Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NatashaQuick
Jun 30, 2007

No Mr. Bond,
I expect you to die.

ChairmanMeow posted:

you gotta keep them separated

If you're under 18 you won't be doin any time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Invalid Octopus posted:

Nah, frogdogs can do Schutzhund too. This guy was BOG at Crufts in 2011, has the dumb rear, and is SchH3. I mean, he doesn't have the worst back end I've seen, but it's not great.

Oh yeah, just generations upon generations of showring or untitled dogs leading up to schutzhund seems weird. In a good way, it shows the capability is still in the bloodlines I guess.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
I had to hold a pelican with a dislocated wing while it got euthanised today. :(

I had no idea they were so light, not to mention soft. The back of its neck was like the softest baby puppy. And its beak felt like droopy chicken skin.

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
I think there's a tendency (generally, throughout the dog world) to assume that because a dog has a certain 'undesirable' conformation, it will be totally incapable of performing its given function, or incapable of performing without injury. This happens with snobby show folks and snobby working folks both :). In my opinion, the best way to truly understand conformation is 1) learn anatomical and colloquial terms related to structure, so that you can describe what you see when a dog stands in front of you, and 2) observe dogs in the field, paying attention to the conformations of dogs who perform well and those who do not, while doing your best to remain absolutely impartial. I say this after having spent years falling into the trap of prejudging dogs based on their conformation alone :).

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Oh no, I'm well aware some triangle dogs can actually do some sports well, but man they're pitiful to look at. :( I feel like their back-end would easily roll over and break like a slinky or something.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Skizzles posted:

Oh no, I'm well aware some triangle dogs can actually do some sports well, but man they're pitiful to look at. :( I feel like their back-end would easily roll over and break like a slinky or something.

Yeah, I was surprised because most showring GSDs don't have the drive or nerves for schutzhund. Not because of physical issues, just frogdog doesn't equate to ScH in my mind.

I saw a showring style GSD at the farmers' market a few weeks ago. He looked like he was limping, there was just so much action in his back legs as he walked. It was definitely eye-catching :(

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Is that a normal german shepherd thing? :stare:

E: And in the gallery there's a few normal-ish looking dogs. But god, those breeders are scraping the ground.

If you're talking about the ears, those appear to be glued together to help them stand after the leather hardens, post-teething age. So yes, it's normal.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
^^^ That is... that is a thing they do? :stare:

So I learned the local pit rescue in town doesn't like me and "does not view [me] as an ally" just because a long time ago I disagreed with them on Facebook about their ideas on training lol. I guess I should feel Special and Important to have garnered so much disdain over something so petty. :allears:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Skizzles posted:

So I learned the local pit rescue in town doesn't like me and "does not view [me] as an ally" just because a long time ago I disagreed with them on Facebook about their ideas on training lol. I guess I should feel Special and Important to have garnered so much disdain over something so petty. :allears:

The label of ally is so self righteous anyways and if they're going to hold a grudge about disagreeing about something on facebook then they're pretty loving stupid. But you know, maybe next time you'll remember to just shut up and go with the ~group~.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Skizzles posted:

:tipshat: That's hilarious. Honestly, if they react like that to something on facebook, they're not worth your time. I'd suggest even maybe posting a 'look at these shmucks' thing on facebook, but that might be a bit petty.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Skizzles posted:

Usually shepherds get taped instead of glued but yes. All sorts of breeds get their ears glued just right for shows. In the grand scheme of things I have trouble getting worked up about some sticky ears but they sure look doofy for a while.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Skizzles posted:

What could be more adorable than a dog with a teepee for a head?

This thing is getting his ears glued asap- one is getting all kinds of floppy now that his baby teeth are falling out.

Not really going to do that

NatashaQuick
Jun 30, 2007

No Mr. Bond,
I expect you to die.

Skizzles posted:

So what does that mean, they don't want you volunteering, helping raise awareness of them, or what? If so then gently caress them, their pettiness is ultimately hurting the dogs.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Invalid Octopus posted:

Nah, frogdogs can do Schutzhund too. This guy was BOG at Crufts in 2011, has the dumb rear, and is SchH3. I mean, he doesn't have the worst back end I've seen, but it's not great.

To be fair (and a total rear end, I guess) that's a West German Showline dog, not an American one. :eng101: The German line dogs will usually have SchH3 titles because it's a requirement to have them bred. Because of that, they tend to have a more natural aptitude towards the sport in their lines (although, you're still likely to see some weak nerves, more than you would with actual working line dogs, anyway).

