Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

GWBBQ posted:

What's a good way to clean really dirty black and white negatives? We finally got a new scanner at work and I've been trying to finally scan the negatives ExecuDork shot and sent me last year (better late than never, right?) and I can buff them with kimwipes for a few minutes a frame and get most of it off, but some crud remains.

Sorry! :( My negs recently have been much cleaner, I'm not sure what I did wrong with that roll.

If you're going to use dishsoap or something like that, dilute it in some water first, it's much easier to measure out small volumes (a mL or two) than tiny volumes (less than a mL) and dishsoap is pretty viscous, making small measures even harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I just ordered 2 35mm rolls of Ilford SFX 200, has anyone got advice for using it? I'll be sticking it in a Pentax P30N, will this be a problem? I don't think the SFX 200 is proper IR film anyway so I'm not too worried about any of the P30n's camera parts using IR (I don't think they do)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
No, the P30 series uses a pressure takeup and a mechanical winder, it should be fine. And yeah SFX200 isn't a very deep infrared film anyway, it's just "extended red". To be safe you might want to load it in a darkroom and make sure your seals are up to par. Infrared does work its way around pretty well.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Should I use any sort of filter with it? I've heard deep reds mentioned but there's so much people on the internet who've posted about testing the film and then not following up on it that I'm confused.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Should I use any sort of filter with it? I've heard deep reds mentioned but there's so much people on the internet who've posted about testing the film and then not following up on it that I'm confused.

Basically from my experience with SFX200 in 120 format it's basically infrared plus your normal light spectrum. Meaning that even using a red filter will only yield a subtle effect.
If you want those snow white leaves you're going to need an IR filter like the R72 and rate the film at around EL40.

Also yes handling wise think of it as a super fast film. Like another poster said it fogs up quite easily so make sure you load it at least in a dimly lot room or better darkroom.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force
A good red 29 filter with SFX 200 will yield some really impressive results. You don't necessarily to go as a far as an IR filter.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Thanks, can't wait to try it out.

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel
2 Questions:
1. Does anyone use film scanners here? If so, which ones?
2. What is the difference between the film (that actually comes in a roll which you put into your camera) and the negatives. How do you get the latter from the former?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
1. If by "film scanner" you mean those little boxes that feed in a strip, one frame at a time, I think the answer is no.
A google search for "film scanner" brought me this, which is a box of foolishness. Don't get one.
I use a flatbed scanner with a light in the lid designed for scanning film. I got mine for $20 when somebody was moving, but the Epson V500 is very highly recommended around here and I think sells for like $100.

2. Film and negatives. It's always film. It's "unexposed film" when you buy it and load it in your camera. It's "exposed film" after you use it but before it has been developed.
Negatives are what you have after you develop the film - a synonym would be "developed film". Unless you use slide film, which is a positive film (rather than a negative film like B&W or colour print film); that's called "colour reversal film" sometimes.

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel

ExecuDork posted:

1. If by "film scanner" you mean those little boxes that feed in a strip, one frame at a time, I think the answer is no.
A google search for "film scanner" brought me this, which is a box of foolishness. Don't get one.
I use a flatbed scanner with a light in the lid designed for scanning film. I got mine for $20 when somebody was moving, but the Epson V500 is very highly recommended around here and I think sells for like $100.

2. Film and negatives. It's always film. It's "unexposed film" when you buy it and load it in your camera. It's "exposed film" after you use it but before it has been developed.
Negatives are what you have after you develop the film - a synonym would be "developed film". Unless you use slide film, which is a positive film (rather than a negative film like B&W or colour print film); that's called "colour reversal film" sometimes.

2. Ah, that makes sense.

It seems then that, unless you want/are able to develop your own film, that there isn't much point in buying a film scanner.

coronalight
Oct 12, 2006

asdfghjkl;

Anti-Derivative posted:

2. Ah, that makes sense.

It seems then that, unless you want/are able to develop your own film, that there isn't much point in buying a film scanner.

Not necessarily. Getting negatives back from a quick C41 place like CVS and scanning is quick and you'll make your money back after 5-10 rolls. Also, bulk developing with a lab and scanning the negatives you want rather than all of them, and wasting the money, is a smart way to go about it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

scotty posted:

Also, bulk developing with a lab and scanning the negatives you want rather than all of them, and wasting the money, is a smart way to go about it.

This is probably what I'm going to do when I get back from Scotland and Ireland.

Just got this for the trip too :toot:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Anti-Derivative posted:

I use a Veho VFS-008, the resolution is pretty bad and you need to colour correct but I shoot a lot of film and don't have time or money to get it all scanned so I just use this, it does the job and if I ever need anything properly scanned, I'll just bring it into a shop.

DJExile posted:

This is probably what I'm going to do when I get back from Scotland and Ireland.

Ireland :woop: We've loads of nice filming locations, please post whatever you take here!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ireland :woop: We've loads of nice filming locations, please post whatever you take here!

I'll mostly be around Dublin and the surrounding area. Anything specific I should seek out?

