Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ATI Jesus
Aug 14, 2003
I can walk on water with my ATI graphics card installed!

Skandiaavity posted:

oh, SoCal weather is great.

Quick q, though: my understanding (from our CDO) was that your first two tours are directed and thus, don't qualify as hardship; thus you don't have any real equity for the first two. On the third it might have a large impact. Would that effect your pay as well? 'Cause that would suck.

(apologies in advance if my CDO is incorrect, i would appreciate any corrections)

vvvv- clarification: do you get equity on your first two tours? since they're directed?

I think the CDO is trying to say that for the stupid career advancement track to Senior Foreign Service, the "serve at 15% or more hardship post" tickbox doesn't count on a directed tour. A policy that is total loving bullshit I might add. You do get the money.

As far as equity goes, I served at a 20% danger 20% hardship post, and I got my 3rd place pick, and the two ahead were in the same bureau as my first post so I was essentially ineligible for them.

On the third tour, it's all you. Networking, bidding, 360's, it all depends on you and who you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.

ATI Jesus posted:

I think the CDO is trying to say that for the stupid career advancement track to Senior Foreign Service, the "serve at 15% or more hardship post" tickbox doesn't count on a directed tour. A policy that is total loving bullshit I might add. You do get the money.

As far as equity goes, I served at a 20% danger 20% hardship post, and I got my 3rd place pick, and the two ahead were in the same bureau as my first post so I was essentially ineligible for them.

On the third tour, it's all you. Networking, bidding, 360's, it all depends on you and who you know.

And just to add - if you're on a limited med clearance, you have to have your CDO and MED sign off on every intended bid before you even lobby. And that process can take up to weeks depending on the number of posts they have to vet.

*twiddling thumbs* :whatup:

Vilerat
May 11, 2002
I think he means that new hire directed tours don't count for clearing out your fair share. But that should also mean that it shouldn't matter cause your first two are directed and your fair share ticker shouldn't be started yet.

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.

Vilerat posted:

I think he means that new hire directed tours don't count for clearing out your fair share. But that should also mean that it shouldn't matter cause your first two are directed and your fair share ticker shouldn't be started yet.

Yeah, that's true. CDOs try to keep equity in mind when directing the first and second tours, but ultimately it does come down to who they can fit into each posting and still make the timing work.

I believe last ELO bidding cycle, they moved in "tranches" instead of basing the whole thing on equity points. Those with higher equity simply got a first stab at the available postings and HR figured it out from there.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Yeah your CDO doesn't seem to know what equity is and is confusing it with the fair share (15% hardship every 8 years or whatever it is) requirement.

Equity % = hardship % + differential % + any other % modifiers like HDS. When doing 2nd tour bidding, they do it in equity order. The 20%+ tranche bids first, everyone else bids second. Theoretically within your tranche, they start with the person with highest equity and work down, but who knows if that actually happens.

Equity is ONLY relevant for your 2nd tour, it ceases to exist after that.

Saho
Jun 9, 2012

Vilerat posted:

I gotta stress that networking is 80% of this job and you're all starting with a HUGE advantage. Don't let that advantage go.

I've heard this before advise before and I know this is kind of a dumb question, but I've never really been in a position where networking is a 'thing'...

Any suggestions on how to get this done? For example, we have class mentors and individual mentors, should I be reaching out to these people? Think of things to ask?

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
Thanks! Yeah, definitely looking more like my CDO confused Equity with Fair Share. It was mentioned along the lines of "Equity/hardship doesn't count for your first two tours" so people were like WTF. I'll let them know the CDO was confusing things.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer
So, I've seen it mentioned off-handedly in the thread before, but no one seemed to go into much detail. I was wondering about getting residence in States that don't have an income tax before you begin working abroad. From my research, it looks like there are seven States without an income tax:

Alaska
Florida
Nevada
South Dakota
Texas
Washington
Wyoming

I guess my first question is - is this legal? Just becoming a resident so you can then leave and avoid taxes, it sounds a little fishy.

And the other question is - how do you go about becoming a resident in a short period of time? Is it just get an address in order to get a drivers license and change your voter registration, usually?

I don't have a job abroad or anything, I was just curious how it all works.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
Barring the morality of it -

A) you still pay federal taxes. You can't get out of that without some creativity.