At any rate, although it's completely possible for a dog of ANY line to compete in any sport, you're unlikely to see it just because of the natural tendencies of the temperaments in the lines. Like any breed, the dogs bred JUST for show tend to get watered down because a softer temperament is easier to handle in the ring and make it easier to place puppies, not to mention their structure will slow them down. You'll always run across flukes that will be semi-decent at the sport, but you'll have a lot more work ahead of you to get titled, and you're just not going to be able to compete at the same level as dogs who were actually bred for the sport.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I love Nibbler's face in this picture.

He got in there on his own, sock and all.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Holy poo poo my BC puppy is being born right now :aaa: I should go to bed but I don't think I can. There's four pups born already, three male and one female, all tricolor.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

:dance: Rix, that's so exciting!!

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
Beau is nutless and coned! For shame, Beau. For shame.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Rufus En Fuego posted:

Beau is nutless and coned! For shame, Beau. For shame.

That'll be Max on Friday! So many cone of shame pictures will be taken.

There's some idiot in my complex that likes to let his little dachshund puppies run around outside off leash, despite the fact that there's a very large and very dog aggressive dog who also lives in this complex who could probably eat them in one bite :downs: The DA dog's owner is very good about distracting his dog when other dogs are around, but if one of the little bite-sized puppies romps right up to him, welp.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
Puppy has still had no accidents and is still awesome in his crate. He can also sit, walk on a leash, "drop it," "get it," and is learning to come when we call.

He has, however, given me two nosebleeds today. With his head. He is also going to bay his head off when he's older and his bark is already borderline-baroo and nearly shakes the walls. My mom thinks we will be able to teach him to never ever bark under any circumstances and that as long as we do not encourage baroo-ing he will never "learn" to do it!

And,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEeNvPn2Fdk

He still doesn't have a name. My mom is agonizing over a list of yuppie names. I wanna name him Gumbo. :banjo:

They're still fighting over him constantly but they're mostly loving off and letting me deal with him so whatever.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Name him Gumbo. When they object, demand a name out of them right that very second.

And yaaay, Frankie has someone to play with :neckbeard:

Nannypea
Feb 20, 2006

Faster, you naughty little monkey!

I need to borrow either of them to play tug with Hank.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Superconsndar posted:

Puppy has still had no accidents and is still awesome in his crate. He can also sit, walk on a leash, "drop it," "get it," and is learning to come when we call.

He has, however, given me two nosebleeds today. With his head. He is also going to bay his head off when he's older and his bark is already borderline-baroo and nearly shakes the walls. My mom thinks we will be able to teach him to never ever bark under any circumstances and that as long as we do not encourage baroo-ing he will never "learn" to do it!

And,

He still doesn't have a name. My mom is agonizing over a list of yuppie names. I wanna name him Gumbo. :banjo:

They're still fighting over him constantly but they're mostly loving off and letting me deal with him so whatever.

Gumbo is a GREAT name. I'll always think of him as Gumbo. :banjo:

Also I love that video. Frankie :allears:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Hahaha Poor Frankie's smooshy face just couldn't take the tugging anymore. And puppy was so proud to win. :3:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Super, I'm not sure what I expected you to sound like, but that wasn't it.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

My Dog Voice

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
Frankie's growl :staredog: Puppyyyy :3:

Superconsndar posted:

My Dog Voice
People are always shocked at my Cat Voice. Its like several octaves higher than my normal voice.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

I actually attempt to at least kind of restrain Dog Voice in videos. irl it just becomes this indecipherable shrill squeak.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

ladyweapon posted:

Frankie's growl :staredog: Puppyyyy :3:

People are always shocked at my Cat Voice. Its like several octaves higher than my normal voice.

This is a well-known phenomena when faced with a dog/catte/etc. The voice will go up in relation to how cute you find the pet. :colbert:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

NatashaQuick posted:

So what does that mean, they don't want you volunteering, helping raise awareness of them, or what? If so then gently caress them, their pettiness is ultimately hurting the dogs.

Well, we've been emailing back and forth with some of their members regarding the lovely trainer (they have a lot of experience with her doing lovely things and want to shut her down as well). There is a case regarding a particular dog who killed another dog and redirected on the owner. I was sort of acting as the intermediary between everyone and the CCPDT about lovely Trainer. But they refused to give me information regarding aforementioned dog and prefer to give it directly to the CCPDT themselves. Which is fine. I understand, since there may be legal issues with that case. But throwing in all the bullshit about how I've criticized them and "don't view me as an ally" was completely unnecessary.

Supposedly on an article about said dog I said some Not Nice things about them there too. I remember saying Not Nice things about lovely Trainer, but I can't really remember if I said anything about them (plus I posted under a pseudonym) so I think they may have confused my comment for someone else's. Admittedly, yeah, I probably gave them a little more flak than they deserved. And while the organization is run by a bunch of immature children who use prong collars as a massive crutch, I don't have anything else against them and support their rescue efforts.

IN HAPPIER NEWS, we got a new client at daycare today. She is a handsome brindle English Mastiff. :3:

edit: Don't tell the other dogs but this one is my favorite.

Skizzles fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 9, 2012

ToiletOtter
Jun 18, 2007

Our Sammy singing a Serious solo Song.
Frankie sounds like a lawnmower with a bad air-filter. It's adorable.
Name him Gumbo, call him Gumbo and he will be Gumbo.

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

Superconsndar posted:

You know, there have been times where I haven't posted video because I thought my doggie encouragement to "Geddit dog, you geddit! good dog." Sounded too much like you. I no longer have that concern.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Superconsndar posted:

My Dog Voice

I am so happy when other people also have a Dog Voice. A friend speaks conversationally to her dog and it seems so mature and adult to do that, to just talk to your dog.

Me? "Oh my poor poor doggy, is your ear bothering you? C'mere my beast, you poor poor beast" in a tone only bats and dogs can hear.

NatashaQuick
Jun 30, 2007

No Mr. Bond,
I expect you to die.
I talk to my catte like he's a dog but it helps my case that he responds well to it! He'll do anything for praise. :shobon:

Skizzles posted:

Well, we've been emailing back and forth with some of their members regarding the lovely trainer...

Yeah, the dogs are the ones losing out here. They just assumed you said stuff about them on a public site? Sounds like they're putting effort into making enemies.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

adventure in the sandbox posted:

I am so happy when other people also have a Dog Voice. A friend speaks conversationally to her dog and it seems so mature and adult to do that, to just talk to your dog.

Me? "Oh my poor poor doggy, is your ear bothering you? C'mere my beast, you poor poor beast" in a tone only bats and dogs can hear.

Other people: 'good dog.'

Me: 'WHO'S a good little puppy? Who's a good little princess paws? What a good girl you are, squiggles!'

:saddowns:

A friend of mine watched some of my videos on YouTube and laughed at my Dog Voice. Somehow it's even more terrible in videos than irl

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
I sing songs to my kitten about how whiny he is and wax lyrical about how hard a life he must lead as a spoiled kitten princess :colbert:

There's a reason I never said anything in the few videos I posted.

Edit: \/\/\/ Congratulations! Now just a short wait until you have a squirming, wriggly little ball of energy to dote on :)

Tamarillo fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Aug 9, 2012

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Rixatrix posted:

Holy poo poo my BC puppy is being born right now :aaa:
There are now eight more Border Collies in the world. One of them is very probably mine. I'm happy :)

Edit. Super, Gumbo is gorgeous and Frankie sounds terrible. I made an mp3 out of them for Rho, because he got worried about Frankie gargling.

Rixatrix fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Aug 9, 2012

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Rix, if you had everything completely your way, what would your preferences be for sex & color? :3: I love hearing what other people want in their puppies. You're getting a pup for agility, right? Does that mean you're likely to have a more intense, driven dog? I could never own a BC, I think I'd make it crazy. I have a lot of respect for people who can do it!

Re: Dog voice, I'm definitely worse at work than at home. With dogs that are used to different people/commands or aren't even trained, they respond really well to changes in pitch. Buddy, on the other hand, responds TOO well. He's the type that will get WAY too ramped up, so you have to hold it back if you're giving him praise while you're in the middle of something. The full on dog voice is reserved for finishing a task so he's free to be an idiot. :3:

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Greycious posted:

I just heard from my boss this giant newfie we groomed was put to sleep...we don't know why yet. :(

I don't know why I'm so crushed, it was just a dog I groomed every 8-10 weeks...but he was so big and sweet. One of his owners also passed away not too long ago.(The one who took the most care of him). I'm sure that has something to do with it...

It's just so sad. :smith:

I found out the next day that the dog is actually ALIVE.

Someone apparently told my boss he was put to sleep, without knowing their poo poo. :psyduck:

Whatever, just happy I get to groom our massive buddy soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Superconsndar posted:

My Dog Voice

Outside I talk conversationally with my dog (I guess that sounds weird, but its all pretty normal stuff like, "You aren't going to get that squirrel!" and "You sure showed that bee".) but inside I will call him names like squgglebutt, pup-a-lup (I have no idea) and in order to get him to play with toys, I will literally run around with the toy saying "Yaaaay I'm having fun" and then he tries to herd me and get the toy. I did it yesterday and I got him to play with and chase a frisbee that he'd never even looked at before.

• Locked thread