Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squidtamer DA
Jun 3, 2007
Squirts ink when provoked

Zoe posted:

Shepherd's Crossing

I wanted to add that if you get the first one for the PS2, there's no marriage system. HOWEVER you do get a pretty fun (to me at least) dog battling game where you use your dogs to take down things like coyotes and bulls for points and items. I honestly preferred the first one more because it's a bit more lighthearted. You don't get the ability to leave your farm and cook though, but there's some fun cut scenes and Brammy the Duck talks to you from time to time. Also, the game is easier to find in stores (there were 10 copies at my local Toys R Us in the bargain bin) and it's running about 10 bucks right now.

You still get to go all :black101: on your livestock though. Nothing like the yearly marmot harvest.

Edit: Oh and apparently there's a PSP version of it out too if that helps.

Squidtamer DA fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I've never seen the PS2 version for sale anywhere. I'll have to check my local bargain bins.

sexy wheely
Oct 11, 2008

Shirec posted:

I hate to be a downer, but I would say no. It's not very similar to Harvest Moons in regards to depth/longevity. I didn't think the characters were very good either, and I have a hard time remembering anything I liked about the game, which is surprising for a game that I beat more than once. I'd pick it up for $5, but not more than that. Do you only have a PSP? Or could you get a DS game?

I have a 3ds, which I hear is getting HM GBC "soon". I was almost hoping for a reason to play my Vita more :{

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

11wheels posted:

I have a 3ds, which I hear is getting HM GBC "soon". I was almost hoping for a reason to play my Vita more :{

Tale of Two Towns, which is also on 3DS, is pretty drat good.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I've played the harvest moon games for a long time. In fact I think I own more in the Harvest Moon series then I do with any other series. I managed to pick up Rune Factory 3. Its really fun and I'm enjoying it, but...

Why, why am I getting hit by tornadoes every other day :negative: I may as well forget farming till it stops (if it does).

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
My one legit complaint about RF3 is that once the tornadoes start the first summer they never loving end. They're just one of the random weather patterns that can show up. I'm sure it's a bug because holy poo poo do they show up a lot.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I must be extremely lucky because I beat the game without a single tornado showing up.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

After the first summer I got so paranoid about the constant tornadoes that I'd drop everything every three hours and save my game just in case. Savescumming is about the only way to avoid them unless you're ridiculously lucky.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I had maybe one or two tornadoes in the summer season in RF3 each year. Could they have toned it down in the European version? Actually I'm not even sure I played the European version, it might have been the NA version.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I don't want to get anyone too excited here, but I visit Natsume's website every now and again and I saw this for their online store:

I haven't picked up a harvest moon game since the original DS one, but with Two Towns for $20 and a cheap-looking tote I'd never take out in public maybe I just will pick it up! Cheaper than amazon at least.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Everytime I read about people not having tornado problems I just wanna steal your copy. Its bad, I assumed (wrongly) that the dungeons wouldn't be effected so I planted a ton of strawberry plants in the spring dungeon. As time goes on I get reduced to a mere 3 plants :smith:

It seems to be a summer only thing though thankfully. Normally I would make do with tornadoes and whatnot in other harvest moon games but those happened like once every 2 weeks.

So I'm nearing the end of fall on the first year, I just realized at a point, the stuff your monsters produce are worth more raw then cooked. I was slashing my profits by a third cause I would turn rank 10 3k gold milk into 1k ice cream. I actually like this though, I always felt more like a cook who got his own ingredients then a farmer in a lot of harvest moon games.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Good soil will prevent most damage from the tornadoes. I still had to reset my save twice, but after improving all the soil, I stopped caring; I'd lose three or four vegetables at most. And they weren't that frequent, anyway.

Night Gaunt
Jan 9, 2007

Natsume posted:

This Yak is looking for a loving home, and is the official pre-order bonus for Harvest Moon: A New Beginning, exclusively for Nintendo 3DS! We'll announce next week how to acquire your own bundle of fluffy goodness ^_^

Their pre-order toys have been so cute lately. :3:

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

I, too, have long felt an empty, gnawing, 'tote bag that actually being seen with would fill me with shame'-shaped hole in my life. Thank you, Hondo, for showing me the way to finally fill it.

Had some good ol' times with FoMT but I won't have that GBA slot forever--haven't been all that excited by what I've heard of most of the newer games, but Two Towns seems pretty decent.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Zoe posted:

Had some good ol' times with FoMT but I won't have that GBA slot forever--haven't been all that excited by what I've heard of most of the newer games, but Two Towns seems pretty decent.
Upgrading to the 3DS gave me a pretty good excuse to obtain a GBA micro, and pretty much only to play FOMT. Two Towns was OK, but the days were too long and there wasn't enough to do. Looking forward to A New Beginning.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

And they weren't that frequent, anyway.

For me, in summer I was getting them pretty much every other day. Though I didn't really improve my soil first summer. I'm on my second spring, and I've upgraded my entire plot of land. Maybe when second summer comes it isn't as crazy.

So I was curious, how exactly does upgrading companions work? I understand I can only give them the type of weapon they use for them to use it. So Raven would only get shortswords. How does the second item slot work? Is it just accessories or can I slap on a shield or boots there?

And upgrading monsters, I've read if I give them an item like a wolf fang, all the bonuses I'd get from upgrading a weapon gets applied to the monster permanently? So I could give a monster scales and they'll be able to absorb HP, maybe feed them a ton of scorpion tails and they'll get criticals like crazy?

And lastly, is it true you don't lose any friendship or love points? So after getting monsters to 10 friendship I don't have to waste time brushing them?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I got tried of Two Towns before the end of the first year. Don't quite know why. Maybe because I chose the animal town and I didn't care for the animal care. Maybe I should try again in plant town.

I strongly prefer Grand Bazaar, certainly one of my all-time favorite HM/RF games.

Revol fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 30, 2012

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

Revol posted:

I got tried of Two Towns before the end of the first year. Don't quite know why. Maybe because I chose the animal town and I didn't care for the animal care. Maybe I should try again in plant town.

I don't think they ever tell you this in game (and it took me a while to figure out) but even if you are living in animal town, you can still use the farm in plant town. You just have to move there to upgrade the fields. Once I did that, I spent most of my time living in animal town and just running over there to water plants and harvest.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Star Guarded posted:

Upgrading to the 3DS gave me a pretty good excuse to obtain a GBA micro, and pretty much only to play FOMT. Two Towns was OK, but the days were too long and there wasn't enough to do. Looking forward to A New Beginning.

I played FoMT a ton a while back, but I got to the point where my field was full, fairies were doing all the harvesting and taking care of animals, and I had a ton of money. I quit playing because I didn't know what to do anymore. I think fairies kinda killed the game for me.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I finally got my awesome tote bag! :keke: And also Tale of Two Towns, which I'm really enjoying so far so I hope all you naysayers are just dumb people with wrong opinions and it keeps being fun forever.

Reposting from the HM64 LP since it probably should have gone in this thread anyway:

Zoe posted:

So I just got A Tale of Two Towns in yesterday and so far I'm loving it.

I know I read some complaints about there not being enough to do, but I can happily waste a whole day just riding my horse around on the mountain (with a cart! :neckbeard:) and collecting stuff so I don't see that ever being a problem for me.

Thankfully that hideous Popuri is nowhere in sight, an incredibly gay man gave me a new cooking pot and in general the new NPCs all seem like very nice fake anime people (except the mayor of Konohana, she's kind of a bitch). I like the request board, I've made my peace with the shipping bin being in town, and the only complaint I really have so far is that none of the shopkeepers will stand at their counters! :argh: And also there's a lot of stuff (tools, etc.) I haven't figured out how to get yet, though I assume some of that might require befriending the crazy panda man in Konohana. I think I'll take him some bamboo later, he'll probably like that.

Anyway the whole game just looks beautiful, it's oozing with charm and it reminds me why I love Harvest Moon. I hope when I die I go to Heaven and there's a goofy mayor and he's all :tipshat: 'Welcome! Let me show you to your farm!" :allears:

e: Um I guess I probably should have posted this in the main thread

But seriously though how do I buy a watering can and an axe and is it cool for my cow to live in a barn forever because I don't mind pushing it outside right now but once I get more I know it'll get annoying fast. This game needs, like, a cow whistle or a cow leash or something. Or a cow saddle.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Aug 5, 2012

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

Zoe posted:

But seriously though how do I buy a watering can and an axe and is it cool for my cow to live in a barn forever because I don't mind pushing it outside right now but once I get more I know it'll get annoying fast. This game needs, like, a cow whistle or a cow leash or something. Or a cow saddle.

This should help http://fogu.com/hm10/basics/tools.php

As for the cow problem, start buying cats and dogs (big dogs for cows, small dogs for other barn animals, cats for chickens). Once you get their friendship levels up, they will move the animals in and out of the barn for you everyday. They will also move them inside if it starts raining. Very helpful.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I've been digging around my parent's basement trying to find my old copy of BTN and a memory card so I can play it. I love the early series and have recently spent a lot of time playing the SNES version on my phone, but I could never get into the more recent releases. They all seemed to have dove deeply into anime territory and it really makes me want to play them less. I never played any of the wii ones, are they ~uguu infused too?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

PokeJoe posted:

They all seemed to have dove deeply into anime territory and it really makes me want to play them less. I never played any of the wii ones, are they ~uguu infused too?

Amen to that. Sadly, you bet your rear end they are. Gone are the days of zen platitudes and humanish, if two-dimensional, characters due to cart constraints.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

God dammit, I guess I'll keep looking for Back to Nature.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Fru Fru posted:

I don't think they ever tell you this in game (and it took me a while to figure out) but even if you are living in animal town, you can still use the farm in plant town. You just have to move there to upgrade the fields. Once I did that, I spent most of my time living in animal town and just running over there to water plants and harvest.

Yeah, I know that. But I find it pretty tedious to have to do that.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

I've been digging around my parent's basement trying to find my old copy of BTN and a memory card so I can play it. I love the early series and have recently spent a lot of time playing the SNES version on my phone, but I could never get into the more recent releases. They all seemed to have dove deeply into anime territory and it really makes me want to play them less. I never played any of the wii ones, are they ~uguu infused too?

The DS harvest moon games have anime art but that's really it. The characters are rather normal and almost a little mundane. There's nothing really anime about the games at all other than the art style.

Rune Factory is a different beast altogether. Those are anime as gently caress.

edit: I guess they are a anime in that all the love interests look at least 5 years too young and make you extremely uncomfortable. But that's a hallmark of the HM series, even BTN and the original SNES game had that going for it. Why does Natsume want me to marry a 12 year old so bad? What the gently caress, stop that, it makes me not want to play your games.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Aug 7, 2012

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

^ Natsume seems to be getting a little better with this. In TTT the boys and girls you can marry look 15-16. Still too young but at this rate the marriage candidates in future games might look old enough for it to not feel weird.

The White Dragon posted:

Amen to that. Sadly, you bet your rear end they are. Gone are the days of zen platitudes and humanish, if two-dimensional, characters due to cart constraints.

Most of the DS Harvest Moon games weren't so bad, in my opinion. They're a bit more cartoonish than before but nowhere near as bad as Rune Factory. I haven't played any recent console HM games, so I can't really comment on that.

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Aug 7, 2012

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Playing Tides of Destiny, I've got my Spring island set up with 2 goblins, an ant and 2 spring flowers. All I see are potatoes, tomatoes and moonflowers. Which is okay, I'm making money hand over fist and I can give the latter to Maerwen, but I'd really like some of the other stuff the monsters have to offer. Am I doing something wrong or am I just having bad luck with what they choose to plant?

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Tsurupettan posted:

Playing Tides of Destiny, I've got my Spring island set up with 2 goblins, an ant and 2 spring flowers. All I see are potatoes, tomatoes and moonflowers. Which is okay, I'm making money hand over fist and I can give the latter to Maerwen, but I'd really like some of the other stuff the monsters have to offer. Am I doing something wrong or am I just having bad luck with what they choose to plant?

You have to get their affection/friendship in order to get them to plant everything it says they can. It still is a crap shoot on what they will plant though. I have the worst luck with cucumbers, anything that can plant those takes over my whole farming area.

Spills the Moon
Aug 20, 2008
I really must nth all the Rune Factory 3 love.
It has that unique quality that you know makes a game great (and I feel has been missing from any Harvest Moon game I've played since Back to Nature) in that the closer I get to finish the main story line and getting married the more I regret the inevitable ending of the game. I'll probably start a new game when I'm done just to see what it's like to marry another of the girls.

Rune Factory 4 can't come soon enough.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Did RF3 have an actual 'ending'? I didn't think it did. I considered my marriage to be my 'ending'.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Well, there's a bit more story/dialogue to go through with your wife, and then she has a kid, and then nothing else happens, so it's pretty much the end. Unless you want to see the kid who looks nothing like you, growing up using your hard-earned money. Yeah, I'm bitter, Shara! You are the worst wife ever.

