Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

unpurposed posted:

Post a picture so that we may laugh at the folly of Finecast.

Splitter.jpg

It opened more than that when it first happened, but as I need to use that piece on the model I'm reluctant to risk breaking it with too much pressure.

Also note the superior fine details and crisp edging which Finecast gives you, part of the superiority over pewter casting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Splitter.jpg

It opened more than that when it first happened, but as I need to use that piece on the model I'm reluctant to risk breaking it with too much pressure.

Also note the superior fine details and crisp edging which Finecast gives you, part of the superiority over pewter casting.

Didn't you just contact GW and get a new one?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
This is the new one ! Well, a month old, but it's from the replacement kit. Replacing it again is going to be an arseache as I've already cleaned all the other components and begun filling the bubbles on everything, and partially assembled the trunnions.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

This is the new one ! Well, a month old, but it's from the replacement kit. Replacing it again is going to be an arseache as I've already cleaned all the other components and begun filling the bubbles on everything, and partially assembled the trunnions.

why don't you buy some liquid green stuff - only £2.30 for a pot

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

WINNERSH TRIANGLE posted:

"Hey, sorry about the holes in your brand new shoes, but if you buy our Patch Kit, you'll be as good as new!"

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

WINNERSH TRIANGLE posted:

Why don't you buy some punctuation?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Why don't you buy some punctuation?
You can buy punctuation? :aaaaa: I'd like a 12-pack, for random stupid people on the internet.
And Liquid Green Stuff is awesome when you don't have to deal with GW's lovely minis.

VVV: Can't be arsed. Besides, I'm mainly using it for filling gaps in boardgame minis and it's enough for me.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 3, 2012

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
Liquid green stuff just appears to be watered down squadron green/white putty, which I've been using for years.
(You can get a giant tube of squadron putty for $5)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Manifest posted:

Liquid green stuff just appears to be watered down squadron green/white putty, which I've been using for years.
(You can get a giant tube of squadron putty for $5)

Speaking of which, I've been wanting to ask if anyone has tried to make their own liquid green stuff?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Splitter.jpg

I honestly can't even tell what I'm looking at, but if it's radially symmetrical, maybe you can use that mouthguard molding material the kids love in here as a mold with regular greenstuff. Mold an intact side, and then smush the poo poo side into it.

I sympathize, RJS. I never had anything that bad, but I bought FW's huron blackheart, and he showed up with a crater in his foot. I showed them a picture and said 'uh guys?' and they gave me a new one. The new one had the same crater in the same spot on the same foot. I sent them another photo--of the two together, and another note to the effect of 'gee whiz--maybe look at that mold or something?' and heard nothing from them ever again.

Later, as punishment, I bought a Contemptor from them. The subtext of that order should have been abundantly clear.

Honestly, I was probably too harsh. I have maturity problems.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

krushgroove posted:

Speaking of which, I've been wanting to ask if anyone has tried to make their own liquid green stuff?

Yeah, I do it all the time.
Squadron putty on a tray, mix with water. Bam.
Squadrom comes in varying levels of grain too, get the smoothest one and it's actually better than the somewhat coarse liquid greenstuff.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I will have to try that soon!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

You don't have to return the item to have it replaced, correct? So why not show them what happened and demand a new one?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Captain Invictus posted:

You don't have to return the item to have it replaced, correct? So why not show them what happened and demand a new one?

To be honest, I'm torn on whether to get it replaced or not. On the one hand I do think it's unacceptably poo poo, but on the other it's not bad enough to be unusable.

Anyway, Here's some stuff that I failed to finish in time for last month's Oath thread.

First off, a WoC sorcerer. Unfortunately the picture has washed out the colours of his face and horns, I used the airbrush to get some nice subtle transitions on them. The picture also made his eyes look poo poo (there's a glaze of yellow for a glowing with power look). I need to learn to take better photos. Trust me though, it looks okay in person.

Overall I'm quite pleased with how he came out after initially not having a clue how I was going to do his skin.

And this one started off as a test model for Dark Angels colours and oil washing, and as it is I think he's probably the single best model I've ever painted. The armour and cloak were both shaded with oil paint (Lamp Black and Vandyke Brown respectively) after the rest of the model had been painted to completion. The cloak could have done with with some more time spent softening the oil in but that's the learning process for you.

