Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Yeah, as much as I hate her costume, she isn't that bad of a character. Kind of like a female Joe, if Joe wasn't nearly as cool. I eventually got to the point where the only events available were her and Keita. Hinako's a lost cause, but I will not Fate with loving Keita. A shame you're forced to get him to 1, from what I remember. The real shame is I somehow have Joe at level 4, even though I talked to him at drat near every opportunity.

Also, That detective and Io are both dead, I assume it's because I didn't talk to them enough. Sure as hell wasn't expecting either of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Tagging the streets and humming the bassline.
So I grabbed Persona 2 during the Atlus sale on PSN. Is there any trick to getting tarot cards fast or is it just do a ton of talking to enemies?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

JetGrind posted:

So I grabbed Persona 2 during the Atlus sale on PSN. Is there any trick to getting tarot cards fast or is it just do a ton of talking to enemies?

Don't worry too much about it at the beginning of the game basically, higher level enemies give a lot more cards and you can go pretty far with just the starting personas; spell costs ramp up so fast that stuff like Maya's 3 or 4 SP Media are great.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Easiest way is to farm free tarots from contracted demons to make them into anything you need. You still have to talk to them so keep mashing X.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Honestly with Persona 2 you can just coast on whatever personas the plot gives you (the starters specifically last way longer than they should) along with a few that have specific spells (like garu) to gain access to fusions. Don't sweat it too much unless there's someone you really want.

Also if the P4A stuff from the last page is true that's the best thing. Nyarlathotep tying back into the plot and linking the games is awesome. Now we just need the Satomi Tadashi theme back and we're gold.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Does anyone know the actual math behind buffs / debuffs and the X Charges in P3P? I'm playing on Hard for the first time and want to do my best here- for stuff like Tarukaja, is it worth casting on yourself and then attacking for the next turns that it's in effect, or is the net damage you do usually about the same as 4 attacks (using the turn it took to cast Tarukaja). Obviously having a support character instead of your attacker cast it makes a difference, but I'm curious as to how effective this stuff actually is. Also, as the FemC, what social stat should I max out first?

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

DeathBySpoon posted:

Does anyone know the actual math behind buffs / debuffs and the X Charges in P3P? I'm playing on Hard for the first time and want to do my best here- for stuff like Tarukaja, is it worth casting on yourself and then attacking for the next turns that it's in effect, or is the net damage you do usually about the same as 4 attacks (using the turn it took to cast Tarukaja). Obviously having a support character instead of your attacker cast it makes a difference, but I'm curious as to how effective this stuff actually is. Also, as the FemC, what social stat should I max out first?

This is kind of a bullshit answer, but buff/debuff skills have always been mad useful in SMT, especially so in P3P to my experience. Mind/Power Charge are somewhere around 2.5x or 3x depending on if the target is debuffed, and they amplify absurd amounts when the target is weak. Plus, the Charges stay active until you actually "use them up" if I recall, letting you sandbag Power Charges if you need to heal/ etc.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
So far I am REALLY enjoying P2:IS. Its weird because in P3P I felt like I had to do everything and didn't want to miss a thing, but in P2IS I am just romping through enjoying the ride.

I guess it comes down to me just really enjoying the old school JRPG aspects of it. Also this only makes me more excited to play P4 (for the first time) when it comes out on the vita. (this thread gets annoying because I can't read almost any of the spoilered parts :P)

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
Giant Bomb has a 40ish minute quick look of Persona 4: Arena with Aram Jabbari from Atlus.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
and that video is more for people who are coming to this as a continuation of Persona 4 (such as this thread probably), rather than those coming to it because it's a fighting game by Arc.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

http://www.p3m.jp/
has a video on it now, nothing really important but it's something.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Radish posted:

Also if the P4A stuff from the last page is true that's the best thing. Nyarlathotep tying back into the plot and linking the games is awesome. Now we just need the Satomi Tadashi theme back and we're gold.

This actually makes sense, especially with Philemon quietly keeping an eye on the MCs in 3 & 4. Looks like everyone is biding their time for a bigger confrontation down the line.

edit:fixed for grammar and the fact that my brain automatically types out homophones instead of what I'm trying to say.

good day for a bris fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 2, 2012

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Ibram Gaunt posted:

http://www.p3m.jp/
has a video on it now, nothing really important but it's something.

I know it's super picky but it always bugs me how P3 main holds the gun like that. Just try putting your arm and hand in that position.

Also female main is the better one but boo hoo.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

DeathBySpoon posted:

Buffs and debuffs are a 25% increase or decrease. I think Mind/Power Charge increase the damage by a little more than double.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

The Shin Megami Tensei IV website was updated with a remix of Nocturne's theme song and it is wonderful:
http://megaten4.jp/

I really, really dig these remixes and I hope it's indicative of SMTIV's music.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

TurnipFritter posted:

The Shin Megami Tensei IV website was updated with a remix of Nocturne's theme song and it is wonderful:
http://megaten4.jp/

I really, really dig these remixes and I hope it's indicative of SMTIV's music.

