Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
I'm new to magic, and want to learn to draft. I looked through the OP, but are there any beginner guides to kind of teach me what cards to look for and what tactics to use or anytihng else I should know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Lone Goat posted:

I don't know have enough experience with Craterhoof to know if games go long enough for him to be relevant.

Not always, but if you can drop a geist trappers onto the board or something, it's usually pretty easy to survive until he lands. And then you win.

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

Phiberoptik posted:

I'm new to magic, and want to learn to draft. I looked through the OP, but are there any beginner guides to kind of teach me what cards to look for and what tactics to use or anytihng else I should know?

I'm not an expert, but I recommend watching the draft videos on channelfireball, or from our own imaduck, Ockhams Machete and rinksi. They are a time commitment, but seeing skilled players draft and then play multiple games with the deck they just drafted along with insightful commentary will help so much.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

rzal posted:

I'm not an expert, but I recommend watching the draft videos on channelfireball, or from our own imaduck, Ockhams Machete and rinksi. They are a time commitment, but seeing skilled players draft and then play multiple games with the deck they just drafted along with insightful commentary will help so much.

Yep, this and you also want to hone your Limited Card Evaluation Skills. Being able to quickly flick through a pack and identify the best cards in a vacuum and the best cards for the deck you are drafting is a HUGE skill.

The Limited Resources podcast is fantastic. Start with their set review for M13. They go through every single common and uncommon (the backbone of every limited deck) and give it a rating along with a reason for why. It can give you a really solid baseline to go off of, and then you can add your experience to that to improve your drafting skills. You can also go through their archives and listen to some shows on specific topics: Off the top of my head they have an old show dedicated to building limited mana bases which I found to be pretty helpful. If you listen to an older show they will usually talk about cards that were relevant at the time, but the concepts stay the same.

Core set is also a great place to hone your drafting skills because it's a lot more straight forward than the expert sets. BREAD will take you a long way in M13 draft!

Edit: Also, there aren't very many useful 'beginner's guide to drafting' because drafting is so dynamic. Beyond card evaluation skills, almost any advice you can give is anecdotal. That's why it's important to watch pros do some drafts and then to just dive in yourself.

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

I have never drafted M13 before so why not do it for the internet?

I think tonight can be effectively summarized by the Bulk and Skull theme song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jwup4ItqyNQ

rinski fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Aug 8, 2012

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

rinski posted:

I have never drafted M13 before so why not do it for the internet?

Index: The Indexing

Eibon
Oct 30, 2007

Brought to you by Fishy Joe's.

Hell yeah science chat with OM and rinski.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Phiberoptik posted:

In general, for newer players, what you want to keep in mind is A) try to stick mostly to creatures and creature removal, B) be mindful of your mana curve (i.e. the more 4-drops you have, the less valuable each one becomes), and mana costs (don't value a card that costs WW highly if you're not heavy white), and C) try to find synergies rather than picking all over the board; for example, in M13 Red, there's Mogg Flunkies and Reckless Brute, which make great 2nd and 3rd turn plays. That part's a little more difficult.

Draft is more complex than most people think; the amount of playable creatures at each mana cost and at each p/t level matters. If a set has a bunch of 2/2 flyers, then a 2/3 reach suddenly becomes a high pick. The problem with a lot of set reviews from pros (such as LSV's) is that they tend to just evaluate each card on its own merit - I respect LSV as a pro, but his set reviews seriously feel like they were banged out over an hour or so with little experience; you don't gain much by reading them. Just get experience yourself and try to figure out which cards work together and which cards don't play as good as you hoped.

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

Jackie Lee is drafting M13 on her stream, if you guys are interested. I will be her dutiful sidekick.

Edit: Done for the night. I feel like the Bulk and Skull theme was again appropriate. That last match. :(

rinski fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 9, 2012

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
Is there anywhere I can hire a good player to coach me for drafting 1-on-1 online? I'm looking to shorten the learning process a bit.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
Im sure a lot of goons would do it for free! Not me though. I managed to go 1-2 in a 4-pack sealed despite having Bonfire and Moonsilver Spear and resolving at least one in every game I played. Dunno how much I can help.

