Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I didn't experience any epiphany or other nonsense, but it was drat good soup. One of the better meals I've had. The bowl I had on Friday was a lot better than today. The same lady, down to the same outfit actually, was there both days as in the article/video. She's kind of distinctive looking, one of the biggest, jowliest faces I've seen in Asia.

Best meal I had here though was a sandwich joint near my hostel. Every bite a different topping would assert itself over the others.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Aug 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Every travelfoodasia show is like that. It's easy to get away with because none of the obtunded slobs back home that comprise the audience have ever been anywhere.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Bourdain's hit and miss. I really want him to do Georgia so I can tut tut his every move.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Toussaint Louverture posted:

I didn't experience any epiphany or other nonsense, but it was drat good soup. One of the better meals I've had. The bowl I had on Friday was a lot better than today.
I can't speak for this specific experience, but with soup people it's better to go probably just after lunch time (if they open in the morning) as it takes the broth a few hours to really soak up all the flavor. Too late in the day can get a bit rich and/or poisonous. This is ancient SE Asian soup stall knowledge. You must not to share na ka.

EDIT:

Took this yesterday riding behind someone on my bike - some fantastic knockoff product copywriting there:

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Aug 5, 2012

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grab them right before they pack up so the soup is hideous and thick imo

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
If you go too late, though, you risk missing them altogether. There are a couple of lunch places near me that run out of food before noon even.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Smeef posted:

If you go too late, though, you risk missing them altogether. There are a couple of lunch places near me that run out of food before noon even.
Some places are there just for the office crowd that come by for breakfast and lunch, yeah, but most soup places (especially in real neighborhoods) should be open after lunch too - many soup places seem to open even later in the day, really. Stuff isolated around office buildings and in CBDs is a bit different, of course.

EDIT: Altered to reflect the nature of soup joints, which occupy their own space in the street food continuum. Moo ping, khao gaeng, jok and all that kind of stuff tend to open earlier and close earlier, though jok places often convert to soup joints in mid-morning.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Aug 5, 2012

kru
Oct 5, 2003

This is also true of chicken rice - later in the day the better.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug

ReindeerF posted:

Some places are there just for the office crowd that come by for breakfast and lunch, yeah, but most soup places (especially in real neighborhoods) should be open after lunch too - many soup places seem to open even later in the day, really. Stuff isolated around office buildings and in CBDs is a bit different, of course.

EDIT: Altered to reflect the nature of soup joints, which occupy their own space in the street food continuum. Moo ping, khao gaeng, jok and all that kind of stuff tend to open earlier and close earlier, though jok places often convert to soup joints in mid-morning.

A lot of the places around here (Prachachuen Road) buy a set amount of ingredients each day and when they're out, they're out. So the popular ones run out very quickly.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
Well, this is unexpected. I flew in to Bangkok last night and today I received a phone call from the office saying that one of our servers has blown up. If I can't arrange to have it fixed from here I'm going to have to head home tomorrow to sort it out :argh:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Smeef posted:

A lot of the places around here (Prachachuen Road) buy a set amount of ingredients each day and when they're out, they're out. So the popular ones run out very quickly.
Prachachuen's a weird street, though, because it's like a mullet - business up front, party in the rear. Those restaurants along there are famous and a lot of them stay open into the wee hours (less so the food stalls than the khao tom though). I actually really like eating there. On that note, have you tried this place out?

Bistro Mexicano

I was wondering if it's any good (Mexican here almost never is, sadly).

Finch! posted:

Well, this is unexpected. I flew in to Bangkok last night and today I received a phone call from the office saying that one of our servers has blown up. If I can't arrange to have it fixed from here I'm going to have to head home tomorrow to sort it out :argh:
Do you need any kind of remote access or a stable connection or something to work with? I'm happy to help if I can, though of course if you've blown a HD or something, yeah, good luck with the service company!

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

ReindeerF posted:

Do you need any kind of remote access or a stable connection or something to work with? I'm happy to help if I can, though of course if you've blown a HD or something, yeah, good luck with the service company!

Thanks, but it appears as though I can do everything I can from here (Lub D Siam Square).

I'm still not sure what the problem is, it's acting like a software configuration problem but why on earth it has decided to fail now is beyond me. It's been working fine for 18 months.

Small business. I am the computer guy/accounts guy/sometime geologist/sometime software designer/the bosses son (makes it fun when the boss gets angry). I've been working on getting everything working nicely for me to do my job remotely for months, and something completely unrelated has failed as soon as I leave :sigh:

(nerd speak: it's a firewall/gateway box running pfSense. For some reason LAN computers can't see the Internet but the firewall can see them and the servers bridged off one interface are accessible from the Internet but not the LAN. It's like NAT has decided to fail and doesn't want to come back or something. There's nothing in the states table, nor in pfTop. WTF).

