Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm not a big fan of Tig Notaro, but this is just awful.

http://flamelikeme.tumblr.com/post/28706896651/tragedy-time-comedy-but-i-dont-have-the

Very sad news, and sounds like she's been through a hell of a time recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Like every comedian I follow on Twitter has been talking about how amazing her set was yesterday. Thanks for the link, I was wondering what it was about.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

The pHo posted:

I'm not a big fan of Tig Notaro, but this is just awful.

http://flamelikeme.tumblr.com/post/28706896651/tragedy-time-comedy-but-i-dont-have-the

Very sad news, and sounds like she's been through a hell of a time recently.

Her crazy stalker must be over the moon right now.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
She was on last week's How Was Your Week telling the horror story about her pneumonia, if anyone cares.

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It sounds like she ought to be on next week's How Was Your Week :stare:

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I hope she will be okay :ohdear:.

Going up on stage after her must have been brutal.

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I did 3 minutes at an open mic tonight and this is the best day ever. Thanks to everyone who posted good advice type words in this thread :dance:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Asterios posted:

My first time at an open mic was for a bunch of Cheesecake Factory employees. I thought for some reason that they'd enjoy me making fun of the high prices and terribly unhealthy food at the Cheesecake Factory.

I was wrong!

I did the same mic again a week later and tape recorded it. Here's video of me doing stand-up for the second time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y50E9UykRRE

hey man is that you on the next episode of International Waters

Asterios
Apr 17, 2008

So long, Skorpex!

https://www.presidentbaby.com

indigi posted:

hey man is that you on the next episode of International Waters

Yes! I had no idea it was going up so soon - thanks for telling me. Where'd you read about it?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Colin Marshall's twitter. That's freakin awesome as hell, Jesse Thorn is one of my favorite humans

Asterios
Apr 17, 2008

So long, Skorpex!

https://www.presidentbaby.com

indigi posted:

Colin Marshall's twitter. That's freakin awesome as hell, Jesse Thorn is one of my favorite humans

Likewise. I've known him & Jordan for a while and they're both really awesome people.

Pig in the City
Oct 7, 2007

That'll do, pig. That'll do.
If I could throw in a video of myself for feedback.

This was a set written in a couple of hours and I know there are some delivery issues which I'm working on for my next show.

Thanks everybody.

(Also contributing - Jesse / Jordan are just loving wonderful guys and such an inspiration. For part of my job I had to do some back and forth with Jesse and he's endlessly sweet to the most ridiculous requests.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlPZnXp0U48

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Went to see Paul F. Tompkins in Philly last night, and while his set was as good as I expected, what I did not expect was the first person on stage to be John Hodgman. It was pretty strange to see him there in the first place, and it took me a second to figure out who he was since I hadn't seen a picture of him in awhile.

It was a great time, despite the theater being overwhelmingly hot.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Darkwing Duck posted:

This was a set written in a couple of hours and I know there are some delivery issues which I'm working on for my next show.

Thanks everybody.

(Also contributing - Jesse / Jordan are just loving wonderful guys and such an inspiration. For part of my job I had to do some back and forth with Jesse and he's endlessly sweet to the most ridiculous requests.)

I think this was neat. Reading out stuff is not great in general because it just interrupts the "flow" but you kinda made it work. Some of the quotes were a bit too long but it worked. The jokes were good and I laughed out loud a couple of times.

The only joke that really fell flat for me was the stone-sword-on-her-chest bit.

And you moved the mic away from your mouth while you were talking a couple of times (mostly when you were flipping trough your book-thingie) that wasn't great.

It's good to see that newspapers are stupid everywhere :allears:.

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

Sometimes I look for Rupees.
Bill Burr's new special is on Netflix. Really good stuff.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Amy Schumer killed last night in her one hour special. I am excited now for Anthony Jeselnecks special. Anyone else like Jamie Killstein? He is one of my favorites and here is him discussing Gay Marriage

Also regarding Amy Schumer they censored "swallow" and "face" as in c*m on her f*ce.

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 19, 2012

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Amy Schumer killed last night in her one hour special. I am excited now for Anthony Jeselnecks special. Anyone else like Jamie Killstein? He is one of my favorites and here is him discussing Gay Marriage

Also regarding Amy Schumer they censored "swallow" and "face" as in c*m on her f*ce.

I had heard good things about Amy Schumer for a while, but I didn't stop laughing throughout her special. I've never liked Sarah Silverman's on-stage persona or her schtick, but Amy was like Sarah "done right" -- all the raunchy sex talk, but somehow good-natured instead of mean or off-putting. Does that make sense? My wife had gone to bed early, but she would have loved every moment of it too. (Comedy Central is repeating it at 12:25 AM, and I'll wake her up just to watch it with me.)

This has been a good year for seeing comedians. I caught Louis C.K. last fall on a trip to Baltimore, and I've seen Jim Gaffigan, Donald Glover, Aziz Ansari, Hannibal Burress, and Josh Blue in Florida this year, and have tickets to Louis again around Thanksgiving. I fantasize about doing an open-mic night myself, but I don't think I would have enough material.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
I think Amy Schumer works because she has a very clearly affected persona. You never think "wow that was a kind of unpleasantly hosed up thing to say, not sure about this," you think "haha that's a bang-on impression of an unpleasantly hosed up person." I think Sarah Silverman is a funnier writer than she is a stand-up, because her bits often boil down to her being squeaky and small and saying curses. Schumer gets onstage, puts on her cruelly-ignorant-barfly mask, and just loving nails it.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
The AV Club is doing a little series about horrible moments that comedians had.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/stand-down-jimmy-pardo,83200/

I loved the Jimmy Pardo and Jen Kirkman bits. Warning: You will loving hate that chewing gum ad afterwards.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

Darkwing Duck posted:

Thanks everybody.

Two weeks late to the party on this (I've just discovered this thread) but I can pitch in if you like:

I think there's some good material in there, but I agree with Popelmon about the length of the articles - it would've benefitted from a summary of some areas followed by choice quotes from the paper, as opposed to a wholesale reading of what felt like quite a lot of the articles.

As you've said, the delivery thing is something that needs a touch of work - you start at the top volume / level of energy and it's all at one sort of shouty, relentless pace, with no pauses or shift in pattern. I think I felt it the most when you were reading the articles, because sometimes I had to spend a couple of seconds wondering whether you'd finished quoting or not, due to the similarity in the delivery throughout.

Otherwise, there's some good content for sure, it just needs to room to breathe, which is all down to pacing (in my completely hamfisted, what-the-gently caress-do-I-know opinion).

EDIT:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

This has been a good year for seeing comedians. I caught Louis C.K. last fall on a trip to Baltimore, and I've seen Jim Gaffigan, Donald Glover, Aziz Ansari, Hannibal Burress, and Josh Blue in Florida this year

Hannibal Buress is amazing - what I don't get is his subjects feel like very overdone "I went to the so and so and this guy said" observational jokes, except there's something his delivery that makes him one of my favourite current stand ups. I like that I can't quite put my finger on what it is about the language he uses that makes me laugh so hard. I think it's the way his punchlines are so short, matter of fact and concise. It feels very well crafted, despite sounding like a guy in the pub explaining things in a simplistic way.

Gazmachine fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Aug 23, 2012

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

Anyone here going to jfl42 in toronto?

Furthermore can anyone tell me if patton oswalt is full? I cant seem to figure out if he is and they wont tell me unless I order a pass.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

TheAbortionator posted:

Anyone here going to jfl42 in toronto?

Furthermore can anyone tell me if patton oswalt is full? I cant seem to figure out if he is and they wont tell me unless I order a pass.

Yeah I'm going. Oswalt's 7pm September 21st show at the QET isn't full as of right now (according to the website). I'm not sure if the 9:30pm show on the same night is full because I'd have to cancel my reservation to check that and I don't want to risk it.

E: So far I've reserved seats at Louis CK, Patton Oswalt, Amy Schumer, Todd Barry, Ari Shaffer, Pete Holmes, The Nerdist, and The Second City. Well worth the $149 as far as I'm concerned!

DannoMack fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 28, 2012

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Hey guys.

I was wondering, why is Kevin Hart so popular, and should I be finding him funny at all?

I tried to watch his standup, and found it really dull. Seemed to be him just telling stories while pounding his chest.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

FuzzySkinner posted:

Hey guys.

I was wondering, why is Kevin Hart so popular, and should I be finding him funny at all?

I tried to watch his standup, and found it really dull. Seemed to be him just telling stories while pounding his chest.

He's loving awful. My friend bought tickets to go see him but I absolutely refused to go with him. We don't usually have a lot of famous black comedians to go see in my hometown, so when one shows up it sells out real quick. This is why I saw Steve Harvey do standup a few years back. I did as many drugs as I could when I left, but I can still remember some of what he said.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Ariza posted:

He's loving awful. My friend bought tickets to go see him but I absolutely refused to go with him. We don't usually have a lot of famous black comedians to go see in my hometown, so when one shows up it sells out real quick. This is why I saw Steve Harvey do standup a few years back. I did as many drugs as I could when I left, but I can still remember some of what he said.

This is the worst review ever.

"This comic is poo poo because I got high as gently caress when I watched that one dude."

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

I swear Kevin Hart was funny once but I don't remember the year/name of the special. I watched his most recent one not that long ago and was baffled by the fact that very few of his set-ups ended with actual punchlines... it was weird.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Kevin Hart fans mystify me. Whatever they're connecting with in his comedy, I just don't see it.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Maarak posted:

Kevin Hart fans mystify me. Whatever they're connecting with in his comedy, I just don't see it.

I've tried to figure that out. I got bored and looked up one of his quotes, and this is one of them I came across.

"I dont like to hear women argue....it makes my balls itch."

How does that make sense? It sounds like two unrelated thoughts, like you attached the halves of two unrelated jokes.

Howdy
Jan 25, 2005
I tried listening to a few of his albums on Spotify, couldn't get more than a couple tracks deep on any of them. Don't get it at all. But the dude's selling out arenas so why change anything.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

Yeah there's no reason to hate Kevin Hart. He obviously connects with people and has never been accused of plagiarism so more power to him, it's always good for comedy as a whole to have big money draws at the top. It's mystifying though, that's for sure.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DannoMack posted:

Yeah there's no reason to hate Kevin Hart. He obviously connects with people and has never been accused of plagiarism so more power to him, it's always good for comedy as a whole to have big money draws at the top. It's mystifying though, that's for sure.

Yea he's just kinda...there. I can't see any reason to dislike him but I also can't see any reason to spend money going to listen to him. I guess he has his fans, though, so rock on tiny angry dude.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
He's an extremely hard working comedian who is high energy and is charismatic. He might not be hitting people with some heavy deep poo poo. No, he isn't reinventing the wheel but I can completely see how he has gotten to the point where he is in his career.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

soggybagel posted:

He's an extremely hard working comedian who is high energy and is charismatic. He might not be hitting people with some heavy deep poo poo. No, he isn't reinventing the wheel but I can completely see how he has gotten to the point where he is in his career.

This is exactly how I defend Nickelback whenever I want to piss someone off.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I think Nickelback is far too maligned. They're harmless.

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hating on things is the easiest/laziest form of comedy and everyone on the internet wants to be funny. Then it's just a natural arms race of who can say the sickest burn until you end up with thing X being the worst anything ever and everyone who likes X is human garbage and I hope X catches aids and falls in a river.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

soggybagel posted:

I think Nickelback is far too maligned. They're harmless.

I agree. I wasn't making a joke, defending Nickelback is surprisingly easy.

Kevin Hart and Nickelback are a pretty apt comparison though imho. They're both hugely successful, neither one claims to be changing the game, and neither one has undergone the huge style changes that success often brings, but rather have stuck with what got them there so as not to alienate their fanbase.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

DannoMack posted:

I agree. I wasn't making a joke, defending Nickelback is surprisingly easy.

Kevin Hart and Nickelback are a pretty apt comparison though imho. They're both hugely successful, neither one claims to be changing the game, and neither one has undergone the huge style changes that success often brings, but rather have stuck with what got them there so as not to alienate their fanbase.

I can't fault Nickelback for being Nickelback.

Terrible band? No question

But, they've found a way to make money off of not being particularly good, and seem to enjoy doing it.

I place more blame on the local Clear Channel radio stations in any given market.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
So has there been any rumblings about Jeselnik putting out something new? He's my fave, but roasts can only hold me for so long. A cursory search and check of his site show nothing.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
He had a new hour at Just For Laughs Montreal called 'Caligula'. Don't doubt that it will get released at some point, but I have no concrete info.

edit: back from a dog walk, and now I do http://www.laughspin.com/2012/06/28/anthony-jeselnik-gets-his-own-comedy-central-show-fake-enthusiasm-does-not-interest-me/

Piquai Souban fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Speaking of Jeselnik, I love his first album but it is hard to relisten to because of how some fan thinks every punchline deserves an applause break. Granted that fits with Jeselnik's stage persona but man it gets annoying. It happens to me from time to time on other albums with bad laughs but this is by far the worst.