Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

My new black cat totally gave me a moral crisis by dragging in a mewing baby squirrel (which I thought was a premature kitten)! I rushed her to the vet ER and everything. Gladys, if you weren't so pretty I'd put you back in the storm drain where I found you!

...you adorable little purr factory, you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
My next cat will be a black one, if only to save my clothes - my white cat covers me in hair all the time!

I will call him Catman.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
Meet Midnight, AKA Kittyboo.

We found him at a barn near Altoona, PA last September when he was just a tiny kitten.

He's an expert contortionist:

And he loves to plop himself down on our computer desk when we're on the computer and slowly shove the keyboard out of the way.

He's a weird little furball. But we love him. :)

Wizard of Wang
Aug 8, 2004

Christoph posted:

My new black cat totally gave me a moral crisis by dragging in a mewing baby squirrel (which I thought was a premature kitten)! I rushed her to the vet ER and everything. Gladys, if you weren't so pretty I'd put you back in the storm drain where I found you!

...you adorable little purr factory, you.

It's only natural though for cats to be predators. I don't live in an area where I can let my cats out to roam around but I am sure if I did, I would probably get alot of gifts of dead birds and what have you.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

marshmallard posted:

My next cat will be a black one, if only to save my clothes - my white cat covers me in hair all the time!

I will call him Catman.

Unless your entire wardrobe is black, this isn't going to work. Cats have radar for the clothing colors that contrast best with their own fur, and they will find a way to destroy every clean garment you own. (Our non-black cat is a brown-tabby-and-white bicolor and is the worst at this, because he sheds both light and dark, so nothing is safe. He also loves to sleep on clean laundry and and shelved clothes in the closet. I'm convinced he knows and feels no shame.)

For content, here's my parents' tuxedo cat, Saburo, hanging out in the dryer with clothes that didn't get unloaded quickly enough:

(Disclaimer: Nothing in there was hot enough to hurt him, and the dryer was kept closed when not in use normally, so there was no danger of Saburo getting inadvertently dried. I think he only did this twice before my mother learned to unload everything promptly, anyway, which I'm sure just led to him sleeping in the hamper instead. Cats!)

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Thaddeus, your fluff is getting out of control.

They're really not as fat as they look, Blaine is quite svelte, its just an unflattering angle.

tasukiscool
Feb 15, 2003

Voted most likely to be tied to train tracks 2007 - 2008
Slippery Tilde
I've been going through nineteen years of pictures of my kitty who passed away this year. I had forgotten how much she loved Christmas trees.

These are all from different years. Black cats really are the best cats.

VVV I fully intend to as soon as I live on my own again. In the meantime I'm getting my daily requisite dose of cat from my brother's giant monster cat.

Here he is about 3 seconds before getting hissed and swatted at by my cat. Even though she was 1/3 his size she would run him off if he got too close to her (which he did every opportunity he could).

tasukiscool fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 5, 2012

superkittenhugs
Sep 8, 2010

tasukiscool posted:

I've been going through nineteen years of pictures of my kitty who passed away this year. I had forgotten how much she loved Christmas trees.

These are all from different years. Black cats really are the best cats.

She is lovely, and I'm very sorry for your loss. Just a suggestion, but once some time has passed, it might be a good idea to think about adopting another kitty (black or otherwise). A needy animal gets a good home, and you get a friend to help you better deal with your loss. It's a win-win.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
This charming fella is almost my second cat.

He is a stray, but he comes round on an almost daily basis for food and catnip (sometimes more than once a day). He's not particularly interested in becoming a pet, he rarely hangs around longer than he needs to.

He's in much better shape than he used to be, was very ribby when he first turned up, and not at all trusting.

He gets into lots of fights and always seems to have new scabs which he will get the other half to scratch (long nails) for him.

As they're on the top of his head, he does a great impression of :catstare: while this goes on.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Doh, wrong thread. Still... meet my new tuxedo kitty!

