Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now

Hoohah posted:

I understand that new games have the need for tutorials and introductions to ease people into slightly more complex games, but literally being shoved into a world and told 'figure it out' is one of the things that made me love playing Everquest for five years, the first game I ever played for that length of time. Being a part of the 'top guild' on a server only continued that feeling as you worked out how to beat a raid boss that no one else on your server had done, and no information other than 'gently caress it, charge in like idiots and lets figure it out' as a plan.

It's the best and worst things about it, because once you've done it you can't really roll a new character and do it over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

So right now I'm boxing a SK/Bard/Shaman group. Should I be capping defensive AA's every level with the SK? I'm level 58 at the moment, and I just capped CA/CS, Natural Durability, etc. Should I stop every level and cap them again, or just grind out to 70 or so and then work on it?

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

RCarr posted:

So right now I'm boxing a SK/Bard/Shaman group. Should I be capping defensive AA's every level with the SK? I'm level 58 at the moment, and I just capped CA/CS, Natural Durability, etc. Should I stop every level and cap them again, or just grind out to 70 or so and then work on it?

I would try and find sweet-spots to do chunks of AA at a time. The first one I did was the hole at level 60-something on my monk, since I could just pull like 20-25 mobs from the temple at a time and rip-disc them down and pull ~22AA per lesson (That was before the recent aa leveling boosts, so not too shabby). I think 63 was where I stopped and maxed out defensive AAs for the first time. It was a popular spot for Paladins and SKs as well. After that Plane of fire at 71(?) was super solid, vergalid mines at 75 or so, ashengate, loping plains, SoF stuff, mech guardian in the 80s.

You get some nice power boosts in old content when you hit the levels for HoT/VoA gear as well.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 6, 2012

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Cool, thanks for the info. Does anyone know if there's a guide to camping augs? At what level should I start worrying about camping augs? Is there a progression where I can camp each one while still gaining decent xp? I tried searching the Evilgamer.net forums but can't find an aug list or guide or anything.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
http://www.evilgamer.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4870

Is what I used. I started camping around 75-80ish, just whatever was in level range while exping. Bayle's crest is pretty solid, so if you want to do the SoD quests, do them while they still give AA.

HolyCarp
Jan 21, 2004
Glub.
So thanks to stumbling onto this thread, I decided to start playing EQ again after not touching it for 8 years. I rolled a new character and then rolled another one because I wasn't happy playing a melee character. I am playing as Triolus and just dinged level 10 last night. If anyone is on tonight that is in the goon guild, I would like a guild invite if possible.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Hoohah posted:

All sorts of crazy nostalgiac stuff...

Man, my eyes teared up just reading that. Made me wish I still had my giant 3 ring binder filled with maps printed out from eqatlas.com, with important locations written down ("Possible Quillmane spawn point?").

Of course, that guide is 95% applicable, except I leveled on Rallos Zek, where you could be slain repeatedly for inspecting someone, and couldn't go AFK without the fear of losing your shiny breastplate...

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Tolain posted:

http://www.evilgamer.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4870

Is what I used. I started camping around 75-80ish, just whatever was in level range while exping. Bayle's crest is pretty solid, so if you want to do the SoD quests, do them while they still give AA.

Incoming huge wave of advice about SK leveling. You will be a totally useless stack of pixels unless you have AA, period. Stop at 71, 75, 81, 85, 90/91 for AA. If you're capped on CS/CA/tanking AA/ lifetapAA, then you can consider leveling, but you probably should keep AAing anyway. SK is extremely AA dependent and goes from worthless speed bump to immortal god character based on AA only. Gear is easy these days.

If you follow the swarming guides on evilgamer.net, you can sit at 78/81 in Plane of Fire for 2k AA in a week. You need your epic (All SKs MUST HAVE epic 2.0), then you just pull the whole zone at once and watch the AA roll in. All good from that point. Thess from 82-88ish, it's PoFire 2.0. Then do HoT progression, level to 91 with that, and move into current content.