E: And I'll have 4 days in Belfast, Northern Ireland so if you have suggestions there too I'd love to hear them :shobon:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

DJExile posted:

I'll mostly be around Dublin and the surrounding area. Anything specific I should seek out?

Oh cool, I live in Dublin, there's loads of nice locations.
Try to get down to the Dublin Docklands at night time, there's some really nice lights, I was on a film shoot down there once and it's got some great places to shoot.
Glasnevin Cemetary is cool, Botanic Gardens if you're into Nature photography.
Try Ballymun or Finglas if you like shooting Urban stuff.

Temple Bar is a dream on the weekend for street photography, weekend goths everywhere and all other sorts of people.

Trinity College is cool too, it's full of old buildings if you're into architecture.

All in all, it's really easy to get around by bus or taxi.

Good luck, looking forward to seeing what you get!

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

I'll be in Dublin in a month or so. The missus is going to Cork for an academic conference and I'll be puttering around the country while she's busy.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

pseudonordic posted:

I'll be in Dublin in a month or so. The missus is going to Cork for an academic conference and I'll be puttering around the country while she's busy.

If you're going on any planned shoot locations, hit me up if you want someone to tag along, I'm always looking to go on shoots.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

If you're going on any planned shoot locations, hit me up if you want someone to tag along, I'm always looking to go on shoots.

You don't have PM's or so the forum tells me. Hit me up on AIM and we can chatter away :3:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm actually off now to go on a shoot with a few friends so I'll AIM you when I get back tomorrow!

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Anti-Derivative posted:

I use the PlusTek OpticFilm 8100 with great satisfaction.

For 35mm and coupled with VueScan I've found I can produce scans that are WAY better than with an Epson, either V500 or V700 for a price comparable to the V500, but the film scanner device can't scan medium format film or (of course) prints.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Tracked down my light leak. Loaded the roll, pumped the film a few frames in the dark, then before I took the next (and only) actual photo I took the camera and held it right next to a bright lamp for a minute or so. Took the photo and immediately rewound everything back into the can. This way I had one photo which I could match up with the film gate on my camera, and logically the only place that I should see a light leak on the roll would be exactly where it's coming in.

Developed the sacrifice roll, marked the leak on the film, fed the roll back into my camera and wound it until the only photo on the film matched up with my gate. And BINGO :)

Looks like I'm getting a light seal kit.

All things considered, this is probably the best place to get a light leak. Easy to fix.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

DJExile posted:

Just got this for the trip too :toot:

Nice. I've got one and although my main 35mm gear is Olympus, I use mine primarily with my NEX 5N and it's a fantastic lens. Sharp, fast-focusing (short throw and smooth but quick action) and sturdy. Going to Olympus OM lenses took a bit of getting used to with the aperture dial on the front. You've got to keep checking your aperture to make sure you haven't bumped it to something other than what you want.

I also highly recommend the Olympus 50mm f/1.8 as well. Excellent lens.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Anti-Derivative posted:

2. Ah, that makes sense.

If you shoot film, get a scanner. Develop + Print or Develop + Scan (and get a CD) costs more than twice as much as Develop Only for me ($4 / roll vs. $10). Plus you don't have to find space to store all those prints or photoCDs you'll never show anybody. Negatives are nice and flat, and can be cut to chunks of 4 or 5 frames and fit into a binder.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Martytoof posted:

Tracked down my light leak. Loaded the roll, pumped the film a few frames in the dark, then before I took the next (and only) actual photo I took the camera and held it right next to a bright lamp for a minute or so. Took the photo and immediately rewound everything back into the can. This way I had one photo which I could match up with the film gate on my camera, and logically the only place that I should see a light leak on the roll would be exactly where it's coming in.

Developed the sacrifice roll, marked the leak on the film, fed the roll back into my camera and wound it until the only photo on the film matched up with my gate. And BINGO :)

Looks like I'm getting a light seal kit.

All things considered, this is probably the best place to get a light leak. Easy to fix.

To be honest I did not understand exactly where the leak is.. The circle points to an internal mechanism? Pardon my stubborness.

Also, do you have a link for the generic seal kits? If I can avoid cutting the material myself, I'd be happier. Thanks!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

My Ilford SFX 200 arrived today :woop:

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Martytoof posted:

Just think- the money spent on that sacrifice roll and chemicals could have gone towards a G1! :v:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

maxmars posted:

To be honest I did not understand exactly where the leak is.. The circle points to an internal mechanism? Pardon my stubborness.

Also, do you have a link for the generic seal kits? If I can avoid cutting the material myself, I'd be happier. Thanks!

The circle just points to the arrow I drew onto the film. I developed the film and drew the arrow where I saw the light leak so I could more easily spot exactly where it was when I wound it onto the black takeup reel.

Since the back is solid, logically the only thing that could be leaking at that point is the seal between the body and back right where the arrow is. I suppose you could also have a light leak from inside the top shell (where the wind knob, etc, are) but that is far less likely.

