Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The thing about the engine is, it's a fickle beast. It won't take advantage of virtually any of that 16GB of RAM--even with FNV4GB, you'll use something less than 4GB. It doesn't take nearly enough advantage of multi-core CPUs, either, so you won't benefit from the 4 (or 8 virtual) cores that i7 has. In fact, one of the most significant boosts to general performance comes from having a solid state drive.

That isn't to say you'll have problems running the game. Your rig sounds solid. But, if you do choose to use the "large" NMC texture pack, you may still observe a marked increase in stuttering while moving around cells.

And yeah, if you're doing any modding, you'll want to use FNV4GB. Mods increase the demands on the game, and the game was only written to deal with very specific amounts of memory (with consoles in mind.) If you demand more memory than the engine is prescribed, it will CTD. Using the FNV4GB raises this ceiling, and reduces the frequency of associated CTDs. This is especially true when using high resolution texture packs.

EDIT: I should also say that, even with your PC, you may experience poorer performance than you would expect. This is not your PC's fault, it's a combination of Bethesda's and the lovely engine they chose for this game. I feel pretty confident saying that no amount of tweaking will net you a consistent 60 FPS.

Ok, this is all good advice. I think I'll start modding tonight and see what I can see. I suppose I can't break anything permanently so I should just experiment until I get in trouble.

EDIT:

Capn Beeb posted:

Been a long time since I shot an ant in the face.

Used to using arrows, or an axe, or some kinda magic. I suppose handloaded ammunition is a type of magic.

Just like riding a bike.

:clint:

What aesthetic mods are you using here? That looks amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Upmarket Mango posted:

Strangely enough the FXAA tool seems to have little effect on AA for me and the SMAA tool absolutely murders my framerate while forcing AA through my graphics card (I'm using a HD 6950) grants me an improved picture quality while pretty much leaving my framerate untouched.

Really? I always use the SMAA injector on games with my 6950, and it never slows anything down, F:NV included.

Also, if anyone uses the FNV4GB patch, you may notice lip-synching being horribly off. I'm pretty sure others have had this problem and I wish I knew what fixed it.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Levantine posted:

Looks like a sandstorm in Nevada Skies or maybe Project Reality.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
Just noticed that the infinite ammo mod for companions listed in the OP appears to clash with JSawyer by changing some of the same ammo lists. For example my 40mm mercenary's grenade rifle would only use the default ammo type and refuse to take any special ammo such as the pulse or plasma until I disabled the companion ammo mod. I haven't tested further but Fnvedit showed a couple of ammo lists in red so watch out for that if you have both mods installed.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Any idea what could be causing my game to be racist?

Most people that should be black, the Van Graffs for example, still have their limbs etc in the correct colour, but their faces are near albino. The caucasian, asian, hispanic textures seem to be unchanged.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Really? I always use the SMAA injector on games with my 6950, and it never slows anything down, F:NV included.

Also, if anyone uses the FNV4GB patch, you may notice lip-synching being horribly off. I'm pretty sure others have had this problem and I wish I knew what fixed it.

It's only F:NV that it kills my performance. On Skyrim for example my framerate isn't touched.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Rather Dashing posted:

Most people that should be black, the Van Graffs for example, still have their limbs etc in the correct colour, but their faces are near albino. The caucasian, asian, hispanic textures seem to be unchanged.

Usually a good idea to post your load order in these situations.

Sycophantry
Jan 4, 2009

Rather Dashing posted:

Check your fallout_default.ini and change bLoadFaceGenHeadEGTFiles=0 to bLoadFaceGenHeadEGTFiles=1

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

SplitSoul posted:

That's on my list but I was more talking about the outfit/weapon and the reload animation - I don't think those are standard are they? They look cool.

EDIT: Ok, where can I get FOMM? Nexus indicates that it has been set to hidden.

EDIT2: Nevermind, Nexus seems to be having some issues. Disregard.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 6, 2012

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
The project reality mod absolutely killed my framerate with any of it's features turned on. Hell, the whether effects made my framerate come crashing down. This is on a 560ti/i5 2500k/8GB rig mind you, with FNV4GB.exe enabled. A shame, because the effects are pretty cool.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Rather Dashing posted:

In addition to what Sycophantry said, open up FOMM and toggle archiveinvalidation off and back on again.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

misterdoo01 posted:

The project reality mod absolutely killed my framerate with any of it's features turned on. Hell, the whether effects made my framerate come crashing down. This is on a 560ti/i5 2500k/8GB rig mind you, with FNV4GB.exe enabled. A shame, because the effects are pretty cool.

