Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Sprint can go gently caress themselves. When did the termination fee become $350? I'm glad to be done with this amateur bullshit.

It depends on how long on the contract you have left. I think mine right now is $70 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

FogHelmut posted:

Sprint can go gently caress themselves. When did the termination fee become $350? I'm glad to be done with this amateur bullshit.

Ever since they've gotten the iPhone or something like that. Yeah it sucks but they basically matched everyone else.

Edit: Also yeah as stated above, it depends on when you've re-upped your contract.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Duckman just checked on my ETF and it's $50 with my contract ending September 1st.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey
Sprint changed the etf almost a year ago. Verizon upped theirs in 2009 and AT&T in 2010. Sprint stuck with lower fees longer than the other guys. I guess the trade off is paying 400+ for a phone or having a higher etf.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice
They do pro-rate it monthly. Not sure if they did that before or not.

Everyone gets a smartphone these days and they are more expensive (not just the iPhone).

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
If anyone cares, I'm selling my Epic 4G (With CM9) over here. (Along with a lot of other, non-cellphone, crap.)

I'll also be selling my Evo 4G soon, once I get my new Nexus set up.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

The Entire Universe posted:

Back then Cyanogen was too busy with practically every other phone and so everything available in terms of custom ROMs was absolute poo poo.
It wasn't so much a matter of CM being too busy, but that it took a solid year between when the device launched and when CM finally became a viable option for it due to the device just being strange.

It's basically the same situation the E4GT is in right now, CM is just starting to become viable and will soon be official, and the delay due to much of the same reason.

So glad the SGS3 went with Qualcomm hardware and broke that cycle. CM10 development is top notch. Hell, Cyanogen even got IOMMU support working to free an extra 200 MB RAM, which while superfluous on a 2 GB phone, is pretty darn cool. (Cyanogen has a prototype device with 1 GB of RAM only, so the extra 200 MB matters more for him.)

FogHelmut posted:

When did the termination fee become $350?
September 9th, 2011.

The $350 part doesn't bother me so much. It matches the rough $550 retail cost of $200 subsidized devices. Of course, the GSM Galaxy Nexus has proved that $550 figure to be bullshit too. But I'm sure iPhones cost more than $550 to Sprint so I blame Apple.

The part that bothers me about the new ETF schedule is that the proration (is that a word?) stops at $100 remaining at month 18. So the last six months you're on contract it's $100 to jump out, as opposed to $50 previously. The 20 month upgrade softens that, but I wonder how they justify not prorating it down to $20.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

FogHelmut posted:

How do the other carriers handle early termination of contracts? Just a slap on the wrist? I was under the impression that early termination cost you money regardless of which carrier you were using. Just seems odd that you're complaining when you clearly signed a contract where everything is listed. If you don't like the termination fee, don't sign the contract?

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 7, 2012

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Bioshuffle posted:

How do the other carriers handle early termination of contracts?
It's more or less all the same. Verizon's is $350 (less $XX/mo?) and AT&T's is $325 less $10/mo.

I assume the complaint isn't so much that Sprint is acting differently than Verizon and AT&T, but that "low ETFs" were once a Sprint perk. Which of course, was absolutely unsustainable in the iPhone flipping market.

There's also an interesting FCC page on ETFs, including carrier responses justifying them when the FCC probed a few years back.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Bioshuffle posted:

How do the other carriers handle early termination of contracts? Just a slap on the wrist? I was under the impression that early termination cost you money regardless of which carrier you were using. Just seems odd that you're complaining when you clearly signed a contract where everything is listed. If you don't like the termination fee, don't sign the contract?

Its been $200 my entire life, I didn't expect it to be so much. And you don't physically sign anything when you get these plans, which is pretty shady as far as I'm concerned. But that's just more reason to not get involved in these horrible contract things. See you all in the prepaid thread.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

FogHelmut posted:

Its been $200 my entire life, I didn't expect it to be so much. And you don't physically sign anything when you get these plans, which is pretty shady as far as I'm concerned. But that's just more reason to not get involved in these horrible contract things. See you all in the prepaid thread.