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 6, 2012

unclenutzzy
Jun 6, 2007
Hey RCarr, since you're on test add Tomasz and Nipseye as friends. I have a 71 enc/rng duo that I've been playing, and if you want I'll play some with you when you get a little higher.

DarkStryke
Jun 7, 2006

Medullah posted:

Man, my eyes teared up just reading that. Made me wish I still had my giant 3 ring binder filled with maps printed out from eqatlas.com, with important locations written down ("Possible Quillmane spawn point?").

Of course, that guide is 95% applicable, except I leveled on Rallos Zek, where you could be slain repeatedly for inspecting someone, and couldn't go AFK without the fear of losing your shiny breastplate...
That was the true gem of it all, the mystery of the game was it's greatest strength (and largest sense of frustration). It also pushed out the best expansion content any game has seen thus far, Scars of Velious.

I don't think I'll ever be a part of something as large as the Coldain ring war event again, at least not to the scale it felt. That is by far the fondest memory of it all, and there are way too many to try and recount.

zancii
Sep 16, 2011

MrTheDevious posted:

Incoming huge wave of advice about SK leveling. You will be a totally useless stack of pixels unless you have AA, period. Stop at 71, 75, 81, 85, 90/91 for AA. If you're capped on CS/CA/tanking AA/ lifetapAA, then you can consider leveling, but you probably should keep AAing anyway. SK is extremely AA dependent and goes from worthless speed bump to immortal god character based on AA only. Gear is easy these days.

If you follow the swarming guides on evilgamer.net, you can sit at 78/81 in Plane of Fire for 2k AA in a week. You need your epic (All SKs MUST HAVE epic 2.0), then you just pull the whole zone at once and watch the AA roll in. All good from that point. Thess from 82-88ish, it's PoFire 2.0. Then do HoT progression, level to 91 with that, and move into current content.

Actually, since we're on the Test server, my level 80 SK went from just a few hundred AA to over 2k AA in a matter of days in PoFire. Latest AA patch plus double exp on Test equals some really awesome and quick experience.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Thanks for all the info fellas! I don't mind AA'ing since it goes so fast, and I actually feel like I'm accomplishing things when I get to spend the points. I'll do my best to try to grab the augs along the route.

I added you, unclenutzy. Hopefully we can group up soon!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DarkStryke posted:

That was the true gem of it all, the mystery of the game was it's greatest strength (and largest sense of frustration). It also pushed out the best expansion content any game has seen thus far, Scars of Velious.

I don't think I'll ever be a part of something as large as the Coldain ring war event again, at least not to the scale it felt. That is by far the fondest memory of it all, and there are way too many to try and recount.

Oh man, I remember the brutal camp when I got my Eyepatch of Plunder. Again, on a PVP server, that camp was 10x scarier than on a blue server. Not only did you have to sit there for 20+ hours, but you couldn't even safely go AFK because you'd have to be on the defensive 100% of the time. But when you got it...it was awesome. No Drop meant no one could loot it off you if you got ganked, and the proc was amazing for its time.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Medullah posted:

Oh man, I remember the brutal camp when I got my Eyepatch of Plunder. Again, on a PVP server, that camp was 10x scarier than on a blue server. Not only did you have to sit there for 20+ hours, but you couldn't even safely go AFK because you'd have to be on the defensive 100% of the time. But when you got it...it was awesome. No Drop meant no one could loot it off you if you got ganked, and the proc was amazing for its time.

Is this the haste item that people used before the Cragbeast Queen belt?

DarkStryke
Jun 7, 2006

It was a clickable haste, so it stacked with item haste. It was basically like having a ghetto pocket enchanter around with you everywhere.

** Looks like yes, it was the pre-cursor to the queen belt. I stopped playing before that expansion, so didn't know about the queen.

DarkStryke fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 7, 2012

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

DarkStryke posted:

It was a clickable haste, so it stacked with item haste. It was basically like having a ghetto pocket enchanter around with you everywhere.

** Looks like yes, it was the pre-cursor to the queen belt. I stopped playing before that expansion, so didn't know about the queen.

Yeah, Eyepatch is 20% haste, Lizardscale Girdle is 50%.

Both are time consuming, Eyepatch due to the rarity of the spawns, Cragbeast due to the rarity of the drops.

I got my Eyepatch during Fabled so I just killed Fabled Stormfeather and got the Fabled version. Much easier but the effect is the same.

I never got around to trying to camp the Cragbeast Queen but it's easily soloable these days.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
I'm looking for a good place to move my 63 Shaman, 76 Necro, Tank, and Healer merc group. I'm 100% AA on the Necro and 0% on the Shaman while they get closer in level. I spent a lot of time in the hole and loved it but I'm frankly tired of it and the AAxp for the necro was slow. I've spent the last couple of days in the Verigald Mines and while it was challenging and fun, the loot was unrewarding and the pulls were slow enough as to be inefficient for leveling the Shaman.

I'd like to go somewhere with decent cash flow because I'm dead broke. When the characters get within 10 levels of each other I plan to grind out a couple of LDON's for nostalgia's sake and then try the DoDh 68-70 spell missions.

Any advice?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

What about Plane of Fire?

lotor9530
Apr 29, 2009

Andy Dufresne posted:

I'm looking for a good place to move my 63 Shaman, 76 Necro, Tank, and Healer merc group. I'm 100% AA on the Necro and 0% on the Shaman while they get closer in level. I spent a lot of time in the hole and loved it but I'm frankly tired of it and the AAxp for the necro was slow. I've spent the last couple of days in the Verigald Mines and while it was challenging and fun, the loot was unrewarding and the pulls were slow enough as to be inefficient for leveling the Shaman.

I'd like to go somewhere with decent cash flow because I'm dead broke. When the characters get within 10 levels of each other I plan to grind out a couple of LDON's for nostalgia's sake and then try the DoDh 68-70 spell missions.

Any advice?

Katta Castrum, kill the elementals. They're level 70ish, but weak cons.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll probably check out Katta first because I can port there from the GH. My only experience in Katta is at the Greenhouse, where are the elementals?

lotor9530
Apr 29, 2009

Andy Dufresne posted:

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll probably check out Katta first because I can port there from the GH. My only experience in Katta is at the Greenhouse, where are the elementals?

There are several areas, the easiest to get to is head south from zone in to the middle "ring" of Katta, then head east, you should see them just through the first door. If you have problems finding it, I'm usually in gchat.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Medullah posted:

I NEVER managed to get that piece of poo poo, but at least i had some good tussles

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I Love You! posted:

I NEVER managed to get that piece of poo poo, but at least i had some good tussles

I was obsessed with clickable items, they were just so cool. My Rogue had as many of the illusion masks as I could get...including the half-elf one that was a stupid camp. Bought all the Mrylokar/Donals stuff I could for my characters, as stupid as some of the procs were...they were clicky!

My favorite PVP item was the necro Words of Darkness. Not too many people had it because it wasn't that great of stats, and the click was only the low level life -> mana conversion. But it was an instant cast, and could be clicked from the inventory slot. So if I got into PVP, I'd click it and that way mez wouldn't stick since it was considered a DOT.

Used that item the entire time I played my necro. Always had an empty inventory slot for it.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

Killing elementals in Katta last night was a great success. My necro is rolling in AA's at this point but the shaman wasn't getting much regular xp. Tonight I'll probably drop the mercs and stick with kiting them because they have such low HP.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Medullah posted:

I was obsessed with clickable items, they were just so cool. My Rogue had as many of the illusion masks as I could get...including the half-elf one that was a stupid camp. Bought all the Mrylokar/Donals stuff I could for my characters, as stupid as some of the procs were...they were clicky!

My favorite PVP item was the necro Words of Darkness. Not too many people had it because it wasn't that great of stats, and the click was only the low level life -> mana conversion. But it was an instant cast, and could be clicked from the inventory slot. So if I got into PVP, I'd click it and that way mez wouldn't stick since it was considered a DOT.