As far as places for generic kits, I'm planning to order the $12 "bulk kit" one from here:

http://camerasealkit.com

I haven't heard anything bad about them, and honestly it's pretty hard to gently caress up a piece of foam and some felt. As long as it's 2mm and has a self adhesive back, I'm pretty happy.

McMadCow posted:

Just think- the money spent on that sacrifice roll and chemicals could have gone towards a G1! :v:

That's still the dream :haw:

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Martytoof posted:

Since the back is solid, logically the only thing that could be leaking at that point is the seal between the body and back right where the arrow is. I suppose you could also have a light leak from inside the top shell (where the wind knob, etc, are) but that is far less likely.

You know what's funny? Even though your camera doesn't have a counter reset mechanism, that's exactly where my FEDs have leaks.

Thanks for the link by the way.. I'm eager to see some pics from you Zorki without leaks. :)

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.

maxmars posted:

I use the PlusTek OpticFilm 8100 with great satisfaction.

Sup plustek buddy. It's like one of those novelty film scanners, except good! I get really good results with vuescan as well, I still hate scanning though.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Laser Cow posted:

Sup plustek buddy. It's like one of those novelty film scanners, except good! I get really good results with vuescan as well, I still hate scanning though.

Yeah me too, but when I get home with some negatives, feels like Christmas. :D

Deputy Dangerous
Mar 20, 2011

90% gravity
A few months back I asked about my Vivitar PN2011 (f/8, 1/125 speed) being overexposed with 200 film (on the right) but fine with 400 film (on the left).

The 200 film looks pretty blurry, too. Could this be a scan issue, or could it be because I messed with the lens when I modified the camera for multiple exposures? I'm using 400 exclusively to be safe, but it is pretty expensive.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe
I've fired two rolls Kodak Ultramax 400 of film through my PEN-EES, should I take it to my local Walgreens or do you guys have a preferred lab that you prefer for developing C41?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Miso Beno posted:

I've fired two rolls Kodak Ultramax 400 of film through my PEN-EES, should I take it to my local Walgreens or do you guys have a preferred lab that you prefer for developing C41?

Walgreens will probably be fine, unless they have a dirty machine or something. However, I did a little poking around and found a local lab that I like far better. For one, if you ask, they'll just develop and scan, if you don't want any prints. They also do B/W, so that's neat. And they'll scan all the rolls onto a single CD, rather than Walgreens' 1 roll, 1 CD method. Also, they're a bit cheaper (probably because of the lack of prints, save for the contact sheets they gave me).

So maybe look around and see if you have a neat local lab?

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Zenostein posted:

Walgreens will probably be fine, unless they have a dirty machine or something. However, I did a little poking around and found a local lab that I like far better. For one, if you ask, they'll just develop and scan, if you don't want any prints. They also do B/W, so that's neat. And they'll scan all the rolls onto a single CD, rather than Walgreens' 1 roll, 1 CD method. Also, they're a bit cheaper (probably because of the lack of prints, save for the contact sheets they gave me).

There is a little lab nearby but they've been horribly unreliable with my digital prints, so I don't think I can really trust them with my film files.

How's Costco for 35mm development?

wheres my beer fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 13, 2012

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
For the most part, all 1hr/microlab development is going to be the same. C-41 processing is nowhere near as intricate as black and white processing can be, so it's, well, harder to screw up. That isn't to say that Joe Minimumwage isn't going to royally mess up your negatives, but I've seen great results from my local CVS, and I've seen terrible results from a reputable "professional" lab.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Walgreens

Zenostein posted:

Walgreens will just develop and scan with no prints or cd (at least my local one does), it was ~$5 a roll this way last time I did it.

Miso Beno posted:

There is a little lab nearby but they've been horribly unreliable with my digital prints, so I don't think I can really trust them with my film files.

How's Costco for 35mm development?

I've heard good things about costco, price wise.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mr. Despair posted:

Walgreens

Walgreens will just develop and scan with no prints or cd (at least my local one does), it was ~$5 a roll this way last time I did it.

I've heard good things about costco, price wise.

I currently lack a scanner so I think I'll pay for the CD for now.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lens by ebay

Body by Jake Mr. Despair

:toot:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Miso Beno posted:

How often do you make it up to Seattle? Capital Hill 60 minute http://www.capitolhillphotoseattle.com/ is the place I use. It sucks very much that they are not open on weekends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widunder
May 2, 2002
Here's two dumb newbie questions:

Yesterday, I picked up a minty Olympus 35RC for no money at all which I love. How exactly do I use the meter on this thing? I have access to 1,5v batteries as well as those expensive replacement 1,35v ones.

E: I use regular 1,5v batteries in my Canon EF which I suspect would set off the meter a bit too much (I believe it was made for those old mercury batteries). Should I compensate by choosing a longer or shorter shutter time?

I also found a Sekonic Deluxe Leader-2. As I've never used an old light meter before, how do I get a reading after having set the ASA and flipped the small cap open?

widunder fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Aug 14, 2012