Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

terriyaki posted:

Aww crap, koodo currently does not offer visual voicemail. :(

Oh well, small price to pay for a better plan at a cheaper price.

Telus is totally loving me over one last time though. Right before the koodo girl could port my number over, the telus network went down so I'm stuck here twiddling my thumbs and using Starbucks' wifi like a chump.

Well played, telus. Well played.

I feel ya. I wanted to do a transfer of ownership for my telus line cause I have a koodo work line now and of course this system outage happens part way through the call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Kolta posted:

My fiance works for Telus and I work for Koodo and you would not believe the differences and impossibilities that the same company has. Same company, two complete different philosophies.

I'm a contractor for Telus and you would not believe the amount of money they spend choppering me into a cell site before we realise that the Telus landline guys are already there and we have to fly back. At $1000 an hour.

This is why your bill is so high.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009
SII X is launching at Koodo on August 10th for those of you who want a decent android and an upgrade from that Galaxy Ace.

ina di ground
Nov 4, 2010
Hey just a quick question for anyone who can point me in the right direction. I was sold a phone by Rogers which ended up becoming non-functional within a few weeks. A friend has given me a replacement, however he and I have so far been unsuccessful in unlocking it. His provider was Koodo and so we're having difficulty with transferring the networks. Is there any way we can do this without purchasing an unlock code? We assumed that this would simply be a matter of switching SIM cards and following what - in retrospect - I naively believed would be a simple automatic procedure without a bunch of phone industry hoops to jump through. Our Google searches regarding some kind of unlock code generator/database have proved fruitless, but the sheer amount of spam pages selling these codes that we pulled up tells me that there is A Way to do this without taking the phone into a Rogers outlet and paying them to unlock it for me.

Anyways, I'm entirely ready to accept that doing this through some internet circumvention of corporate technology is either a hopeful delusion or just a frankly inadvisable thing for an obvious layman like myself to be pursuing. The Rogers Stores are closed where I live until tomorrow and I would like to have a working phone by sometime tonight (which is the main reason I'm asking,) and if there are alternatives to getting an unlock code which aren't free but available at past 10 PM on aFriday I\d be interested in hearing about them too. And in the absence of practical advice, if anyone could break down what locking and having to unlock phones exists for I'd be happy just to know. Thanks

Aqualung
Oct 10, 2005

Don't worry guys, Ron knows the guy who drives the crane.

OK, what phone is it?

ina di ground
Nov 4, 2010
Sorry, it's an LG P500h Optimus.

Aqualung
Oct 10, 2005

Don't worry guys, Ron knows the guy who drives the crane.

No free way to do it, costs $2 on ebay and you probably get the code by tomorrow if you follow the instructions. Then put in the new sim and it will ask for the unlock code. When you buy it on ebay you will likely get instructions on how to do it.

Edit: $1.55

Aqualung fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 4, 2012

BafflerMeat
Mar 4, 2012

"I'M INCREDIBLY SUSPICIOUS OF INDIANS"
Thanks to everyone for the tips, but it turns out my nonexistent credit history prevents me from going on the Wind Supertab, so no galaxy nexus, s III or Huawei Ascend for me. I ended up getting chatted up by a pretty no-bullshit guy at The Source who sold me a Motorola Razr-V on the virgin dupertab for about 200$, activation fees and all inclided. I am very happy with this phone. It is molded to my gorilla grip and just feels good. Definitely glad I went with android, already totally blown away by all of the magical things this little slab of plastic does. Not sure how much use all of these little Virgin concert perks and stuff are going to be but it's nice to feel appreciated.

ina di ground
Nov 4, 2010
Thanks I followed your advice and the phone is unlocked and calling things.

ina di ground fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Aug 4, 2012

dahkren
Jan 11, 2006
So a little update about my galaxy nexus from Fido question..

I ended up getting the nexus from a store front in London and ended up paying around 400$ after Fido dollars and stuff.. the girl there confirmed it would be unlocked.

So I went to the Fido kiosk in Chatham to ask about the warranty if I change providers and the girls there were pretty convinced it wasn't unlocked (one even said her nexus didn't come unlocked), but I walked down to the virgin kiosk and they dumped a sim in it and made a call out, so long story short it is unlocked! Hurray.

I'm really glad to finally get away from Fido especially now that their plans arent very competitive, even through retentions.

Side question: does anyone's galaxy nexus get REALLY hot up near the camera? Even playing like logo quiz, my phone gets really hot to the point where you don't even want to touch it.. Up near the camera, is this common or should I try and take it back as defective?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
I believe that's normal with excessive use

waxluthor
May 28, 2003

dahkren posted:

I ended up getting the nexus from a store front in London and ended up paying around 400$ after Fido dollars and stuff.. the girl there confirmed it would be unlocked.

Side question: does anyone's galaxynexus get REALLY hot up near the camera? Even playing like logo quiz, my phone gets really hot to the point where you don't even want to touch it.. Up near the camera, is this common or should I try and take it back as defective?

You were able to get a nexus with fido dollars with no contract?

I'd say the heat near camera sounds normal too, mine does the same.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

In case anyone missed it, Mobilicity's back to school plans ($25 unlimited voice+text+data, $35 adds voice+unlimited North American+global text) are back and the Galaxy Nexus is down to $300. The BTS plans are lifetime, not limited to 12 months.

dahkren
Jan 11, 2006

rexelation posted:

You were able to get a nexus with fido dollars with no contract?

I'd say the heat near camera sounds normal too, mine does the same.

Yea, they changed the rules last month I believe, was able to buy it without signing a new contract and use my Fido dollars up so I don't feel like I'm losing anything by switching to koodo

Italy's Chicken
Feb 25, 2001

cs is for cheaters
Is it possible for Rogers to be even more slimey? Of course!

http://www.montrealgazette.com/business/Cellphone+case+challenges+Competition/7045071/story.html

Rogers believes their charter rights are being violated because they're not allowed to lie to customers without repercussions.

I hope the judge smacks them so hard they lose customers.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
I officially hate Rogers support. My sister is going over to Europe for a semester, and the University gives her a SIM card to use when she's over there (for local calls). She has an iPhone 3GS (updated well past the point where it can be easily unlocked). So we went down to the local Rogers store, rep just says "No"(without asking us any details), and goes back to playing on his phone.

So we called Rogers support, after about 30 minutes of hold and 3 transfers, I hit phone unlocking, who then refused to unlock it cause it's not off contract till December (we will still be paying for Rogers while she is away). I asked to speak to a manager and the the rep just hung up on me.

Finally, I went over the other nearby Rogers store, and got another rep who just said "No" and told us to call the tech support line.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
nm

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Rogers policy on unlocking iPhones (and probably any phone) is this: You need to be off contract and have an account in good standing, and it'll cost you $50. If you are still on contract, you must pay off whatever would be remaining (i.e. pay the early cancellation fee to be able to unlock)

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
You might as well replace "I hate Rogers support" with "I hate every carrier in Canada" as it's pretty much the same with any of them. While the Rogers employees may have been able to be a little more tactful, they really can't do anything to help you.

I'd really like to know what the justification for refusal to unlock iPhones are. I get the fact that they don't want your phone being used by the competition, but if you're locked into a contract anyway, what does it matter? What's the difference between them unlocking a phone for me and me buying an unlocked phone and keeping my old phone at home? They're billing for service I'm not using either way.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
The telus policy seems more reasonable - be on a postpaid plan for at least 3 months, account in good standing, $50.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I think the justification from Rogers' point of view is that the longer you're locked the longer you are required to get their super expensive roaming packages if you leave the country, rather than just picking up a cheap prepaid SIM wherever you visit. And that they "own" your phone until you pay off the subsidy, which is all the cancellation fee is these days.

edit: Not that I agree with any of that, personally. The moment it's in your hand you should be able to use whatever SIM you want with it, as long as you're carrying out the terms if your contract.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Locking should be illegal. It creates artificial switching costs, and artificial scarcity. If the CRTC had balls, they'd move to outlaw it.

Contracts are a completely adequate mechanism to ensure carriers are reimbursed for subsidies.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

DarkJC posted:

I think the justification from Rogers' point of view is that the longer you're locked the longer you are required to get their super expensive roaming packages if you leave the country, rather than just picking up a cheap prepaid SIM wherever you visit. And that they "own" your phone until you pay off the subsidy, which is all the cancellation fee is these days.

edit: Not that I agree with any of that, personally. The moment it's in your hand you should be able to use whatever SIM you want with it, as long as you're carrying out the terms if your contract.

Why did they sell me a Galaxy Nexus then? I'm going to be shoving a T-Mo SIM into it later this month when I cross the border.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

Eej posted:

Why did they sell me a Galaxy Nexus then? I'm going to be shoving a T-Mo SIM into it later this month when I cross the border.

It seems that they're all unlocked, so I guess it would have something to do with the phone itself, not the carrier.

CADPAT posted:

Hey OP, you might want to throw up something about the CCTS in the first post. They can help resolve certain types of disputes, especially if the service provider is in direct violation of the contract/whatever. It's free so if people are having a problem, at the very least its worth a shot and not a huge waste of time.

Done.

Canukian
Dec 13, 2005
I am a displaced Canadian

Eej posted:

That is Google doing that thankfully. The companies still put crap on our phones up here. I had to put a different version of ICS just to have the ability to upgrade over the air quickly and not wait for carrier push updates. I don't see why they need to be so involved.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeah, my point was if Rogers' plan for locking phones is so that you don't stick some other SIM in there to avoid paying out the rear end for roaming fees, why would they sell a pentaband factory unlocked phone? Or would the "lost" roaming income from number of people with a GNex swapping in SIM cards as needed be made up for the revenue from said people being locked into a three year plan?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Eej posted:

Yeah, my point was if Rogers' plan for locking phones is so that you don't stick some other SIM in there to avoid paying out the rear end for roaming fees, why would they sell a pentaband factory unlocked phone? Or would the "lost" roaming income from number of people with a GNex swapping in SIM cards as needed be made up for the revenue from said people being locked into a three year plan?

Presumably the sort of people buying flagship Android phones are not the same demographic willing to get soaked on roaming fees anyway. No point forcing the issue too much if it's a phone that some people will really want, and potentially switch carriers over.

As a related side note - I have a T-Mobile SIM card and account for occasional USA trips, and it's awesome. $2/day for unlimited talk, text, and 2G data. Highly recommended.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
That's not the sole reason for them locking phones, but it's an obvious plus. If you really want to break it down to the simplest reason, it's that a locked phone introduces yet another barrier into switching carriers.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

DarkJC posted:

That's not the sole reason for them locking phones, but it's an obvious plus. If you really want to break it down to the simplest reason, it's that a locked phone introduces yet another barrier into switching carriers.

Oh yeah, I agree totally. I actually said exactly this a few posts above. The imposition of a switching cost is probably a far better reason for locking than roaming revenue for the carriers, honestly.

I was just addressing the point of "why would they sell this thing given that it reduces the potential for roaming revenue".

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009
For those of you looking for some sweet prepaid plans, Koodo will be launching prepaid soon. From what I've gathered the only way you can lose your minutes/data is if the phone is inactive for 90 days. Should be launching sometime this month.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Canadian carriers are not legally allowed to prevent your from unlocking your phone because of the roaming issue.

They just don't have to do anything to help it along.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Hey anyone on Wind or Mobilicity. I ordered an AWS cell repeater out of the US but then ended up jumping onto that Koodo plan when they had it going last week.

Any interest in buying this thing from me? I got this kit:
http://jdteck.com/products/repeaters/consumer-repeater-kits/jd55-pr-standard-kit-grey

Should I do an SA Mart thread for it or something? It's unopened, sitting in its box in my basement right now.

I'll probably try to craigslist my 2 Nexus S phones soon too I guess. Oh and I'm located in Vancouver (Coquitlam)

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I might be, my girlfriend gets a really weak Wind signal at her place but wants to keep the service. I would need to do some research first though, $320 is a lot to drop on something that might not work.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

The Gunslinger posted:

I might be, my girlfriend gets a really weak Wind signal at her place but wants to keep the service. I would need to do some research first though, $320 is a lot to drop on something that might not work.

No problem, take your time. I guess it has an outside antenna that you have to install then run a wire through a wall or something.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Do none of the providers have cross Canada coverage anymore?

If theres one thing I cant loving stand about Canadian cellular is the local restrictions. So bullshit, every loving mobile plan in the US is nation wide.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

My mobilicity plan has north america wide unlimited calling?
http://mobilicity.ca/plans/

Pretty sure Wind does too.

EDIT-Yeah they do:
http://www.windmobile.ca/en/Pages/voice-plans.aspx

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

D C posted:

Do none of the providers have cross Canada coverage anymore?

If theres one thing I cant loving stand about Canadian cellular is the local restrictions. So bullshit, every loving mobile plan in the US is nation wide.

Koodo is nationwide.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I found it as an additional option for the big 3, I travel too much to go on one of the new companies.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

D C posted:

I found it as an additional option for the big 3, I travel too much to go on one of the new companies.

Koodo is Telus and has nationwide long distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Virgin has it as well, for the record.