Where do you upgrade that they don't have you sign or agree to anything. In a sprint store you agree to the contract and etf on a signature pad, online it brings you through the same information, over the phone they read you the whole thread thing out loud.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

FogHelmut posted:

Its been $200 my entire life, I didn't expect it to be so much.
I was definitely told it was a $350 ETF when I picked up my S3 in store.

Was this a flip gone bad?

Edit: The one thing I will complain about is Sprint's "14 day return window", which is only "14 days" in a counting system where "day zero" doesn't exist.

Most folks think they have exactly two weeks to try out a phone, so if they pick it up on a Saturday, they can return it up to Saturday two weeks later. But in reality, you can only return it up until the Friday before.

That's a real punch in the face. Although the store I stopped at was very clear explaining this, and explaining that they had folks come in a day late to return and there's nothing they could do, I'm sure folks are still mislead. Even if they're not, if you buy a phone on a Saturday, you might not be able to return it on any other day but Saturday/Sunday. Seems like a great way to piss off people who have legitimate signal issues or whatever, for no real benefit.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 7, 2012

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So far today has been a great day, I got my paycheck and work was really fun. So with all that said, today has to be the day the Nexus comes in.

Please :negative:

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005
Is it worth complaining about a store over? I went to a corporate store today about how my phones audio keeps cutting in/out. They updated a ton of things, and tried a few calls.

After that, they said that it was probably Sprints network, so I'd probably keep having these issues for the next 2 years until it's finished getting upgraded. And then basically handed me my phone and said bye.

I did go to a non-corporate store after that, and they actually tested my phone out a good bit and realized that it wasn't even possible to talk on the thing for the most part and that I should have a new phone tomorrow or Thursday.

Especially annoying since the closest store is 25 miles, and the other one was 10 miles further. So I'm going to have to do 140 miles of driving to places out of my way. I even tried to see if they'd ship me the phone at the non-corporate store, but they said they couldn't.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

FogHelmut posted:

US Mobile contracts are pretty much anti-consumer, its one of the things that makes the US market so bad wireless wise. Only consolation i have is that Canada seems to be worse.

uapyro posted:

Is it worth complaining about a store over? I went to a corporate store today about how my phones audio keeps cutting in/out. They updated a ton of things, and tried a few calls.

After that, they said that it was probably Sprints network, so I'd probably keep having these issues for the next 2 years until it's finished getting upgraded. And then basically handed me my phone and said bye.

I did go to a non-corporate store after that, and they actually tested my phone out a good bit and realized that it wasn't even possible to talk on the thing for the most part and that I should have a new phone tomorrow or Thursday.

Especially annoying since the closest store is 25 miles, and the other one was 10 miles further. So I'm going to have to do 140 miles of driving to places out of my way. I even tried to see if they'd ship me the phone at the non-corporate store, but they said they couldn't.

You can always try calling retentions. No guarantees.

Edit: Finally added the new retentions number and added a few other random department numbers I have. I moved them all to the top so people won't miss them.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 7, 2012

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Well poo poo :negative:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Skeezy posted:

Well poo poo :negative:

Sorry dude :(

Hey, for anyone looking for a Galaxy Nexus no contract, I have one for sale (my girlfriend decided she wanted an HTC phone). Link below, but feel free to PM, asking for $350.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3500274&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post406338359

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

No worries, you've helped me out a ton. This isn't your fault.

At least now I know it's coming in on Thursday.

Asterios
Apr 17, 2008

So long, Skorpex!

https://www.presidentbaby.com
I finally got ICS today on my E3D-4G. I downloaded Chrome, which is buggy as hell, but everything else looks and feels like a brand new phone.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Am I remembering/understanding it right that SERO users can't take advantage of deals on phones on Amazon?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Krime posted:

Am I remembering/understanding it right that SERO users can't take advantage of deals on phones on Amazon?
Correct. Or any other store, for that matter.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

td4guy posted:

Correct. Or any other store, for that matter.

So, buy outright somewhere, or upgrade price through Sprint. Got it.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

wooom wooom vroooom ksh ksh vooom

Giblet posted:

Where do you upgrade that they don't have you sign or agree to anything. In a sprint store you agree to the contract and etf on a signature pad, online it brings you through the same information, over the phone they read you the whole thread thing out loud.

