Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Now I want a little Japanese man I can strap to my rear bumper for some active aero action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Devyl posted:

I'll just leave this here:

It's soo cool.
Also.

And

See More Butts
Dec 29, 2004

Devyl posted:

I'll just leave this here:

"You think this one is too small?"

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

In Canada the BRZ nav is a stock & standard Pioneer unit. I thought the USA radio was the same thing with some re-arranged buttons, but it looks like they actually built a cheap copy of it instead. That's a shame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoA35np5BXQ

Yep the optional nav unit in the AU spec BRZ is a nice top of the range Eclipse. Standard unit is just like the base Toyota double-DIN cd/USB/iPod thing.

Sounds like US BRZ buyers got a bt of a raw deal there

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
I'm sure as sales in Canada pick up (or slow down depending on your logic) we'll get the lovely US version too. The US headunit comes standard with Satellite radio also. The Canadian doesn't get that.

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

Aw what the hell. The American version is utter poo poo though, it's really slow and it can't do things like shuffle iPod playlists and it has lovely phone Bluetooth connectivity. I'd take a pioneer unit over that any day, even if it meant sacrificing satellite radio.

zorch fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 4, 2012

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
Yeah I agree with you. I just want to know if the sound has a good range to it and can handle louder music without too much distortion. I haven't had the opportunity to really test that.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

It really is that small. I'm in love.

SG-83
Sep 6, 2004

I guess it's not just a dog thing!
Hum. The wing doesn't look so bad from those angles. :shobon:

I'm not surprised that the head unit is total poo poo. I guess replacing it will just be a planned expense. I can easily live with no satellite radio if everything else will be 1000% better.

How are the speakers themselves? Are they at least passable? Those have been poo poo on pretty much every Subaru I've ever owned or been in so far.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
Music sounded pretty tinny and weak on the FRS I drove. Don't know about the BRZ.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

SG-83 posted:

How are the speakers themselves? Are they at least passable? Those have been poo poo on pretty much every Subaru I've ever owned or been in so far.

I've read about quite a few complaints about the sound/quality of the factory speakers. The stock head unit apparently defaults to the scion TC settings and changing them to FRS helps some. I haven't listened to the stereo on any test drives but I'd be happy with drat near anything since the stereo in my focus has been broken for months.

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

The speakers themselves are pretty nice if lacking in bass (there is an OEM subwoofer that fits in the trunk quite nicely which takes almost zero functional space and plugs into a preexisting port back there), the main problem is that reasonably bassy songs can cause the speaker grills to vibrate a whole lot. Figuring out a way to dampen those things is the first DIY mod on my list.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

MiniFoo posted:

It really is that small. I'm in love.

I have our Series II outside and I've driven a BRZ and I never clicked the BRZ was THAT small - Altho the BRZ did remind me a lot of the RX7 in character - gutless as a DD but brilliant when up and flying.

discstickers
Jul 29, 2004

Cat Terrist posted:

I have our Series II outside and I've driven a BRZ and I never clicked the BRZ was THAT small - Altho the BRZ did remind me a lot of the RX7 in character - gutless as a DD but brilliant when up and flying.

I DD an E39 and it didn't feel that small to me.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Went to the Scion First Drive event in Dallas on Saturday. They only had automatics and wouldn't let you touch traction control, but it was still a blast.

They had a large autocross course coned off in a parking lot and encouraged you to thrash the car. My fiance rode with me on my first run. I almost made her carsick even though I was holding back a little. She opted to watch my second run from the sideline.

I had never done any autocross before, but I had fun and didn't hit anything so hey.

They did have non-stock tires and wheels on the cars which I thought was odd. Enkei and Yokohama were big sponsors of the event, so I guess that's why. They had TRD springs and exhaust on the cars too.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Those wing mounts are so dumb.

A friend of mine got some new tires and new shocks and went to the track a week ago:

http://fecompetition.wordpress.com/2012/08/05/first-track-day-recap/

Amazing how much he cut off stock lap times.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Mach V Awesomes are great wheels. If they were a little cheaper to ship and I stopped getting lucky deals on OEM alloys I'd have a set.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Since it hasn't been posted yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVmpoT6RbHk

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/08/ttac-track-days-episode-2-scion-fr-s-vs-hyundai-genesis-coupe-2-0t-vs-mazda-mx-5/

It's track-oriented and I doubt there's any real surprises there (Spoiler: Baruth thinks the FR-S needs more power) but I hadn't heard anyone bring up concerns about the brakes before.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
That was a terrible review

Ignoring the fact that in every other comparison by Motortrend, Drive, Inside Line, etc the FR-S was judged better than the MX-5, the guy outright admits he favours the MX-5, spends almost the entire FR-S review criticising its lack of power, and yet never once mentions it in the MX-5 which is even less powerful and slower in every way?

Plus in a review apparently focused on the track, rates a better handling car (FR-S) lower than the soft, roly-poly MX-5? err.... a stock MX-5 will get its rear end handed to it by an FR-S on a track. The NA and NB Mazdas were capable track cars, the NC is soft.

Also never seen any other review of the FR-S have anything bad to say about the brakes....

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 7, 2012

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I can't take Jack Baruth seriously now that I know he sounds like that.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
I feel so much more justified in hating TTAC now that I've seen that.

Every time I make the mistake of reading an article there I find myself wondering why they even review cars when it seems like they hate them all.

Edit: Also, that track day write up on the FRS was great. Those ASTs sound like they're going to be pretty awesome.

Mat_Drinks fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 7, 2012

assfucker420
May 14, 2012

by T. Mascis
I'm actually surprised Baruth said something positive about a Japanese car (the MX-5).

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

jamal posted:

Those wing mounts are so dumb.

A friend of mine got some new tires and new shocks and went to the track a week ago:

http://fecompetition.wordpress.com/2012/08/05/first-track-day-recap/

Amazing how much he cut off stock lap times.

Bloody hell, that's amazing how the car responds to those mods :eek:

TTAC is utter poo poo, that confirms it

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cat Terrist posted:

TTAC is utter poo poo, that confirms it

No kidding. I am by no means a fanboy for any of these cars but that review was so horribly slanted right from the get go. Not even worth the time to watch it.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

IOwnCalculus posted:

No kidding. I am by no means a fanboy for any of these cars but that review was so horribly slanted right from the get go. Not even worth the time to watch it.

I was gonna say that review was poo poo, though the goon love for the Genesis and MX-5 is pretty strong. Comparing an R-spec Genesis and a bloated auto-hardtop MX-5 is not exactly fair. The R-spec is equivalent to an as-of-yet non-existant STi/TRD BRZ/FR-S, and the hardtop MX-5 should not even be in consideration. The body roll into those corners was really bad for a Miata.

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

Did they just Armond White the FR-S?

"look guise we hate the FR-S! pageviews plz"

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Accelerated Performance's turbo kit has been further tuned. Running 8psi it is getting 281hp and 225ftlbs.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

TRD kits looks pretty loving nice.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Isizzlehorn posted:

The body roll into those corners was really bad for a Miata.

I can see how that can be fun for some, but it's definitely not a reasonable point of comparison to the 86.

Yummers
Mar 5, 2011

if you like my car STEP OFF BITCH I HAVE NO TIME FOR YOU

also ask me about shapnel wounds

kimbo305 posted:

I can't take Jack Baruth seriously now that I know he sounds like that.

He's been sounding like that for some time now. He always has random negative things to say about Toyota's cars where other journalists do not. I don't think he understands Japanese motoring heritage.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Isizzlehorn posted:

The body roll into those corners was really bad for a Miata.

Miatas work really well with high ride heights and soft springs, more than most sports cars. I suspect this body roll issue is worse than its made out to be.

assfucker420
May 14, 2012

by T. Mascis

Yummers posted:

He's been sounding like that for some time now. He always has random negative things to say about Toyota's cars where other journalists do not. I don't think he understands Japanese motoring heritage.

His Supra review was literally "this car is bad because the interior looks like a Camry's."

See More Butts
Dec 29, 2004

assfucker420 posted:

His Supra review was literally "this car is bad because the interior looks like a Camry's."

Seems like sound reasoning to me, personally.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Yummers posted:

Nah, he's just a Honda fanboy. Here he is waxing poetic about the original Civic.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/02/avoidable-contact-the-end-and-the-beginning-of-great-japanese-cars/

However, he is correct in this case:

quote:

Strange, isn’t it? Ask nearly any Japanese-car enthusiast about his favorite cars or trucks, and chances are that you’ll hear the old list of Japan’s Greatest Hits. The 1989 Civic Si. The hachi-roku Corolla. Toyota’s original LS400 and the follow-up 1992 Camry that made that same build quality affordable for the masses. Mark IV Supras. Twin-turbo Zs. Mitsubishi Evolution 8 and 9. The pignose STi. Celicas of all shapes. Integra Type-R. Fifth-gen Accords. All these truly great, game-changing, world-beating Japanese cars, and almost all of them built between 1985 and 1999. Even the Skyline guys will admit that, yeah, given the choice they’d really rather have an R34 than the new car. In fact, one could argue that there’s only been one truly great, completely iconic new Japanese car built in the past decade, and it’s the friggin’ second-gen Prius.

I would suggest, instead, that the problem is a lack of authenticity and character. Virtually all the great Japanese cars mentioned above were the product of Japanese design teams designing cars for either their home market or a broadly defined “world market”. The 1983 Civic was, in many respects, a simple ripoff of the Mini Cooper, but it was clearly and thoroughly a Honda in execution, from the grinning grille to the dumpy taillights. The Celica and Supra may have been Japanese Mustangs, but they were still recognizably Japanese. Just as importantly, in the Seventies and Eighties there were clear and distinct differences between Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Mitsubishi, and Subaru. (Note that I’m leaving Mazda out of this, since they are really neither “domestic” nor “foreign”.)

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 9, 2012

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Yummers posted:

I think he means how comically nasal his voice is

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

I think he means how comically nasal his voice is

Yeah, and his dorky hand gestures. Same thing happened when I saw Wes Siler on some motorcycle review videos -- completely changes my take on them.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Cream_Filling posted:

Nah, he's just a Honda fanboy. Here he is waxing poetic about the original Civic.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/02/avoidable-contact-the-end-and-the-beginning-of-great-japanese-cars/

However, he is correct in this case:

For a site with such a vast array of utter poo poo, it's amazing they utterly nailed that so well.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
What the gently caress is with Baruth's gold jacket? Why has no one mentioned how awful it is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Dick Burglar posted:

What the gently caress is with Baruth's gold jacket? Why has no one mentioned how awful it is?

Based on his writings as a whole, it's equal parts attention getting and trolling with ironic bad fashion.

• Locked thread