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Aug 6, 2012

Crane
Jun 10, 2004

:chord:
Had a big black panther (Bombay built like a Maine Coon) adopted named Badboy, had him for 20 years. Was hit by a car and left in a ditch for 2 days before he crawled home, bit by rattlesnakes twice and just walked around with a swelled leg like nothing was wrong, fought off ANOTHER rattlesnake defending my little brother, got squished in a garage door (the top, he liked to sleep on our ragtop jeep roof and jump off onto the door as we drove off). Should've been an inside cat but was indestructable. Would walk me to my bus stop every morning and walk me home after. After I got a car, he started walking a little girl down our street to the bus stop. We found out when she came by for a garage sale and said "Oh hey it's blackie! " and told us.

Now I have two black twins saved from a freezing crate outside in a Canadian winter. The smart sneaky graceful one is Shinobi and the boisterous loud dumb one is Ronan.
Shinobi has a food complex because of his prev starvation and guards the door to the cupboard where their food is. We caught him sleeping in the bag once or twice. If you forget to feed him on time he will overeat in panic and throw up.
Ronan has a water complex from his crate time, it was so cold their water dish froze. Now he bats water from the faucet, and sticks his hand in the water bowl to break any ice that may be there. He also has to shake the bowl of water before he drinks so he can be sure it's not frozen. We find the dish half way across the room some days. He LOVED when we got him a continuous fountain.

He puts his paw in your mouth as you sleep, it sucks.

Cat Plant
Feb 11, 2007

There used to be green cats but they turned into plants because they slept too much.

Crane posted:

He puts his paw in your mouth as you sleep, it is so drat cute I could die.

Fixed that for you.

A guy I'm seeing has a black cat named Odin who has this unblinking stare that reminds me of Arthur/Ford. Pure :catstare:

Cat Plant fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 9, 2012

TRISHY
Apr 12, 2005

Here is my ex boyfriends cat. I am looking after her until his apartment is ready..
She is a very 'special' cat and is so so so creepy. Her name is Missy.

(Sorry for the instagram photo, I had to otherwise you wouldn't see her)
This is what I fall asleep to every night. She lays on my chest and stares at me.
She also likes opening the sliding door to my bathroom and sit on the counter and watch me.

Can't wait till she goes back to my ex...

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."
My family got me a black kitty back in May for my birthday because I've always wanted one. His name is Kage and he's about 4 months old now.

Here's a picture taken shortly after I got him. We took him outside for a few minutes to get a better picture. The grass was a bit wet and he wasn't sure how to feel about this wet ground thing.

And here's a picture taken a few days ago on his tree with my sister's dog.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
This is Percy - one of my fiance's mum's cats.

He is a huge brute with big stompy paws and walks like a tiger. He gets into rooftop fights with sea gulls. He once came home with a big chunk taken out of his flesh behind his ear but it healed fine, no big deal. He has the most pathetic little squeak meow and follows his mummy around most of the time begging for tuna. For some reason chair legs get him really excited. If you play with him on the stairs he gets too excited and ends up rolling down them in an un-cat-like manner.

Percy, the idiot alpha male.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Percy has the perfect derpy :catstare:

Squidder
Mar 19, 2003

King of the Cat Tree

Oven Wrangler
Here's SBC (Small Black Cat) in all her magical glory.

And this is Jeffrey, the neighborhood cat that adopted us. He's at the vet right now getting his eye looked at, seems he got in a fight and showed up this morning all messed up. Don't worry, he's at the vet getting it taken care of. They aren't sure if he's going to loose it or not, we'll have to wait and see. He's also getting fixed and vaccinated since we're going to try to find him a proper home.
Here he is in smug handsome mode:

I won't post pictures from today, this is a happy thread.

Blinks
May 9, 2004
Just cos a rape kit came up positive, that doesn't mean she was raped!
Hi everyone,

This is my cat Arthur. He is very cool.

We got him from the RSPCA in Leicester as he was a stray. Apparently he is 3 years old, but he is small for his age. We (my finacee and I) wanted to get a cat for our new home so we checked the website and saw Arthur. He looked really scared on the photo, backed up and huddled in a corner, we instantly made our mind up that he was the cat for us. We went to the shelter to meet him and he instantly came to the window of his pen. Arthur was also the name of my late grandfather, so everything seemed to fit together :)

The RSPCA said he needed a forever home and that he needed patient owners that would allow him to come to us in his own time as he is very cautious and timid. In fact the RSPCA said that it could take up to two weeks for him to even enter the same room as us.

We picked him up on the same day as we moved house and put him in a room that is now known as 'Arthurs room'. Within 5 minutes of opening his carry basket he was being hand fed treats and purring like a tractor.

Arthur likes to sleep. A lot. And in a number of different positions...

The jog.

The lamb.

The conventional

CUTE!

Arthur doesn't like being woken up...

He even likes to sleep on me while I play video games (please excuse my hairy nipple/chest)

Arthur loves to be in peoples company, he will follow you around the house and wait outside the door when you are showering, sit by your feet when you are chilling and trip you up when you are walking up stairs. Despite saying he would need a long time just to be in the same room as you, Arthur is a very affectionate cat who loves head rubs, but don't you dare go near his tummy. That's out of bounds with the consequence of blood being drawn. He is a bit of a scaredy cat and for saying he was a stray, he doesn't have a lot of street smarts in the cat world. He's not massively nimble and agile but I love him none the less.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JlIkcN3GmM

He is my first pet and is a great pal. We have just moved to a place with a wide open space and Arthur is just getting used to going outdoors. I feel like a parent because every time he jumps on the fence, I'm scared he won't come back. I call him nightly to make sure he comes in safe, I want him to have the freedom but I'm concerned that he isn't ready for the rough and tumble cat world of adventure. What a lovely cat.

Blinks fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Aug 16, 2012

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Squidder posted:

Here's SBC (Small Black Cat) in all her magical glory.
My cat's full name is Little Black Kitty, didn't think I'd ever see similar.

Squidder
Mar 19, 2003

King of the Cat Tree

Oven Wrangler

Rusty! posted:

My cat's full name is Little Black Kitty, didn't think I'd ever see similar.

We were at a loss when it came to naming her, nothing really seemed to fit. We tried Bacon for a while, but it just didn't click. She's a giant spaz but now comes running if you yell S! Fun fact on S, she was returned to the adoption people twice before we came along because she was "too wild." She was 4 months old when we got her! What were people expecting? Needless to say, her kitten lunacy was just the thing we needed to stir things up with the older couch potatoes.

Sometimes her ears fall off

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
Ours got the name due to being a stray. Obviously she had no name, so we just referred to her with a description ("oh, the little black kitty is back" etc).

When she decided we were good full time slaves we simply shortened it to Kitty.

Blinks
May 9, 2004
Just cos a rape kit came up positive, that doesn't mean she was raped!
Crisis averted!

Blinks fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 23, 2012

theturbulentone
Aug 24, 2008
I think I might be addicted to black cats.

Meet Louis, named after the French kings, and the newest member of the family.

My mother-in-law found three 6 week old kittens locked in a shed, the tortie and tabby girls were taken home by a family friend, and we got Louis! He was checked out by the vet and is 100 in good health, and he is eating solids, and even uses the litter tray just fine.

His coat is kind of unusual, he's like a black tabby, the stripes are very dark grey and his fur closest to his skin is a dark smokey grey colour, I hope it isn't just a kitten thing and he keep the markings.

Louis's favourite thing to do is lick earlobes. He will claw his way up my body just to get some of that delicious earlobe. Not sure why, maybe it's something to do with being separated from his mother too early?

I'm ridiculously excited to find out what colour his eyes will be, they'll be changing in a week or so, I think?

You can just about make out his striping on his little pot belly in this picture.

I might have a mild obsession with kitten feet.

Bonus pic of Louis and George being sleepy friends. George is now 4 months old, and looks absolutely enormous next to Louis. They play fight and George likes to clean Louis's ears, and it only took 2 days for them to be best chums, there's still a little bit of grumbling when it comes to food, and some toys, but George is learning to share the toys, and we separated the food dishes to combat the food aggression.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Percy has the perfect derpy :catstare:

The cat equivalent of :shepface:

off_kilter
Mar 24, 2011
We have a new boy kitty, Harvey. He was abandoned by/we stole him from some meth heads that lived across the street from my husband's parents. He jumped straight into my arms from a tree by the front porch, and has remained quite affectionate, even on the long car ride home. He's about a year old, according to the neighbors. He's not fixed, his head is all scratched up from getting bapped by older cats, and I'm assuming he doesn't have his shots. So we're keeping him downstairs away from our other 2 kitties and taking him to the vet tomorrow to get chipped and vaccinated and fixed. He seems quite content to remain between my chest and the computer screen, where he has been sitting and purring for the past hour.

Lee Harvey Pawswald!

eternalbuffalo
Jun 8, 2005

Life still hard.
I worked for my local SPCA for a while and came by for a visit with the kittens because my family was pressing for me to get one. They even had one in mind - a little fluffy white thing. It immediately tried to climb up my leg and irritated me.

My eyes were drawn to a nearby bench where a little tuxedo kitten sat away from the others, playing with a little toy. He gave no fucks that I was in the room despite all the other kittens pretty much glomming onto me. This kitten....this little thing...was completely content doing his own thing and that intrigued the poo poo out of me.

I picked him up (he wasn't too impressed) and put him in my lap. He tried to get out twice but the third time he just sat there and looked at me......he clearly was like 'well, fine then, I guess I'm yours'.

Neechy ('Nietzsche')

He is my handsome man. I've never owned a cat that has been so like me personality-wise! He adores me and pretty much tolerates everyone else. Honestly, I don't even know what I'd do if he passed on. His fur smells like dust but not unpleasantly.

He is a bit special sometimes and has an addiction to my lap. I am working on trimming his claws by playing with his paws and while he seems to enjoy that....he so isn't psyched about the trimmer. Crap.

:downs:

Lovingly also known as: Neechos, Nachoes, Neechyweeps, Pinky McPinkernose, Fatty McFatterson, and the well received Neechez.

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe
I love my little black kitty. He has a little white spot in the middle of his neck and is adorable. :3:

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
My Gladys passed away yesterday. She was hit by a car during the day (by an older woman who apparently wasn't sure that she'd hit something), and a neighbor saw it happen and rushed her to the small animal clinic, where she died. I didn't see or hear it, but I'm 90% certain she was following me while I walked down the street given the time frame. I'm so happy he was there and was an animal lover and a good person. She didn't die alone; he held her the whole time.

I only knew her for three months, but I've never meshed with a living organism so well in my life.

My fiancee, my other cat, and I are pretty broken up about it. Every room in the house holds memories. She'd burst into the bathroom when I was using it, she'd lay on my feet while I was doing dishes...

Anyway, I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for a thank-you gift for my neighbor. Since he never got to know her, I was thinking of putting together some photos and just writing a letter (I spent the last of what little money I had getting Gladys vaccinated and such). Thoughts?

Also: squeeze your cats extra hard for Gladys. She loved love.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm sorry for your loss, Christoph. I think a thank-you gift of pictures and a letter would be very appropriate -- barring that, homemade baked goods always go over well.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Really try to get across how much the neighbor's actions meant to Gladys and your family, and maybe a bit about what kind of cat Gladys was.

So sorry :(

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
Thank you for the condolences. I took some flowers (she loved digging up my garden), wrapped them in her collar and put them at the intersection. She'll also be getting a memorial somehow, somewhere. Possibly stone, possibly in the form of a tattoo.

After knowing Gladys, I highly recommend the American Bombay breed (lanky, black with discolorations, yellow eyes) which it appears many of you have. My Atlas for the Catless points to Bombay, because they're loyal, gentle, loving, and totally obsessed with you in all the best ways.

But think twice before waking them up

superkittenhugs
Sep 8, 2010

Christoph posted:

Thank you for the condolences. I took some flowers (she loved digging up my garden), wrapped them in her collar and put them at the intersection. She'll also be getting a memorial somehow, somewhere. Possibly stone, possibly in the form of a tattoo.

Just wanted to offer my condolences as well. I know exactly what you mean about never having meshed with anything so well; I feel exactly the same way about my little bug. If I had only gotten to have her in my life for a few months...well, I just can't imagine the sadness of it. I'll definitely be keeping you and your family (as well as your wonderful neighbor) in my thoughts for the foreseeable future.

Cat Plant
Feb 11, 2007

There used to be green cats but they turned into plants because they slept too much.
I think your idea of a letter and photos would definitely show how much you appreciate their efforts. So so sorry for your loss :(:.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
My death beast, Talbot, is a British Bombay and he is overly affectionate and lives to snuggle. Black cats are the best cats. :radcat:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Click for big.

One day, Tia-cat went outside to have an adventure in the garden.

She walked over the wooden beams.

She is shaped exactly like a large black pear.

A large black pear with not just one but two enormous wibbly wobbly belly flaps.

And sometimes, she gets an idea into her tiny little walnut brain.

What do you want, kitty?

It's about this point that she decided to switch off the laws of physics for a few moments.

She jumped up, clung on for a moment, and then just walked vertically up the side of the tree :cool:

Of course once she got up there the light was all wrong and she became a Big Black Blob.

And then she came down! What a clever cat.

Stripper Nipple Tassel
Oct 22, 2004

keep your eyes on the road you dumb shark
So I had a friend tell me that I should post this in PI, but I didn't want to make a thread so I'll inflict my buddies on this black cat thread.

About a year ago now, a friend and I found a couple of probably 5-6 week old kittens that were abandoned down by the banks of the river I live near with a pile of adult cat food that was far too big for them to crunch and eat.

The next day, a couple of guys who were pulling scrap metal out of the bank (the river was especially low at the time) found another kitten that followed them around meowing for dear life. I happened to meet them right near where I found the first two and asked them if I could take him, unfortunately I can't find any pictures of him as a kitten because I probably didn't take them, I dunno, I don't take a lot of pictures. They were so flea-bitten that their gums and tongue were whiter than their little teeth. We gave them a lemon dawn flea bath and started feeding them wet cat food and some evaporated milk with kitten crunchies.

At first, I looked for homes for them because I didn't really want another animal and found 2 families willing to take them. The people who chose the grey kitten came through and he's living a happy life with 2 little kids that absolutely adore him. The other two, the black and white butler cats, weren't so lucky. The people who were going to take them decided that they didn't want to get some cats just before moving out of state.

By the time I finally found someone who wanted the 2 kittens, I had already named the little fuckers and had become attached. My dog absolutely loved them too. Maybe too much, when they were little I caught them trying to nurse off of her several times.

So here they are a year later, two happy outdoor killing machines.

Oswald named for the Penguin from Batman, because he was an ugly fat little black and white cat that someone abandoned

you wish you could be this comfortable. Ozzy is a lazy, skittish cat that only likes to be patted when he wants it, but absolutely loves laser toys

and Benson named because that sounds like a name for a butler, come on.

Benson is a stone-cold killer. He brought a duck home. Seriously, I wish I'd had the presence of mind to take a picture of it. The duck was bigger than him, completely freaked out and aside from a little blood where Benson carried him home, completely fine. Also he enjoys eating the heads off of squirrels and leaving dead blue jays under my car.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mr. Fluffer in a tree like a boss. He's one of those supersweet guys who will tell you it's time to pet him now.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

mllaneza posted:

Mr. Fluffer in a tree like a boss. He's one of those supersweet guys who will tell you it's time to pet him now.

What a cat. :3: Why yes I want to pet you.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

mllaneza posted:

A fine looking gentleman.

the fart question fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Sep 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFp7V2S5mlo

Poor Zorro! His mouse won't come out from under the chaise lounge so he can kill it!