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

Phiberoptik posted:

Is there anywhere I can hire a good player to coach me for drafting 1-on-1 online? I'm looking to shorten the learning process a bit.

Man, it's a hobby; getting better by failing for a while is part of the fun.

If you really want some goons watching over your shoulder, try setting up a stream and broadcasting over twitch.tv, then you can get the whole hivemind advising you! Also laughing at you, so it's win/win!

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Vanilla Bison posted:

Man, it's a hobby; getting better by failing for a while is part of the fun.

If you really want some goons watching over your shoulder, try setting up a stream and broadcasting over twitch.tv, then you can get the whole hivemind advising you! Also laughing at you, so it's win/win!

There's a stream called Mistake's Mansion that I believe is a guy doing this.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

See Id love to do a stream for mtgo draft, but Im afraid people would harshly criticize me :ohdear:

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

Jet Set Jettison posted:

See Id love to do a stream for mtgo draft, but Im afraid people would harshly criticize me :ohdear:

I don't know why you're saying this as if it wasn't all the more reason to go through with it and exercise your :dealwithit: muscles.

"We're all in on the Boundless Realms / Door to Nothingness plan. Envious remarks go in the chatbox to the right. :smugdog:"

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

Jet Set Jettison posted:

I thought this before too, but after a while I realized I was just being neurotic. I think getting over that is reason enough to give streaming a shot. Plus, having so many different opinions on your plays helps you learn. You should do it, it's fun!

Edit:

Vanilla Bison posted:

I don't know why you're saying this as if it wasn't all the more reason to go through with it and exercise your :dealwithit: muscles.

Exactly!

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Alright alright, Ill try and stream sometime soon.

Im gonna draft the Angel's Mercy Mid-range archetype.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
What exactly do you need to stream mtgo?

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

MrBling posted:

What exactly do you need to stream mtgo?

LiveSteam is a streaming site that comes with free software. It's pretty easy to use, but it plays an ad beforehand. This is the best option if you're just trying to get started.

XSplit is a robust piece of software that can do cool stuff like add graphical overlays or multiple video sources (like a webcam), but it's a monthly subscription. XSplit is just the capture software, so you'd also have to pick a site to stream it on, like Justin.tv or Twitch.tv. OM and I use XSplit and Twitch because we wanted the additional options and she can write it off as a business expense so who even cares.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

AlsoD posted:

There's a stream called Mistake's Mansion that I believe is a guy doing this.
He used to be. Somehow he lucked into getting sponsored and now just plows through drafts he isn't paying for with little interest in getting better.

rinski posted:

I thought this before too, but after a while I realized I was just being neurotic. I think getting over that is reason enough to give streaming a shot. Plus, having so many different opinions on your plays helps you learn. You should do it, it's fun!
It helps that you have a really good, friendly attitude and don't go to either extreme of disregarding every mistake or raging out of control. It's kinda key while streaming to be nice and humored, but also to actually have some emotional investment in what you're doing.

Also drafting three stingers and just taking every opponent for a ride on the daru pain train, etc etc

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I literally cant wait till I forget that I'm miked and baby talk to my cat.

'hmm I should probably murd... OH HAWLLO DERE KITTAY'

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
If any goons wanna use skype and maybe watch each other draft / talk about it, give me a pm :) We can use teamviewer or mikogo or something.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

I figured I'd try out M13 today. Playing a wacky Talrand Izzet deck which seems to have some promise. Unless you get blown out G1 and G2 by a Hellkite and then a Yeva + Hellkite. Sigh.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I never got around to making a tutorial, but for next level streaming awkwardness do it in a google hangout. Then you can hear the people screaming at you as you make terrible picks like me :v:. Chances are unless you're an e-celebrity you won't get more than 9 others to fill it up either..

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I've streamed a draft in here, there were like 6 goons who were watching and helping me. It's fun, even if it is only a few people.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

So I gave it another shot and this happened.

Awwwww yeah :frogdowns:

edit: I think I'll toss in a tricks and scroll theif in leiu of a kraken hatchling and essence scatter. Thoughts?

That useless crap just saved my rear end G1!
VVVV

LeafHouse fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 10, 2012

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

LeafHouse posted:

So I gave it another shot and this happened.

Awwwww yeah :frogdowns:

edit: I think I'll toss in a tricks and scroll theif in leiu of a kraken hatchling and essence scatter. Thoughts?

9 creatures?! That's awfully low, especially with useless crap like touch of eternity. Put in scroll thief and take out touch of eternity.

e: also, I'd take out a land and put in welkin tern just because you really need more creatures.

Starving Autist fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 10, 2012

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Nehru the Damaja posted:

UG is generally AVR's strongest, most consistent deck but it's also made of enough self-evidently good cards that people go for it more heavily.

A rundown on decks that tend to do well in AVR:

UG: Tempo, tons of creature bounce, strong soulbonders making things well beyond the curve. In a vacuum, it's "the best deck." Among anyone who's played the set, you'll probably have to fight for it. Mist Raven is the best common in the set. If you get Nephalia Smuggler with it, everyone will hate you and you will crush them.

WR aggro: More explosive than any other deck in the format but not always consistent. Thatchers' Revolt is either a gigantic game-threatening bomb if you have Goldnight Commander, Havengul Vampire, Cathar's Crusade, or Riot Ringleader out (and it's pretty good with Vigilante Justice though not as bomby), or it's a really horrible pseudo-burn spell. Falkenrath Exterminator into Fervent Cathar can lock down the game for you starting at turn 3 or each can be mostly wasted.

Mono-black Seclusion: If you grab Homicidal Seclusion super early you can try to cut black off from the table and run ahead-of-the-curve beats with Seclusion. Just make sure you have some way to deal with it (like a sac outlet) if your loner gets Defanged. You can splash another color but you need a strong black base here, or you can splash seclusion in a slower deck of other colors. Black has some of the only reliable removal in the set, so if you're cutting black, grab Death Wind even higher than you might otherwise, because it's not going to wheel.

Bx Blood Artist: Less focus on loners, more swarms, get lots of value out of Blood Artist, Bone Splinters, etc. If you have seclusion and a sac outlet, sometimes you can play a horde style and then shift posture to Seclusion.

UW stall/skies: Walls, Galvanic Alchemist, angels, and big fat lategame beats. There's not a lot of removal in this set, so it's a totally valid strategy if you can survive early aggressive decks and not get in a bounce lock against tempo decks.

RG beats, UR tempo: They feel a bit lower tier than the others but they're serviceable.

(I seriously think I'm the only person here who really enjoyed AVR so if you want to know more, bug me on PM or something)

I won the AVR pre-release with UR. Of course, I had Deadeye Navigator and 3x Mist Raven, and a Bonfire (though I never even drew the Bonfire until rounds 5 and 6) and 3x Riot Ringleader + a Thatcher Revolt.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Ended up 3-0 without a single game loss! Good old T6 Planar Cleansing T7 Touch of Eternity. Nothin beats it! (Jace helped too I guess)

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Would anyone have built this pool differently? I thought white was a given because of the Sublime archangel but none of the other colors seemed good at all.

I pulled the divine favor for a show of valor.

Edit: 1-3 again. I feel like I'm throwing money away at this game because I'm terrible or I open terrible pools. I know it's my fault that I'm losing everything but it feels pretty lovely getting randomly hosed by turn 2 pro white exalted, turn 3 pro black exalted + tormented soul vs my no removal BW deck.

Virtue fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Aug 10, 2012

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Virtue posted:

Would anyone have built this pool differently? I thought white was a given because of the Sublime archangel but none of the other colors seemed good at all.

I pulled the divine favor for a show of valor.

I'm definitely in black there over green.

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude
Is there any way to see my deck/pool in between matches in an event?

dag01
Mar 9, 2004
for you to be inside of me is a delightful concept

Maha posted:

Is there any way to see my deck/pool in between matches in an event?

All draft/sealed etc decks are saved in a folder called Tournament Decks. You can go to deck editor, open up that directory and view the most recent deck. Should generally be your deck.

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude

dag01 posted:

All draft/sealed etc decks are saved in a folder called Tournament Decks. You can go to deck editor, open up that directory and view the most recent deck. Should generally be your deck.

Nice, thank you.
So here's what I'm working with:

I'm 2-0 so far, mostly on the back of my opponents blowing their removal too early.
Should I be green instead of one of these colors? It does have some playables and one of my two bombs, but none of the green versions looked too appealing. That dual land would help me splash Searing Spear, though.
Captain of the Watch is nice, but white looks too shallow.
If I stay in these colors, is this the build? Should I be splashing Islands for that Harbor Bandit, maybe a Void Stalker?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Id sneak a mark or another scorpion instead of trumpet blast.

Edit: and you have a quake? Nice pool.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Trumpet blast can be a blow out, but it work best in the "Look at me Im Krenko" deck or other token decks, so i would have also thrown a mark of the vampire instead.

I think splashing an island for a harbor bandit would not have been good idea. I think if you are running U/x, you could splash a swamp to play him, but since you were RB, splashing running one island probably isnt good enough for unblockable-island-kird-ape.

Overall though I think your deck is solid.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

LeafHouse posted:

Ended up 3-0 without a single game loss! Good old T6 Planar Cleansing T7 Touch of Eternity. Nothin beats it! (Jace helped too I guess)

I know you think touch of eternity is good because it "saved" you, but if you had a card that could actually help you win instead of preventing you from losing, you might not have been in that situation in the first place. You won despite having it in your deck, not because of it.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

I know you think touch of eternity is good because it "saved" you, but if you had a card that could actually help you win instead of preventing you from losing, you might not have been in that situation in the first place. You won despite having it in your deck, not because of it.

Great opinion!

Now shut up and watch LSV win games in draft where he plays Touch of Eternity.

Also, I like how you suggest adding Welkin Tern, a tiny creature that can barely block, into a control deck that will likely most likely win by resolving one of its 5+ mana spells.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Lone Goat posted:

Great opinion!

Now shut up and watch LSV win games in draft where he plays Touch of Eternity.

Also, I like how you suggest adding Welkin Tern, a tiny creature that can barely block, into a control deck that will likely most likely win by resolving one of its 5+ mana spells.

He only has one five+ mana spell that can win on its own, and that's Jace. The rest of his deck is pretty much removal and weenies, which I would be trying to win with as soon as possible rather than stretch out the game so I can play touch of eternity. Also, just because LSV used a card once to good effect doesn't mean it should just go in any deck that has the mana for it (LSV also had stuff like boundless realms and rhox faithmender to actually make good use of the card, unlike LeafHouse).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

He only has one five+ mana spell that can win on its own, and that's Jace. The rest of his deck is pretty much removal and weenies, which I would be trying to win with as soon as possible rather than stretch out the game so I can play touch of eternity.

No, that's a control deck. It doesn't have nearly enough creatures to beat down, but most of his dudes are good at buying time (either because they block well, or because they have lifelink.) Staff of Nin provides inevitability, not just Jace.

quote:

Also, just because LSV used a card once to good effect doesn't mean it should just go in any deck that has the mana for it (LSV also had stuff like boundless realms and rhox faithmender to actually make good use of the card, unlike LeafHouse).

I agree, I don't think Touch of the Eternal is a great maindeck card here. It's not unplayable by any means, and there are matchups where I'd side it in, but I'm not sure it's good enough to be in the main. Rhox Faithmender is not really a good combo with Touch, incidentally.

I also don't think there's any reason to play 18 lands in that deck. I'd have probably gone -Touch, +Scroll Thief +Tricks. Tricks of the Trade is amazing with a bunch of the creatures in that deck. I'd probably try to fit Primal Clay in too, although I'm not sure what I'd have taken out. Maybe Watercourser.