Used that item the entire time I played my necro. Always had an empty inventory slot for it.

Yeah, same, but the stars never alighted on the eyepatch. Some sk would always show up and we'd just fight for several hours

JStix
Apr 24, 2012
How limiting is the restriction of Silver accounts to rank 1 spells? I'm interested in trying EQ but this seems like a pretty big cockblock.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

If you're serious about playing don't even bother trying to do so on a silver account. The AA/gear/inventory/plat/bank/etc restrictions are ridiculous. Alternatively, just play on Test where you can have as many free gold accounts as you can handle.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 9, 2012

cycomatix
Apr 23, 2008
Fun Shoe
You can pay some station cash to get rank II spells for the character that purchases them. This isn't particularly a big deal till the 80's range though, which is where all of the restrictions start kicking in big time.

Silver and Free players are stuck with T2 progression gear from HoT and VoA at best, can't wear augments, and have a major handicap at a 1000 aa cap. It's not a huge deal if you wanna box a more passive class like a bard or shaman, but there's a huge roadblock to halt your progression if you don't go gold once you're in the late game.

This isn't an issue on the test server, but there you'll be trading free gold status and a hefty exp bonus for a low population, which may be preferable anyway.

coldlight66
Jul 3, 2009
Am I a racist? Yeah maybe, but I call it like I ignorantly perceive it.
So my brother and I are looking to start playing again for nostalgia's sake and for something to get back into. Is the game 100% now or can I still get my nostalgia fix? We're going to have to start completely new accounts, is it possible to survive on your own, or do you need to get pl'd/twinked?

Also, what are some good soloing classes with group utility, shamans and Druids top there, or something else? Thanks for the help.

cycomatix
Apr 23, 2008
Fun Shoe

coldlight66 posted:

So my brother and I are looking to start playing again for nostalgia's sake and for something to get back into. Is the game 100% now or can I still get my nostalgia fix? We're going to have to start completely new accounts, is it possible to survive on your own, or do you need to get pl'd/twinked?

Also, what are some good soloing classes with group utility, shamans and Druids top there, or something else? Thanks for the help.

A friend and I have been playing this game on our own for a few months now, and it just requires a lot more time and self-research if you don't have any help. Depending on what classes you play will really affect how quickly you progress as well. Melees and especially tanks are much more gear and AA dependent than casters, so they are a much bigger time investment if you want to reach the later expansions. My friend and I went Rogue/Sk, and had a hell of a time figuring out everything to get us to fighting well in House of Thule, and it probably would have gone a lot faster had we decided to do something like Enchanter/Mage with tank mercs and pets.

Prior to the 80 range though the game is pretty much cake thanks to defiant gear for any class. Money comes in faster now than it ever has, gear is widely available, and with some thorns potions you can pretty much powerlevel yourself for a while.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

RCarr posted:

If you're serious about playing don't even bother trying to do so on a silver account. The AA/gear/inventory/plat/bank/etc restrictions are ridiculous. Alternatively, just play on Test where you can have as many free gold accounts as you can handle.

Is there really anyone on Test anymore? I still have a 90/2500 SK there with full HoT gear who is just rotting because there was nothing going on when I was last active.

Not that I've really played much in any regard since April or so.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I play on Test and there's still quite a few people. I saw at least 5 other people in the tutorial, and constantly ran into other players while I was leveliing in Blightfire Moors, and Gorukar Mesa. I'm in Blackfeather Roost right now and there's rarely a time when I'm the only person in the zone. I can't vouch for end game content, but I'd assume most people on test are at the higher end of the game. General chat has constant discussions, and as far as I know there is a raiding guild with quite a few people playing regularly. It's definitely better than I expected, and being able to 3box a SK/Shaman/Bard for free is enough to get me to stay there. The double xp and vet rewards are sweet too.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

I think I'm gonna move my crew back over from Luclin since Test is free and I basically only solo my bot crew anyway. I bet Test + Lesson + new AA curve makes AA fly

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

By the way, my ambitious attempt at reliving nostalgia with EQMac came to a screeching halt already at level 5/6. Jesus christ, original EQ is brutally grindy. Literally nothing to do but slowly and painstakingly grind mobs, and even dual-boxing it is risky and cumbersome 100% of the time.