B) also New Hampshire I think. Basically the way it works is you pay no state income tax. However, you also have to reside there for more than X days of the year. If you don't, it defaults to your other state - which will want its taxes. If you live in that state before you go abroad, i believe you can claim the last state you lived in.

C) However, i think you have to live there X months of the year.. I don't know if anyone checks, but to transfer a driver's license is at least 60 days? Varies from state-to-state. If you have friends/family in the area, that would be better since you can say you lived overseas but they were your U.S. 'residence' & got your mail, etc. If you actually buy a place there, then i think you're entitled to whatever the state offers.

just my understanding. it's not tax advice and should not be understood as so. For more in depth i'd probably say see the tax megathread or a tax accountant/tax lawyer. The goon in the tax thread is very knowledgeable about such subjects.

(edit: the IRS collaborates with states & vice versa FYI. What you said is actually a pretty common form of tax fraud / tax mistakes. So if there is an audit and someone finds a disrespecancy; they'll work together - with you - to find out how much you owe and what penalties apply. States are usually very serious and aggressive about it, especially these days with the budget.)

Skandiaavity fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Aug 6, 2012

peredur
Jun 5, 2005

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
OA IMS this Friday. Any heads up on what tech topics I should review?

Vilerat
May 11, 2002

peredur posted:

OA IMS this Friday. Any heads up on what tech topics I should review?

"How are you with 20kg bags?"

"50kg?"

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Vilerat posted:

"How are you with 20kg bags?"

"50kg?"

Oh come on, a body weighs more than that.

Of course, I suppose it all depends on how many bags you use. . . .

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Saho posted:

I've heard this before advise before and I know this is kind of a dumb question, but I've never really been in a position where networking is a 'thing'...

Any suggestions on how to get this done? For example, we have class mentors and individual mentors, should I be reaching out to these people? Think of things to ask?

It's a bitch in your first tour, because you don't know how to go about meeting these magical people who you're told will MAKE OR BREAK your career. Relax: it's easier than you think (if you're not a lazy git).

1. Don't be an rear end in a top hat. Nothing spoils your ability to network like the rumor that you're an rear end in a top hat.
2. Get out of your section and meet people in other sections. Volunteer for after-hours projects to help other offices. Sponsor newcomers, go out of your way to be friendly to TDYers. All of these are ways to get to know people.
3. Be really good at your job. Let your bosses and coworkers tell others about how good of a job you're doing, not you.
4. Try not to gossip about your coworkers. It's hard, and to a certain extent unavoidable, but really - do it as little as possible. (Caveat: if your coworkers are trying to decide on a position, and you know one of the applicants is an absolute terror to work with, state your case _diplomatically_.)
5. Play the eternal FS game of figuring out when and where you've served with mutual friends. Example: last night I talked to one of our A/RSOs at the chow hall, and I realized that I served in Saudi with the DS agent who is his son's godmother. Boom, instant connection.
6. Don't be an rear end in a top hat. Don't be that person no one wants to serve with. DON'T BE AN rear end in a top hat.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Business of Ferrets posted:

And how finely you chop it.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

the_chavi posted:

It's a bitch in your first tour, because you don't know how to go about meeting these magical people who you're told will MAKE OR BREAK your career. Relax: it's easier than you think (if you're not a lazy git).

1. Don't be an rear end in a top hat. Nothing spoils your ability to network like the rumor that you're an rear end in a top hat.
2. Get out of your section and meet people in other sections. Volunteer for after-hours projects to help other offices. Sponsor newcomers, go out of your way to be friendly to TDYers. All of these are ways to get to know people.
3. Be really good at your job. Let your bosses and coworkers tell others about how good of a job you're doing, not you.
4. Try not to gossip about your coworkers. It's hard, and to a certain extent unavoidable, but really - do it as little as possible. (Caveat: if your coworkers are trying to decide on a position, and you know one of the applicants is an absolute terror to work with, state your case _diplomatically_.)
5. Play the eternal FS game of figuring out when and where you've served with mutual friends. Example: last night I talked to one of our A/RSOs at the chow hall, and I realized that I served in Saudi with the DS agent who is his son's godmother. Boom, instant connection.
6. Don't be an rear end in a top hat. Don't be that person no one wants to serve with. DON'T BE AN rear end in a top hat.