That's a pretty nice remix. I hope this means that the game's musical style will be similar to Nocturne. :allears:

xomocekc
Aug 1, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm really hoping SMT4 will go back to being like Nocturne. I'm not really keeping my hopes up because it's a portable game and Strange Journey was boring and had uninspired art direction while Devil Summoner is a visual novel with SRPG battles (although ever SRPG is I guess, what a dumb genre). I don't understand why their flagship title is on a portable but stupid stuff like Catherine is on the current gen consoles.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
They seem to be a lot more productive on handheld systems, so I can't really say I dislike how it's going. It doesn't seem like they're really interested in home consoles anymore.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

xomocekc posted:

while Devil Summoner is a visual novel with SRPG battles (although ever SRPG is I guess, what a dumb genre).
By that logic SMT is a visual novel with RPG battles.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Personally i wish they'd just start developing for the PC. But alas, Japan. :smith:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

xomocekc posted:

while Devil Summoner is a visual novel with SRPG battles (although ever SRPG is I guess, what a dumb genre).

Um... do you mean Devil Survivor? And this could not be more wrong.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Technique posted:

That's a pretty nice remix. I hope this means that the game's musical style will be similar to Nocturne. :allears:

Yeah, I really like it too; It definitely sounds like Nocturne, but it almost has a DDS influence at times (harsher techno like DDS2, plus that guitar at the end sounded straight off DDS1). Which if that's the style he's going for, I am mad excited.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

xomocekc posted:

I don't understand why their flagship title is on a portable but stupid stuff like Catherine is on the current gen consoles.

Because Japan now games primarily on portables. I don't understand how a jRPG fan can not know this after 5~ years of DS (and PSP) domination.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Technique posted:

Personally i wish they'd just start developing for the PC. But alas, Japan. :smith:

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/07/19/ghostlight-to-bring-console-jrpgs-to-pc/

Here's to hoping that one of the companies they're discussing with is Atlus JP.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Catalina posted:

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/07/19/ghostlight-to-bring-console-jrpgs-to-pc/

Here's to hoping that one of the companies they're discussing with is Atlus JP.

That's pretty interesting, but it still seems like kind of a pipe dream.

xomocekc
Aug 1, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Um... do you mean Devil Survivor? And this could not be more wrong.

I don't see how it couldn't be more right. You choose locations from a menu, there's huge character portraits and you select canned responses. It's a chose your own adventure book with battles.

And no, Nocturne is not a visual novel. It has cutscenes and art direction and EXPLORATION. All things Devil Survivor lacks. I honestly do not see how it is not a visual novel.

Pureauthor posted:

Because Japan now games primarily on portables. I don't understand how a jRPG fan can not know this after 5~ years of DS (and PSP) domination.

I may be a jrpg fan, but I don't care about Japan or japanese culture. If they want to sell the games here they should make them for platforms people actually own. Also note I said flagship title, even DQ10 is on a home console, and FFXIII trilogy isn't on the Vita. P3 and P4 where also home console and the crappy PSP and DS jrpgs didn't dominate poo poo (with the exception of Radiant Historia).

xomocekc fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 4, 2012

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

xomocekc posted:

If they want to sell the games here

Yeah I think it's very clear at this point we are not the primary market but just icing on the cake of whatever they bring in overseas. Persona possibly excepted.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

xomocekc posted:

I may be a jrpg fan, but I don't care about Japan or japanese culture. If they want to sell the games here they should make them for platforms people actually own.

They do. In Japan. Their primary market is Japan. If they sell them in the US, fine, but it is pretty clear that they're developing for their home country. Also at very least the DS is one of the best-selling consoles worldwide so it doesn't really make sense to pretend like people don't own it.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

xomocekc posted:

I may be a jrpg fan, but I don't care about Japan or japanese culture. If they want to sell the games here they should make them for platforms people actually own. Also note I said flagship title, even DQ10 is on a home console, and FFXIII trilogy isn't on the Vita. P3 and P4 where also home console and the crappy PSP and DS jrpgs didn't dominate poo poo (with the exception of Radiant Historia).

DS second-best selling system ever worldwide (behind PS2). And funny you can mentino DQ10 while not mentioning DQIX. (DS RPG. Best selling Dragon Quest ever, worldwide.)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

xomocekc posted:

art direction... Devil Survivor lacks
Uhm. Do you even know what art direction means? Devil Survivor has a consistent style. Maybe it's one you don't like, but it still has one.

Also Devil Survivor is a visual novel, except for the gameplay segments. Nocturne is a visual novel, except for the gameplay segments. Makes sense to me! There have been visual novels with exploration and cutscenes.

Also also, PSP and DS JRPGs have sold a shitton. If they didn't sell a shitton, they wouldn't bother making them. Them selling less well over here doesn't matter, because only Squeenix has a US market beyond a small niche of a small niche.

Not to mention some DS and PSP JRPGs have sold pretty well over here.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

xomocekc posted:

I may be a jrpg fan, but I don't care about Japan or japanese culture.

Then perhaps a series whose defining characteristic is that it takes place in modern(ish) Japan isn't right for you. I mean I don't give a gently caress about "Yosuke-senpai let's go get cabbage and squid so we can make okonomiyaki for the culture festival together!!!!" either, but come on dude.

xomocekc
Aug 1, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

TurnipFritter posted:

Then perhaps a series whose defining characteristic is that it takes place in modern(ish) Japan isn't right for you. I mean I don't give a gently caress about "Yosuke-senpai let's go get cabbage and squid so we can make okonomiyaki for the culture festival together!!!!" either, but come on dude.

Well it used to be that the defining characteristic of SMT was that it took place in post apocalyptic Tokyo teeming with demons and poo poo. Nocturne, DDS and Strange Journey are the core STM games. Persona, while really fun, panders to weaboos a lot. Devil Survivor seemed like a poor man's Persona to me, but what do I know.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I love Persona 4 to death but I really don't know why they left in honorifics. It just doesn't make sense to me and it just sounds weird in English.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
atlus went over-board after all the fanbacklash about persona 1-2, I guess.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Jimbot posted:

I love Persona 4 to death but I really don't know why they left in honorifics. It just doesn't make sense to me and it just sounds weird in English.

Because half the fanbase eats that poo poo up and the other half either doesn't care one way or the other (yo) or doesn't care enough to not buy the game because of it.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

xomocekc posted:

Well it used to be that the defining characteristic of SMT was that it took place in post apocalyptic Tokyo teeming with demons and poo poo. Nocturne, DDS and Strange Journey are the core SMT games. Persona, while really fun, panders to weaboos a lot. Devil Survivor seemed like a poor man's Persona to me, but what do I know.

Devil Survivor 1 and 2 both take place in a post apocalyptic Tokyo teeming with demons. (I guess DS1 is more set during the apocalypse, but, you know, semantics)

e:
VV Yeah, DS1 is pretty much the most SMT1-esque game to come along in a long, long time

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 4, 2012

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Sans the art , Devil Survivor 1 was pretty much exactly like the older SMT games when it comes to themes and tone.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

xomocekc posted:

Well it used to be that the defining characteristic of SMT was that it took place in post apocalyptic Tokyo teeming with demons and poo poo. Nocturne, DDS and Strange Journey are the core STM games. Persona, while really fun, panders to weaboos a lot. Devil Survivor seemed like a poor man's Persona to me, but what do I know.

DDS is not an SMT game in the way Nocturne and Strange Journey are. DDS is a spin-off like Persona, Devil Survivor and it's because of that it's allowed to be handled differently. DDS may take some cues from the main series, but it's still very much different from them in so many ways and it does not take place in Japan. I could go on for an eternity how all of these games are different from one another not only aesthetically, but mechanically too and it should be very obvious why they are.

Also, a poor man's Persona? How? The first Devil Survivor is nothing like Persona except for Japan, Teenagers, and some obvious inspiration from P3 character designs for two characters. Devil Survivor 2 I can understand a bit more, but that's from a story perspective, nothing else resembles Persona after that.

EDIT:

Jimbot posted:

Funny enough, Atlus actually doesn't do this with a lot of their other translations, so it's more than likely that they know half of their fanbase in the west for Persona are the same people who glorify Japan in the west. Also another funny thing is that Devil Summoner 2 has one instance of seeing an honorific and it's near the end of the game when Kaya is talking to Raidou and she calls him "Raidou-senpai" out of nowhere. This is not an end of a character arc thing or whatever, it's a random conversation that probably wasn't proofread since that's the only instance of it.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Aug 4, 2012

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Fungah! posted:

Because half the fanbase eats that poo poo up and the other half either doesn't care one way or the other (yo) or doesn't care enough to not buy the game because of it.

One thing I discovered about Persona 3 and 4 is that the honorifics are actually Westernized and used in a way that makes more sense to English readers. (Example: Junpei calls Yukari Yuta-tan as a nickname but in the original Japanese he calls her Yukaricchi or somesuch.)

But I'm a weird kind of fan who both eats that poo poo up (I feel it adds another layer of meaning that would be cut because there's no English alternative that expresses the sentiment as cohesively) and doesn't care that it's not completely correct. :negative:

Come to think of it, the translations of Persona 3 and 4 manage to combine two hot-button issues that get anime fans really riled up: No subtitled version, and honorifics in a dub translation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

xomocekc posted:

If they want to sell the games here they should make them for platforms people actually own. Also note I said flagship title, even DQ10 is on a home console, and FFXIII trilogy isn't on the Vita. P3 and P4 where also home console and the crappy PSP and DS jrpgs didn't dominate poo poo (with the exception of Radiant Historia).

Which type of crazy person are you, Kennedy-assassination, 9/11, or chemtrails? I know you may think that handheld consoles don't have an absolutely, insanely huge install base but this little thing over here called "reality" disagrees with you quite a bit. The DS pretty much single-handedly redefined what the video game industry could do, and while you say "even DQ10 is on a home console" I bet if SMT4 came out for the Wii like DQ10 you'd bitch about that too.