It's Sprints fault that he didn't read anything.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

How's the LTE signal on Sprint? Is it horrible at penetrating buildings like WiMax?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

How's the LTE signal on Sprint? Is it horrible at penetrating buildings like WiMax?

Honestly, it's hard to make a call at this point. I was in Ft Worth and LTE dropped out in the convention center, but who knows whether all the towers are there yet.

It's definitely better, and definitely way better on battery life (battery life was a big surprise for me), but it won't be as good as Verizon right now. I'd say anywhere you get sprint 3G is a good gage of what it will be since it's the same frequency. It will improve whenever they roll out coverage on Nextels frequency (I forget though whether that will be LTE or just 3G).

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

Duckman2008 posted:

Honestly, it's hard to make a call at this point. I was in Ft Worth and LTE dropped out in the convention center, but who knows whether all the towers are there yet.

It's definitely better, and definitely way better on battery life (battery life was a big surprise for me), but it won't be as good as Verizon right now. I'd say anywhere you get sprint 3G is a good gage of what it will be since it's the same frequency. It will improve whenever they roll out coverage on Nextels frequency (I forget though whether that will be LTE or just 3G).

The SMR band will not have any 3G, it is going directly to voice and LTE.

I know this has been coverd but can you buy out your contract to reset upgrade eligibility? I am definitely going to be upgrading to the new iPhone when it is released but I'm obviously only one year into my contract. Or will it make any difference buying out the contract vs paying the unsubsidized iPhone price? I presume if I do that there shouldn't be any contract extension and they will fully unlock my old phone.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
What happened to the Wireless "On/Off" quick setting in 4.0 for my EVO 3D? :( Instead of a toggle, now I have to go into the wireless access points and disable it from there. It's just an extra click, but Wifi On/Off no longer appears to be a quick setting, dangit.

For what it's worth, I feel like ICS has improved (what I feel) was an already capable phone even more. Stability is improved, memory management seems better, screen transitions are smoother, you can remove panels as you like, and in general the UI just feels much more refined. I get that Sense has its warts, but it's still a really solid phone and I have had virtually no issues.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Ender.uNF posted:

The SMR band will not have any 3G, it is going directly to voice and LTE.

I know this has been coverd but can you buy out your contract to reset upgrade eligibility? I am definitely going to be upgrading to the new iPhone when it is released but I'm obviously only one year into my contract. Or will it make any difference buying out the contract vs paying the unsubsidized iPhone price? I presume if I do that there shouldn't be any contract extension and they will fully unlock my old phone.

We did basically this when we replaced my wife's Evo Shift still under contract. The store associates couldn't help us, but the retentions number in the OP did.

If you pay full retail price instead, you do not re-up your contract. I'm not sure what you mean by "fully unlock" your old phone... You should be able to activate that on another line, if that's what you mean.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

a shameful boehner posted:

What happened to the Wireless "On/Off" quick setting in 4.0 for my EVO 3D? :( Instead of a toggle, now I have to go into the wireless access points and disable it from there. It's just an extra click, but Wifi On/Off no longer appears to be a quick setting, dangit.

For what it's worth, I feel like ICS has improved (what I feel) was an already capable phone even more. Stability is improved, memory management seems better, screen transitions are smoother, you can remove panels as you like, and in general the UI just feels much more refined. I get that Sense has its warts, but it's still a really solid phone and I have had virtually no issues.

I'm jealous. I still can't figure out what I need to do to get this update while keeping my phone rooted. From what I can tell, I'll have to update my bootloader, but I'm seeing confusing reports that people who were S-OFF (like me) and update the bootloader retain S-OFF but with a locked bootloader. I don't understand it at all.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
So the other day I tapped my power button to wake up my SGS2E4G and noticed that the button no longer has the "click" action it used to. It's hard to explain, but when you push the power button, there was a physical "click" that I used to feel. Now it's like something in the button mechanism broke and there is no "action" to the button any more. The button still powers the phone on and off, so there is no functionality change, just a physical one.

