Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Snollygoster posted:

If you used a projector to cast out a giant version of that gif of Michael Jackson eating popcorn in the Thriller video onto the face of the full moon, that is how I'm feeling about Treestuck getting ready to see the end of the act.

Pretty much ^this^, it's gonna be glorious. :allears: :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The experience of reading it serially has been very fun, but I've got to admit that it held up better as a story when I reread the archives a while back. I ended up enjoying every character more; for instance, I was able to see Vriska as the strong, complex, dynamic antagonist she is, rather than an irritating distraction from the heroes. It's all a matter of being receptive to the ideas on display, and that's easier to be when you've still got hundreds of pages ahead of you. The suspense is much more pleasant when you can resolve it by continuing to read, as opposed to simply waiting and hoping the next update is the one you're eager to see.

The tomfoolery of the early acts is harder to swallow when you're not watching it unfold in real-time, though. It's a trade-off.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Bongo Bill posted:

The experience of reading it serially has been very fun, but I've got to admit that it held up better as a story when I reread the archives a while back. I ended up enjoying every character more; for instance, I was able to see Vriska as the strong, complex, dynamic antagonist she is, rather than an irritating distraction from the heroes. It's all a matter of being receptive to the ideas on display, and that's easier to be when you've still got hundreds of pages ahead of you. The suspense is much more pleasant when you can resolve it by continuing to read, as opposed to simply waiting and hoping the next update is the one you're eager to see.

The tomfoolery of the early acts is harder to swallow when you're not watching it unfold in real-time, though. It's a trade-off.

It's always a bit difficult to balance a webcomic format with a compelling story. Personally I tend to prefer ones like Homestuck; Even though they are a bit harder to deal with when you're waiting for the updates, on the whole I find them a lot more enjoyable, and it makes them a lot more fun to re-read later.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I just noticed something interesting.

Take a look at this page, read the text and watch the short flash, keep them in mind. Now, remember something that happened in the latest flash? Something LE raised? Now, go to here, look at the album name and cover. Connections everywhere. :ninja:

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=002344

All of the prosy moments are probably about English in some way, I'd wager.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

nerdbot posted:

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=002344

All of the prosy moments are probably about English in some way, I'd wager.

HUSSSSSIIIIEEEEEEEEE!!! posted:

"So don't change the dizzle, turn it up a little
I got a living room full of fine dime brizzles
Waiting on the Pizzle, the Dizzle and the Shizzle
G's to the bizzack, now ladies here we gizzo

When the pimp's in the crib ma
Drop it like it's hot
Drop it like it's hot
Drop it like it's hot..."

-English Romantic poet, John Keats.

English Romantic poet you say? :ninja:

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Isn't Lord English a pimp? :tinfoil:

pepperoni and keys
Sep 7, 2011

I think about food literally all day every day. It's a thing.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I just realized that nearly the entire comic is written in the English language. English, as in Lord English.

He is already here, the entire time.

:aaa:

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008
Are you implying that this comic is about how language (English) abstracts away minor nuances in human emotion, which slowly erodes away at our humanity? 'Cause that makes some serious sense in light of the humorous ways language has obstructed our protagonists in this comic. Little did we know, John fussing around with a sylladex would turn out to be Hussie's amazing message to human beings. He would go on to join Plato and Homer in the Pantheon of great philosophers. Nic Cage would be his humble knight.

Oh, look, still two weeks away from an update, huh?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Mystery Machine posted:

Oh, look, still two weeks away from an update, huh?

Death is certain.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
Please, we lasted find during the last Pause, which was only a few days shorter. There's no way the additional anticipation fostered by the previous [S] will drive us over the edge.

Incidentally, I keep forgetting we're coming up on an intermission next. This is maybe the only time during Act 6 I've been excited enough for the next sub-Act for that to happen, rather than excited to see all our old friends in between the green curtains.

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

This is maybe the only time during Act 6 I've been excited enough for the next sub-Act for that to happen, rather than excited to see all our old friends in between the green curtains.

Yeah, but Karkat and Dave are known to do funny things in the intermission.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I don't know how Hussie will top the ghostdicks+cape bodyslam thing but I have faith that he'll find a way.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I expect the intermission to go nigh-catastrophically off the rails for the meteor contingent. Lord English is right behind them!

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I'd kinda like to see the intermission used to contrast with the last one. Dave, energized with purpose by seeing the destruction of the dream bubble, is done farting around with Can Town 2.0. Gamzee shows up a lot and we get a hint or two what he's up to. John and Jade have finally gotten bored with John's lovely games.

