Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Awkward Davies posted:

Totally different track here.

Anyone ever used one of these?

A friend has one and might let me permanently borrow it. It's got a polaroid back and everything so it would be a very occasional thing, but. Anyone?

Pop over to the MF/LF thread. Short version: it's a rangefinder, film is $1 a pop, the lenses are pretty good, it has a leaf shutter for fast sync, and it's a little on the bulky side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Instagram glasses

:pcgaming:

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

:laffo: I hope it's a smashing success so we can get some actual useful filters implemented into other tech (google glasses and the sure to follow copycats).

I know I'd like to turn my medicore vision into superhuman poo poo with some light amplification and sharpness/digital zoom of some sort.

e: My only fear would be accidentally scanning over some QR codes in the street that trolls put up which lead to swap.avi or whatever else they may want to link people to.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

I already have my Instagram glasses, they're set to No Filter. :rimshot:

rio
Mar 20, 2008

08534 here (central NJ, so Philly or NYC are both realistically close enough to get to).

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
You can stop posting post / zip codes, folks. Thread started, look here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3499036

Thanks!

Dr. Cool
Sep 24, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

Pop over to the MF/LF thread. Short version: it's a rangefinder, film is $1 a pop, the lenses are pretty good, it has a leaf shutter for fast sync, and it's a little on the bulky side.

I've been lusting after these for some time. It's one of the only portable (barely!) medium format cameras that can utilize the full frame on polaroids--traditional polaroid backs for cameras only made a picture in a fraction of the frame.

Extremely jealous.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWw99GXBdwk

Haha, I'll admit I've done this once or twice but at least I wasn't being broadcast to the world when it happened to me.

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel
Just grabbed an eye-fi card. This thing is so cool. I've got it sending my photos directly to my phone. Now I have that much less of an excuse to use my phone to take any pictures at all.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Once, an iPad photo magazine, has failed.

This is particularly amusing to me because I suggested creating an iPad photo magazine for one of my classes a few years ago. I still think it's a great idea, properly executed.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Awkward Davies posted:

This is particularly amusing to me because I suggested creating an iPad photo magazine for one of my classes a few years ago. I still think it's a great idea, properly executed.

Before reading the article I thought you meant a magazine dedicated to using the iPad camera as a photographic tool, which would have made me really, really unsurprised that it failed.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

iPad/Tablets are definitely the future of magazines. It's rare to see magazines that aren't extremely bloated and full of gimmicks over content.

In the independent fashion magazine world I think an iPad magazine is much cooler to me than using a print on demand site just to say you're "published"

Not to mention micro-payments and subscription models actually making revenue a possibility.

The problem is that iPad magazines usually are like 500mb filled with useless embedded videos and bloat. Give me great longform articles and great photography and I'm happy, you can easily do that in files under 30mb.

Apple need to relax their idiotic standards of nudity and go with an age control system in the purchasing structure but that's a different argument.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I don't see why tablet magazines are the future, it seems much more likely for the magazine/periodical format to fade altogether and for the web 1.0 'portal' to make a comeback.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Reichstag posted:

I don't see why tablet magazines are the future, it seems much more likely for the magazine/periodical format to fade altogether and for the web 1.0 'portal' to make a comeback.

A periodical format still makes a lot of sense to generate revenue. Consumer mindset is still that websites = free where it's more "logical" to pay a slight amount for a digital magazine.

It is certainly an artificial format in the sense that there's no real reason to release digital content in collections any more other than to build customer expectations for new content.

I think we'll still need a period where we do try and emulate magazines digitally before completely embracing portal type sites just to work on customer expectations. micro-payments I think are by all accounts better than a pure advertising model.

I have no idea what is more effective in terms of revenue on a per month basis, content delivered every day but with a low overall peak, or a lot of downloads of a single item per month/week.

