Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
This looks fun, I might try it out later this month. I was looking through the trophies available for this game because I'm boring interested and found this gem.

quote:

Combo Crazy
You have completed all the Challenges! Funky Student would be proud.

I feel that's the only one I need to get just to appease Funky Student.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Cityinthesea posted:

No it isn't? I mean it's different but it's definitely not bad (she actually sounds like a high schooler instead of sounding like she's 30)

but oh man Labrys's voice is so hilarious.

Does Labrys have an Osaka accent in Japanese? Boston accents used to be the main way of translating that for dubs, though these days US southern accents are a bit more commonly used.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

zarron posted:

Amazon just sent me both my PS3 and 360 versions of this game. Also, holy poo poo the manual is huge and in color!

I noticed that too! It's so rare to get a nice manual nowadays. Go Atlus.

Stanly Coober
Nov 5, 2008

Perhaps the same could be said of YOUR religions...
Game owns, I'm signed up on the day 1 tourney as StanlyCoobs. Can't decide if I wanna stick with Chie or Labrys, I feel like Labrys can put out mad damage but I gotta work on her some more.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Cityinthesea posted:

but oh man Labrys's voice is so hilarious.

WASSUP WIT DAT?!

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
My Amazon pre-order wasn't going to ship so I decided to pick it up at a local EB instead. I got really lucky and managed to snag the bonus CD because they had extras.

I hope I don't regret buying the extra colours and glasses. I love persona so I just want to give it any extra support that I can.

Trampy Vampy
Mar 21, 2008

It don't mean a thing,
If it ain't got that swing.
Why is the ingame music so great, and the bonus CD so bad? :negative:

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
My copy arrived! :toot:

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
I joined the tournament, but I'm not exactly sure how this is going to go down, is there an IRC or something?

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
Bought this game today because it looked pretty fun. It turns out it's pretty cool. I really like Mitsuru but I can't seem to do a charge motions very well or fast enough to link in her combos. Is it a lot easier to do on a stick rather than a pad? Because this poo poo is killing me.

I'll probably enter a really bad Elizabeth into the tournament instead.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Dresh posted:

Does Labrys have an Osaka accent in Japanese? Boston accents used to be the main way of translating that for dubs, though these days US southern accents are a bit more commonly used.

It's Kansai in Japan, it's referenced in Story Mode. :ssh:

CaptainPoopsock
May 2, 2005

My dear cherry blossoms.. bloom in full splendor!

darealkooky posted:

I joined the tournament, but I'm not exactly sure how this is going to go down, is there an IRC or something?

Yep, irc.synirc.net #persona4arena. Let's get some lobbies going. :D

Correction: We are putting a PS3 lobby together now. :getin:

CaptainPoopsock fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 7, 2012

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
The 360 version came today! Just doing challenges and practice right now while waiting for the netcode to be fixed. It's a really minor thing, but it bugs me how the music doesn't loop properly in fights.

It also bugs me how I'll Face Myself isn't a selectable battle theme! :argh:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Mr. Trampoline posted:

It also bugs me how I'll Face Myself isn't a selectable battle theme! :argh:

It is against a CERTAIN ENTITY in Story Mode :ssh:

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

CaptainPoopsock posted:

Yep, irc.synirc.net #persona4arena. Let's get some lobbies going. :D

Correction: We are putting a PS3 lobby together now. :getin:

I'll join in after I install. Also how do I even get iirc to work?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Gaseous Snake posted:

I'll join in after I install. Also how do I even get iirc to work?

Use a client, or just be lazy and click this link.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

404GoonNotFound posted:

It is against a CERTAIN ENTITY in Story Mode :ssh:

I think he's getting at the fact it's in the single player mode, yet you can't pick it for online fights. It is a bit weird too, that P4's normal boss theme isn't selectable, but the final boss theme is selectable for online matches.

dygbert
Dec 9, 2011

I'm dygbert on PSN if anyone wants to farm wins. I'm really bad but this game is awesome. I play Random but I'll play Yu or Chie when I get my rear end handed to me to give myself a fighting chance.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Snagged me a copy and signed up to get destroyed in another fighting game!

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

I have been extra broke lately and since I'm always terrible at 2D fighters, I convinced myself to skip this one in order to save.
Unfortunately, as the release approached, my hype defenses weakened until yesterday, when I ordered it. Sorry, wallet. Should arrive tomorrow afternoon, UPS deities willing.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I like Persona 4, but I'm not done with it. Are there major spoilers for it in the game? I know some things, like characters, but I don't want the "mystery" revealed.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Portable Staplefrog posted:

Should arrive tomorrow afternoon, UPS deities willing.

Hopefully you have better luck than me! Apparently there was an "Emergency Beyond UPS' Control" over 8 hours ago, and my package has been MIA since then.

