Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
magnetbox
Jun 7, 2002

I Heart Thomas and Guy-Man
Working on a Stormtalon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Quoting myself from the 40k thread:

Groetgaffel posted:

Experimenting a little with the Astrogranite texture paint for basing.
Does it look like a passable basing, or just like arse?

I might go for it regardless, since I'm lazy as gently caress and this basing job was minimum effort, but I might as well ask for opinions.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

More importantly, is that a dancing necron?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

If you paint the rim of the bases, they have a much more 'done' look. Ie:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

ijyt posted:

More importantly, is that a dancing necron?

It's probably closer to coming in for a landing, and deep strike mishap respectively.

There's also these three dudes that have yet to be based:

It's basically the result of me looting their rods of covenant to make kitbashed Crypteks, building the Praetorians without any intent to play them because I like the model, and generally goofing off with their poses.

moths posted:

If you paint the rim of the bases, they have a much more 'done' look. Ie:
The rims are painted. Painted black.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Try a contrasting colour on the base itself, and have the rim a darker shade of the texture paint.

For example, you're using sprue cuts as debris but you just slathered texture paint on them as well, where as they could have been painted as rusty iron rebar.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

I like black base rims though. :(
But I'll go see if I can't do something better looking with the bits of sprue on there.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
Groet, I think they look great.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Yeah black base rims can look great, they don't always have to be painted.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Hellbeard posted:

Pictures for the picture god:

Is that all custom green stuff sculpting?

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

Stanyer89 posted:

Is that all custom green stuff sculpting?

In a way, yes.

It's actually Green Stuff and a mix of different types of FIMO (of all things).
I think I might go back to a more Green Stuff oriented approach, seeing as how I can get more crisp details.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Gettin' work done on Space Hulk 'stealers I recently acquired for use as Yrmgarl Genestealers.

Sadly I've just got camera pics right now (and my cheap phone has a cheap camera), but I'm pretty pleased with how they're turning up. Painting these is a lot better than normal Genestealers because all the varied details make them interesting.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

I don't know how you can sculpt things like faces and such. Looks good, the magazine on the gun is a little off IMO but a whole lot better than what I could of done.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

big_g posted:

Uruk Hai

Woo. I'm not they only one to post LotR stuff now. I really like how your shields look on those. I like the overall look of the LotR figures from GW. Hooray for the Perry brothers suppose.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

magnetbox posted:

Working on a Stormtalon:

Looks great so far, but does this mean you've abandoned your awesome Imperial Fists in favor of White Scars? :qq:

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
So I'm moving out in <5 days to study in Stockholm, (I'm in Southern Sweden right now) which means I have to move in with my aunt and cousins because I can't find an apartment. Which in turn means that I have to abandon my Imperial Guard and stationary pc until I get my own place. :smith:
I haven't really worked on my IG as much as I would like but Stockholm does have some really huge gaming clubs so I need to get a place of my own asap so I can finish my drat army.

If I'll finish my army before 7th Edition it will be a miracle.

Really liking the stuff you guys post though. Especially SRM's IG guys.

Boar It fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 5, 2012

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
One more for the weekend, Reaper's Tundra Orc Sargent.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Bachtere posted:

One more for the weekend, Reaper's Tundra Orc Sargent.
I swear, if you don't post how exactly you manage to paint your minis so fast and consistently to such high level, I'm gonna come over and beat you to death with a nerf bat.

ed: I'm serious.

About the tutorial.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Cross posting from the.. take a breath... Miniature Wargaming, Indie Style: Sci-fi/Fantasy/etc. (no GW/PP/historical).. thread

enri posted:

I guess this thread is the best place to ask.. For UK gamers, where's the best place to order reaper minis from online?

Specifically this guy: http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/assassin/latest/03439

I want to use him as a mercenary halfling in my dwarf treasure hunters mordheim warband :v:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

enri posted:

Cross posting from the.. take a breath... Miniature Wargaming, Indie Style: Sci-fi/Fantasy/etc. (no GW/PP/historical).. thread

http://www.miniaturefigurines.co.uk/Home.aspx or an eBay store would be your best bet.

Adrian Finol
Sep 5, 2004
I'm painting something big.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Adrian Finol posted:

I'm painting something big.

Zog me, it... it's BOOTIFUL.

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug

Pierzak posted:

I swear, if you don't post how exactly you manage to paint your minis so fast and consistently to such high level, I'm gonna come over and beat you to death with a nerf bat.

ed: I'm serious.

Thinking about it, a lot of it is due to good brush control. I don't make too many mistakes when I paint anymore, I'm not constantly touching up edges or repainting details. Even teeth and eyes, it's pretty much "doop dot doop", and I'm done and I can move onto the next detail.

Along those same lines, I've developed a good feel for when my paints are at a good consistency, I'm not going through trial and error any more, dealing with lovely thick or lovely watered down paints and trying to make them work.

Color choice, too. I don't waste time painting with the wrong color than going back over my work and redoing everything. There were times when I was painting my goofy rear end Brett knights that I had to redo colors. Waste of time, frustrating, I probably painted my owlbear in less time than it took me to repaint half the colors on one of those horses/knights two years ago.

But a part of me likes taking longer to paint stuff. The Mid Nor stuff from a couple of months ago, I did that all in one session, from 7:30AM to about 3:00PM. They look fine, but I would have rather had worked on each mini over a couple of days.