So yeah, just to revise I suppose that I think tablets are important for the near-future of magazines as it'll help them convert their brands into wholly digital ones gradually.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

This is a hilarious Metro Times piece where they ask the question "What if other Olympic sports were photographed like beach volleyball?"

http://www.metro.us/newyork/sports/article/1148979--what-if-every-olympic-sport-was-photographed-like-beach-volleyball

Men's Diving:

Men's Wrestling:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I am now a Published Photographer. I entered a local newspaper's photo contest and placed in two out of the three categories (first in one, second in another). My photos don't look so good halftoned, but I get to go to a reception and see them hung on a wall in a restaurant, not to mention the $325 in cash and gift certificates and custom framed prints of each.

http://www.pacificsun.com/photo_contest/photo2012/index.php

(I'm Devin Wilson in the results page above).

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Nice man. Congrats!

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I've been really impressed with the British Journal of Photography's iPad periodical, it comes out quarterly and has tons of content, pretty reasonable price too (but does suffer from the 500mb files sizes).

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm going up to Minneapolis for a week starting on Sunday and don't know the area at all and am just showing up with my cameras and film to hang out. Any photo bros wanna hang so I can see the beautiful sights? :snoop:

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

QPZIL posted:

I'm going up to Minneapolis for a week starting on Sunday and don't know the area at all and am just showing up with my cameras and film to hang out. Any photo bros wanna hang so I can see the beautiful sights? :snoop:

I'm not in Minneapolis but go to the Minneapolis Sculpture Garden so you can pretend to be holding a 30-foot cherry.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

MrBlandAverage posted:

I'm not in Minneapolis but go to the Minneapolis Sculpture Garden so you can pretend to be holding a 30-foot cherry.

This is a thing you can bet I will do.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Awkward Davies posted:

Here's why it didn't work:

Back in September Raw File spoke to Once about their model, which was underlined by their strict determination to pay photographers and writers for all the content they published.

Sadly, the magazines that succeed are going to be the ones that just take free submissions from the thousands of people willing to submit. There are so many digital information sources that make money off of peoples' desire to just have their work published anywhere for any reason.

Businesses have been way too successful at convincing people, artists especially, that the first step in a career is working for free. Outside of a few rare and unlikely exceptions, free work is never, ever going to lead to paid work, but you'll never get the community as a whole to realize this.

Good on them for sticking to their principles even if it meant folding.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I don't think their conviction to pay for content was the biggest reason they failed. There are niche media products that succeed because they have the proper marketing and target reach. Before this article, I had never heard of Once. And I am constantly looking for new places to consume photographs. The publishing business is a tough one because it's an extraneous entertainment expense.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Back from Albania and got most of the pictures played with. I'll link the flickr album in a few days.

If you haven't heard of it, the dollar goes a long way and they love Americans.

They are also the most dangerous mafia in the world.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Here's why it didn't work:

Back in September Raw File spoke to Once about their model, which was underlined by their strict determination to pay photographers and writers for all the content they published.

Sadly, the magazines that succeed are going to be the ones that just take free submissions from the thousands of people willing to submit. There are so many digital information sources that make money off of peoples' desire to just have their work published anywhere for any reason.

Businesses have been way too successful at convincing people, artists especially, that the first step in a career is working for free. Outside of a few rare and unlikely exceptions, free work is never, ever going to lead to paid work, but you'll never get the community as a whole to realize this.

Good on them for sticking to their principles even if it meant folding.

A lot of places are even moving to paid submissions.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Paragon8 posted:

A lot of places are even moving to paid submissions.

You mean like, you pay money to submit your stuff to them?

I understand that the magazine industry is suffering a lot these days as a whole, and that it's becoming increasingly hard to pay contributors even if you want to, but that is some raw bullshit.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
In another thread, the app, DSLR Remote was mentioned. It's buggy, doesn't work great with my 5DIII, but it's cool as hell.

DSLR Remote App by torgeaux, on Flickr

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

SoundMonkey posted:

You mean like, you pay money to submit your stuff to them?

I understand that the magazine industry is suffering a lot these days as a whole, and that it's becoming increasingly hard to pay contributors even if you want to, but that is some raw bullshit.

