Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Another IZJS question: So far my party is a Hunter, Machinist, Monk, Black Mage and White Mage. What should I make Ashe? Time Mage seems like the best choice, or would Red Mage be better, or something else again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
You're a bit light on offensive magic, so Red Mage isn't a bad idea (they also get shields, which you don't have many of). I also like making Ashe an Uhlan- good physical attackers, and they also have second-level black magic. Since Ashe has both high physical and magical stats, she's well-suited to the job.

You don't have any heavy armor wearers, which may come back to bite you if you don't take one here- heavy armor boosts strength, so heavy armor characters tend to do more physical damage than light armor fighters.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I feel like you need a strong attacker. Ashe makes a great Samurai and a decent Knight.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hmm. I could use a more powerful physical attacker, I guess. I'm not going to be crippling myself without Hastega and Slowga later on?

\/\/\/ Sold!

Leovinus fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 2, 2012

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Machinist can learn Hastega and Slowga by giving the character of that class Famfrit (which is a summon you get in the storyline). And the only other class you have right now that might really want that is Monk, in which it lets them learn Dispelga and Arise.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 2, 2012

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I was browsing FF videos on Youtube and came across one that claimed there was a harder enemy than Ozma/Necron/Hades/Tantarian in FFIX. Apparently, it's the Friendly Yan. I mean, yes, the Yan on its own is the strongest random encounter in the game, but its Friendly version has superior stats to even Ozma. It counters with the strongest physical attack in the game, party-wide, presuming you can even hit it (though I guess you could try to cheese it with the 9999 damage attacks).

It'll also just straight up murder your party if you don't give it a Diamond. It is the only Friendly monster that doesn't flee when it's attacked, and you can repeat the process for infinite Rosetta Rings and 50 AP. But I assume to even beat this thing you won't need AP or Rosetta Rings anymore.

From reading the comments, I think it's not a hack and it's just present in the game. I hope it's the latter because that's kinda awesome.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
It's no hack, it's the last Friendly Monster in a sidequest. Getting to him is a bit of a chore, but it can help with fighting Ozma once the Yan's fed.

Of course, insta-9999 attacks work just as well.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Frozen_flame posted:

It's no hack, it's the last Friendly Monster in a sidequest. Getting to him is a bit of a chore, but it can help with fighting Ozma once the Yan's fed.

Of course, insta-9999 attacks work just as well.

I know all about that, I just didn't know it had stats through the roof and the strongest physical attack in the game.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
If I've never played XII, should I just skip to playing the International version or play through the original first?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The international version is, overall, a whole lot better. If you have a PS2 that can play imports get it.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
It is the definitive version I would say. If you can, absolutely play it over the original.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

Azure_Horizon posted:

I know all about that, I just didn't know it had stats through the roof and the strongest physical attack in the game.

Oh right, sorry for that then.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

How does FJF work whenever you have less than 4 people in the party?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

That only happens after you unlock the 4th class, right? You just have to make sure you don't have more than 1 of whatever classes you unlocked and the other classes go unused until you fill your party back up.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Manticore is destroying my team. :( Any tips?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Its vulnerable to Stop, if that helps.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Pollyanna posted:

What jobs do you have?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

^^^ :(

Pollyanna posted:

Depends on a lot of things, what's your team?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Well, I managed to get him down through pure damage dealing (pain in the rear end), but I'm Thief/Mystic Knight/Ninja/Chemist. I'm not too great at figuring out the synergy between these classes, but I'm doing alright so far.

edit: gently caress me I lost my save and got booted back before Archaeoaevis :shepicide:

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Aug 4, 2012

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've been on a huge Final Fantasy kick again lately. Getting a PSP and Tactics kicked it off, I think, then I dug out my old copies of VII and IX again (and got them to run on the PSP, which these days is a seriously great way to play them), and now I'm at a stage where I'm remembering how good they (almost) all were and can't decide which one to replay after VII. Even VIII. For some reason I really want to replay VIII. And it's the only one pre-XII I don't have.