Oh, and we're just about due for some troll eye color changes, right? Karkat can focus on that.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Potion shop Gamzee still had orange and black eyes, so I don't think it's time for that just yet any more than we'll see John with a full beard. The rest of it, though, sounds fairly plausible - it seems like a safe bet that the meteor portion of the intermission will begin soon after Dave watched that bubble burst, and that would inject some urgency.

The big question, though, apart from Gamzee, is whether or not we'll see Calliope pop up anywhere. I suspect we won't because that might take the weight off her decision to tell Roxy her name, not to mention it could be too soon to deflate the tension over whether there's anything left of her... but, well, we'll find out.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

These are good ideas and questions but the real question is this: who's the next dead pre-scratch troll we're gonna meet? :getin:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Color Printer posted:

These are good ideas and questions but the real question is this: who's the next dead pre-scratch troll we're gonna meet? :getin:

A whole bifurcated act about their story would be overkill, but I do at least want to get some idea of who they all are. Names and pictures, at least. Someone who'd have a strong connection both to Meenah and to a living character would be best, so Vantas, one hopes.

And while we're dreaming, I'd like a portion of the intermission to be narrated from WV's perspective.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Bongo Bill posted:

A whole bifurcated act about their story would be overkill, but I do at least want to get some idea of who they all are. Names and pictures, at least. Someone who'd have a strong connection both to Meenah and to a living character would be best, so Vantas, one hopes.

We might get him at some point, yeah - considering how hard Karkat was still working to pretend the whole ancestor thing is total bullshit last time we saw him. That could easily be something Hussie will be building on.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

We might get him at some point, yeah - considering how hard Karkat was still working to pretend the whole ancestor thing is total bullshit last time we saw him. That could easily be something Hussie will be building on.

Okay, now I really want to see Karkat and tiny Sufferer get into a shouting match. :allears:

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Going by what Meenah was saying, kidSufferer wasn't nearly as awesome as Karkat.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Meenah's criteria for determining that are narrower than most readers', I think.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

I don't care which pre-scratch Troll we meet next as long as they keep up Meenah's schtick of no longer letting Aranea give plot exposition. Her plot exposition privileges have been utterly revoked.

Bongo Bill posted:

I expect the intermission to go nigh-catastrophically off the rails for the meteor contingent. Lord English is right behind them!

Lord English is probably Already Here in front of them at the same time, for all we know!

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Midnight Raider posted:

I don't care which pre-scratch Troll we meet next as long as they keep up Meenah's schtick of no longer letting Aranea give plot exposition. Her plot exposition privileges have been utterly revoked.
Man it's like you want Meenah to have her bling impounded or something. Hows a girl supposed to get her poke on if some shitwitch keeps filching the bling.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Going by what Meenah was saying, kidSufferer wasn't nearly as awesome as Karkat.

...which would make them meeting up even better. Karkat does his usual shouting at little Sufferer, but instead the Sufferer just blows it off and is really understanding and sympathetic towards everything Karkat has gone through. Little Sufferer then starts chatting about his post-Scratch self and how Karkat could learn from him, which makes Karkat freak out because it confirms his ancestor and the concept of ancestors really, without a doubt, exist.

It would be beautiful.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I'm really looking forward to Dave's reaction to seeing a bubble full of dead people get wiped out. He's one of the more human... well, humans in the story when it comes to reacting to events and it'd be satisfying to see him flip his poo poo over something poo poo-flip worthy. Especially considering his particular issues regarding death, that's got to feel like a significant chunk of his own self that Lord English just murdered.

Maybe he'll finally take Rose seriously when she tries to explain what's up next. It's a little weird that the last intermission gave us almost no sense that the surviving players were doing anything to get ready for their arrival in the new universe. Rose was writing a book, which is a good start I guess, but why aren't John and Jade finishing their personal quests on the Incipisphere they brought with them? Why aren't the meteor survivors working together to train or plan or talk strategy rather than scurrying off to pursue their own private, petty objectives?

I get that teenagers are a notoriously fickle lot, but this situation is somewhat exceptional.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Remember, they've got three years to prepare. No teenager, no matter how dedicated, starts their summer vacation be doing homework. You save that poo poo and half-rear end it at the last moment.

Besides, everyone had been through a lot. They needed some rest.

But yeah, crunch time is approaching.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Bobulus posted:

Defeating Lord English = Homework

My god, it all makes sense now! Rose and Kanaya getting the books out to get a head start, Dave and Terezi goofing off on the playground with their chalk, John and Jade playing video games instead of studying up, Gamzee off playing hooky...

Homestuck's coming of age metaphor goes deeper than we thought.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Speaking of metaphors for childhood, did anyone get along with their siblings at thirteen? Now that they've had time to get used to each other and even more time to get annoyed with each other, I would not be surprised at all if John and Jade are getting a bit sick of each other.

And Karkat is going to be that one kid that reaches the end of summer and goes, "gently caress, where does the time go?I wasted the whole summer! Fuuuccckkkkkk..."

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 7, 2012

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Dolash posted:

My god, it all makes sense now! Rose and Kanaya getting the books out to get a head start, Dave and Terezi goofing off on the playground with their chalk, John and Jade playing video games instead of studying up, Gamzee off playing hooky...

Homestuck's coming of age metaphor goes deeper than we thought.
If Defeating Lord English = Homework then Hussie made Homestuck into a giant Endless Eight reference.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

DaveKap posted:

If Defeating Lord English = Homework then Hussie made Homestuck into a giant Endless Eight reference.

Come on now, the pacing isn't that bad :suicide:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Suaimhneas posted:

Come on now, the pacing isn't that bad :suicide:

It will be once Hussie rests the entire comic to page one and recycles the entire thing pixel for pixel, except for one small change in the text a few thousand pages in.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I was going to re-arrange Teal Hunter so it sounded better and I accidentally ended up making it completely, utterly different. Oops.

Teal Hunter, White Dragon

The atmosphere I ended up going for was "oh poo poo she has a dragon gently caress gently caress gently caress", as seen in [S] Seer: Ascend.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Does anyone have recommendations of what sequence or flash I could show a friend to get them interested in Homestuck? My personal favorite flashes feel like they would require too much explanation, and showing them the beginning is a dry way to start. tips?

Doug Rattman
Sep 10, 2011

Formerly known as Doug Rattman

Triskelli posted:

Does anyone have recommendations of what sequence or flash I could show a friend to get them interested in Homestuck? My personal favorite flashes feel like they would require too much explanation, and showing them the beginning is a dry way to start. tips?

What about Dirk:Sychronize? It's pretty cool and not that spoiler filled.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Triskelli posted:

Dave: Strife or Dave: Abscond are excellent choices. WV?: Rise up requires little context, and Make her pay is plenty of spectacle and action that doesn't spoil a lot.

Doug Rattman posted:

What about Dirk:Sychronize? It's pretty cool and not that spoiler filled.

It does spoil the existence of the second group of kids, which might be important.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Triskelli posted:

I have a few ideas here.

Just drop them straight in from the beginning. The opening may take a while to ramp up, but they might as well get used to it because it's not like there's going to be less text as they go, and half the fun is seeing how both the characters and the format have evolved so drastically.

If you're going to draw them in with a flash, I recommend Jade: Retrieve Package. But don't explain anything. If they want to find out what the hell just happened, they'll have to click the little ==> 4000 times like everyone else. It's how my brother got me to read it.

Or make them read Problem Sleuth! Because not only is Problem Sleuth great, it's also a great deal shorter and should give someone a better idea of what sorts of crazy directions Homestuck runs to.

ps if anyone here has not yet read Problem Sleuth, please go do so now.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

Triskelli posted:

I can only say what worked for me personally, and that was being shown the EOA4 flash "Descend". Context isn't what's important, what matters is showing off the scope of what the comic can do when it's at its best. If it looks cool and exciting and has rockin' music, not having a clue what just happened plot-wise isn't a big deal, they'll figure it out for themselves. But that won't happen if they're not interested in what the comic has to offer from a visual and technical standpoint.

Doug Rattman
Sep 10, 2011

Formerly known as Doug Rattman
While rewatching [S] Descend, I noticed that after Jack blew up Prospit's moon, you can see a couple of white flashes coming from Skaia. Does anyone know what this means?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I started Homestruck because a few months ago I noticed this thread said "The Final Acts" and figured I could read it and catch up as it was ending (hahaha). I started with Homestruck, but in the beginning they show you John's bookshelf with all the past stories in them. So I took Problem Sleuth without knowing that it was going to be this big story of it's own. I eventually finished PS, and think that you should at least read that before Homestruck.