Hey, and Rune Factory 4 just came out in Japan. It's being sold to nearly as many women as men, so it seems they got a good balance there for every gender to enjoy the game.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Saoshyant posted:

Well, there's a bit more story/dialogue to go through with your wife, and then she has a kid, and then nothing else happens, so it's pretty much the end. Unless you want to see the kid who looks nothing like you, growing up using your hard-earned money. Yeah, I'm bitter, Shara! You are the worst wife ever.

Hey, and Rune Factory 4 just came out in Japan. It's being sold to nearly as many women as men, so it seems they got a good balance there for every gender to enjoy the game.

I think this was the first Rune Factory to actively court female players over in Japan; 2 and Tides got Marvelous' toes wet with the concept and they went full bore with 4. While there was still some questionalble poo poo in the pre-order bonuses, there was less of such than the bonuses for Tides. It took the Harvest Moon series proper awhile to realize that ladies wanted to get their farming and marrying on, I can't imagine a title now that doesn't let you play as both genders and hope Rune Factory carries on in that direction.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I Watson posted:

While there was still some questionalble poo poo in the pre-order bonuses

"Huh, that just looks like a soundtrack CD and some promotional art, I wonder wh--
:stonk:

I'm too scared to click the second link to see how it was worse.

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

So I've been thinking about getting into these. There are so many to choose from though! Is there a reason to go back and play any of the old ones (like story/plot) or is everyone effectively the same game with a different "gimmick" added to it for variety and I should simply start on the latest installment? Is there even an official "end" to the game or do you just play until you get bored and want to start over with the next one?

I guess the same goes for the Rune Factory games as well.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.

Majin posted:

So I've been thinking about getting into these. There are so many to choose from though! Is there a reason to go back and play any of the old ones (like story/plot) or is everyone effectively the same game with a different "gimmick" added to it for variety and I should simply start on the latest installment? Is there even an official "end" to the game or do you just play until you get bored and want to start over with the next one?

You can pretty much grab and go with any of them. There isn't any real reason to go back and grab old ones for the story or anything.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

I Watson posted:

While there was still some questionalble poo poo in the pre-order bonuses, there was less of such than the bonuses for Tides.

Seriously? I don't see why they couldn't just make some cute dolls of a Wooly and like that something-something-Weed Dragon that you're supposed to live with in RF4 and call it a day, but nooooooooo, they have to make like sex pillows and poo poo.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Majin posted:

Rune Factory 3 is the current best RF game, there's no debate about that. The proper Harvest Moon series is a lot more difficult to decide on. The latest installments for DS/3DS have been adequate but aren't really the best. Of the entire series, people seem to like HM64 and Back to Nature the best, BTN has the benefit of having a PSP port if you have a PSP or Vita (titled Harvest Moon: Boy and Girl). If you just have a DS, then the best for that are the latest two, Grand Bazaar and Tale of Two Towns. Grand Bazaar has you personally peddling your goods every single week while Tale of Two Towns uses the traditional HM method of just dumping everything off in a collection box. ToTT has a more interesting outdoors area to explore and interact with. ToTT separates animal raising and crop raising into separate villages (and you have to pick one, at first), and at times feels a bit limiting, while GB gives you plenty of space to do whatever you want in your one farm. Really, it's a toss up, opinions on which one is better seems to be split. Maybe flip a coin?

edit: Friends of Mineral Town is also very good and probably the best handheld HM game out there, but is only for the GBA. So if you have a DSi or 3DS, you can't play it.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Aug 8, 2012

Spills the Moon
Aug 20, 2008
I really wish the Rune Factory games could come up with a non-stupid way to make farming actually worth doing. At this point I keep my fields tended more out of a sense of propriety, rather than out of any real sort of necessity. "This is the way you're supposed to play a Harvest Moon game!" I'm not even done my first year and I have 370,000 gold, and that's after purchasing just about every upgrade except the double bed. Maybe it's because I'm an eternal pauper in real life, but part of me craves for the money to be maybe just a little hard to obtain. Like you need to farm a certain amount every month to keep the village stocked with food, or yourself, or something.
Maybe it's just because I was young and therefore stupid, but I seem to remember having to save for ages for each and every precious upgrade in Harvest Moon 64.

Maybe I'm just nitpicking where nits oughtn't be picked. In fact I probably am, as Rune Factory 3 just gets so much right otherwise.

Also, a real question, to help others wash away the bitter taste of my inane babbling: Are there other dungeons after the winter one in RF3? Or are there really only four?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
There's a final one that's pretty annoying since it requires certain crops to open doors.

• Locked thread