Adrian Finol
Sep 5, 2004
Alrighty, I think I'm done.

Overall, a fun kit to put together and paint.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Crossposting from the Oath thread.

I have successfully completed painting and construction of Ariel, Liege of Sanguinius, my Librarian, and the Chapter Master of the Skulls of the Archangel.

As always, critiques and comments are greatly appreciated.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Adrian Finol posted:

Drill your barrels!

Looks good otherwise, though!

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Cross-posting from the 40k thread. I hope you guys like the way I painted my gribblies-riding-gribblies!

Musician

Icon Bearer

Herald of Khorne

Group shot

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Goons of the Fifth, you recognize me. If any man would shoot his emperor, he may do so now.
Does anyone know a good tutorial online for magnetizing infantry/tanks to do weapon swaps?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Napoleon I posted:

Does anyone know a good tutorial online for magnetizing infantry/tanks to do weapon swaps?

What army are you magnetising?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Bachtere posted:

Thinking about it, a lot of it is due to good brush control. I don't make too many mistakes when I paint anymore, I'm not constantly touching up edges or repainting details. Even teeth and eyes, it's pretty much "doop dot doop", and I'm done and I can move onto the next detail.

Along those same lines, I've developed a good feel for when my paints are at a good consistency, I'm not going through trial and error any more, dealing with lovely thick or lovely watered down paints and trying to make them work.

Color choice, too. I don't waste time painting with the wrong color than going back over my work and redoing everything. There were times when I was painting my goofy rear end Brett knights that I had to redo colors. Waste of time, frustrating, I probably painted my owlbear in less time than it took me to repaint half the colors on one of those horses/knights two years ago.

But a part of me likes taking longer to paint stuff. The Mid Nor stuff from a couple of months ago, I did that all in one session, from 7:30AM to about 3:00PM. They look fine, but I would have rather had worked on each mini over a couple of days.
So it boils down to proper attitude translating into proper painting habits? Thanks for breaking it down for me. BTW, how much experience do you have?

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

Adrian Finol posted:

Nicely done. Really dislike the exhaust stacks(?) on the back though, the way they are just flat and even on top. Whats with that?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

jadebullet posted:

Crossposting from the Oath thread.

I have successfully completed painting and construction of Ariel, Liege of Sanguinius, my Librarian, and the Chapter Master of the Skulls of the Archangel.

As always, critiques and comments are greatly appreciated.

Hi!

I think you could use a brown wash on your dude, then another pass with white and red to highlight the raised parts of the surfaces--especially parts like the top of the hood and the wings. I don't know how long you've been painting--maybe more than me, but I know that I always had this feeling of discomfort about washing a paint job that I spent a long time trying to get 'perfect', until I watched enough expert videos to understand that, when it's time to fix the little mistakes, you want to have made all the mistakes you're going to make before you correct them. A wash layer adds the shading and *also* helps clean up lines, and can be a great step between your basic coats of paint and the later coats of cleanup. So it may be uncomfortable, but it really helps clean up the model and make it look great in the end.

The freehand on the shield needs some work. Some approaches are to get permanent markers from an art store for edging/blacklining, or clamp the model down, and use a thin piece of card (or plastic) as a straight-edge for painting.

Pierzak posted:

So it boils down to proper attitude translating into proper painting habits? Thanks for breaking it down for me. BTW, how much experience do you have?

I didn't see anything in his post about attitude. It boils down to getting a tremendous amount of experience until you can paint cleanly, quickly, judge paint consistency consistently, and know color theory well enough to know you've picked the right ones before you invest time in painting something only to have to do it again.

And from the first page of his post history in this thread:

bachtere posted:

9 years now. Though there was a 2-3 year gap when I was in college that I only painted a handful of figures.

That post was from 2010, so 11 years, apparently.

He is a tremendous talent, for sure.

TheCosmicMuffet fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 6, 2012

azwethinkweizm
Jul 20, 2008
I'm hoping to add some Daemon allies to my Skulltakers CSM, and I want to use a Bloodthirster as the HQ. I'm not going to get Old Dogface (model is too dated), I can't afford the FW model, nor the FW Khorne Daemon Prince. The plastic Daemon Prince is a bit too small. The LOTR Balrog model is a possibility, although I'm entertaining the idea of using the Vampire Counts Zombie Dragon/Terrorgheist model. Perhaps move the wings to the back and add arms to the vacated sockets. Maybe/maybe not green stuff some skin over the bones.

What does everyone think of this? Has anyone seen pictures of it done? Advice would be greatly appreciated.

azwethinkweizm fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 6, 2012

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Goons of the Fifth, you recognize me. If any man would shoot his emperor, he may do so now.

ijyt posted:

What army are you magnetising?

Iron Warriors and IG.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Good lord above.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Oh.

:stare:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Welp, time to burn my paintbrushes, it's been a good run.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

That's a pretty good WIP, PV. Make sure to post up some pics when you get them finished and cleaned up, ok!

But seriously, those loving gems. I understand hwo you do them but the execution is just amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Thanks dudes. Im actually a little annoyed at the photos because the red is a little cooler toned irl. No biggy. Just FYI, I did those models as a commission, if anyone is interested click my av link

• Locked thread