Hace fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 8, 2012

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Hace posted:

Hopefully you have better luck than me! Apparently there was an "Emergency Beyond UPS' Control" over 8 ago, and my package has been MIA since then.

Complain to Amazon even if it's not their fault. They'll usually throw some credit your way to make up for it.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

I picked this up today, and boy am I horrible at it. :v:
Is there a metatag for this ?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Hey anyone doing the challenge mode? I'm trying Yosuke 23 and it requires a launch and then 7 strong attacks. I get to 4 and then he stops. In the demo it seems he does a little launch on the 5th hit but I can't seem to get the timing right. Am I supposed to just jam on it or is there a pause?

Also I am in the terrible camp.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I've only played a little but I am also awful. I fought the computer a bit in versus and got comboed to hell and back (though I still managed to win most of the time).

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Anybody want to play with a total noob on the 360 version send a friend request on live to PureRok.

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

Getting 1st place is impossible...
I love how some of the Xbox360 matches will play pretty smooth and then the next round will be completely unplayable. Oh well, game is so much fun. I'll just play the other modes until the patch, come on Atlus/Arc!

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Nobody makes a fool out of Rohan Kishibe!
I was going to pass this up because I've never seriously played a fighter before, but then I saw some extra copies in my local game store and, well, more Persona? I couldn't resist. Sounds like a lot of people feel the same; hopefully we 360 players can get some online play going together once it's fixed.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Axle_Stukov posted:

I think he's getting at the fact it's in the single player mode, yet you can't pick it for online fights. It is a bit weird too, that P4's normal boss theme isn't selectable, but the final boss theme is selectable for online matches.

You have no idea how annoyed I am that Master of Tartarus isn't available at all.

Anyway, is there any actual confirmation for what the unlock conditions are for the other Navigators?

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I like Persona 4, but I'm not done with it. Are there major spoilers for it in the game? I know some things, like characters, but I don't want the "mystery" revealed.

Haven't dug too deep in story mode yet, but the only things spoiled from the True Ending route in P4 are (and neither of these are big at all) A) The main character does NOT die or meet a BAD END (which is pretty rare for a SMT game, actually) & B) Izanagi becomes Izanagi-no-Ookami (which is downright expected after P3).

If you really want to know the story, Persona 4 The Animation is up in full on Hulu. It pretty much covers the Good Ending route, but they're going to add an extra episode for the True Ending in the Blu-Ray boxset later this month.

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Aug 8, 2012

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Thanks, 404! I'll pick it up soon then!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
So does anyone have any advice on how to break a compulsive button mashing habit? I just got done with a quick run through Challenge mode, and once it gets into the segments where actual combos are involved, I just seem to reflexively press the same button multiple times in a row when it's not called for in the combo.

Like for example, part of the combo would be:

Jump + A
Crouch + B

Or something like that. I'll jump, hit A, then immediately hit A again without thinking before landing and crouching to hit B. Anyone have any advice for breaking myself out of that?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
If anyone wants to play, add jmcrofts on PSN. I'm brand new at this, trying to learn Kanji.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Jmcrofts posted:

If anyone wants to play, add jmcrofts on PSN. I'm brand new at this, trying to learn Kanji.

Sent ya an invite. Time to see if I've improved any.

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds
And dropping out of our little tournament. I've got way too much to learn before I can even consider going online.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

I don't know what sort of mental snag I am hitting, but I keep thinking the game layout is

code:
A B
C D

instead of what it actually is, and it keeps tripping me up while practicing combos. I might wind up switching over to that eventually though I did try briefly and it is annoying that if you change your buttons, the challenge mode combos do not reflect the new buttons in the listing.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Shadow Labrys is hard to fight against because you can't see what the hell is happening with her huge persona and axe taking up half the screen.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

W.T. Fits posted:

Or something like that. I'll jump, hit A, then immediately hit A again without thinking before landing and crouching to hit B. Anyone have any advice for breaking myself out of that?

Just slow down and be deliberate. I had this problem on one of Chie's challenge combos, the one where you combo B rampage into A > A > B > 2B. You just have to think about what you're doing and really try to only press the button when you need to.

This'll help you learn how to do things like delay/cancel the moves in the auto combo, too.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Gaseous Snake posted:

Sent ya an invite. Time to see if I've improved any.

Sorry my PS3 is loving up so I might not be able to play for a while. It started freaking out a while ago but I thought it was back to normal because I played this game for like 2 hours earlier today, but now nothing's working :<

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanly Coober
Nov 5, 2008

Perhaps the same could be said of YOUR religions...
Unfortunately something came up and I'm not gonna be around for the tourney tonight. Had some fun matches in the lobby though! This game owns.

• Locked thread