In VII now I'm using the same three characters all the time changing their materia loadout as needed, which seems to work well, but I'm kinda curious how it would play if I assigned every character one classic FF class as emulated by different materia combinations. Anyone ever tried that?

I'd also like to share my favourite article series on the games. I may have done this before, in the FF megathread before this one, or if there wasn't one, then I guess I already did it towards the beginning of this one. Whatever. Good articles.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is there a good way to AP farm once you've gotten into World 2?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The basement in Bal has nothing but a statue enemy that pops up in groups of 2 and 5 that drop 4/8 AP respectively. Blue Mage can simply L5 Death them, but since you don't have one, you can instead use Gold Needles to auto-kill them.

It's a bit tedious, but it's one of the fastest ways to grind for AP, especially in World 2, and as a bonus you'll be scoring a lot of cash.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Well, I managed to get him down through pure damage dealing (pain in the rear end), but I'm Thief/Mystic Knight/Ninja/Chemist. I'm not too great at figuring out the synergy between these classes, but I'm doing alright so far.

edit: gently caress me I lost my save and got booted back before Archaeoaevis :shepicide:

Holy poo poo that team

OK, here's your synergy. Mystic Knight uses spellblades of whatever element the enemy's weak against or Drain or Flare Blade otherwise while dual-wielding swords for crazy ha-ha damage. Ninja does the same thing, only he's got Throw (nothing on your team has particularly great Magic, but that's OK. Scrolls and shuriken are still good). Chemist uses Mix to hyper-buff everyone, making your sky-high damage output crack the stratosphere and stopping like 50-75% of damage and effects. Thief doesn't get to do a ton, but check here for a list of good steals and so on.

Basically, you've got 3/4 of one of the best teams in the Fiesta, the only real weak point is your kind of low magic damage but who cares. Mute Blade and Throw can take care of Omniscient and on everything else Spellblade/Dual-Wield can just absolutely tear it to shreds e: oooh! oooh! Or you you can Mix a Bacchus' Wine or Blessed Kiss to give him Berserk and just beat him to death. Have you considered taking a run at Omega and Shinryu once you get there? Because that team can definitely take Shinryu and it's got a decent chance of killing Omega too.

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 4, 2012

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I'd like to blab on about FFV a little more as I've just completed it. Even though the main plot didn't seem to have much gravitas, there was a lot of very fun dialogue as side effect. Sage Ghido was great, responding to every single line of Butts' dialogue with snarky condescension. In fact, has their ever been a snarkier FF character? Doubtful.

Another touch which I thought was nice was that in the latter half, 3/4 of the party are female and it's alluded to I think just once. The characters all have deep, non-romantic motivations and are mostly kinda badass. There are a lot of conversations about the subject of the sexist portrayal of women in gaming happening these days so it was nice to see a game doing the right thing and not making a big deal out of it.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Idioteque Dance posted:

I'd like to blab on about FFV a little more as I've just completed it. Even though the main plot didn't seem to have much gravitas, there was a lot of very fun dialogue as side effect. Sage Ghido was great, responding to every single line of Butts' dialogue with snarky condescension. In fact, has their ever been a snarkier FF character? Doubtful.

Another touch which I thought was nice was that in the latter half, 3/4 of the party are female and it's alluded to I think just once. The characters all have deep, non-romantic motivations and are mostly kinda badass. There are a lot of conversations about the subject of the sexist portrayal of women in gaming happening these days so it was nice to see a game doing the right thing and not making a big deal out of it.

I've compared the game to a Saturday-morning cartoon before and spoiler alert, I'm doing it again. Sure, the plot's kind of shallow and mostly there to set up big cool action setpieces, but the main cast is endearing and they all get cool moments except maybe Cara. The supporting cast are all ridiculous one-note caricatures and that's great, that means they're just there to make some fun scenes with the main cast and then go away. Overall, yeah, the game's not about having some deep, self-important plot, it's about having fun with a bunch of cool characters and I'm totally OK with that

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Also has the most :black101: character death in the series. That too.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Comparing the two final fantasy games I just played/am playing right now, IV a V, IV might have a grander plot but I think I might like the tighter cast of V better. And as far as villains go, at least you see Exdeath a lot more than Golbez and from what I understand Exdeath won't be usurped by THE REAL EVIL PULLING THE STRINGS at the end.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Pureauthor posted:

Also has the most :black101: character death in the series. That too.

Gilgamesh? I enjoyed how his character played out way more than I thought I would. Being in 12,it's making me think I should play 12 IZJS next.

I feel like FFs 3-6 have been given a new life with easy emulation on mobile devices or on a GBA for example. It's not so great for a big screen anymore, but works wonderfully on a portable and being an RPG of that style, it doesn't really matter if it's on glass touch screens.

FF7 works great on the Nexus 7 too :)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I didn't really like 4 and dropped it once i hit the Magus Sisters. I tend to like the odd numbered Fantasies moreso than the evens (6 is an exception and I really did not like 8). 5, 7 and 9 just have really fun systems and characters.

Idioteque Dance posted:

FF7 works great on the Nexus 7 too :)

Say what? FF7 on Android? Hot drat, I knew there was a reason I got one. Where can I find out more about this?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 4, 2012

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Fungah! posted:

Holy poo poo that team

OK, here's your synergy. Mystic Knight uses spellblades of whatever element the enemy's weak against or Drain or Flare Blade otherwise while dual-wielding swords for crazy ha-ha damage. Ninja does the same thing, only he's got Throw (nothing on your team has particularly great Magic, but that's OK. Scrolls and shuriken are still good). Chemist uses Mix to hyper-buff everyone, making your sky-high damage output crack the stratosphere and stopping like 50-75% of damage and effects. Thief doesn't get to do a ton, but check here for a list of good steals and so on.

Basically, you've got 3/4 of one of the best teams in the Fiesta, the only real weak point is your kind of low magic damage but who cares. Mute Blade and Throw can take care of Omniscient and on everything else Spellblade/Dual-Wield can just absolutely tear it to shreds e: oooh! oooh! Or you you can Mix a Bacchus' Wine or Blessed Kiss to give him Berserk and just beat him to death. Have you considered taking a run at Omega and Shinryu once you get there? Because that team can definitely take Shinryu and it's got a decent chance of killing Omega too.

Thief isn't really going to be a superstar when it comes to damage output on bosses (therefore: give them mix for bosses to help with buffing up the mystic knight and ninja!), but steal can get you nice stuff, vigilance means you will never ever be back attacked (which is something you don't really appreciate until you go through the game without a thief), and flee means that you only have to fight the worthwhile random battles. It's actually really nice as a convenience class.

Needless to say, go for the Chicken Knife, and therefore run from anything you don't have a compelling motivation to kill, to power it up. (Thief also lets you use it safely, via Mug.)

For chemist, I found that I only wanted a handful of Dark Matters, a moderate supply of Turtle Shells, and a crapton of Dragon Fangs. (And of course a crapton of the buyable things but they're buyable.) Plan your farming accordingly.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Doesn't Throw work off your magic stat? I have it on Chemist Lenna to take advantage of her magic, but maybe that doesn't make sense.

And yes, I am really glad to have Thief Faris. Genji Gear, here I come :dance:

Doesn't Mug mean I lose out on Mix or other abilities? Or does it eventually replace Steal?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Pollyanna posted:

Doesn't Throw work off your magic stat? I have it on Chemist Lenna to take advantage of her magic, but maybe that doesn't make sense.

You always want !Mix on her instead (as !Mix isn't the Chemist's standard active ability, that's !Drink). !Mix is, far and away, the single most powerful ability in FFV.

And yeah, you definitely lucked into one of the best teams in the Fiesta. Make sure you farm lots of Turtle Shells, Dragon Fangs, and Dark Matter. :)

The FFV 4JF doc has a link to a great pictorial guide to Mixing, too.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Since I never went after them before, I think I'll tackle Omega II and Neo Shinryu as well.

I have !Mix on Thief Faris. That leaves Lenna free to use !Throw (magic stat etc.) but I'm not sure if I should replace it with one of the other skills.

edit: This guide? https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MrmmtZPyCJnRL8ecIp5LOwhDnb_9FLeFQNjOzyVI-R8/edit?pli=1 or another?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 4, 2012

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

And yes, I am really glad to have Thief Faris. Genji Gear, here I come :dance:

Doesn't Mug mean I lose out on Mix or other abilities? Or does it eventually replace Steal?

Mug is its own ability, meaning if you equip it on a thief, he'll have both Steal and Mug. It's really not worth it because 99% of the time you DON'T want to do damage to what you're stealing from.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Fister Roboto posted:

Mug is its own ability, meaning if you equip it on a thief, he'll have both Steal and Mug. It's really not worth it because 99% of the time you DON'T want to do damage to what you're stealing from.

Well, the idea would be that I could bypass the Chicken Knife's gimmick by using it...but doesn't dual-wielding it in the left hand do the same? Or am I wrong?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Well, the idea would be that I could bypass the Chicken Knife's gimmick by using it...but doesn't dual-wielding it in the left hand do the same? Or am I wrong?

You apparently need to have a Twin Lance in your right hand to make that work, but it's still probably worth it.

Basically, yeah, use Thief as a stealing engine, then give it either Mix or Spellblade as a backup ability. One thing I'd like to point out, you can farm Flame Rings in the Barrier Tower easily by stealing from the Red Dragon in the monster-in-a-box just after the one save point, then using Flee to skedaddle. Flee's also a super easy way to charge up the Chicken Knife, set your cursor to memory and make sure Flee's the last command your Thief hit, go to one of the many, many boxed monsters in the Pyramid, and hit A until the knife's at 127 attack.

And yeah, that doc's the 4JF guide. Awesome resource, use it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ugg :negative: I've been trying to steal a Twin Lance in the Bal basement but oh my god none of them ever have it. That or I'm getting frustrated and just jamming needles into them once my HP goes down.

edit: and of course right after i post this i get one :cripes:

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 4, 2012

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Pollyanna posted:

Throw's damage multiplier is based on your Magic stat only when you use it to throw Fire, Lightning, or Water Scrolls. If you're using it to throw Shurikens or other weapons, it's based off your Strength + Agility.

Pollyanna posted:

Ugg :negative: I've been trying to steal a Twin Lance in the Bal basement but oh my god none of them ever have it. That or I'm getting frustrated and just jamming needles into them once my HP goes down.

edit: and of course right after i post this i get one :cripes:

Trust me, it'll be worth the pain.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I got two of them, eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

My Lovely Horse posted:

I've been on a huge Final Fantasy kick again lately. Getting a PSP and Tactics kicked it off, I think, then I dug out my old copies of VII and IX again (and got them to run on the PSP, which these days is a seriously great way to play them), and now I'm at a stage where I'm remembering how good they (almost) all were and can't decide which one to replay after VII. Even VIII. For some reason I really want to replay VIII. And it's the only one pre-XII I don't have.

In VII now I'm using the same three characters all the time changing their materia loadout as needed, which seems to work well, but I'm kinda curious how it would play if I assigned every character one classic FF class as emulated by different materia combinations. Anyone ever tried that?

I'd also like to share my favourite article series on the games. I may have done this before, in the FF megathread before this one, or if there wasn't one, then I guess I already did it towards the beginning of this one. Whatever. Good articles.
That article series is okay... until he gets to IX, in which case I'd just rather punch the writer.