Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

wolrah posted:

It's the same here in the US. Most states have a point system and almost all of them share violation information now so an infraction in another state will usually get you whatever points the violation would have earned in your own state.

In Ohio 12 points is a suspension, either 3 months or one year I don't remember. Speeding tickets are two or four points depending on how bad. Points (and the tickets themselves) fall off your record after two years.

New Jersey is slightly different, if I recall correctly, in that a set number of points fall off every year. I think that it's 2. You can also go to a defense driving course to get 2 taken off, but you can only do that once every few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

In CA speeding tickets etc are 1 point, Wreckless Driving/DUI(which will also get you a suspension on its own) are two. 3 Points in 18 months is a 12 month suspension. I actually drive like a grandma now because I got two tickets in close proximity and spent almost a year and a half not breaking any law ever(or trying anyway).

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Wolfy posted:

In CA speeding tickets etc are 1 point, Wreckless Driving/DUI(which will also get you a suspension on its own) are two. 3 Points in 18 months is a 12 month suspension. I actually drive like a grandma now because I got two tickets in close proximity and spent almost a year and a half not breaking any law ever(or trying anyway).

You'd think Wreckless Driving would be encouraged. :v:

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

John Dough posted:

The Netherlands has started using section control on the A2. Cars are photographed when passing under a portal entering the section of highway, and is photographed again exiting it. If the time in between is less than the distance divided by the maximum speed, then you have speeded and get fined.

A2 wasn't the first to get it. The (previously) 80km/h part of the A13 has it as well as well as the A12, A4 and Zeeland bridge. It is especially annoying on the A13 where speed just drops to 10kph below the limit and people feel it is now OK to keep a 2 meter distance between cars. 70kph isn't very fast but those few kilometers are still the most uncomfortable to drive in the entire country for my money.

On the A2 it is just ridiculous because it is the widest road in the country with 5 lanes each way, less than 50% filled to capacity and now limited to 100kph.

edit: Good thing is that speeding doesn't have any real consequences other than money. Anything up to a 30kph violation after correction (for inaccurate measurement, usually a few percent) or 40kph on the motorway is a administrative sanction. Cost you money but no points on your license. You could be ticketed doing 40kph over the limit twice a day and nothing would happen other than loads of fines.

NihilismNow fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jul 29, 2012

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'
I think I've discovered the reason behind the failure of public transit in the US: horrible advertising jingles.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Fragrag posted:

You'd think Wreckless Driving would be encouraged. :v:
God damnit, I make that mistake all the time.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Airconswitch posted:

I think I've discovered the reason behind the failure of public transit in the US: horrible advertising jingles.

:stare:

Why does county mass transit even need a jingle? Who thought that this was a good idea?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Airconswitch posted:

I think we need to take it upon ourselves to produce a parody of this song.

Wolfy posted:

God damnit, I make that mistake all the time.

Remind me never to ride with you!

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Airconswitch posted:

I don't think that the message you should send with any jingle is "We used a time machine to go back to 1990 and hire someone who sings the opening title songs of sitcoms."

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Cichlidae posted:

50 mil is ridiculously shallow. It's not going to be a starting point for cracks any more than the existing gaps between aggregate. As for Mass, I'm not sure. It seems they'd provide very good starters for cracks, but asphalt is going to crack anyway, and a straight line is the least harmful crack you can get.

My boss has a deep-seated hatred of reflectors, based on some test runs where, even when recessed, they all got ripped out by plows.
:colbert: not all of them. The destroyed and almost, but not entirely, non-reflective remains of some are still embedded in the Parkway http://goo.gl/maps/ftYht

Jonnty posted:

Here in the UK the real threat of getting caught speeding is not the fine but the three points you get on your license. Get 12 and you're automatically disqualified from driving for a while.
Do people destroy speed cameras there regularly or was what I saw years ago just a gallery of a few dozen isolated incidents?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

GWBBQ posted:

:colbert: not all of them. The destroyed and almost, but not entirely, non-reflective remains of some are still embedded in the Parkway http://goo.gl/maps/ftYht

He also hates centerline rumble strips, despite their proven 75:1 benefit:cost ratio. They save a tremendous number of lives every year - or they would, if we installed them.

People complain, though. They don't give a gently caress about the lives or money saved, they just hate hearing the noise when someone crosses the centerline and they'll send angry letters to the governor until the strips are removed. My boss got one too many letters/emails, and swore off them forever.

Sonnekki
Mar 14, 2010

Volmarias posted:

:stare:

Why does county mass transit even need a jingle? Who thought that this was a good idea?

The same reason why "CALL 9-1-1" in blazing yellow letters on the front of the bus is a good idea. :v:

Maybe that's an emergency feature?

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Isn't that for the driver to illuminate if the bus is hijacked?

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Isn't that for the driver to illuminate if the bus is hijacked?
Yes, it is. TwinVision/Luminator signs have an inconspicuous button component that switches the signs to say "HELP!!! // EMERGENCY // CALL 9-1-1" on the exterior (but not the interior display). It can't be reset without powering off the sign, which usually means shutting down the vehicle on something like a Gillig (the bus in that picture).

As a driver, I've had to use it before. It works really loving well in a situation where you don't have a gun to your head (IE a medical emergency where I have to administer CPR and don't have time to have a conversation with dispatch). If you do have a gun to your head, an inconspicuous emergency signal from a mobile terminal works better (as a reflection can give you away). Generic dumbass with a knife? Sign works fine.

Varance fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 2, 2012

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
What does a traffic engineer geek out about when he visits NYC?

e: already have the transit museum on my to-visit list

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

GWBBQ posted:

Do people destroy speed cameras there regularly or was what I saw years ago just a gallery of a few dozen isolated incidents?

I know what you're talking about but I've never seen a vandalised camera in reality (to the best of my knowledge.) I don't think it was ever a particularly serious problem, and I've not seen it come up in ages. But it might be that I just live in the wrong place, I dunno.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Mandalay posted:

I would get a tour of the abandoned subway tunnels.

Jonnty posted:

I know what you're talking about but I've never seen a vandalised camera in reality (to the best of my knowledge.) I don't think it was ever a particularly serious problem, and I've not seen it come up in ages. But it might be that I just live in the wrong place, I dunno.

Even in 2006 when I lived there, in France, just about every GPS set had all the speed camera locations built in. Mappy (a French map website) also gives you every camera location:

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin
There's a nice article in the WSJ today about Google Fiber, which briefly mentioned sensor-embedded pavements.

quote:

Tim Sylvester, 31 years old, founded Integrated Roadways LLC, which makes a modular pavement system for high-traffic roadways. His plan: to embed sensors in pavement slabs to capture data about potentially hazardous roadway conditions, such as cracks, potholes and traffic jams... He is hoping his company can get Fiber early because the sensors in his roads may be able to communicate with self-driving cars, a technology that Google has supported.

KDOT is doing an install of the precast patch system the week of 8/13 unless it gets rescheduled. The first two slabs will not have any sensors in them, however. Dr. Ganesh Thiagarajan will be installing a sensor-embedded bridge approach slab in Rolla, MO next month, and is working to license that technology to IR, and help develop a complimentary bridge deck system so that precast can handle the entire span.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Cichlidae posted:

I would get a tour of the abandoned subway tunnels.

Even in 2006 when I lived there, in France, just about every GPS set had all the speed camera locations built in. Mappy (a French map website) also gives you every camera location:

Yeah we have that here too - I don't know how popular they are now or whether they're still legal but we also had speed camera detectors which I think detected the radar they used in advance. Interestingly, as far as I know they're actually illegal in France.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Jonnty posted:

Yeah we have that here too - I don't know how popular they are now or whether they're still legal but we also had speed camera detectors which I think detected the radar they used in advance. Interestingly, as far as I know they're actually illegal in France.

Illegal to the point where companies like TomTom had to release a patch to remove this information from their navigation sets for people in other countries who were planning to go to France. I believe the fine was something ridiculous like €1500.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Chaos Motor posted:

There's a nice article in the WSJ today about Google Fiber, which briefly mentioned sensor-embedded pavements.