Finch! fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Aug 6, 2012

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

ReindeerF posted:

On that note, have you tried this place out?

Bistro Mexicano

:ughh:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
HAB NEW MANU? I FAN LIBUNPOOD!!!

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Reduce the rectal spread!
Use glory holes instead!

An official message from the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control

The english was so good.. and then you get to the end, and it's just so disappointing.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

rhazes posted:

The english was so good.. and then you get to the end, and it's just so disappointing.
What I always find so hilarious about this is that it's not like it's isolated to obscure restaurant menus. I keep a photo album of all the stupid poo poo I've seen, much of it clearly part of signs, ad campaigns or other paid stuff that costs from hundreds to thousands to tens of thousands of dollars. Here's a country with no shortage of destitute, native English speaking teachers who would give you a hand job for beer money and these people can't be arsed to toss one of them 100 Baht to ask, "Hey does this 7 word headline look right to you?"

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Reduce the rectal spread!
Use glory holes instead!

An official message from the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control

ReindeerF posted:

What I always find so hilarious about this is that it's not like it's isolated to obscure restaurant menus. I keep a photo album of all the stupid poo poo I've seen, much of it clearly part of signs, ad campaigns or other paid stuff that costs from hundreds to thousands to tens of thousands of dollars. Here's a country with no shortage of destitute, native English speaking teachers who would give you a hand job for beer money and these people can't be arsed to toss one of them 100 Baht to ask, "Hey does this 7 word headline look right to you?"

I agree completely, pretty much all the english I saw was broken Thaiglish. Although, it may be that the English isn't even there for actual English speakers, just to impress other Thais by its presence. It was universally terrible.. not trying to be a jerk, because I've lived in big cities with lots of non-native speakers and its no problem. It just blows my mind like you said, how they can't get a native speaker to take a minute to fix it up.. I guess they don't realize how bad it is, because they've effectively never seen formal english, they just parrot what passes for English in Thailand.

It's no wonder most thai people are terrible at english.. when they're speaking english, everything is thanks ka, you want na?, check bill, you do _ already? Only those who were in international schools come close to reasonable grammar. I'm guessing the bargirls come closer to formal written english than anything the average Thai in the (normal) tourist industry can put together (which obviously aren't the international schooled elite)

The only times I was ever asked to translate or proofread were handwritten notes. One was from a guy in prison somewhere in the US who was certifiably crazy and wanted Muay Thai literature from my school and purported to be a long time practitioner/master/teacher. That was hilarious to explain.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
In my opinion you're right about the two distinct markets. The majority is for Thai consumption, so when you see some ridiculous restaurant name like Inter Dessert Society or some master-planned community named The Nature or something, that's for the Thai crowd where just having poo poo in English is already classy, but if it were correct or complex almost no one would understand it.

On the other hand, what baffles me are all the ads in airports and malls, all the government signs, all the international marketing campaigns and so on where you know it's supposed to reach the international market and you know money was spent, but it's still ridiculous. That I just cannot understand.

I'm with you, I've been asked by friends to write things a couple of times and both of them were for high ranking government officials who needed a letter written for some overseas event they were planning to attend. Other than that and my girlfriend I can't think of a time anyone's said to me, "Hey does this sound stupid?"

By the same token, imagine a US marketing firm printing a bunch of poo poo in Spanish without running it by a Spanish speaker. It's one thing to mishmash UK/US English, but to just jump into another language and start guessing is weird.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hell, every English book I've ever had in Korea was riddled with mistakes. The videos and stuff are full of it too. And this is government made/approved teaching material. They literally test on incorrect/archaic grammar and mark kids wrong if they write it correctly instead of in the Engrish approved by the education office.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
MY NAME IS!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The Thai embassy in NY had some Thaiglish signs up one time when I was in there. Mai pen rai khap.

Honestly though I didn't care. Find me another embassy staff that's helpful, smiling and friendly. I dare you.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
Well looks like the Myanmar eVisa site is no longer offline, too bad it's only the placeholder page for a standard install of a web server. 7 days should be enough if I have to get a visa through a tourist agency in Kuala Lumpur right?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

imnotinsane posted:

Well looks like the Myanmar eVisa site is no longer offline, too bad it's only the placeholder page for a standard install of a web server. 7 days should be enough if I have to get a visa through a tourist agency in Kuala Lumpur right?

Yes and use an agent. Doing it yourself is a loving nightmare.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, that sucks - could be temporary, though. Anyone running IIS these days can't be too on the ball, so check back in the morning. Still, if it remains down an agent should be able to get it done in a couple of days.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Getting a Myanmar visa in Bangkok was a breeze back in September 2011. Just goes to prove my theory: Malaysia sucks.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

eviljelly posted:

Getting a Myanmar visa in Bangkok was a breeze back in September 2011. Just goes to prove my theory: Malaysia sucks.

That's not your theory. Vietnam sucks is your theory.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

More than one country can suck!

Anyway I misstated my theory : Kuala Lumpur sucks. I apologize to the rest of Malaysia.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Anyone who has gone to Ha Long bay, how was that? How much days did you stay and I assumed you just got a packaged tour? How much per person\hotel?

Highlights and dislikes?

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
It was pretty good. I don't remember the price. I took the two day tour but if I were to go again I would take the three day tour.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
How Long? Bay

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
I guess it depends on what kind of people you get stuck on a boat with. If they're boring then the trip might be boring as well.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
Hey eviljelly you have been travelling in SEA almost a year now, did you purchase travel insurance if so how much did you spend on it. What is your weekly budget and are you getting money from the dive shop to supplement you travel?

Why the hate for KL? It's a pretty cool city, nice mix of different cultures, great food and various things happening. The only downside was it cost just as much to buy a beer in a bar in KL as it did back in Melbourne.

I would rather spend less than 7 days there but better to give my self some time for things to go wrong. Keeping an eye out on flights from KL to Burma and they are sitting at about 80 bucks so I am hoping there might be a special or a discount coming up soon.

It's getting pretty exciting with only a month and a bit to go before I get to travel again. Looking forward to escaping the cold and enjoying myself travelling around SEA. I don't know how I will adjust to normal life after I finish.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
KL's just kinda sleepy. I like it okay, don't get me wrong, and it's especially nice as a break from the utter chaos of Bangkok, but I don't think to recommend it to anyone visiting. It's in kind of a weird position as it's not the best food in Malaysia (Penang) and it's pretty lacking in history due to it being a recently concocted colonial capital and it's not as cosmopolitan as Singapore and it's not as Bohemian or fun as Bangkok, so you almost have to have a reason to go if you're not living around here. Like I said, though, I enjoy short visits.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
I like KL, but I really only visit because I have friends from high school who are living there. One is getting married next February and I'm going to the wedding, which should be pretty awesome. It's a Chinese Malaysian wedding, I'm really pissed that I missed the other guys Malay Malaysian wedding a year or two ago.

There is drat good food in KL but it's not as accessible as the good eats in Penang. No idea why that is.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
So I am flying out to Singapore on August 31st and flying out of Bangkok on September 15th. My plan is to go up the Malaysian from Singapore, Melaka, KL, Penang and then to either a Thai island or somewhere in Cambodia.

My last destination is going to be dependent on how much I like KL and Malaysia as a whole. If I am having a "meh" experience I will probably accelerate my travels and spend 4-5 days on a beach somewhere.

Regardless, if anyone is in the general area and looking for someone to do stuff with , let me know.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Cheesemaster200 posted:

So I am flying out to Singapore on August 31st and flying out of Bangkok on September 15th. My plan is to go up the Malaysian from Singapore, Melaka, KL, Penang and then to either a Thai island or somewhere in Cambodia.

My last destination is going to be dependent on how much I like KL and Malaysia as a whole. If I am having a "meh" experience I will probably accelerate my travels and spend 4-5 days on a beach somewhere.

Regardless, if anyone is in the general area and looking for someone to do stuff with , let me know.
Hit me up in either Bangkok or Cambodia if/when you're around, I'm always up to meet up with folks passing through.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

ReindeerF posted:

Hit me up in either Bangkok or Cambodia if/when you're around, I'm always up to meet up with folks passing through.

I'm only flying out of BKK, but I should be there for the better part of a day. Perhaps we could hit up some secret good place to eat which you guys are always talking about.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

imnotinsane posted:

Hey eviljelly you have been travelling in SEA almost a year now, did you purchase travel insurance if so how much did you spend on it. What is your weekly budget and are you getting money from the dive shop to supplement you travel?

I bought travel insurance through World Nomads only while I was bicycle touring. I should probably buy some dive insurance at this point but I've been too lazy to get around to it. My budget has varied from anywhere between about $100 to $250, depending on where I am and what I'm doing.

imnotinsane posted:

Why the hate for KL? It's a pretty cool city, nice mix of different cultures, great food and various things happening. The only downside was it cost just as much to buy a beer in a bar in KL as it did back in Melbourne.

Pretty much everything ReindeerF said, plus alcohol costing a fortune. I actually don't think it's an especially terrible city, but I just find it so terribly boring. I thought it was maybe because I'm just passing through so I don't know all the cool stuff to do, but I chatted with a few locals who pretty much confirmed that it's a boring place.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug
My experience in KL could be summed up as boring as well. That said, I have some good friends who like to party their dicks off, and they had a helluva time in KL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
So what do you guys generally use for SIM cards in the region and/or when traveling? I need a microSIM with data and decent international rates for Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand.