Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

A Sleepy Budgie posted:

But are Australian Shepherds that small?

Cohen is. :) She's about 20" at the withers and weighs ~36 lbs. Plus, they're breeding 'em mini now. Breed standard calls for between 35 and 70 lbs.

I don't think she's an Aussie though. I would just go with "herder mix". Funnily enough, there's a dog who looks eerily similar to her who lives in my neighbourhood - brindle, same body type and fur. They're both absolutely gorgeous dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
It's on the small side for Aussies, but since it's a mix--nevermind I just saw a life less' post. :downs: I say go with that, some kind of herder mix, maybe all the herding breeds are in there, who knows.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Maybe a Kelpie mix? Depends. Where did you get her, wyrm?

wyrm
Apr 11, 2009
Thanks for weighing in everyone! Cohen is magnificent, btw. And such a wise expression in that picture.

"Herder mix" sounds good to me, I'm starting to doubt I'll get much closer than that and even if I wanted her tested the results would probably just confuse things more. She definitely nipped at my ankles a few times when I first got her home but I nipped that obnoxious poo poo in the bud.

Bear Rape posted:

Maybe a Kelpie mix? Depends. Where did you get her, wyrm?

I got her from a coworker-of-a-friend-of-an-and-so-on two towns over, his wife was allergic to her so they were just giving her away. When I went to pick her up they'd already gotten her replacement, some weird looking "hypoallergenic" breed I couldn't identify as anything but a total rear end in a top hat.

When I took her it was her third rehoming, so they couldn't even tell me what her mom and dad looked like. I suspect they don't really know poo poo about dogs and wouldn't have been much help anyway; when I brought her home she had mean cases of fleas and hookworms, and her back was sprinkled with little skin flakes from a food allergy. She was also even skinnier, if you can imagine that. Their front yard and walkway were covered in what I can only assume was the poo poo of both dogs, so hopefully they got their new dog to a vet soon after to detect and treat the hookworms it almost certainly also picked up from there.

Props to them for not just taking her right to a shelter though, I guess.

Come to think of it a case of hookworms left untreated for a sufficient amount of time could have stunted her growth and would explain her smallish size, right? The grain allergy symptoms say "lovely diet" at least. Down the rabbit hole we go.

wyrm fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 4, 2012

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!

baquack obamailure posted:

This is my mutt Izzie with my daughter. This is legit and not rigged. Wherever my daughter is, Izzie is.

here, she reminds me of pit, but i've gotten greyhound a lot too

my child will try to eat the dog's tail on a regular basis.

Izzie always licking my child. Sometimes, it leads to insane giggling. Other times, my daughter will push her away.

Your dog is a doppelgänger for my dog Lucy who's a GSD/maybe lab/maybe pit/maybe jack russel mix....I don't really see the greyhound at all.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Where did you get that adorable rug?

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!

Kerfuffle posted:

Where did you get that adorable rug?

Pier 1 :shobon:

baquack obamailure
Feb 20, 2009

Tiny Faye posted:

Your dog is a doppelgänger for my dog Lucy who's a GSD/maybe lab/maybe pit/maybe jack russel mix....I don't really see the greyhound at all.

total doppleganger!! It's when she runs; the way that her body moves when she runs, makes people come ask me if she's greyhound/whippet/some sort of sight hound.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

We just picked up our first dog today. A year-old rescue from Lousiana that was brought up to a shelter in upstate NY. Incredibly calm and quiet, although it's possible she's just very tired. Not sure what's in her other than Shepard. She's polydactyl on just one rear paw.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

bisticles posted:

We just picked up our first dog today. A year-old rescue from Lousiana that was brought up to a shelter in upstate NY. Incredibly calm and quiet, although it's possible she's just very tired. Not sure what's in her other than Shepard. She's polydactyl on just one rear paw.

Is that a freckly paw or just the light? Can you get a picture of her whole body? What size is she?

Definitely see the shepherd its hard to tell the rest without more info. She has such a sweet face! You can tell she's had a long day though. The extra claw is probably a home dewclaw removal gone wrong unless it is a double dewclaw.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Great, thanks for taking a look! Yeah, she's very very tired. Just one paw is white freckled, and she is 36" long from nose to butt, not counting a very long tail.

Trying to get some walking-around pics, but right now, all she wants to do is chill out.

edit: body

an AOL chatroom fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 6, 2012

baquack obamailure
Feb 20, 2009
That's a beautiful dog, why does she have 2 'thumb' nails?

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
Yup, that'd a double dew-claw. Appears to be on both back paws. Usually they are removed right after the dog is born because they can tear off so easily. Plus I think it just looks weird.

Some breeds just have them, don't know why.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Meet Jaxon, (I call him Jackson, but that is my girlfriends spelling) my little ball of love and energy. He is seriously the nicest, sweetest, fun dog ive ever had or encountered. He is our little man, and dang we love him a whole lot

Honestly, he is so well behaved and can listen so well, except when the door is open, there is stuff to smell or THINGS!!!!

He is a great cuddler too!

His favorite hobby after Doing The Running and Play with the dogs is to go asleep

My girlfriend and I have no idea what he is a mix of, and it is our favorite game to guess and chat about. The shelter said chihuahua and given a. his temperament and b. his what we consider to be chihuahua features, we disagree. If you have any ideas, they are more than welcome, because it adds more fodder to the "What Are You Dog" conversation. :)

All in all he is a great dog and I wouldn't trade him for any other dog. but then I wouldn't trade any of my dogs so that's probably a useless statement

Also we have Yang, who is also lovely and sweet, when she isn't bossing the other dogs around :)
We don't know much about her either, other than she had a light gold shepherd-type dog for a mom.

sorry for all the cell phone pics, digital camera took a dive.

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
Chihuahua/pug/beagle?? He is definitely cute though!

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

Well, here's my answer...
Part some kind of terrier? Yang is super-pretty!

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
This is Missy!

They told me she was a sheltie mix, but I have no idea what she is - I don't see any sheltie in her, and the fact that she's super overweight means I might be seeing certain breeds because she's pudgy, not because she's part whatever. Any ideas?

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

bisticles posted:

update: Just got her back from the vet and they said that her adult teeth have just come in, so she's probably closer to 6 months than 1 year and we should expect her to get bigger. Not sure if 5 pounds or 25 pounds, but bigger. Gulp. Also, the freckled paw is because that's where they shaved her for the iv when she got spayed. It's the under-fur and will be covered up when it grows back in.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Direwolf posted:

This is Missy!

They told me she was a sheltie mix, but I have no idea what she is - I don't see any sheltie in her, and the fact that she's super overweight means I might be seeing certain breeds because she's pudgy, not because she's part whatever. Any ideas?

She looks like an Aussie mix. For some reason I'm thinking Dachshund too.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

a life less posted:

She looks like an Aussie mix. For some reason I'm thinking Dachshund too.

I thought Aussie too. Aussie/spaniel, I think.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I thought there was some spaniel in there too, but I can also see Aussie.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Skizzles posted:

I thought there was some spaniel in there too, but I can also see Aussie.

Are Aussies ratters? Personality wise, she's mellow, really likes people, doesn't care about other dogs, and is pretty cuddly but we saw our first rat/mouse last night and she FREAKED out and shot straight at it - she was pulling so hard on the leash she flew into the air and kept like flailing on her back feet, standing up, to get at it.

I had thought aussie/corgi mix, but aussie/dachshund would make sense, too - her head is really skinny like a dachshund head, and she's kinda long for a corgi.

kaiger
Oct 21, 2003

Flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.
I love mutts. I've been deployed for a while, so reading this thread makes me miss mine.
This is Mia:

and this is Kona:

Being solid black, they don't really photograph well. They are sisters, and a little over two years old. We adopted them from a rescue organization after they were found under someone's porch with seven other puppies after their stray mother was euthanized. She was extremely malnourished when found and giving birth to nine puppies was apparently too much for her. The people that found her couldn't find the litter for two days. Six of the nine puppies survived and were bottle-fed until weaning. These two were lucky enough to be fostered together and we couldn't separate them.

Kona on right, Mia left
We're not sure what they are breed-wise, but we think they have chow because of the purple tongues. We were toying with the idea of DNA tests, but in the end it doesn't matter what they are. They are the sweetest dogs and very well behaved and I can't wait to see them when I get home.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Direwolf posted:

Are Aussies ratters? Personality wise, she's mellow, really likes people, doesn't care about other dogs, and is pretty cuddly but we saw our first rat/mouse last night and she FREAKED out and shot straight at it - she was pulling so hard on the leash she flew into the air and kept like flailing on her back feet, standing up, to get at it.

I had thought aussie/corgi mix, but aussie/dachshund would make sense, too - her head is really skinny like a dachshund head, and she's kinda long for a corgi.

Dachshund would make a lot of sense with that behavior, as they're natural ratters and hunters. Aussies have more herder type behavior I think.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Australian Shepherds are herders, yes. Very smart dogs.

I vote Aussie/Dachshund/Spaniel. :buddy:

edit: This is why we say Aussie, btw.

kaiger posted:

We're not sure what they are breed-wise, but we think they have chow because of the purple tongues. We were toying with the idea of DNA tests, but in the end it doesn't matter what they are. They are the sweetest dogs and very well behaved and I can't wait to see them when I get home.

Purple tongues are not unique to Chows, actually. They can show up in a variety of breeds. I'd say your dogs are some sort of typical Lab or Flat-coated Retriever mixes. Also, the DNA tests are largely a load of utter crap, so save your money and enjoy your dags. :3:

Skizzles fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 9, 2012

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
So this irs Terabyte a month later at 4 months old. She's groomed now and healthy. Easily grew about 50% her old size.

So she points sometimes when stalking bugs in the backyard, has brown patches, and I'm not exaggerating when I say it took an hour long walk and an hour of rigorous exercize at the dog park to actually wear her out. My best guess now is that I landed a cockapoo. She had health issues when I first got her, so I never noticed all the energy. Are thee other breeds she could be that would make this dog have non stop energy an look like this?

Editing on a phone is the worst

Veskit fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 10, 2012

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I have been taking my new "rescue" dog Bo, on 2-3 hours of walks nearly every day. He hasn't broken into the trashcan since we began this, despite one or two mornings where he plopped himself down on the back deck and refused to get up to jump into the car and come to the office with me, and thus was left at home for 4-8 hours at a stretch (before I gt rid of his owner, he would break into the garbage at least once a day and leave torn paper towels and chewed up food containers all over the house/deck.)

I think he's a pit/lab cross, although he looks strikingly like a dingo. He's got a crazy prey instinct which has already caused me to tweak my elbow holding him back from squirrels, cats, and the occasional toy dog in someone's front yard. I'm very impressed by his level of response with most basic tricks however, his recall really worries me so far. It's only been a week or ten days, though. I need to take him in and get him neutered, although I won't have a chance for the next week or two. He's a few pounds short of a weight which I'd be happy with as well, you could easily see his ribs, spinal column, and musculature last week, although he's certainly put on a couple pounds after eating more+better food and getting regular exercise for a few days in a row.

edit: :laffo:, he's barking/howling and running in his sleep right now (woo-woo-woo-woo-woo-snore)

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Aug 10, 2012

baquack obamailure
Feb 20, 2009
Your dog's personality sounds like a dead ringer for mine on a few levels. She makes those same crazy noises in her sleep. She used to go through the trash, litter box, laundry. She chewed a $500 pair of glasses when we first got her. She has a crazy, crazy prey instinct too. Cats, squirrels, small dogs. She actually broke our front window trying to get to a squirrel outside. Not only that, but she's extremely protective of me and my daughter. When I was pregnant with my daughter, she nearly ate an AC repairman who got 5 feet too close to me. I take her on a walk every night and I've noticed that helps out tremendously with her overprotection and chewing. I like that she's protective, but it can get taxing when my friends come over and she knows them, but doesn't want them anywhere near me or my daughter. She's remarkably toned down since the walks. Everyone comments that she looks primarily pit. When she runs, she has a smooth stride like a running dog. When she was a pup, most people thought she was whippet/greyhound. I wonder which dog has that sort of prey instinct. I'd love to hear more about your pup as time goes on.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

A Sleepy Budgie posted:

Yup, that'd a double dew-claw. Appears to be on both back paws. Usually they are removed right after the dog is born because they can tear off so easily. Plus I think it just looks weird.

Some breeds just have them, don't know why.

The breeds that typically have double dewclaws pretty much never have them removed. Mostly it's various livestock guardian breeds, the most common of which being the Great Pyrenees and Beauceron which almost without exception have them. They've been known to show up in other LGD breeds too and in randombred dogs (obviously).

Also the breed genetic tests do not "have absolutely no basis in reality," that's completely wrong. Citing people using them to test purebreds (which every company that does the tests flat out says WILL NOT WORK) and dogs not being what you guess they are based on appearance is not sufficient to say that. They're not always right, and nobody has claimed such, but it's just as off base to say they're always wrong, too.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta

Topoisomerase posted:

Citing people using them to test purebreds (which every company that does the tests flat out says WILL NOT WORK)

I'm curious why this is! I've heard this argument before, that the test manufacturers include this exception because it would be too easy to prove that they super-faulty and not worth your while using purebred dogs or mixed-breeds with known lineage. It all sounds a little :tinfoil: to me but on the other hand, I have never seen test results that weren't a complete joke, so...

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

demozthenes posted:

It all sounds a little :tinfoil: to me but on the other hand, I have never seen test results that weren't a complete joke, so...

I don't know about testing a purebred dog (although there are wisdompanel tests to do that specifically now) but I think the quality of the results really depends on the person/program analysing them and just how mixed your mixed breed is. I think Major's results were very plausible:

There is an older, intact female st. bernard that is a regular at the pound that Major came from and ACD mixes are a dime a dozen in rural Ohio.

The stuff that makes up a smaller percentage of his genetic makeup is a lot more ridiculous but it's probably a lot more convoluted and requires more guesswork from the tech or computer program putting together the results.

(He's totally an American Eskimo mix)

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

demozthenes posted:

I'm curious why this is! I've heard this argument before, that the test manufacturers include this exception because it would be too easy to prove that they super-faulty and not worth your while using purebred dogs or mixed-breeds with known lineage. It all sounds a little :tinfoil: to me but on the other hand, I have never seen test results that weren't a complete joke, so...

It's because the algorithm they use to analyze the results of the DNA genotyping is inherently an algorithm that "wants" to separate the DNA markers into groups and assign probabilities/proportions to the groups. This is quite obviously incompatible with a purebred dog.

To the contrary too, known first generation mixed breed dogs (aka puggles and schnoodles and poo poo) should theoretically get the absolute best results. The more mutted up a dog is, the more difficult time the algorithm has in separating the results out.

The Wisdom Panel is probably the most accurate one available, and it really isn't that bad.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
So my wife and I recently baby-sat this dog, "MiMi" for a couple weeks:

Apparently she's a toy poodle but I'm wondering if there is anything special about her breed because I've had a difficult time finding a poodle that looks like her online but maybe it's just because she has a harrier/fluffier nose.

Wife and I miss her a lot and have realized we could afford a dog, but we both want one that looks/behaves like her, I'm sure this is going to be difficult :(

edit: The wife bought her that dress :\

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 11, 2012

mombot
Sep 28, 2010

mmmmmwah - Trophy kisses!

She's adorable.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Orange_Lazarus posted:

That dress is awful.

She's at least 75% poodle, and has slight features of other things they mix into toy poodles. Go look up the temperaments of toy/mini poodles online and see if they match up how the dog acted and take it from there.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Veskit posted:

She's at least 75% poodle, and has slight features of other things they mix into toy poodles. Go look up the temperaments of toy/mini poodles online and see if they match up how the dog acted and take it from there.

Additionally, if you're looking up breed traits, go through the official breed club website. Sites like dogbreeds.misinfo and puppiez4sale.com are horrifically inaccurate, but often the first ones to come up when you search for a dog breed.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

Orange_Lazarus posted:

So my wife and I recently baby-sat this dog, "MiMi" for a couple weeks:

Apparently she's a toy poodle but I'm wondering if there is anything special about her breed because I've had a difficult time finding a poodle that looks like her online but maybe it's just because she has a harrier/fluffier nose.

Wife and I miss her a lot and have realized we could afford a dog, but we both want one that looks/behaves like her, I'm sure this is going to be difficult :(

She probably just hasn't been cut in the stereotypical poodle cut and the groomers left her longer. Poodles can look like weird amalgamations of other dogs when not groomed in that recognizable clip.

Go look for a toy poodle in rescue; they're very easy to find. They're wonderful dogs, I fostered a bichon/poodle mix for a long time and I adored him. :3:

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
RE: Wisdom Panels

Here are my two mutts and their results. We only got them done because my girlfriend works at Banfield (so we get super discounts on everything pet related).
Here's Fudge. We've had him since sometime in March. He was listed as a collie mix at the human society.

Here's his Wisdom Panel result. It makes sense, but we were expecting some sort of Aussie (because of the brindle coat). He's got a Chow tongue. Despite being a mix of two of the most aggressive dogs, he's super chill.

Here's Hazelnut. We were tired of feeling guilty about not taking Fudge to the park every single day (we live in a medium sized apartment) so we got him a friend. She's about a year and a half old. This picture is around when we got her from the humane society and she was only 35 lbs (she's around 45 now and stands a fighting chance when wrestling/humping Fudge).

And here are her results :stare:

Okay well the 23% Shepherd part makes sense at least. She does have a hairless belly too, so maybe that's where the crested comes in?

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

wyrm posted:

This is [Spinning] Jenny. I originally picked her up as a small puppy from a local family that had no info on her parents (mine is her third and final home) but they thought she was a Border Collie. While I'm pretty sure there's some herding dog in her, possibly BC, I have no idea what the rest is. She's about 20" tall at the shoulder and a steady 36lbs, which I guess is about right for a BC but her coat, coloring and build seem off even considering the differences that exist among the breed. Her signature move is the mid-air 360, hence the name.

She's 11 months old but hasn't really changed in the last 3, so it's time to get some expert opinions on her heritage!

Hmmmmmm....

The wisdom panel for Fudge is in the previous post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

The Big Jesus posted:

It makes sense, but we were expecting some sort of Aussie (because of the brindle coat). He's got a Chow tongue.

I'm not sure Aussies even come in brindle (help me out here, Aussie people). I think you're thinking of merle. But yes your dog is brindle.

And I said this just a few posts ago right up the page that purple tongues are not unique to Chows, they can show up in several breeds. I think I'm going to have to rank this as the #1 most popular dog myth. I don't know why I even try anymore, everyone must think I'm retarded to get my panties in a bunch over it all the time. :downs: