Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

skog posted:

I guess Labrys must have been built at the Kirijo Lab in Boston

Nah, they just left her alone with a copy of Little Shop of Horrors for too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Is the ABC string vs crouching only? Because that's a waaaaay better combo obviously.
Yea basically A doesn't chain in B at all except on crouching or counterhit. The combo is actually like 5aaa6b5c[4]6a. In this situation you can still combo into sweep then drill. This still works as a corner combo too but you get a less extended combo off it

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
That was a fun tournament! I lost badly but Teddie's a lot of fun. His Furious Action is actually really useful against teleporters because it teleports him behind them.

My current super baby combo is 5AA 2B j.A dj.A 236A j.B, possibly replacing j.B with Tomahawk if I really need to. The damage is pretty bad for a lot of meter though so I may just item toss while they're down. I'll practice delaying Tomahawk in the corner so I can relaunch, I see a lot of Japanese tourney players doing that.

NoMoneyDown
Jan 27, 2009

I've got the advantage. You've got nothing.
Thanks for the Day 1 tournament, guys. I got so far with my basic Mitsuru, I feel ill. She's such a harshly superior character in just about all things except fending off projectiles consistently. I am basically free to Labrys, though. So I learned things :eng101:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I sure love me some Challenge Mode combos. I've only done 29 for Labrys so far, with 20-25 for most everyone else. Speaking of Labrys 29, there's a non-obvious trick you need to know to do it. When Labrys does her 22+attack special, she can charge it to delay the sword from popping out of the ground. What the game doesn't outright tell you is that you can switch the button you charge with without changing where the sword pops out as long as you switch held buttons before the animation of the sword entering the ground. The challenge calls for 22[A] with a Standing A right after it, so what you can do is 22A~[C] into the A 2B XX super.

You also don't need to start holding down the A button until after the link where you need the 5A. So you can actually just do:

{5B} 22A, [5A] 2B 236236]A[A.

Either way works though.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
If you haven't finished Persona 4 and don't want to be spoiled on anything, stay away from the Story Mode. I don't think they'll be big enough dicks to spoil the killer's (or even the red herring's) identity, but they pretty casually mention Nanako was kidnapped and nearly died among other, lesser story moments.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I started feeling a little better at this game when I switched from fighting to computer in Versus to fighting it in Arcade Mode. Labrys was just destroying me over and over again in versus and then I switched it to Arcade Mode and remembered what it was like to destroy the computer.

I still need to get used to this game though. It is very odd.

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

No Alibi. No Justice. No Dream. No Club.
Good poo poo to everyone who played today here is the final bracket. I'll get around to a mega post with youtube links to the matches later on.

http://challonge.com/goonsgardenp4a1

The next tournament won't be on a tuesday since I'm normally really busy that night. We'll go for thursday nights instead.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.
I'm on PS3 and can't get a game to save my life. What gives?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

You also don't need to start holding down the A button until after the link where you need the 5A. So you can actually just do:

{5B} 22A, [5A] 2B 236236]A[A.

Either way works though.

I'd tried it that way, but it felt way weirder, especially with the super cancel also needing A shortly after. It's good to know that both methods work, though.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I know it's just day 1 but gently caress Circus Bear

zarron
Sep 1, 2005
I'm having trouble with Mitsuru. Once she gets in I am hosed.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I think I'm in love with Akihiko. :nyoron: His mobility, pressure and mixups are absolutely disgusting. I still haven't really found a use for his giant meteor dive kick thing though.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Cityinthesea posted:

Oh my god Labrys's story mode made me cry like a little girl when I realized why she said she kept saying that she was the student council president.

Came here JUST to post about this. Holy poo poo. This marks yet another Persona game where I cried like a little girl. The whole plotline with #024 was predictable, but it was so difficult to sit through because I knew it was coming. I don't care what anyone says, Atlus are masters at expressing what "life" is and why it's so beautiful.

Also, I am loving terrible at fighting in this game. :smith:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So regarding the story mode: Are the branches obvious? Because the first choice in Yu's story seemed to do absolutely nothing, and I kinda forgot to see if beating Yosuke with an SP Skill did anything different (I DID try losing, however).

Basically between X2 and CT I've been :tinfoil: as hell about every single ASW story mode.

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!

404GoonNotFound posted:

Basically between X2 and CT I've been :tinfoil: as hell about every single ASW story mode.

They got a lot better with crazy requirements in CS, though, so considering it might not be that complex in this game.

Also, I had a lot of fun at the tourney. Snagged 3rd, felt good. Hopefully we can do this again.

Elec
Feb 25, 2007

404GoonNotFound posted:

So regarding the story mode: Are the branches obvious? Because the first choice in Yu's story seemed to do absolutely nothing, and I kinda forgot to see if beating Yosuke with an SP Skill did anything different (I DID try losing, however).

I've been poking around for this info since I got it a couple of weeks ago, but since there aren't actually that many branches and they only have 2 choices, it's actually fairly linear. Completing (as far as you can, at least) certain characters will let you play other characters' story modes. Then you can unlock the 2nd half of story modes.
Unlike BlazBlue, however, where you could theoretically get everything in a certain amount of playthroughs without having to do every single option, if you're keen on 100%-ing it, you'll have to pick every option.

I'm skipping all this text anyway so I'm just picking "all upper choices" on my playthroughs, then will go for "all bottoms" the next time I guess. I've only really completed a small handful of story mode just because it's tedious anime.

Someone earlier was complaining about how Yosuke reacts whenever Kanji gets brought up; it IS lovely and it's a common attitude over here. People in Japan just don't know many gay people personally, or if they do, they don't know about it. It's not outright hateful, just really ignorant. If they're playing it for laughs (and of course they are), then it's bad humor.

I had no idea they used to use Boston accents as Kansai-ben substitutes, and honestly it almost makes more sense to me. I feel like southern-US accents would be better for characters from northern Japan, to be honest.

Anyway, I'm still maining Yukiko. Keeping Kanji away online is easy and fun, but the Kanjis I play online just tend to have really good comebacks. I'm starting to like how Yosuke plays too, but he's just really fragile. I'm enjoying Akihiko too, so I'm looking forward to actually sitting in training mode for awhile like I do with all other games, only all the other content is pleasantly distracting.

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:
Thanks to whoever it was that was mashing with me online for a bunch of matches (kooky). I am learning how to deal with Elizabeth's tricks.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

404GoonNotFound posted:

Some of the branches do matter, Yu's don't change anything (which seems somewhat appropriate actually) but I got some "bad endings" with Chie and Kanji with branch selection. I haven't experimented with combat performance at all, but it's pretty common for ArkSys to utilize that as well.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I really like Labrys's voice. I think it's a cute accent, something I don't usually say about accents in video games.

The controls are a bit better after switching the facepad buttons a little bit... that was probably my biggest problem when fighting. Naoto is pretty fun to play as too, so that might help.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Dresh posted:

Some of the branches do matter, Yu's don't change anything (which seems somewhat appropriate actually) but I got some "bad endings" with Chie and Kanji with branch selection. I haven't experimented with combat performance at all, but it's pretty common for ArkSys to utilize that as well.

But it's all text choices, right? No Must lose/Must win with an SP Skill/Must win with an Instant Kill branches?

I'm having flashbacks to Dizzy's fight with Boss I-No back when I was in high school again :shepicide:

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Aug 8, 2012

Famibomb
Sep 2, 2011
7th of September for PAL regions?

:suicide:

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I'm glad the English voice acting is pretty good, because Rise and Labrys' voices in Japanese are possibly the most annoying things on the planet. The only real downside to Yu's voice is that it makes me think of Bleach. Otherwise they did a pretty good job!

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
I dunno, they somehow made Chie even worse than she was in P4. I mean, sounding like you're 37 is one thing, but the new girl? Holy gently caress she's not good at this.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Not sure what the big deal with Chie's new VA. She sounds fine to me. :confused:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

PunkBoy posted:

Not sure what the big deal with Chie's new VA. She sounds fine to me. :confused:

From the videos I've seen she seems just fine to me! Teddie, too!

Nnng, I still need to budget myself, which is why I haven't plunked down the cash for this game yet. But the videos are tantalizing and enthralling.

It makes me wonder, too, if they can make backgrounds this gorgeous, I wonder what the next-gen (or even current-gen) Persona RPG game could look like.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Speedball posted:

It makes me wonder, too, if they can make backgrounds this gorgeous, I wonder what the next-gen (or even current-gen) Persona RPG game could look like.

Just try not to wonder what a next-gen Mara would look like.

As for what a current-gen one would look like, there's always Catherine, which was pretty much the Persona team goofing around on their days off.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Combo video maker Persona has his Chie video up now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzm7wdcroQ4

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Anyone got any Elizabeth tips? I'm excited to play her because she seems to have an incredibly high skill ceiling that will be really rewarding with her crazy instant kill setups, awakening and healing shenanigans, and the insane hitbox on her persona skills. Also her hadouken is nuts.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.

404GoonNotFound posted:

I dunno, they somehow made Chie even worse than she was in P4. I mean, sounding like you're 37 is one thing, but the new girl? Holy gently caress she's not good at this.

The original Chie was fantastic you plebian

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
I gotta say I'm really liking the Brooklyn accent on labrys, I completely hated her because her japanese voice was so obxnious, but now she's okay. Too bad the three labrys players will all use japanese

RE:alternate endings, only yukiko, chie and kanji have a "bad" ending that's made by dialogue choices.

MY ANIME GF posted:

Anyone got any Elizabeth tips?

Here are my scrubby day-1 opinions.

- Only use her autocombo for styling on people, the moves aren't good and you dont need the extra meter (does liz even GET meter from landing hits?)
- at neutral throw out B attacks. In parctular crouching B is really good because it leaves you in the air afterwards, meaning if you hit someone with it you can instantly do air B and they get to sit there and block
- Her persona normals are all disgusting but you need to be careful with them because if you get persona broken you might as well just put down the controller because you just lost 90% of what makes you good. standing C has really good range but you need to make sure it hits them, after that you can cancel into one of three things: crouching C dinosaur roar (has armor and fears them, beats mashers) D grab/posion (beats honest people that sit there and block you) or lightning (safest option)
- crouching C, standing/jumping D, and her normal grab all cause fear, you really want this because when you hit someone in fear state you get automatic fatal counters (they can't tech your combo until they hit the ground) this is how do all those incredibly silly 8k combos that last 10 seconds.
- Her invicible grab is techable and jumpable, be careful with it (I've noticed you can mash it in the middle of labryss blockstrings, that's A Thing) also keep in mind it doesn't actually do damage/has a longer startup/is harder to combo afterwards and that you should use her regular throw sometimes
- Ghastly wail during fear does something silly like 6k damage :getin:, you can even combo into it (even though it's a grab) by doing freeze -> all out attack ->one more cancel -> ghastly wail
- Day 1 troll tactic, combo into ex lightning and mash on whiffed grabs

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

I'm really bad at remembering to tech Elizabeth's annoying r action. Gonna really need to work hard on that considering I play Chie and getting hit with it resets your position to fullscreen where you have to make it past the projectile shitstorm in order to get another chance at doing any damage.

JumbocactuarX27
Jan 9, 2011

Blargh! I'm a space parasite!

FighterKnuckles posted:

Also, I had a lot of fun at the tourney. Snagged 3rd, felt good. Hopefully we can do this again.

Sweet. I feel a lot better about having a few close matches with you at the beginning now. I need to practice a whole lot more though, so these weekly goon tournaments will be great incentive for that.

Also on story modes, does anyone know if there's a gag reel ending for each character like there was in the BlazeBlue games.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Is Labrys Brooklyn or Jersey? Either way it's distracting and hilarious but I can't hate it. During the game Teddy's new VA isn't that bad so I have to retract my previous hate and I don't see any problem with new Chie.

Also had fun at the tourney last night even though I got destroyed. I like Yosuke but I really need to learn how to use him.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Radish posted:

Is Labrys Brooklyn or Jersey? Either way it's distracting and hilarious but I can't hate it.

Neither; Boston.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The Chairman posted:

Neither; Boston.

Now when I think of Labrys she sounds like Carla from Cheers in my mind.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Is Marin Karin with Mitsuru worth using? I don't know, it doesn't really seem to do much, but I could be doing it wrong :(

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

PunkBoy posted:

We were cringing pretty bad when Chie first showed up in story mode. It was kind of terrible. Then she started talking like a normal person though and she sounds perfectly fine so I guess she was only really ear-splitting for those first two lines.

Teddie's taking some getting used to, too.

Labrys I can't get enough of. She's got that accent and I love listening to it.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Is Marin Karin with Mitsuru worth using? I don't know, it doesn't really seem to do much, but I could be doing it wrong :(

It's good for pressuring people while you use A/B normals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

So are the Glasses/Alternate Costumes unlockable in game like the Navigators are?

Because I really want some Glasses on my Naoto-kun :ohdear:

Happy Blue Cow fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Aug 8, 2012

• Locked thread