Talk to people, don't be an rear end in a top hat, be good at your job.

Edit: Hey another TDY for a week!

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

the_chavi posted:

And how finely you chop it.

For some reason, the section of the pouch instructions that we have inside the mail room has the parts about "no human remains/crematory ashes" and "no weapons" bolded.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Diplomaticus posted:

For some reason, the section of the pouch instructions that we have inside the mail room has the parts about "no human remains/crematory ashes" and "no weapons" bolded.

Which is probably why we can't pouch ourselves new livers, no matter how badly we all need them...

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

the_chavi posted:

Which is probably why we can't pouch ourselves new livers, no matter how badly we all need them...
Hahaha

I'm in Recife for a week.

Nothing better than a caipirihna on the beach.

Also, try to TDY. You meet more contacts and network better that way ( be a low maintenance tdyer. Don't be one of those whiners about the room, taxis, etc. It goes back to not being an rear end in a top hat)

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TCD posted:

Also, try to TDY. You meet more contacts and network better that way ( be a low maintenance tdyer. Don't be one of those whiners about the room, taxis, etc. It goes back to not being an rear end in a top hat)

Very true. After staffing I don't know how many visits, from policy analyst on up, PLEASE be kind to your control officer/responsible person. We share war stories, and if you're a dick the word WILL get around. Examples of things not to do as a visitor to any post: check your Blackberry during official meetings, make local staff buy you a new curling iron because yours fried out at your last stop and refuse to pay the "inflated" price for it, cancel a key meeting we worked on for weeks to get because you would rather go shopping, get drunk at dinner with contacts.

All of these have happened on visits I've staffed.

Monkey Fury
Jul 10, 2001
I took the FSOT last year, passed, was smacked by QEP, blah blah blah, taking it again after coming home from an intensive 12-week Chinese program that ends next week -- will hopefully help boost that BIO score up some and give me more interesting stories to give the QEP folks. But I've been reading through some of thread and was wondering: for those of you who are doing the IMS job, what kind of education, job background and certifications did you folks have before being accepted?

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.

the_chavi posted:

Very true. After staffing I don't know how many visits, from policy analyst on up, PLEASE be kind to your control officer/responsible person. We share war stories, and if you're a dick the word WILL get around. Examples of things not to do as a visitor to any post: check your Blackberry during official meetings, make local staff buy you a new curling iron because yours fried out at your last stop and refuse to pay the "inflated" price for it, cancel a key meeting we worked on for weeks to get because you would rather go shopping, get drunk at dinner with contacts.

All of these have happened on visits I've staffed.

Especially don't do the BB thing when you're mid-conversation with fellow FSOs.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

Business of Ferrets posted:

whoa whoa, the pouch has a limited capacity.. and uh,...don't try to hide it in peanut butter is all I can say..

also if it hasn't been said yet: Don't be an rear end in a top hat. Don't be "that guy" (or girl).

Skandiaavity fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 6, 2012

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Skandiaavity posted:

whoa whoa, the pouch has a limited capacity.. and uh,...don't try to hide it in peanut butter is all I can say..

also if it hasn't been said yet: Don't be an rear end in a top hat. Don't be "that guy" (or girl).

All these comments about not being an rear end in a top hat leads me to believe the foreign service is full of assholes.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Not full of them; there are a few, just enough to be the cautionary "that guy".

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Omits-Bagels posted:

All these comments about not being an rear end in a top hat leads me to believe the foreign service is full of assholes.
For the most part, it's highly competitive to join the FS and all promotions are competitive above the usual admin promotion +-18 months in. Every 2-3 years you are forced to apply for a new job.

You can see why this could attract certain personalities that we're cautioning against.

Just don't be that guy. :)

Vilerat
May 11, 2002

Omits-Bagels posted:

"It varies from post to post".

I've been at a post where drat near the entire mission met for beers after work and it was the most amazingly chill and awesome work environment ever. You really felt appreciated and everybody pulled their own weight.

Then I've been to a post where two people didn't make tenure in a single year. It was a tiny post.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Omits-Bagels posted:

You try serving in a forty-person post where you're on lockdown 23 hours a day. You identify that one rear end in a top hat reeeeally quickly.

