Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Them .gifs take a while to animate, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan
:stare: New update, and you've got to tell me how you pulled off that stair effect.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Bat Ham posted:

:stare: New update, and you've got to tell me how you pulled off that stair effect.

Every one of those stairs is a static image in an html element. They have individual functions to make them move from side to side, and a second function that moves them vertically inside their encompassing element based on the distance you've scrolled down the page.

Gotta say, that's pretty fuckin sweet.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really like the way Kazerad is handling the dream stuff. I can't pin it down but something about the art decisions in the last couple updates just seems surreal. I wouldn't mind an entire comic done in this style. Especially if it had more effects like the stairs in this last update oh my :allears:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

OriginalPseudonym posted:

Every one of those stairs is a static image in an html element. They have individual functions to make them move from side to side, and a second function that moves them vertically inside their encompassing element based on the distance you've scrolled down the page.

Oh wow, I was page downing and didn't even see the vertical effect.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

A relatively simple gimmick that does look pretty loving sweet indeed.
It'll be interesting to see where all of this leads to.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Yeah, this is kind of similar to how my dreams are. Also liking the fact you can still differentiate between pupil and retina, but it is hard to notice.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Little kitten, that's adorable but that doesn't answer my question. <:mad:>

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

drat, Kazerad is upping the adorability like crazy. That can only mean something horrible is waiting around the corner :ohdear:

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 22, 2012

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
That floating staircase effect is AMAZING. :monocle:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Bat Ham posted:

If you look at the page source, you can see the link to the jquery script he used. The position of each stair is just a function of how far down you've scrolled.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
This update. :tviv:

Just watch! Katia's going to break out of the game, download a trainer for Oblivion, and give herself max stats in everything. The rest of the comic will be an introspective of godly powerful characters in fiction (much like Dr. Manhattan in Watchmen).

I'm hoping.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I'm not clear about why she broke the action figures after seeing that pointed shadow. What was that a shadow of/represent to make her pissed off?

Was that shadow from her claws, reminding her that she isn't a human or elf, and is just a dumb animal? OR, was it from her hand, but it made her think of the King's crown?

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Was that shadow from her claws, reminding her that she isn't a human or elf, and is just a dumb animal? OR, was it from her hand, but it made her think of the King's crown?

You got it with that very last one.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Scott McCloud's gonna get a monster boner when he sees this.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

MikeJF posted:

Oh wow, I was page downing and didn't even see the vertical effect.

Had smooth scrolling off and was in a similar boat.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Is that how Kazerad is pulling off some of the animations? I notice that he has single-play animations that seem to start up whenever your scroll to them, like the sword throwing one.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Young Freud posted:

Is that how Kazerad is pulling off some of the animations? I notice that he has single-play animations that seem to start up whenever your scroll to them, like the sword throwing one.

Sword-throwing one is a loop for me.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
I could swear the sword-throwing panel just played once yesterday when I saw this update for the first time. I went back to look again and it's looping now. Maybe Kazerad changed it?

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Last time we were in dream-land, Katia was smashed out of the panels themselves and hid inside text boxes. I can't wait to see what kind of 4th-wall break thingy we do this time!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sade posted:

I could swear the sword-throwing panel just played once yesterday when I saw this update for the first time. I went back to look again and it's looping now. Maybe Kazerad changed it?
When I read it the first time I didn't see her throwing the sword at all, so it's possible.

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos
I'm glad that panel went over so well :cheers:

Sade posted:

What browser are you using? I'm on Chrome, and was having some trouble with that animation last night as well. Sometimes it wasn't looping, or only played when I scrolled to it, or even slowed down the gifs above and below it? It seemed to get worse the longer the tab was open. It works fine in IE, and I haven't tested Firefox.

If this is Chrome-specific it seems to be something that only cropped up in the newer versions. If it's cross-browser, then I might be doing something wrong with the saving/uploading.

Haledjian posted:

Scott McCloud's gonna get a monster boner when he sees this.

He probably would.

I admit if I ever get the chance I would love to talk to Scott McCloud about webcomics. His old experiments with nonlinearity and horizontal scrolling were really interesting, but I feel like he was still thinking with too much of a "print comic" mentality - even with all the technology at his disposal, he still always made everything into one big sheet. I haven't seen any of his webcomic work since "The Right Number" (2004) and I'd be interested if he's planned or designed anything more esoteric since then.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Kazerad posted:

What browser are you using? I'm on Chrome, and was having some trouble with that animation last night as well. Sometimes it wasn't looping, or only played when I scrolled to it, or even slowed down the gifs above and below it? It seemed to get worse the longer the tab was open. It works fine in IE, and I haven't tested Firefox.

If this is Chrome-specific it seems to be something that only cropped up in the newer versions. If it's cross-browser, then I might be doing something wrong with the saving/uploading.

I'm using Chrome and the sword-throwing animation was the only one not looping.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
One more for the loopless Chrome camp.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
I think it's just a Chrome bug. The same GIFs loop inconsistently for me - sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

Similarly, Chrome doesn't start animated GIFs until they're displayed, which is why you see it even when it doesn't loop.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Works just fine in Firefox.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

+1 working Firefox animation.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

I use Chrome and it's looping perfectly fine. No idea what the problem might be.

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

I use Chrome and it's looping perfectly fine. No idea what the problem might be.

Weird.

To the people with Chrome problems: If it's not too much trouble, I'd like to know if the animation plays correctly when you open it in a new tab, and also if you have any trouble with the harpooning animation in this update. It's a similar length and timing, and I've had some problems with it as well.

Unrelated, if anyone here fancies themself an artist/designer, I could use some help assembling a good banner ad.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The harpoon gif only runs one time on the page but it loops when the image is opened in a new page.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Okay, for me the harpoon animation (the one where she actually throws it) doesn't loop unless I open it in a new tab. :psyduck:

Still using chrome, of course. And the sword-throw in the newest update is still working fine for me.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Kazerad posted:

browser stuff

Hey, Chrome user here. The sword-throwing and harpoon-tossing panels both animate fine for me now, where before at least the sword throw didn't. I opened the site in a tab (as opposed to a new window) the same time both times.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

A student posted:

The harpoon gif only runs one time on the page but it loops when the image is opened in a new page.
This is the behavior I get. Latest build of Chrome.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Both pages working fine in chrome here. Actually I never even noticed the part where she bounces the sword out the window before so thanks for pointing it out guys.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
I'm only seeing those specific GIFs loop when in their own window as well.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Hey, I saw this comic mentioned in the general webcomics thread and it piqued my interest so I checked it out yesterday.

Ended up marathoning the whole comic.

I'm really enjoying the comic, the style fits well with the story, the characters are cutesy but not so much so and they are very expressive.

I'm enjoying the comic. :)

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

There's an update. Make sure you all scroll smoothly, it's another crazy JavaScript thing. Spoiler if you're skittish: there's no jump scare.

Kaz, you've outdone yourself yet again.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
Holy poo poo. This is literally the best application of infinite canvas I've seen in a webcomic in just about ever.

:frogon:

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Even better: every time Katia takes a step (e: after around the seventh step, by my count), scroll back up. A new user command will appear. She even interacts with some of them.

Holy poo poo, Kazerad.

Maple Leaf fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Aug 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
Oh god, there are things coming out of the sides, oh god this update is possessed.

• Locked thread