The armour looks a bit blue where I screwed up and put too much matte varnish on with the airbrush, another, harsher lesson learnt. Thanks for the advice on trying to fix that by the way guys, reapplying glaze then matte seemed to help a bit.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
Airbrush goons, my Paasche D500 is not turning on. Any ideas about what could have gone wrong? The engine is not spinning up at all.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

!amicable posted:

Airbrush goons, my Paasche D500 is not turning on. Any ideas about what could have gone wrong? The engine is not spinning up at all.

Preface: incoming pedantry
Do you mean the airbrush motor? Motors are different from engines. :spergin:

Actual helpful words: If it's not turning on, check the power that's going into it. I hate to state the obvious, but check the plug, the outlet, try a different outlet, etc. before doing anything drastic. If it's still not working, then you may want to have someone take a look at it, unless you are keen with motor repair. In any case, I'm guessing it's an issue with power supply. Could be any number of things relating to that--without seeing it first-hand, I'm not sure a diagnosis is possible.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Sole.Sushi posted:

Preface: incoming pedantry
Do you mean the airbrush motor? Motors are different from engines. :spergin:

Actual helpful words: If it's not turning on, check the power that's going into it. I hate to state the obvious, but check the plug, the outlet, try a different outlet, etc. before doing anything drastic. If it's still not working, then you may want to have someone take a look at it, unless you are keen with motor repair. In any case, I'm guessing it's an issue with power supply. Could be any number of things relating to that--without seeing it first-hand, I'm not sure a diagnosis is possible.

I do mean the motor, sure. It's not the power source, though I did check several outlets with and without surge protectors. I can't imagine I blew anything because it was running from a surge protector and we don't really get storms or anything like that around here.

It's also maybe four months old, and I don't use it for more than 45 minutes at a time, usually turning it on and off between steps.

Refind Chaos
Sep 16, 2007

King of 'tisms mountain

!amicable posted:

I do mean the motor, sure. It's not the power source, though I did check several outlets with and without surge protectors. I can't imagine I blew anything because it was running from a surge protector and we don't really get storms or anything like that around here.

It's also maybe four months old, and I don't use it for more than 45 minutes at a time, usually turning it on and off between steps.

Sounds like something has gone horribly wrong, but unless it was something horribly cheap it should be under warranty, so maybe look into that avenue.

Disclosure: I do not nor have I ever used Airbrushes, but I've used lots of compressors and pneumatic tools and the above should still apply. Sounds like something has gone with the units power supply, or the motor itself.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Refind Chaos posted:

Sounds like something has gone horribly wrong, but unless it was something horribly cheap it should be under warranty, so maybe look into that avenue.

Disclosure: I do not nor have I ever used Airbrushes, but I've used lots of compressors and pneumatic tools and the above should still apply. Sounds like something has gone with the units power supply, or the motor itself.

Pretty much this: it should have a 1 year "from-purchase" warranty, so I'd look into taking advantage of that. If it's bad after 4 months, it's quite likely defective.

Also, I do apologize if I came off as a bit of a prick. I do find, more often than not, it's the simple fix that's often the correct one.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Sole.Sushi posted:

Pretty much this: it should have a 1 year "from-purchase" warranty, so I'd look into taking advantage of that. If it's bad after 4 months, it's quite likely defective.

Also, I do apologize if I came off as a bit of a prick. I do find, more often than not, it's the simple fix that's often the correct one.

No need to apologize, I just didn't know the jargon. It's all good.

I am pretty sure I tossed the receipt though, because I'm an idiot. I'll call em up and see what I can do about it. I was thinking I would be ok shelling out some more real life dollars to get a compressor that's "silent" with a tank attached. The D500 is pretty bare bones.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

!amicable posted:

No need to apologize, I just didn't know the jargon. It's all good.

I am pretty sure I tossed the receipt though, because I'm an idiot. I'll call em up and see what I can do about it. I was thinking I would be ok shelling out some more real life dollars to get a compressor that's "silent" with a tank attached. The D500 is pretty bare bones.