MrTheDevious posted:

I think I'm gonna move my crew back over from Luclin since Test is free and I basically only solo my bot crew anyway. I bet Test + Lesson + new AA curve makes AA fly

After all the trouble you Test->Luclin people went through... :suicide:

I'm contemplating gooning it up on Test when I return some day (I know I will!). Paying three $15 sub fees is just a bit drat steep, it's actually $50 total in my local currency. Plus, a there'll probably be a new expansion to buy on top of it all later this year.

Kodaji, can you post a quick tutorial on the Test stuff? Does *everything* get transferred with /testcopy, per character? After that, do I just run TestEverQuest.exe and wait for a patch to download?

unclenutzzy
Jun 6, 2007

Pilsner posted:

By the way, my ambitious attempt at reliving nostalgia with EQMac came to a screeching halt already at level 5/6. Jesus christ, original EQ is brutally grindy. Literally nothing to do but slowly and painstakingly grind mobs, and even dual-boxing it is risky and cumbersome 100% of the time.

I'm contemplating gooning it up on Test when I return some day (I know I will!). Paying three $15 sub fees is just a bit drat steep, it's actually $50 total in my local currency. Plus, a there'll probably be a new expansion to buy on top of it all later this year.

Kodaji, can you post a quick tutorial on the Test stuff? Does *everything* get transferred with /testcopy, per character? After that, do I just run TestEverQuest.exe and wait for a patch to download?

I'm not Kodaji, but I can answer all the same. Everything gets copied, including platinum and bank contents. You can copy a character every 8 hours. Also to launch test you need to use the new(ish) launcher. At the top left it should say "Version: Live". You can simply click on the word live and change it to test. Let it patch and you can play!

Ante Christ
May 8, 2007

Pilsner posted:

Now I don't feel so bad about not being able to transfer over my level 85 Shaman with 1,000 AA.

Looks like I might just end up three boxing Shaman/SK/Mage on test. Too bad Macroquest doesn't work on test.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I started playing this week, in-game as Gradenko with a level 10 14 Warrior.

Since I'm finding the quest system to be a little unpleasant to deal with, I've just been grinding on pumas and bears and drakes outside Crescent Reach. Am I shooting myself in the foot by forgoing questing?

Also, I'm not sure I understand how the skill training system works - I can pay the guildmaster some cash to increase my skill level, but I already get skill increases just by fighting. Why should I still train and what should I be focusing on training?

Finally, when should I be thinking about going for a Silver upgrade or a Gold subscription?

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Aug 11, 2012

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,
I have some old Everquest Evolution cds from back in the day, if I install them on my PC will I be able to around some of the downloading of the F2P download?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

manchego posted:

I have some old Everquest Evolution cds from back in the day, if I install them on my PC will I be able to around some of the downloading of the F2P download?

If they have a lot of the base files like zones and stuff, then install the current client to the same directory; it's possible. Whenever I reinstall after many of my 'quits' I have Titanium discs that cut the download time in half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ante Christ posted:

Now I don't feel so bad about not being able to transfer over my level 85 Shaman with 1,000 AA.

Looks like I might just end up three boxing Shaman/SK/Mage on test. Too bad Macroquest doesn't work on test.

I realized the MQ issue and stopped DLing EQ heh. Vanguard F2P is up though! So far, Flarestar, Brumans, and I are all in the goon guild there playing if anyone wants to come join us :)

Flare and I both have alts of every level, I'm playing a new char now, and there's 6 or so people in the 1-20 range already, so now's the time to start and ride the goon wave before we all quit like usual