The only thing that sucks performance for me is the DoF it has. The rest of the settings are fine - my machine is way under your specs.

Convicted Lovebot
Jan 29, 2011
Yeah, Project Reality was eating my framerate with the weather effects, even when they were turned off. I installed Nevada Skies and the game runs smooth as butter, even with RFCW and several other mods installed.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Ok, quick question about WME - it says to load Weapon Mod Expansion.ESM near the top and Weapon Mod Expansion.ESP after any weapon change mods - I'm assuming that includes stuff like Gun Runners Arsenal or no?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Apparently I'm an idiot and an rear end in a top hat, since I didn't notice that
A) Omnicarus hasn't posted in like 8 months,
B) It was actually The King of Swag made the patch for the 20ga stock error (the one where it removed 24 rounds from the ammo box for each 12 it stocked), or that
C) Omnicarus probably would have known how to patch an ESP since Lombard Station does rather a lot of it - and probably wouldn't associate the Lombard Station base ESP with Gun Runners' Arsenal unnecessarily. Sorry, dudes.

For the record you use TESsnip to clone the main ESP [in this case Lombard Station] into an ESM, then use FNVedit to associate the ESP [LS-GRA] that will patch the ESP [LS] with the new [LS] ESM instead of the [LS] ESP, make your changes to [LS-GRA] in GECK, then reassociate it with the [LS] ESP.

Anyway, I fixed the 20ga stocking error - cleanly this time. No more crashing on exit and no other ammo stocks appear to be broken in testing. Grab it here.

Still haven't figured out how to get the Heavy Weapons wall to take in the GRA Fat Man (today was my first time ever in GECK), and until I do, I'd rather not have it show up on the wall if you stuff it into the wall manually.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 6, 2012

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Are there settings for Project Reality I can access ingame? The readme didn't go into detail.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Levantine posted:

Are there settings for Project Reality I can access ingame? The readme didn't go into detail.

Yeah, you get a thing in your inventory that let's you edit PR settings. I also think that if you have Mod Configuration Menu installed it'll add a menu to that instead.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Upmarket Mango posted:

Yeah, you get a thing in your inventory that let's you edit PR settings. I also think that if you have Mod Configuration Menu installed it'll add a menu to that instead.

I think I'm having issues then because I've enabled that mod in the Package Manager and I don't see it ingame. In fact, neither that nor Project Reality seem to be working, though I have no errors at all. Right now my load order is strictly:

FalloutNV.esm
DeadMoney.esm
HonestHearts.esm
OldWorldBlues.esm
LonesomeRoad.esm
GunRunnersArsenal.esm
ClassicPack.esm
MercenaryPack.esm
TribalPack.esm
CaravanPack.esm
The Mod Configuration Menu.esp
ProjectRealityMkIv5HDR.esp

Total active plugins: 12
Total plugins: 12

All the regular Fallout stuff (the first 10) are bold type whereas the last two are not. Is that normal?

EDIT: Ok, it seemed I didn't have NVSE properly installed, however now the Mod Configuration menu gives me an error when I pause the game. It indicates that either UAC/Firewall is blocking it or I need to update my Visual C++ Redistributable, but I have the newest version. Any ideas?

Levantine fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 6, 2012

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Did you install New Vegas to C:\Program Files\Steam...etc etc? That's been known to cause issues, otherwise I don't have a clue, sorry :(

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Upmarket Mango posted:

Did you install New Vegas to C:\Program Files\Steam...etc etc? That's been known to cause issues, otherwise I don't have a clue, sorry :(

Yes, I did. Bleh, I have UAC off (which I hate doing) and C++ 2010 updated to current. Not sure what to do next. Modding is not working out real well so far :v:

EDIT: I think I had to disable/re-enable Archive Invalidation. It works now. I'm sure I'll have a blast when I figure out the whole modding thing but I just spent like 2 hours trying to get just Project Reality up and running! Ah well, it's the small victories. Thank you for your help!

Levantine fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Aug 7, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Maybe a dumb suggestion but maybe running as administrator? I've recently gotten back into New Vegas and I always run the game from the FOMM if that matters. And yes, it bolds every .esm. If you are running only Project Reality I don't think you need the script extender. If you don't have MCM it just gives you an item under the AID listing that lets you change some basic settings, although I personally don't think there's really any settings that need changing. It's pretty great right out of the box.

Also I'm not sure what you guys mean by 'installing' NVSE. I just unzipped to my New Vegas directory.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 7, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Levantine posted:

Yes, I did. Bleh, I have UAC off (which I hate doing) and C++ 2010 updated to current. Not sure what to do next. Modding is not working out real well so far :v:

EDIT: I was going to tell you to make sure you've installed NVSE, but it appears that you've caught that in your previous post.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Ok, starting to make progress. New question: I'm using WME since that looked fun and since I have all the DLCs and Gun Runners, I needed all the mods I think. This is my load order now:

FalloutNV.esm
Weapon Mod Expansion.esm
WME - DLCs.esm
WME - GRA.esm
DeadMoney.esm
HonestHearts.esm
OldWorldBlues.esm
LonesomeRoad.esm
GunRunnersArsenal.esm
ClassicPack.esm
MercenaryPack.esm
TribalPack.esm
CaravanPack.esm
The Mod Configuration Menu.esp
WME - GRA - Vendor Reform.esp
WME - GRA - Unique Integration.esp
WME - GRA - Complete.esp
WME - DLCs.esp
WME - GRA - Weapon Integration.esp
Weapon Mod Expansion.esp
ProjectRealityMkIv5HDR.esp

Total active plugins: 21
Total plugins: 21

Does that look about right? How do I know if I've been successful with the weapon related ones? I didn't get an installed message the way I did with Project Reality and the Mod Menu.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Levantine posted:

Does that look about right? How do I know if I've been successful with the weapon related ones? I didn't get an installed message the way I did with Project Reality and the Mod Menu.

It's not right, but running it through BOSS should fix it. Your .esm files are all jumbled up and the WME plugins are mixed up, too.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Sycophantry posted:

Check your fallout_default.ini and change bLoadFaceGenHeadEGTFiles=0 to bLoadFaceGenHeadEGTFiles=1

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

In addition to what Sycophantry said, open up FOMM and toggle archiveinvalidation off and back on again.

That did the trick, thanks chaps. I was also getting bearded ladies so I'm tempted to intentionally bring it back now.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Apparently I'm an idiot and an rear end in a top hat, since I didn't notice that
A) Omnicarus hasn't posted in like 8 months,
B) It was actually The King of Swag made the patch for the 20ga stock error (the one where it removed 24 rounds from the ammo box for each 12 it stocked), or that
C) Omnicarus probably would have known how to patch an ESP since Lombard Station does rather a lot of it - and probably wouldn't associate the Lombard Station base ESP with Gun Runners' Arsenal unnecessarily. Sorry, dudes.

For the record you use TESsnip to clone the main ESP [in this case Lombard Station] into an ESM, then use FNVedit to associate the ESP [LS-GRA] that will patch the ESP [LS] with the new [LS] ESM instead of the [LS] ESP, make your changes to [LS-GRA] in GECK, then reassociate it with the [LS] ESP.

Anyway, I fixed the 20ga stocking error - cleanly this time. No more crashing on exit and no other ammo stocks appear to be broken in testing. Grab it here.

Still haven't figured out how to get the Heavy Weapons wall to take in the GRA Fat Man (today was my first time ever in GECK), and until I do, I'd rather not have it show up on the wall if you stuff it into the wall manually.

What can I say, I even warned when I posted my cut-down version of The Armory before the Lombard Station patch, that I know just enough about modding Gamebryo engine games to be dangerous. I barely understand those instructions on how to patch an ESP by making the tools think it's an ESM.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Ok, I think I've got my mods down now. I just crashed for some unknown reason but other than that it's pretty stable (at least as stable as Fallout can be). Thanks for the help!

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Levantine posted:

SplitSoul posted:

Yeah, Nevada Skies. Also some enhanced shaders mod that I can't recall the name of :downs:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Capn Beeb posted:

Yeah, Nevada Skies. Also some enhanced shaders mod that I can't recall the name of :downs:

What about the clothing and weapon your dude was using? Is that custom or is that just something you can find?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Levantine posted:

What about the clothing and weapon your dude was using? Is that custom or is that just something you can find?

Oh! Gun is a hacked together mesh using resources from:

AG's Supplementary Uniques

Hat is from:

Gunslinger outfit

Sunglasses: Sunglasses collection

Blunt: Marijuana Plant

Clothes: A mashup of TG's armor collection and some DesertScorpion pack. I pulled the satchel bag from LPAM, found in the OP and just threw it on the TG/DesertScorpion mesh.

No idea where to find that DesertScorpion pack now :(

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

Oh yeah, where are people getting the updated version of gtabs ammo crafting mod? I've heard the one uploaded to the nexus is incredibly outdated.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Deadly Chlorine posted:

Oh yeah, where are people getting the updated version of gtabs ammo crafting mod? I've heard the one uploaded to the nexus is incredibly outdated.

Check TFR's video game thread. Someone in there is hosting it. Go back a few pages, some posted a link to it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Capn Beeb posted:

Oh! Gun is a hacked together mesh using resources from:

AG's Supplementary Uniques

Hat is from:

Gunslinger outfit

Sunglasses: Sunglasses collection

Blunt: Marijuana Plant

Clothes: A mashup of TG's armor collection and some DesertScorpion pack. I pulled the satchel bag from LPAM, found in the OP and just threw it on the TG/DesertScorpion mesh.

No idea where to find that DesertScorpion pack now :(

Awesome, thanks. Quick question on top - is WME compatible with The Armory mod or do I need to disable one or the other? Also I want to play pretty dressup somewhere along the line - is TG's armor good for that?.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Aug 7, 2012

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

I'm having trouble getting MCM to play with the latest version of Darnified UI linked in the OP. If I have Darnified installed then the MCM installer complains it can't access its files when I try to install it. Removing Darnified and installing MCM works and performs correctly in game.

The issue seems the be the start_menu.xml file in the Data\menus\options folder in my New Vegas install. Both Darnified and MCM want to put their own versions in. Looking at the MCM install script suggests it tries to modify the xml file if it finds it already existing, but it isn't working. I tried to merge the files manually which seemed to work until I got into the game and MCM complained that it couldn't access its files and I should disabled UAC. I know UAC isn't the issue as my New Vegas install is on a different drive (and has the security set to let everyone write).

I also tried unsetting and setting the archive invalidation in NMM.

The latest version of the Visual C++ runtime is installed.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on what to try?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

SplitSoul posted:

A couple of Nifskope questions:

- How can I add normals to weapons that don't have them like, say, some of those from the Armory?
- How do I copy/paste armour pieces from one to another? I found a wiki explaining it, but that was for Oblivion and if I follow that I get an error.

Thanks in advance. :)

Anybody?

Also, what's needed to convert FO3 armour to NV?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Levantine posted:

Also I want to play pretty dressup somewhere along the line - is TG's armor good for that?.

TG's has a little something for everyone. I'm pretty impressed with LPAM as well :)

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Capn Beeb posted:

TG's has a little something for everyone. I'm pretty impressed with LPAM as well :)

TG's just crashes my game on startup so I'm going to try LPAM when I get home tonight.

Vorgimmler
May 7, 2009

Levantine posted:

Awesome, thanks. Quick question on top - is WME compatible with The Armory mod or do I need to disable one or the other? Also I want to play pretty dressup somewhere along the line - is TG's armor good for that?.

The Armory has its own set of mods that are separated by a TA prefix. You can go hog-wild with WME or WMX and it won't interfere with TA at all.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Vorgimmler posted:

The Armory has its own set of mods that are separated by a TA prefix. You can go hog-wild with WME or WMX and it won't interfere with TA at all.

Any ideas why it would crash my game on startup? I installed the FOMOD and checked basically everything and I just couldn't get in after that. Disabling it fixed the problem but I'd like to use it if I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Levantine posted:

Any ideas why it would crash my game on startup? I installed the FOMOD and checked basically everything and I just couldn't get in after that. Disabling it fixed the problem but I'd like to use it if I can.

Most commonly, a plugin is being loaded before a plugin that is it's master. Check your load order. However since you just installed TG's armor mod, does anything you have installed already modify the Goodsprings gas station's garage? That's where TG puts all of it's armor in a set of footlockers (against the left wall). You might want to use FNVedit to see if there are any serious conflicts happening there.

chiefnewo posted:

I'm having trouble getting MCM to play with the latest version of Darnified UI linked in the OP. If I have Darnified installed then the MCM installer complains it can't access its files when I try to install it. Removing Darnified and installing MCM works and performs correctly in game.

The issue seems the be the start_menu.xml file in the Data\menus\options folder in my New Vegas install. Both Darnified and MCM want to put their own versions in. Looking at the MCM install script suggests it tries to modify the xml file if it finds it already existing, but it isn't working. I tried to merge the files manually which seemed to work until I got into the game and MCM complained that it couldn't access its files and I should disabled UAC. I know UAC isn't the issue as my New Vegas install is on a different drive (and has the security set to let everyone write).

I also tried unsetting and setting the archive invalidation in NMM.

The latest version of the Visual C++ runtime is installed.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on what to try?

You may need to UAC off or run FO:NV as an administrator. If it's your first time running MCM, i think it needs to make an .ini file somewhere.

Darn and MCM should just inject code into those XML's (much like PN, Advance Recon Tech, oHud, uHud, and basically everything Gopher did in that area.)