If you bought it in store, they might be willing to do an exchange without the receipt. Otherwise, yeah, a sound investment in a soundless tank/compressor is also not a bad way to go.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Did you mess with your regulator too much? If you have your regulator set too low, it might just be telling the motor, "Sup mang, I got plenty of pressure, don't bother turning on."

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
There's also the "get a 20lb tank of CO2 from a welding shop or beverage gas supplier, get a low-pressure regulator from a homebrew shop, get a 3/8" male-male pipe fitting and some teflon tape from the air tools section of home depot, and whack it all together" solution, which avoids the issue of fallible moving parts entirely. Costs about the same (total) as a good (not amazing) compressor with tank, doesn't have any of the temperature-based issues of a motor-driven compressor, doesn't need a moisture trap, is completely silent, and will probably cost you less to refill than a motor-driven one costs in electricity over the same period of time.

Obviously, this requires some basic familiarity with a wrench and mandates good ventilation in your workspace, but you should have both of those anyhow.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
More work with tanks.

Left to right:

GW Leman Russ, Trumpeter 1/35 Swedish STRV-103B "S-Tank", Bandai made 1/35 M61A5 "Semovente" MBT

Haven't got my Challenger I's yet, so I am just putting in a Leman Russ as a size comparison. The S-Tank is about the right size for a Valdor Tank Hunter, and the M61A5 will be my futuristic style Baneblade. Going to make a few different turret types for the variant styles on offer.

The M61A5 is made by Bandai by those interested. Cheaper to buy this than the Baneblade, and looks a lot more futuristic, which will go well with my army.

Anyone reckon it's worth taking sponsons on the Baneblade and variants? Just wondering if I should bother putting some together and magnetise them, or forget about it and just benefit from the extra armour instead?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Painting faces is loving awful. I've been reading some guides online but outside of poo poo loads of practice, has anyone got any major tips for it?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Paint eyes first. Use a black micron pen for pupils, or paint the eye black and put off-white dots on the sides. Never use just plain white, looks unnatural, and if you're painting eyes you might as well not half-rear end it.

Paint, wash, highlight.

I personally don't even do eyes. Huge pains in the rear end.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
I've accidentally picked up a spray can of Enamel without realizing. Can I still undercoat my stuff with it?

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Muppetjedi posted:

I've accidentally picked up a spray can of Enamel without realizing. Can I still undercoat my stuff with it?

Don't, it's hard to strip and won't hold acrylic paint very well, and is probably more likely to obscure detail.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

Paint eyes first. Use a black micron pen for pupils, or paint the eye black and put off-white dots on the sides. Never use just plain white, looks unnatural, and if you're painting eyes you might as well not half-rear end it.

Paint, wash, highlight.

I personally don't even do eyes. Huge pains in the rear end.
I'll try the eyes tomorrow or so as I'm taking a break now, but I finally managed to pluck up and work on it:

I think I'll do the eyes next, then the next highlights and then details.

e: No face detail there, will provide one with face details if I can.

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti
Anyone have a good recipe for a dark yellow? Im thinking of painting some Lamenters. One guide I saw was base white, and use the lamentors glaze. Im thinking of basing a lighter brown, then going over in a yellow.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Flipswitch posted:

*Winter lady*
What's that mini? I want to paint it.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Pierzak posted:

Rasputina from the game Malifaux.

I like her alternate sculpt a little better, but it might just be the goggles.

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
Owlbear:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Pierzak posted:

As Tendales said, it's Rasputina, the Ice Witch. Known as Tina Turner at my LGS because you take one look at her stats then turn away apparently!

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

My almost complete Blood Angels Librarian. Still have to go back over it for the highlights and fix my shaky caffiene hand messups.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
Pictures for the picture god:

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
I speed painted these as a batch over the past two nights as a bit of a fun change, quite happy by how they came out as a unit. They are a cool size as well just being a but smaller than usual GW 28mm scale and true scale not heroic scale.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The page is pretty fukken dope. Good job duders.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Hi, I'm here to ruin this page with an amateur painted Baneblade, crossposted from the 40k thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

That owlbear is tripping out hard. I'm just starting on some DnD minis now and your style is pretty inspirational for that.

• Locked thread