Kidding (mostly), but being overseas and working in a diplomatic bubble magnifies character flaws and quirks. If you're easy going and can find your happy place easily, it's manageable. Otherwise, you need a weekend away to recover your cool.

mtreecorner
Sep 23, 2011

Diplomaticus posted:

Not full of them; there are a few, just enough to be the cautionary "that guy".

I would say thus far I have seen far less assholes in the FS than in other fields. I have met many friendly and helpful people.

There is always a "that guy" though. The higher ups at orientation stressed that the NUMBER ONE reason people lose out on promotions is "being the person no one wants to work with"

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

mtreecorner posted:

I would say thus far I have seen far less assholes in the FS than in other fields. I have met many friendly and helpful people.

There is always a "that guy" though. The higher ups at orientation stressed that the NUMBER ONE reason people lose out on promotions is "being the person no one wants to work with"
Just a comment. New hire training != the field. I didn't really notice this until I was overseas. With that said, I think this is something that's trying to be screened out now in the hire process, but...

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
There was a funny story about a guy who was recalled from his first post, by orders of the Ambassador, three weeks after arriving. You really do meet all kinds of people.

Also, if you're having a party, for the love of god just invite everyone in your class (all cones). If anyone from FSI shows up just invite them too as a networking thing. There was an incident where someone got pissed they weren't invited.

The moral of that is: Even roses have thorns. Learn quickly to identify them, or they'll make it a point to stick out. Some may even prick you. :v:

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Ouch, one of the folks I OA'ed with got dinged by the FRP about 6 weeks after their clearance was adjudicated. I realize they are different standards but I imagine that is that relatively rare, to make it through the security clearance but to then be found unsuitable?

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
Not saying or implying they did anything wrong, but yes, I have been told they (HR) would do it with good cause. Whatever that means, I couldn't tell you. If their clearance was adjudicated, maybe that (issue) had something to do with it.

To elaborate; it appears Suitability is a whole-package affair. Security clearance is so you can handle/view certain information(/systems).

(Good cause is what I imagine to be like, if you're prone to extramarital affairs. You might make it through clearances. But if you're prone to that activity, at some point, you're likely to lose your clearance or get involved with the wrong person. In that kind of case I can see the rationale behind theoretical-HR's decision.)

That sucks, though. Is there an appeal process or is it actually a final determination?

coconutcrab
Dec 13, 2011
Thanks to all for the third tour bid tips, they are illuminating. Still learning all the ins and outs of IMS’ing. I got Guatemala for my first assign, totally psyched for the upcoming gig!

Vilerat
May 11, 2002
Unannounced FS-4 IMS position at my post for the 2013 Summer cycle.

Holla!

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Skandiaavity posted:

That sucks, though. Is there an appeal process or is it actually a final determination?

Yeah he was understandably vague about the reason but said they did tell him why they made that decision. Apparently there is an appeals process but if the appeal is denied there are no further steps to take.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Tyro posted:

Ouch, one of the folks I OA'ed with got dinged by the FRP about 6 weeks after their clearance was adjudicated. I realize they are different standards but I imagine that is that relatively rare, to make it through the security clearance but to then be found unsuitable?

I was held up (not dinged, just took a long time to process my review) in Final Suitability for 2 months because some douchebag made up some (demonstrably untrue) rumors about me. They eventually cleared it, but I had to give them a ton of documentation. I recall seeing 3 or 4 people dinged by Final Suitability on the yahoo groups in the past couple of years, though I have no idea why. At least one I know won their appeal.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
So today over office communicator Zoots and I were discussing the possibility of an all-FS Goon gathering. I heartily support this endeavor, as there is much fun to be had... and I also nominate his post to host, as Libya's not exactly on the top 100 of places to go have fun in the world.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with my plan.

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.

the_chavi posted:

So today over office communicator Zoots and I were discussing the possibility of an all-FS Goon gathering. I heartily support this endeavor, as there is much fun to be had... and I also nominate his post to host, as Libya's not exactly on the top 100 of places to go have fun in the world.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with my plan.

Less neckbeard, more pinstripe!

I fear for the front offices of the world, however. With all the OMS goons out there, I fear the missions of the world would grind to a halt.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
When would this be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
I am receptive to the idea. It depends :smug: