Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillerKatten
Oct 26, 2010
Tory would set the device off while trying to jump over it with a bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aciid c0d3r
Jun 21, 2008
"Shouldn't you be out mowing the lawn, or spending time with your wife?"
\
:backtowork:
That would be worth seeing.

I suppose alternatively the government could build a test reactor for a Hydrogen power plant, and then it could go horribly wrong... Conveniently while all the cameras were there.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.
I think the test ban treaty is a good thing. If we broke it probably every other nuke country would break it. It would probably kick off a whole nother round of dick waving, only this time it would be a 3 way with the Russians and Chinese and Us.

There were some pretty severe environmental effects from the massive number of tests, id rather not dump that much radiation and plutonium into the atmosphere, again.

KillerKatten
Oct 26, 2010
Noone is saying the idea is feasible, smart, environmentally friendly or sane. I'm just saying it would be awesome.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
Maybe the US, Russia and Chine could all get together to set some nukes off at once, that way there wouldn't have to be the big rivalry.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

KillerKatten posted:

I just wish the US could somehow circumvent or just give no fucks about the test ban treaty thing, and fire off one large hydrogen bomb. Just one. Think of it, with modern high def, über slow-mo cameras with ridiculous lenses you could get some amazing footage. Timing it with the ISS or some satellite overhead to stream footage (would an h-bomb be visible from space anyway? one way to find out!) or some remote drones or something flying close'ish.

You wouldn't see all that much. According to this page the last time the US did an above-ground test was 1962, and the last time anyone (China) did an above-ground test was 1980. You can still see the effects of underground tests from above ground, but it's not nearly as impressive as a big ol' mushroom cloud. There's a lot less fallout sprayed everywhere though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca4D0-s8OsI

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

A bit outside Atlanta they had a test facility with an operating and *completely unshielded* 10-megawatt nuclear reactor. It was kept on a hydraulic lift in a cooling pit, and when they wanted to zap stuff they raised the lift.

When it was operating, nothing could live within 1000' of it. The thing operated for a total of 600Mwh-hours. It killed the grass. Trees dropped their leaves and died. It didn't quite sterilize the upper layers of the soil, but all bacteria and fungal populations dropped off significantly. A human within 3000' would have taken a lethal dose of radiation.

Altogether, it zapped the surrounding area with as much radiation as a decent-size atomic bomb would have done.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

The Sedan crater was part of Plowshare and has the most incredibly :psyduck: age-of-the-atom background. During that short period where it seemed THE ATOM was the solution to all of life's problems, we decided to see if nukes would be good for mining, building canals, and other large construction efforts like creating an artificial harbor in Alaska.

What this meant is that we buried a nuke just deep enough for it's blast to lift the ground 300 feet into the air and create the largest (or most radioactive) cloud of fallout in the history of the US testing.

This is one reason why airbursts are favored over explosions at lower altitudes.

The vast majority of NTS crates come from deeper underground tests that technically did not breach the surface and looked like this

and this http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=fbaadeb434

Boomerjinks fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 3, 2012

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Phanatic posted:

A bit outside Atlanta they had a test facility with an operating and *completely unshielded* 10-megawatt nuclear reactor. It was kept on a hydraulic lift in a cooling pit, and when they wanted to zap stuff they raised the lift.

When it was operating, nothing could live within 1000' of it.

holy poo poo

Do you have any more details on this?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Smiling Jack posted:

holy poo poo

Here's a detailed government report on the aftermath: http://www.ornl.gov/info/reports/1961/3445600598663.pdf

quote:

The accumulated air dose for the entire operation between Feb. 1958 and Jul. 1960 ranged from 300 - 33,000 Sievert :stare:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Smiling Jack posted:

holy poo poo

I read about it in this:
http://www.amazon.com/Atomic-Awaken...of+Nuclear+Powe

But Googling turned up some interesting poo poo in this book, detailing the effects on plants:

http://books.google.com/books?id=YO...reactor&f=false

quote:

Note that >80% of the radiation was released at two times, and that each time it approximated irradiation from fallout in both duration and total dose. At 500 ft, the dose each time was about that of the maximum expected over 2 to 5% of the United States from a 20,000MT attack.

And this report on its effects on soil microorganisms:
http://www.ornl.gov/info/reports/1961/3445600598663.pdf

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 3, 2012

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
More
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn6N2iV2_os

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/296306.pdf pages 48-59

http://northgeorgiamountainramblings.wordpress.com/2010/04/28/when-the-cold-war-came-to-dawsonville/

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread230310/pg13
"Inside Dawson Forest; A History of the Georgia Nuclear Aircraft Laboratory" is about halfway down.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

FrozenVent posted:

Someone find an urban legend related to H-Bomb and write Mythbusters.

If the government won't let them use a nuke to blow up a crash test dummy, I am fully confident that they'll build one themselves. They've probably got a Rubbermaid bin full of plutonium somewhere in that warehouse, anyway.
Real legend: You can build a working nuclear reactor by gathering together enough radioactive material from smoke detectors, lantern mantels, radium watches and gunsights.

If a 17 year old boy scout can do it, certainly the the mythbusters can, too!

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Holy crap, I went to College and grew up right near this thing (College one county north, grew up one county south).

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

grover posted:

Real legend: You can build a working nuclear reactor by gathering together enough radioactive material from smoke detectors, lantern mantels, radium watches and gunsights.

If a 17 year old boy scout can do it, certainly the the mythbusters can, too!

Jesus Christ. He was caught trying to to this again?

Also note that David Hahn was inspired by The Golden Book of Chemistry Experiments. It was a book about chemistry written for kids, and it is simultaneously an excellent first guide for chemistry, and terrifying. It was pulled from the shelves because whoever wrote it has no concept of the word "safety." Like one of the experiments it gives to kids is how to make chlorine gas, with a note on the bottom saying "do this outside."

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Nebakenezzer posted:

Like one of the experiments it gives to kids is how to make chlorine gas, with a note on the bottom saying "do this outside."

Just had to look this up.
loving :lol::lol:

Boomerjinks fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 3, 2012

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Holy poo poo, where was this book when I was a kid? loving government! I really want to go and do some of those experiments now. Think I just might :D

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

please do

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Pretty sure one of the chapters discusses the manufacture of methamphetamine! :science:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
"A dangerous book for boys" indeed. Here's this generation of kids with hand crafted bows and arrows, while kids thirty years back had nuclear reactors.

It's those participation trophies, I tell ya.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

According to the link Boomerjinks posted, the book is now a legal download, as the copyright was not renewed.

A lot of the experiments use hydrochloric acid.

e: just beaten

e2: Oh god, they are getting kids to sniff chloroform :psyduck:

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 4, 2012

Snorkio
Aug 31, 2001

Pope John Paul Atreides the Four Hundredth

KillerKatten posted:

Noone is saying the idea is feasible, smart, environmentally friendly or sane. I'm just saying it would be awesome.

I wonder if there would be some wiggle room in the Outer Space Treaty to test nuclear explosions on other planets/asteroids?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

hah, holy poo poo, they have the kids make a loving still

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Welp, I know what I'm printing a copy of for my nephew in a couple years.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

:allears:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Please tell me they are teaching kids how to make meth precursors there. That's awesome.

e- oh, drat I can't read. Somehow black powder isn't as funny :(

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Did the first candle experiments with my daughter last night :toot:

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

The Proc posted:

Here's a detailed government report on the aftermath: http://www.ornl.gov/info/reports/1961/3445600598663.pdf

Hahaha, I'm printing this out and putting it on the break room table at my plant.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Groda posted:

Hahaha, I'm printing this out and putting it on the break room table at my plant.

I see the plant was operated by good old Union Carbide.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

FATWOLF posted:

I see the plant was operated by good old Union Carbide.

Unpublished was the report "effects of horrible poisons on lower-caste peoples"

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

mlmp08 posted:

Unpublished was the report "effects of horrible poisons on lower-caste peoples"
That's pretty much this one, too.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I was told this thread is where airplanes would be appreciated, so here's last weekend's batch from the Hillsboro air show. Advanced apologies for the crappy iPhone pics; I really need to get at least a basic point-n-click camera one of these days...

Growing up near Loring Air Force Base in Limestone, Maine ingrained an intense love of airplanes. So when I was invited by a couple friends to check out an air show in a nearby town I couldn't pass it up. Who cares if it was 90°F on a tarmac & no outside water is allowed? Let's look at some airplanes!

Oregon Air National Guard F-15's stationed in Portland.

A-10 Warthog stationed out of Kansas City. Can anybody identify the markings on the fuselage?

AV-8B Harrier II. This plane was smaller than I thought in person, but drat it was loud as gently caress during VSTOL. Also, the Marine pilots manning it were :smug: as hell.

MIG-17 "Fresco." My friend Steve was born in Russia & had a huge :dong: for this plane.

B-17 (I think from the Tillamook Air Museum). I could have gone inside but the line was really long.

HH-60M Black Hawk from the Portland ANG.

HH-65 Dolphin from the USCG 13th Division.

Douglas A-26C Invader.

Wanna put satellites in orbit? Use a MIG-21 UM.

US Army Special Forces "Golden Knights" jump team coming in (red smoke) with 2 planes circling around to help focus people's view.

USAF's Thunderbirds. My favorite part of this was how they only used 30 second music clips (apparently any longer & they'd have to start paying royalties).

Fixed the MG-21/MIG-17

Android Apocalypse fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 9, 2012

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Android Bicyclist posted:

MIG-21 "Fresco." My friend Steve was born in Russia & had a huge :dong: for this plane.

um

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

That there's a mig-17
Or is it a mig-15? (fagot) :haw:

edit: nope, mig-17, hey the same plane is on the wiki page!~

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikoyan-Gurevich_MiG-17

priznat fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 9, 2012

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
:doh: I knew I'd mess this up. I am really rusty on my airplane identification.
More air show pics. I don't know what planes these are so feel free to educate me.

P-51 Mustang (?)

SAnd some airplane art.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The pointy jet is an F-104 Starfighter, the big helicopter is a Sikorsky Skycrane.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
The first jet's a MiG-21F-13 painted in Czechoslovakian colors and the second one's an ex-RAF BAC Jet Provost. The second to last one is a (Finnish?) Fouga Magister and the last (red) one is an early version Hawker Hunter made to look like one of the Red Arrows I think but they flew Gnats so that would be wrong.

I don't know poo poo about prop airplanes.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

I actually did the first half of this under the guise of making "carbonated water" for a middle school science project. Of course, it had two 2 liter bottles, and both were capped, with the one creating the carbonated water having the tube from the first going all the way down into the water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

This is a Nanchang CJ-6, a Chinese successor to the Soviet Yak-18 trainer.