've heard) games they spent $50+ on, but I think the whole snowball effect of getting through small games may motivate me to play more. Thoughts?

My solution: do both. Have an A-Game and a B-Game, and for any given gaming session you'll only really be in the mood for one or the other. If you're in the mood to play something like Jamestown or Trine, Skyrim isn't going to be very appealing, and vice versa.

In that vein, I'll be trading off now between Fallout 3 and Defense Grid.

Amplicon
Apr 27, 2011

Captain Obvious

:words:

:wth: That is a daunting backlog you have there. Perhaps beating some of the smaller games is ideed the way forward.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

My next challenge is to pick out which Steam game to play next. I'd like some thoughts from my fellow Goons on this. I have three options:

1) Start with all the small, short games I've picked up in various bundles or deals over the years (e.g. Jamestown, Cave Story+, Trine, etc.)
2) Play Fallout 3 & New Vegas, which a friend gifted me for Christmas
3) Play Skyrim, which my brother gifted me for my birthday in March

Certainly works for me. I went through most of my smaller titles as a sort of rolling start, with my first long title being Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. From there I alternated between whatever I felt like playing from a list of games on my backloggery now playing list and whatever was new :v:.

Jamestown and Cave Story are good games to whet your appetite and build some momentum. You might still get burnt out on longer games though, so as the previous poster suggested keep something else that you want to play installed as well.

Gilgamesh
Nov 26, 2001

Option #4: Fortune cookie (randomly choose) it on Backloggery. Tends to reduce my backlog pretty quickly because it gives me a game I know I'll hate (got it in a bundle), I try it, I hate it, and I null it, all within the span of an hour.

LordAndrew
Jul 13, 2009

Walking death machine equipped with the knowledge of Nuclear.
COMPLETED: Sonic the Hedgehog: Got all six Chaos Emeralds and beat up Robotnik or Eggman or whatever he's called in this one. Enjoyed it, should probably bother to play the other classic Sonic games.

BEATEN: Serious Sam: The Second Encounter: The final boss for this was a bit disappointing. But at least I'm free from CLOPCLOPCLOPCLOPCLOPCLOP.

UNFINISHED: Serious Sam 2: I started this up to see what it was like and stopped playing like an hour later because uh, what in the name of. Where did Serious Sam go and why is that AI character from Halo talking to me?

BEATEN: Deus Ex: Human Revolution: I finally managed to get my hands on this and I've been playing it non-stop for the last week. I adored the original Deus Ex and this one lives up to the original I think. I had a lot of fun sneaking around and not asking for this. I'll have to look into getting The Missing Link whenever I can.

PLAYING: Rayman Origins: I've been playing this on and off whenever I can with my brother. I played the first Rayman many a year ago on the Playstation and it always stuck out to me. Mostly because it was unforgivably difficult. Rayman Origins is pretty difficult too (though that just may be my brother and I sabotaging each other). I love the art style too.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Thanks for the ideas, everyone. Goons are the best support group. :)

I think I'm going to follow a bit of everyone's advice - I installed Skyrim, and used the fortune cookie to pick my alternate game (had it not been a short game, like VVVVVV, I would have kept picking).

Gilgamesh
Nov 26, 2001

I think I'm going to follow a bit of everyone's advice - I installed Skyrim, and used the fortune cookie to pick my alternate game (had it not been a short game, like VVVVVV, I would have kept picking).

I love VVVVVV and it's a great game to get picked randomly. I've played through the entire thing three times (standalone, then on Desura release, and then again on Steam release).

If you go for 100%, you will know the true horror that is "Doing Things the Hard Way"

(not a spoiler, it's obvious what you have to do, just doing it is the problem)

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
But it felt so drat good once you get it.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

:aaaaa: Looking forward to it?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Beat Wolfenstein today. Was relatively easy, even on hard. Most of my deaths were me just charging through instead of using my powers. Veil mode completely breaks the game - even with the power drain you can get through most sections with your mire/empower mode. I liked the pseudo-open world thing they had going on. Running into patrols wouldn't be as annoying as I thought. If you do get this game, get all the upgrades for the MP43 - that gun is a beast.

Overall the game was worth the 5$ I paid for it. Graphics are still good today, with some pretty nifty effects. Recommend you pick it up during the next steam sale (if it returns to steam).

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Gilgamesh posted:

(not a spoiler, it's obvious what you have to do, just doing it is the problem)
Actually, the problem is not smashing your computer after doing it all properly and then LANDING ON THE SAME SIDE OF THAT loving BARRIER AAARGH :argh:

Amplicon
Apr 27, 2011

Captain Obvious
Beaten batman: Arkham Asylum.

It was a fun ride. Nice story too.
Next up, LA NOIR and the remainder of Orcs must Die which I got gifted from a fellow goon.

Amplicon fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 4, 2012

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Completed Assassin's Creed II.

Starts out good. Gets mediocre and stupid about when it reaches Venice, and by the end I was spurred on not by the game being enjoyable in any way but because I hate it when I can't beat a game because of sheer overbearing mediocrity, and also being curious to see just how stupid it gets - the answer is 'really, really stupid'. Disappointing after such a strong start. Also it is the brownest loving game I've ever played, although admittedly I don't play any of the franchises infamous for it.

I guess next game on the chopping block is a quick Hard Reset, on top of my general project of Saint's Row 3.

thizzin forever
Apr 10, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Completed Assassin's Creed II.

Starts out good. Gets mediocre and stupid about when it reaches Venice, and by the end I was spurred on not by the game being enjoyable in any way but because I hate it when I can't beat a game because of sheer overbearing mediocrity, and also being curious to see just how stupid it gets - the answer is 'really, really stupid'. Disappointing after such a strong start. Also it is the brownest loving game I've ever played, although admittedly I don't play any of the franchises infamous for it.

I guess next game on the chopping block is a quick Hard Reset, on top of my general project of Saint's Row 3.

I had the same experience with AC2 and it's nice to know I'm not the only one, except I didn't even manage to finish it. I made it to the tomb with four puzzles and got annoyed by the game allowing me to jump off platforms into empty spaces and take a 20 foot fall to the floor and just quit. Between finishing the first game and playing maybe half the second I was just so thoroughly bored by the combat, story, and slow pace of everything that I have zero desire to ever play another AC game but then I see AC2 with pretty much universal praise and feel like I must have missed something.

Also you should play SR3, like right this second. It is neither brown nor mediocre. Saints Row 3 was the best thing I did last year, videogame or otherwise.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I've been playing SR3 anyway, last I played I finished off the Deckers storyline. It's great fun, but it's not something I want to rush. Or really feel like I am rushing, which is great.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Just beat Lair of the Evildoer on Desura which I got from some indie bundle. Pretty fun game and can easily be finished in under 2 hours. Sort of funny and some of the music is pretty awesome. A few of the enemy names got a chuckle out of me (bee named Zombee :laffo:). It's a buck on XBLIG IIRC so you can get it there if you want to - definitely worth a buck.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

thizzin forever posted:

I had the same experience with AC2 and it's nice to know I'm not the only one, except I didn't even manage to finish it. I made it to the tomb with four puzzles and got annoyed by the game allowing me to jump off platforms into empty spaces and take a 20 foot fall to the floor and just quit. Between finishing the first game and playing maybe half the second I was just so thoroughly bored by the combat, story, and slow pace of everything that I have zero desire to ever play another AC game but then I see AC2 with pretty much universal praise and feel like I must have missed something.

Also you should play SR3, like right this second. It is neither brown nor mediocre. Saints Row 3 was the best thing I did last year, videogame or otherwise.

AC: Brotherhood seems to front-load all its bullshit by making the first 4-5 hours of it essentially a tutorial. I'm having a really hard time mustering the motivation to complete it as a result. Can anyone say how Revelations is in this regard? I want to like the Assassin's Creed games so much but there's just so... much... filler...

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Small victories are the best kind of victories.

BEATEN: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness: Episode 1 - Finally got into it and it was certainly... interesting. From battling clowns, mimes and "fruit fuckers"(TM), collecting a jar of hobo urine to the final battle against a mime/cthulhu/god. The combat was pretty good, though dodging attacks was only made difficult by having such small font. Only a few hours involved, well worth getting out of my Backlog.

Currently Playing - Messing with a few games at a time, slowly getting into Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning; though its storyline isn't all that inspiring, Sniper Elite: V2; sniping skulls and watching them explode never gets old and should really be in all games and On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness: Episode 2; As I might as well clear it immediately after the first one.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
NULLED: Far Cry. I have the same complaint with this one as I do other "open-world" shooters, and here's why. All too often I would stealthily approach an encampment of enemies and take them out one by one in quite the efficient manner. Then I would stand up, stretch my legs, and- BAM, rocket launcher out of nowhere to the face. After this happened for roughly the 50th time, I gave up.

BEAT: Dragon Age Origins Awakening. I honestly have no idea why this expansion campaign to the original DA:O got such scathing reviews from some people. Yeah, the scope isn't as "epic," but I consider it to be sort of the "Scouring of the Shire" to the main campaign's Lord of the Rings: A neat little coda that actually does many things better than the original game. I highly recommend it if you have it in your backlog after buying the Ultimate Edition and playing the main game.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
A few hours later from the first episode.

BEATEN: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness: Episode Two - The second episode wasn't nearly as good as the first, while it felt good being so much more powerful from my last characters experience, some of the special moves were a little too hard to pull off. I can only recommend the game as part of the whole series.

I'll tackle the next episode as soon as possible, and hopefully it will be much better.

At least it allowed me to play as everyone's favourite Penny Arcade CAD Characters.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!
I might have enjoyed the Penny Arcade games if there was a way to strip out every single word.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
And the fruit fuckers. I have no clue why they're so loving popular. I even found one as a hat in Shoot Many Robots. Is it just people going "lol, he said gently caress"?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

And the fruit fuckers. I have no clue why they're so loving popular. I even found one as a hat in Shoot Many Robots. Is it just people going "lol, he said gently caress"?

I was wondering where the hell that "joke" came from in SMR. Maybe I should read penny-arcade or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I think Penny Arcade is funny.