My concern is that this is an indication that the button is actually on its way to breaking entirely and one day, I won't be able to turn the phone on.

The phone is still under the year hardware warranty through Samsung, but I really don't want to send it in and be without a phone for a week to ten days. I'm not really worried that they won't replace it, since there is no physical damage to the phone, I just need my phone for day to day living.

I'm guessing that I'm out of luck and will have to ship it off anyway, since I'm assuming Sprint won't do anything about it? If they replace the phone, what is the quality of refurb phone I can expect?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

brc64 posted:

I'm jealous. I still can't figure out what I need to do to get this update while keeping my phone rooted. From what I can tell, I'll have to update my bootloader, but I'm seeing confusing reports that people who were S-OFF (like me) and update the bootloader retain S-OFF but with a locked bootloader. I don't understand it at all.

I wish I could tell you. I've never rooted because I simply don't want to gently caress with my phone that much, and frankly stock ICS gives me anything I really want anyway.

Have you considered unrooting for the time being, then going back later if you miss what root gives you too much? Speaking of that, what does rooting on your 3D provide that you enjoy/need?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

I wish I could tell you. I've never rooted because I simply don't want to gently caress with my phone that much, and frankly stock ICS gives me anything I really want anyway.

Have you considered unrooting for the time being, then going back later if you miss what root gives you too much? Speaking of that, what does rooting on your 3D provide that you enjoy/need?

The problem is that if he is actually S-OFF from Revolutionary (like I am) is that it's far better than HTC's pseudo root that still blocks certain things like changing kernels and whatnot. Unrooting and updating leaves you at the mercy of HTC. There doesn't seem to be a good guide for people who were hboot 1.4 s-off via revolutionary without the possibility of losing full s-off.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
The bootloader says "LOCKED" but it's not - the phone remains unlocked and S-OFF with the latest firmware.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Oh man, I just got an email from UPS that says the scheduled delivery date on the phone is today. Thing is, on the site it still says the date is tomorrow.

I didn't want to get my hopes up again today but here we go.

:supaburn:

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
I'm looking for some feedback from other goons whom have used a Verizon/Sprint corporate PRL for 3G roaming.

I followed the directions from XDA here. When I installed the "newer" 00002.prl, I was getting fluctuating signal strength and speadtest of ~700ms ping, 20 down, 70 up. Dialing *2 did get me Verizon's customer service.

Then I installed the "old" 00001.prl, I'm getting 180ms ping, 420 down, 500 up, which isn't any better than I get on Sprint 3G. I live in a good-to-great Verizon coverage area that was one of Verizon's early LTE cities. Should I be seeing higher speeds on Verizon 3G?

Is there a recommended signal app that will show I'm on Verizon and 1x/3G? It's an Evo 3D, so it always shows 3G, and there's no triangle roaming indicator when using the Verizon PRL.

Finally, I'm doing this so I can drop my brother's line. When Sprint sends the warning letters and cancels service, do they do it on the affected line or the entire family plan?

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

brc64 posted:

Why not just install the latest version of meanrom? It's based on the sprint release isn't it?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

goku chewbacca posted:

Is there a recommended signal app that will show I'm on Verizon and 1x/3G? It's an Evo 3D, so it always shows 3G, and there's no triangle roaming indicator when using the Verizon PRL.

Try Netmonitor.

What happened to the Wireless "On/Off" quick setting in 4.0 for my EVO 3D? :(

Mine still has it. Check again? Look under Widgets - Settings.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Hdip posted:

Why not just install the latest version of meanrom? It's based on the sprint release isn't it?
I really don't feel like starting from scratch. I'm running the latest stock Gingerbread OTA (rooted) now, so ideally, I'd like to just install a root-friendly ICS OTA as if I were updating a non-rooted phone. But I can't find any decent guide for how to do that...

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
There probably isn't a way, since anyone who's truly rooted is going to be fine just putting a ROM on. Rooting is really important to me, too, in that wifi tether+adfree are constantly being used, so I wouldn't do the OTA update. Then again, I'm one of the people who saw basically no difference going to ICS so I'm an outlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Today is the day :toot:

I'm really excited about this, just have to get work out of the way first.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)