Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

landcollector posted:

Going balls to the wall in an ARCHER, a dedicated Fire Support mech, seems like a pretty drat stupid idea to me.

I wasn't referring to you. I was referring to other people... I should have made that more clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
The tone in here is starting to get very tetchy. Obviously the current mechwarriors are morons, as are the people giving them advice, and so PTN should pass all the mechs to me, and you alls can make the pew-pew noises.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If you refer to our extensive discussions, Krab, you will discover that we are doing our utmost to optimize movement mods vs. range brackets. Simply charging the enemy with most or all of our mechs would be highly stupid. We are being very smart.

We've taken out six Clan assets and severely damaged two more, for the loss, so far, a single inner sphere mech (and that was to a lucky headshot). I feel like we're actually doing brilliantly. Especially when you consider that unlike every single previous mission in this thread, our strategy must be based first on force preservation, and only second on victory.

E.g., it would be better to lose this fight but preserve most of our force, than win the fight at the cost of most of our force. Not that we're going to lose, but you need to keep that in mind.

In that light, "balls to the walls dudes!" is bad advice.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
H5 Warhammer IIC
- Fires ER PPC
- Fires ER PPC
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser
- SRM-6 at Y8 Flashman, hits

Plus one heat from walking. I make that 55 heat. Does the WHM-IIC have more sinks than it does in canon, or is it in shutdown roll territory?

Brandy Collins
Sep 17, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

If you refer to our extensive discussions, Krab, you will discover that we are doing our utmost to optimize movement mods vs. range brackets. Simply charging the enemy with most or all of our mechs would be highly stupid. We are being very smart.

We've taken out six Clan assets and severely damaged two more, for the loss, so far, a single inner sphere mech (and that was to a lucky headshot). I feel like we're actually doing brilliantly. Especially when you consider that unlike every single previous mission in this thread, our strategy must be based first on force preservation, and only second on victory.

E.g., it would be better to lose this fight but preserve most of our force, than win the fight at the cost of most of our force. Not that we're going to lose, but you need to keep that in mind.

In that light, "balls to the walls dudes!" is bad advice.

Pretty much this.

I think in terms of what we do have control over we are not doing too badly at all. We may still lose, but I think we are helping our odds through our choices more than we are hindering them.

It's not that we don't appreciate the criticism / differing opinions / etc. We just reserve the right to disagree without being told we are objectively wrong. Unless we are, in which case just supply the math and we will be properly schooled! :)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Not sure if I agree. With your piloting skill levels and sheer numbers/size, not to mention movement priority, melee attacks could be the great equalizer.

Of course, you're going to suffer losses either way.

edit: typo

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 8, 2012

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I don't think gooncompany is remotely close to losing this fight. They've got nearly a full company of functional IS 1.5 mechs, including an assault lance, against five clan mechs and about that many vehicles? Don't get me wrong, they're going to continue taking lots of damage, but trading one mech for five clan vehicles, while stripping most of the armor off of that warhammer, and whatever other damage you've done? I'd say that's well worth it.

Besides, what's the "critical" damage gooncompany's suffered? Gyro TAC on the Atlas, LRM-20 crit on the Archer (reducing it to 2/3 effectiveness after it dumps the ammo-Archers are pretty solid L1 brawlers between lasers and physical combat), and the headcap? Two of those are functionally unpreventable, and the other is expected.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
I think the players have done a solid job at focusing fire, but I do think they have allowed themselves to get distracted and separated fighting low threat decoy VTOLs and hover tanks. Right now the heavy lance is facing the brunt of the enemy fire. The headcap was unlucky, but that Flashman was going to be in pretty bad shape regardless. The assaults need to get into the fight ASAP, or else the heavy lance will be routed and the enemy will turn its fire to the fragile light lance.

Remember that the Mars hasn't even really engaged yet. That is a lot of firepower just waiting to maul the players.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

KnoxZone posted:

The headcap was unlucky, but that Flashman was going to be in pretty bad shape regardless.

Aside from the headcap, no breaches. Next turn I could have been in the WHM-IIC's rear arc, with the bulk of the enemy forces to the south with better targets. The risk was acceptable, and I'd do the same again if I had my time over.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

We've been trying to take out the units with ECM, actually. It's shut down most of our iHK missile shots and that's cutting into accuracy. It's also easy for one of our light/medium mechs to take out a VTOL in one round of shooting, and they've been giving us pretty good to-hits.

It's always a tough choice whether to focus-fire on a heavy (and still maybe take two or more turns to take it out) vs. spread fire vs vehicles and lights (and maybe fail to take one out, while absorbing fire from the heavies). Reducing the number of enemy units to react to is valuable, but taking out the headcapper-capable units is valuable too.

It seemed like taking out the ECM capables gave us a little push towards vehicle-plinking though.

Arcturas posted:

Besides, what's the "critical" damage gooncompany's suffered? Gyro TAC on the Atlas, LRM-20 crit on the Archer (reducing it to 2/3 effectiveness after it dumps the ammo-Archers are pretty solid L1 brawlers between lasers and physical combat), and the headcap? Two of those are functionally unpreventable, and the other is expected.

We've also had a foot hit on one of the Pos that pushed its move down to 4/6 (REALLY annoying because that slows down our whole lance if we try to stay together), and several of us have exposed locations (my leg is stripped, for example). We're going to take more casualties for sure, even if we play optimally. My hope is that we'll just have non-fatal things like a legged mech, because preserving our highly-skilled pilots might be even more important than preserving a medium mech here or there (assuming we can get some salvage, mechs might wind up being more replaceable than 2/1 pilots).

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

KnoxZone posted:

Remember that the Mars hasn't even really engaged yet. That is a lot of firepower just waiting to maul the players.

Not for long. :ninja:

(watch it kill me)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Leperflesh posted:

Total Warfare page 57

Was all you needed to post to get me to double-check.

PoptartsNinja posted:

General discussion of core game mechanics is OK. Full-out explanations of how the game works, or other copy-pasta of the rulebooks is NOT PERMITTED.

Edit: Please go back and edit your post.

Double-Edit: Looking at the math, if you're moved you also miss M4 with your flamer. I know the damage trade isn't in your favor, but I do want to make certain before I alter anything.

AJ_Impy posted:

H5 Warhammer IIC
- Fires ER PPC
- Fires ER PPC
- SRM-6 at Y8 Flashman, hits

Plus one heat from walking. I make that 55 heat. Does the WHM-IIC have more sinks than it does in canon, or is it in shutdown roll territory?

I'll have to double-check that. It should've been at +10 heat exactly, since the SRM-6 shouldn't have fired. I may have been overzealous.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 8, 2012

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Arquinsiel posted:

Any time we've used it in campaign play it's never used unless it'd kill the pilot. The mech is normally marginally easier to replace at short notice.

I think it's only been used a few times to do something other than avoid death/serious injury (Said grenade launcher to the chest, for example, would have only crippled the PC). And even then it was "We need this to go through" moments.

It works well, actually.

KnoxZone posted:

I think the players have done a solid job at focusing fire, but I do think they have allowed themselves to get distracted and separated fighting low threat decoy VTOLs and hover tanks. Right now the heavy lance is facing the brunt of the enemy fire. The headcap was unlucky, but that Flashman was going to be in pretty bad shape regardless. The assaults need to get into the fight ASAP, or else the heavy lance will be routed and the enemy will turn its fire to the fragile light lance.

Frankly none of the VTOLs are 'decoy'. One has a Gauss Rifle and the other two carry ER Large Lasers, which hit as hard as an IS PPC with even better range.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Aug 8, 2012

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Fair enough, I'm just going by the weapons fire as written, which has the SSRM firing and hitting. It was, after all, a valid target when the weapon was fired.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

AJ_Impy posted:

Fair enough, I'm just going by the weapons fire as written, which has the SSRM firing and hitting. It was, after all, a valid target when the weapon was fired.

Warhammer IICs mount standard SRM-6s, not Streaks.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Taerkar posted:

Frankly none of the VTOLs are 'decoy'. One has a Gauss Rifle and the other two carry ER Large Lasers, which hit as hard as an IS PPC with even better range.

a cERLL is a dangerous weapon, but pales in comparison to what things like the Whammy IIC and Athena can do. Donar are most dangerous when they can use their mobility and weapons combination to backstab, which is almost impossible with them always losing init.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

landcollector posted:

Warhammer IICs mount standard SRM-6s, not Streaks.

They do indeed, my mistake.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Was all you needed to post to get me to double-check.

Edit: Please go back and edit your post.

Double-Edit: Looking at the math, if you're moved you also miss M4 with your flamer. I know the damage trade isn't in your favor, but I do want to make certain before I alter anything.

I've edited the post per your request. Sorry, I'd forgotten about your rule about not discussing the rules.

I realize that the damage exchange isn't in my favor; however, I am the kind of wargames player that prefers slavish attention to the rules, to actually winning, and will happily declare that no actually my guy is dead because you forgot x y z, much to the frustration of my teammates.

KnoxZone posted:

a cERLL is a dangerous weapon, but pales in comparison to what things like the Whammy IIC and Athena can do. Donar are most dangerous when they can use their mobility and weapons combination to backstab, which is almost impossible with them always losing init.

In turns 3 and 4, we were looking at situations where if we don't take out the Donars, they will very definitely be forcing the mediums and lights to either turn a back to a Donar next round, or, turn a back to a mech next round. In fact, last turn our slowed Po (Y10) had almost no movement options that didn't present a backshot with a good to-hit to a clanner with a weapon that would probably kill him if it hit.

That said, we have poured a tremendous amount of fire into the IIc last turn, and the main reason it's still standing at all is a combination of some unlucky dice rolls and the damage winding up pretty thoroughly spread out.

I had a pretty good shot of destroying or crippling the Incubus 2 last turn, as well, but I missed with three 7+ shots.

I think we're doing a good job of balancing our firing priorities against our maneuvering needs. Lance 3 has gotten quite broken up, but I kind of think that's OK too, since as a group it lacks the punch to take out a clan heavy (and was going to lose a mech each round trying) but was out of position to take on other units.

Lance 1 got hung up by the buildings and that Jenner. If we've made one serious error so far, I'd say it's not realizing a couple turns in advance that we'd be better off bringing the heavies straight east and then north up the paved road. We were tempted by turn-1 easy hits on the stuff on the other side of the buildings, and then turn-2 chance to kill a heavy tank while its crew was stunned combined with the annoying jenner.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 8, 2012

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

And I catch back up with this game in time to see a Flashman eat a ERPPC to the face. Shame about that, losing that experienced pilot as well as the Mech, which is probably only good for salvage now... The Archer losing one of its LRM-20s is bad news as well, since it's main contribution to this battle is now going to be halved.

Still, all those Clan copters are down, though the heavier Clan tanks moving up give me pause, along with the Warhammer IIC still being pretty threatening. However, with it standing out in the open like that, it shouldn't last that much longer, hopefully.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I stood still because it afforded me better to hits on the Warhammer and mechs had worse to hits on me in comparison. It worked out pretty well! (nobody actually shot at me)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
So, yeah. Finally finished the unit breakdown for the Clan `Mechs and Tanks on the field. Special thanks go to our very own George Ledoux. Are you listening to him on the No Guts, No Galaxy podcast? 'Cause you should be.

Clan Unit Breakdown

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

So, yeah. Finally finished the unit breakdown for the Clan `Mechs and Tanks on the field. Special thanks go to our very own George Ledoux. Are you listening to him on the No Guts, No Galaxy podcast? 'Cause you should be.

Clan Unit Breakdown

:swoon: This is a great thing.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Clan Unit Breakdown
This is a thing of beauty. Kinda surprised you called out the Thresher for lackluster mobility, as a 5/8[10]/5 heavy is pretty drat mobile.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 8, 2012

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

PoptartsNinja posted:

Clan Unit Breakdown

Nigh unpronounceable.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Clan Unit Breakdown

This was delightful to listen to. Thank you for providing your voice talents for this scenario's unit breakdown Mr. Ledoux.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Clan Unit Breakdown

This is awesome, and you should feel awesome Mr. Ledoux. And kudos to you for the writing PTN!

Brandy Collins
Sep 17, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Clan Unit Breakdown

Every time I think this thread couldn't possibly get any better, something like this happens.

Excellent job out of both of you. Entertaining and informative!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

KnoxZone posted:

This is a thing of beauty. Kinda surprised you called out the Thresher for lackluster mobility, as a 5/8[10]/5 heavy is pretty drat mobile.

It's a 4/6[8]/4

Edit: and extremely expensive because of the MASC.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That was brilliant (and I have not had exposure to Mr. Ledoux before).

The Incubus does not have "nearly double" the armor of the Jenner IIc, though. Incubus: 5.5 tons. Jenner: 3.5 tons. That's a 71% increase. But I'll let it slide because the Jenner is so bad it actually seems like it's only got 2.75 tons of armor.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's a 4/6[8]/4

Edit: and extremely expensive because of the MASC.

I am almost certain that it is a 5/8[10]/5 mech. I have fought against enough of them to be terrified by that burst speed and close ranged firepower. This is assuming that you haven't modified it. You have it listed as such in your last turn update.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 8, 2012

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
... Huh.

You're right. I could've sworn it was only 4/6.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

... Huh.

You're right. I could've sworn it was only 4/6.

I am going to take full credit when it runs down and ganks a player.

SageSepth
May 10, 2004
Luck is probability given way to superstition

PoptartsNinja posted:

Clan Unit Breakdown

Glorious, thank you for this.

Schneeble
May 4, 2010

The grandest hats
or GTFO.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Clan Unit Breakdown

Chiming in to agree with others that this was amazing. Even my 3-year-old walked by partway through and was transfixed. When the clip was over he said he wanted to hear the man talking about more robots, to which I could only respond, "So do I, son. So do I."

E: Grammar, and also to add that I really enjoy the thread as a whole and I'm rooting for goonlance all the way.

Schneeble fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 9, 2012

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Schneeble posted:

Chiming in to agree with others that this was amazing. Even my 3-year-old walked by partway through and was transfixed. When the clip was over he asked to hear the man talking about more robots, to which I could only respond, "So do I, son. So do I."

And so another is brought to the fold, get him some mechwarrior stuff for birthdays.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Witzapu-

Whatzepi-

Hootsopu-

Gesundheit.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Clan Unit Breakdown

Beautiful.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Taerkar posted:

I think it's only been used a few times to do something other than avoid death/serious injury (Said grenade launcher to the chest, for example, would have only crippled the PC). And even then it was "We need this to go through" moments.

It works well, actually.
Yeah, it's a rather handy system to prevent Battletechs 2% gently caress you rolls from ending the campaign in the first turn of fire. I've not really played AToW more than the odd pre-made game, so it really didn't come up much there. Usually we're just running a roster of pilots in mechs for Battletech.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Clan Unit Breakdown
That infiltrator took one hell of a beating for a 5 armour single location...

This is a thing of beauty. Please continue to enrich our lives the pair of ye.

seekerwithin
Oct 29, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Clan Unit Breakdown

./cheers
More more!

Thanks to both of you -- that was most outstanding!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

PoptartsNinja posted:

Clan Unit Breakdown

This is exceptionally cool of George Ledoux.

• Locked thread