I'm sort of in two minds about it. Like there's some great sites that have amazing content that's pay to submit. It's like around six bucks or so. I imagine it helps them avoid absolutely terrible people constantly bombarding them with submissions but then you get into the issue of it being just a disingenuous revenue source for some publications.

But then I stop and think about how much I invest in editorials in terms of studio hire, my total equipment costs and the time and effort in securing creative teams and negotiating with agencies if I'm allowed to submit pictures of their models to middling magazines.

So at the end of the day I don't mind donating to some blogs and such (fashiongonerogue just had an indiegogo and with how much I go to that site I figure I owe them) but I resent having to pay to have my work just go to an email box with no idea if it even gets looked at.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Paragon8 posted:

I'm sort of in two minds about it. Like there's some great sites that have amazing content that's pay to submit. It's like around six bucks or so. I imagine it helps them avoid absolutely terrible people constantly bombarding them with submissions but then you get into the issue of it being just a disingenuous revenue source for some publications.

But then I stop and think about how much I invest in editorials in terms of studio hire, my total equipment costs and the time and effort in securing creative teams and negotiating with agencies if I'm allowed to submit pictures of their models to middling magazines.

So at the end of the day I don't mind donating to some blogs and such (fashiongonerogue just had an indiegogo and with how much I go to that site I figure I owe them) but I resent having to pay to have my work just go to an email box with no idea if it even gets looked at.

Yeah, I understand where they're coming from, but even if there are hundreds of people submitting total bullshit, it shouldn't take even a single dude that long to toss out 90% of it and have a shortlist of semi-decent material to choose from. It is, on the other hand, a GREAT excuse for another revenue stream.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
e: I should learn to read

squidflakes fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 6, 2012

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-08-07/steve-parish-loses-camera-equipment/4182552

Here's a tip, don't leave $200k worth of gear in your car over-night while parked in a suburban street.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
How can you not have any insurance whatsoever on that much equipment?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Unluckiest guy ever or some sort of con?
Seems weird that a pro wouldn't have insurance.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

ash with a five posted:

stupidest guy ever

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
I read this amazing article on forgetfulness and the art of frying your baby in a hot car. It's completely unrelated so don't jump on me.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/27/AR2009022701549.html

But there's a couple passages in there that really taught me something about forgetfulness. I tend to be fastidious about my belongings. I rearrange them constantly to make sure I still have them (it might even appear I have OCD; I might even have OCD). But the one thing I've learnt over like twenty years that fastidiousness isn't quite enough. So I stopped mocking it (forgetfulness), the same way you stop mocking suicide when your sister tries it and you find her bleeding out in a tub. It happens.

And then I read that article and now I've a tattoo on my lobes of just what forgetfulness can lead to and how hard it is to stymie. And Gene Weingarten describes it so well.

In addition, just imagine how much insurance would cost for $200,000 of camera equipment (especially one that covers negligence like leaving it all in a car), and why does he have camera equipment worth $200,000, has anyone even looked at his photos? Also, check it out, he just sold the rights of all his photos by the look of it on his website.

So basically his life is over, and he forgot and left his baby in the car.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Spedman posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-08-07/steve-parish-loses-camera-equipment/4182552

Here's a tip, don't leave $200k worth of gear in your car over-night while parked in a suburban street.

Sounds like someone is in the market for a Pentax ME Super.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

ash with a five posted:

Unluckiest guy ever or some sort of con?
Seems weird that a pro wouldn't have insurance.

The only cons I can think of would be insurance fraud, and well.... that's obviously not the case.

Or it's some sort of Fargo-style kidnapping!

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Mr. Despair posted:

Sounds like someone is in the market for a Pentax ME Super.

Everyone should be in the market for a Pentax ME Super.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Spedman posted:

Steve Parish, the man without an ounce of common sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

evil_bunnY posted:

Steve Parish, the man without an ounce of common sense.

It really is hard to feel much sympathy here.

He leaves nearly a quarter of a million dollars of stuff in a car, without insurance.