KDOT is doing an install of the precast patch system the week of 8/13 unless it gets rescheduled. The first two slabs will not have any sensors in them, however. Dr. Ganesh Thiagarajan will be installing a sensor-embedded bridge approach slab in Rolla, MO next month, and is working to license that technology to IR, and help develop a complimentary bridge deck system so that precast can handle the entire span.

I am looking forward to this! How does the fiber interact with the concrete, exactly? How can it detect cracks aside from being severed?

Jonnty posted:

Didn't stop my boss, but then again, he habitually drove 186kph (electronically limited) even on two-lane rural roads.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Cichlidae posted:

Didn't stop my boss, but then again, he habitually drove 186kph (electronically limited) even on two-lane rural roads.
Is that a benefit of knowing precisely which roads had legally researched speeds limits, and which tickets could easily be thrown out of court?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

grover posted:

Is that a benefit of knowing precisely which roads had legally researched speeds limits, and which tickets could easily be thrown out of court?

He's a construction engineer, not a traffic engineer, so it wasn't so much legal knowledge as driving on very low-volume roads. He didn't even care so much about the automated speed cameras (or, as he called them, les Flash). You see, he'd moved a few months prior, and hadn't officially changed his address. His previous concierge forwarded all of his important mail, and tickets were promptly returned.

Probably not an effective long-term strategy, but he was fearless for as long as I knew him. Lives in Tahiti now, that lucky SOB.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Why does this little pseudo-exit exist?

http://goo.gl/maps/yE7Gv (it's the second driving directions option, northbound)

Exit 4A is signed as being for I-195, yet exits I-95 in the middle of the I-395 interchange. It then merges back with I-95, and exits for I-195 again. Is it just to reduce the number of cars that merge, or is that a silly thing?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

BonzoESC posted:

Why does this little pseudo-exit exist?

http://goo.gl/maps/yE7Gv (it's the second driving directions option, northbound)

Exit 4A is signed as being for I-195, yet exits I-95 in the middle of the I-395 interchange. It then merges back with I-95, and exits for I-195 again. Is it just to reduce the number of cars that merge, or is that a silly thing?

Let's say you're getting off at the next exit, I-195. It looks like it's less than half a mile up from the I-395 on-ramp. Would you rather try to look back over your shoulder and merge across three lanes of entering traffic, or skip the weave? If you're coming from I-395 and want to stay on I-95, would you rather have to move over a lane, or just stay put?

The extra ramp dramatically reduces two weaving conflicts, and that's why it's there.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Its there so that exiting traffic doesn't have to cross the two extra NB lanes that are added on after the interchange. It's basically a semi-compressed basketweave where traffic separation is enforced by signposting and surface marking after the 395 merge.

efb

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin

Cichlidae posted:

I am looking forward to this! How does the fiber interact with the concrete, exactly? How can it detect cracks aside from being severed?

You and me both, buddy! The fiber is just the backbone, there's a wireless link in the slab that comms to the wireless link on the pole that connects to the fiber. When you've got two slabs it's no big deal to constantly be pushing a datastream but when you're dealing with three lanes with 660 slabs per lane per mile all constantly generating data, you're starting to get into major backhaul territory which is why Fiber is perfect for this.

For the actual crack etc detection it's triaxial strain gauges, basically three dimensional vibrating wire strain gauges set orthagonal to one another. Nice thing about those is that (theoretically, we aren't to implementation yet) you can measure deflection, pothole & crack formation, pavement condition, traffic loading, and vehicle speed, all derived from the same dataset provided by the sensor, so it's an obvious choice for phase 1.

Just sat down with KDOT this morning and we're set for an 8/18 install, assuming that the producer runs them 8/13 as scheduled. We'll be meeting the producer Monday to square away the final details on that end.

edit: Now, actually, RocTest makes a fiber mesh you can place under the slab, and it detects cracking & pot holing by looking at the change in phase-angle of the transient signal - basically, when you run over the slab, it presses on the fiber, which changes the shape of the fiber, which introduces a phase-delay (think water going through a bend in the pipe, which causes turbulence), and you can measure that phase delay by the change in phase angle between the emitted and the received signal. Got all that? Phew! Engineering! tl;dr - Rainbows, how do they work?

Chaos Motor fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 3, 2012

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Cichlidae posted:

Let's say you're getting off at the next exit, I-195. It looks like it's less than half a mile up from the I-395 on-ramp. Would you rather try to look back over your shoulder and merge across three lanes of entering traffic, or skip the weave? If you're coming from I-395 and want to stay on I-95, would you rather have to move over a lane, or just stay put?

The extra ramp dramatically reduces two weaving conflicts, and that's why it's there.
Do you think people actually use this?

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

Can you use the standard sensor package in a slab in lieu of a loop detector, so slab #14983321-B also triggers a light cycle?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Wolfy posted:

Do you think people actually use this?

People follow the signs, and the signs tell them to exit here for I-195. I know I would use it.

One of the most important tenets of traffic engineering: don't give drivers choices. Tell them exactly where they need to go.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Mandalay posted:

Check out the bike lanes. NYC has installed over 200 miles of bikes lanes over the last few years, including some separated facilities which is the newest trend. I'm skeptical that it's really worth the investment for a relatively miniscule percentage of the traveling public in many cases. But NY has done a lot of them. (PDF with some pics)

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

t_violet posted:

Check out the bike lanes. NYC has installed over 200 miles of bikes lanes over the last few years, including some separated facilities which is the newest trend. I'm skeptical that it's really worth the investment for a relatively miniscule percentage of the traveling public in many cases. But NY has done a lot of them. (PDF with some pics)
I think in a city where, you do have a lot of cyclists and also tons of cars, you have to do more to protect cyclists. Obviously that's really a thing for a place like New York or Portland, but it's a pretty awesome setup.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

t_violet posted:

In my experience, the way they've implemented the bike lanes on the avenues hasn't made an impact on traffic congestion,but has made it slightly easier to find a parking spot.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

I like how it's apparently necessary to put up a separate "no cars" sign below the "Bike path" one.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

John Dough posted:

I like how it's apparently necessary to put up a separate "no cars" sign below the "Bike path" one.

Have you ever been to NYC? I've seen people drive on the sidewalks. They're the most aggressive drivers in the US. You can bet they'll drive in the bike lanes. So what if it's separated from the travel lanes? That bike lane is 11 feet wide, and that's plenty wide for some rear end in a top hat who feels like cutting a queue.

On the other hand, putting up an extra sign for it probably won't stop someone from driving in the bike lane. I don't even know if the bikers find it comforting or feel safer.

I am glad to see that the engineers changed the signal phasing; that is a big help to both bikers (safety) and left-turning traffic (capacity), and what's more, it could negate the advantage a left-turning rear end in a top hat would find in driving in the bike lane to cut the queue.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

John Dough posted:

The bike lane is also the official left turn lane every few intersections.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Install Gentoo posted:

How does this work when not clearly marked? I've travelled to a few cities with similar and wasn't sure if I was supposed to turn from the lane I was allowed to be in, or if I was supposed to pull into the bike/HOV/bus lane to make the turn.

Echo 3
Jun 2, 2006

I have a bad feeling about this...

Install Gentoo posted:

It isn't though? The PDF clearly seems to show a separation between the bike lane and the left turn lane, with those post thingies on the line between them.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

grover posted:

How does this work when not clearly marked? I've travelled to a few cities with similar and wasn't sure if I was supposed to turn from the lane I was allowed to be in, or if I was supposed to pull into the bike/HOV/bus lane to make the turn.

It's marked quite clearly, the physical barrier goes away and a lane merges in to the bike lane:
http://goo.gl/maps/vB8dX

Echo 3 posted:

It isn't though? The PDF clearly seems to show a separation between the bike lane and the left turn lane, with those post thingies on the line between them.

At the intersections where it happens, the only "seperation" is a white line on the pavement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Install Gentoo posted:

It's marked quite clearly, the physical barrier goes away and a lane merges in to the bike lane:
http://goo.gl/maps/vB8dX
I've been in some areas where the right lane is reserved for buses & HOV, and I wasn't sure how to make a right hand turn. I figured the only safe way was to get in the bus lane, but I was worried I'd get nailed for driving illegally in the bus lane.