Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Shalinor posted:

I'm sitting, staring at my tea, wondering "... ok, it's not coffee, but... I mean it's dark, has milk... maybe it could still stand some scotch."

English game devs, I know you know the answer to this question.

I suspect you are more English than I am then given I would pour the tea away and just down the scotch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
I love this thread.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Shalinor posted:

I'm sitting, staring at my tea, wondering "... ok, it's not coffee, but... I mean it's dark, has milk... maybe it could still stand some scotch."

Do not mix tea with hard liquor. Experiences may vary, but... in mine, just don't.

e: On an unrelated note, do not sip hard liquor through these: http://www.magicstraws.com/ -- no matter what your peers say.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 9, 2012

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

octoroon posted:

Do not mix tea with hard liquor. Experiences may vary, but... in mine, just don't.

Maybe it's the caffeine/alcohol thing? Caffeine already doesn't sit well with me by itself so...

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Shalinor posted:

The only acceptable thing to mix Scotch in is club soda. Anything else is heresy.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

At my workplace we have a fridge fully stocked with beer.

At my previous job though, we could barely convince the ceo to let us have one beer on St. Patrick's day.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

z

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jan 16, 2017

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Revitalized posted:

Now I'm imagining some chart labeled "alcohol consumption levels by position in the game industry" and some correlation to be drawn.

Are you imagining a bar chart? Cause I'm just imagining the word "Yes".

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

The #1 rule of game development: If you're at work, after midnight, drink as much as you want.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Chainclaw posted:

The #1 rule of game development: If you're at work, after midnight, drink as much as you want.
9am is after midnight, right?

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Shalinor posted:

Somewhere around the world it is! :)

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

Shalinor posted:

The rule is you have to wait for double digits in the AM. Anytime in the PM is fine.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Shalinor posted:

I'm torn between snagging Darksiders II or Sleeping Dogs this month. Glad to hear that Darksiders II seems to have come out pretty well... the first had cool elements, but never really crystalized into its own thing.

What work did you do on it?

I was brought on as temp-to-hire Animator, and because of THQ issues the "to-hire" portion never resolved itself. Personally I did a ton of the environment animations as well as some character animation. (it was my first gig :3:) So if you see any kind of animation involving puzzles/bridges/doors or simply background environment flavor there's a good chance I had a hand in it (there are two or three especially cool ambient background moments in the first world at the beginning that I did personally that are really awesome imho)

If you enjoyed the first the second is much more fully realized in my opinion and solidifies nicely. On top of that there's a ton more story and background than the first so it's flat out more interesting. To draw an analogy, i'd say Ds2 is to Action-Adventure-RPG's what Borderlands was to FPS's. There's progression in a lot of AARPG's, but they're much like the first Darksiders: "Kill poo poo and do more damage than you did before" Now in DS2 there are levels, specialties (talents, whatever you wanna call'em), loot, weapon choices, and some really hard puzzles and combat.

edit: there were a couple later cutscenes i helped clean up and fix after we got them back from outsourcing too...really i was sort of a 'fill in the holes' kinda guy so a lot of my tasks were different from week to week. But generally animation. I also did 90% of the footsteps in the game.

treeboy fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Aug 9, 2012

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004
I'm thinking about blogging and so far the topic that my friends seem to gravitate most to is "Being a Father of 5 in the Game Industry". I don't want to blog for money, just to fill a need I have to want to write and share things. Given the amount of times it comes up at work and with other people in the Industry, I figured I'm a bit of anomaly and might have something to say about work / family life balance that would interest someone. I'd love any input someone might give.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
We get beer every Friday but the character/concept team is so busy and small that I feel guilty if I drink because my work pace slows down a little. gently caress.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

mp5 posted:

Ah, me too. It was quite a discussion last night.

In other news, I'm actually pretty excited for Darksiders 2 now that the reviews have started to come in. Pretty much everyone involved needs this game to be good and well-received at this point.

I'm really glad to hear that it's reviewing well, but what it really needs is to SELL well.

Jan posted:

Either way, since then, I keep my emergency Scotch in a flask instead of a bottle in plain view. Meh.

I keep a bottle of scotch prominently placed over my desk.

octoroon posted:

e: On an unrelated note, do not sip hard liquor through these: http://www.magicstraws.com/ -- no matter what your peers say.

I am trying to imagine drinking this drink that my friend told me about the other day through that -- I forget if it's called the Ferrari, or the Lamborghini. But basically it's a shot each of absinthe, kahluha, some sort of south asian liquor that I can't remember, and baileys. You pour the hard liquor in first, then you light it on fire, pour in the baileys/kahluha, and drink it before your straw melts.

Mega Shark posted:

I'm thinking about blogging and so far the topic that my friends seem to gravitate most to is "Being a Father of 5 in the Game Industry". I don't want to blog for money, just to fill a need I have to want to write and share things. Given the amount of times it comes up at work and with other people in the Industry, I figured I'm a bit of anomaly and might have something to say about work / family life balance that would interest someone. I'd love any input someone might give.

I would be very very interested in reading this, moreso than most blog topics I've read in a long time.

AntiPseudonym
Apr 1, 2007
I EAT BABIES

:dukedog:
Hell I feel guilty if I have a glass of wine with lunch these days.

No idea why, though. At once of my previous workplaces the HR women used to ply me with wine if she was bored. Maybe because I was an artist back then, and drunk art > drunk coding.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
I was digging through my old work stuff and came across a Capcom asset disc for their (at the time, newly created) Mobile division. That in itself isn't too special, the fact that the VP gave me the disc and never had me sign an NDA of any sort was.

For a while, Gaming-Age was the only site on the internet that had info on Capcom Mobile. For months after their official announcement (about two months after our news story broke), we still had the #1 result in every search engine.

As a sidenote, one of the VPs confirmed that they were localizing Phoenix Wright 2 and 3 at the time and that they were going forward with releases on both mobile and DS platforms. I guess as I was the only one who looked at the mobile games at that junket, which focused mainly on the reveals of Dead Rising and Lost Planet, I got a lot of exclusives.

Again, our news story predated every other outlet by months. Justin from GameDaily took umbrage at our reveal that PW was going forward and decided to make up an interview with the same VP we got our info from to discredit us.

Fun times. About the only thing I never posted early that I didn't sign an NDA for was the first-ever leaked video of the Wii devkit in action. Got it straight from a contact at Activision, and decided not to post it lest they'd probably have gotten fired*.

*They work for Microsoft now.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Man, I'm pretty sure I would get in a lot of poo poo if I was drinking at work. Only time we drink here is when we have a party and there's champagne and stuff. When Runescape hit 200 million accounts(yay I guess! No mention of how many are bots and goldsellers) the entire company piled into the atrium in the centre of the building, there was beer and champagne and party poppers. There was another similar party a month or two ago(better drinks though) which I can't recall the reasoning behind, and just the other week we rented out a field with some fairground rides and enough booze to drown most of Cambridgeshire.

So I guess maybe we have enough parties to make up for the no-drinking-at-work rule.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Oh dear, just heard some really lovely news about another studio. It'll probably break later today and it might just cause some waves...

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Dude, if it's going to break today anyway then just spill; you got me curious now.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Oh dear, just heard some really lovely news about another studio. It'll probably break later today and it might just cause some waves...

floofyscorp posted:

no-drinking-at-work rule.

Given the former, I may well break the latter at some point. :I

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

edit: nevermind

mp5 fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Aug 9, 2012

Smegbot
Jul 13, 2006

Mon the Biffy!
Is it the 4J thing? They've just laid off half their development staff (including me).

It seems some people are somewhat annoyed that the management decided to make staff redundant despite the runaway success of Minecraft 360...

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Monster w21 Faces posted:

So basically you wanted us to know that you know?

There's also that handful of Irrational guys that just left including lead designer on Bioshock Infinite, though that doesn't seem to fit the above description.

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants
Well Thursday is the traditional layoff day.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

Smegbot posted:

Is it the 4J thing? They've just laid off half their development staff (including me).

It seems some people are somewhat annoyed that the management decided to make staff redundant despite the runaway success of Minecraft 360...

Bingo. I had heard that they laid off all your programmers in Dundee.

Seriously, get in touch with us no matter what your position is.

This situation is bullshit.

17000 copies sold a day, sitting at no. 2 on the xbox active players list...

mutata posted:

So basically you wanted us to know that you know?

No, rather that I wanted to express my sorrow for the people this related to in this thread. :I

Monster w21 Faces fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Aug 9, 2012

Smegbot
Jul 13, 2006

Mon the Biffy!
As usual, there's stuff going on behind the scenes which led to the redundancies.

I doubt it'll really cause waves. I think it's shocked some folk given the stability of 4J until now and the success of Minecraft but when it comes down to it it's only 5 people being let go.

On the upside, I don't need to work in that shitehole of an office any more with it's lovely leaking roof and 1980's masonic hall toilets.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

AntiPseudonym posted:

Hell I feel guilty if I have a glass of wine with lunch these days.

No idea why, though. At once of my previous workplaces the HR women used to ply me with wine if she was bored. Maybe because I was an artist back then, and drunk art > drunk coding.
Drunk coding is magical, so long as you can nail the right spot on the Balmer curve. Go too far, though, and... yeah, drunk coding gets bad.

... and canning the studio behind the most successful game on XBLA right now? On come the hell on. Going to guess it's something like "our contract with Mojang of course included no profit sharing or anything else, and we can't find enough work to keep the doors open any longer"? :(

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Aug 9, 2012

Smegbot
Jul 13, 2006

Mon the Biffy!

Shalinor posted:

... and canning the studio behind the most successful game on XBLA right now? On come the hell on. Going to guess it's something like "our contract with Mojang of course included no profit sharing or anything else, and we can't find enough work to keep the doors open any longer"? :(

It's not the entire studio, it's the folk that weren't full time on Minecraft.

I don't really wanna start going into details (not least because the redundancy process is ongoing and I don't wanna rock the boat) but as far as I'm aware 4J has done very, very well out of Minecraft.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Shalinor posted:

Drunk coding is magical, so long as you can nail the right spot on the Balmer curve. Go too far, though, and... yeah, drunk coding gets bad.

I've found that it works best once you've got your design premise well-established in your mind. Even if you're at the sweet spot on the curve, working on a newish project that's still not quite "organized" can lead to bad things.

Zagrod
Jun 26, 2005

fiyah fiyah fiyah
Clapping Larry
Rumors say that the founder People Can Fly, Adrian Chmielarz, along with the rest of the PCF's board, was fired today by Epic

http://gry.gadzetomania.pl/2012/08/09/adrian-chmielarz-zwolniony-z-pcf-plotka [link's in Polish]

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO

http://epicgames.com/community/2012/08/epic-games-announces-impossible-studios/

Epic Games announced "Impossible Studios" today. I love their new logo. This is Epic Baltimore, made up of former Big Huge Games employees after the 38 Studios fallout.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Amazon Game Studios is hiring:

Senior Game Producer – Seattle, WA
SW Development Manager – Seattle, WA
Sr. Community Manager – Seattle, WA
Game UI Artist – Seattle, WA
Software Development Engineer – San Francisco, CA

Amazon Game Studios is developing casual, social, and mobile games.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

That logo is like all the neckbeardo goons just linked arms and sang a song of their people.

It's....beautiful.

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?

Smegbot posted:

That's really lovely, especially with Minecraft

Really enjoyed the Rare ports you guys did (even though I'll never get that last PD achievement), hope everything works out for the staff who got laid off

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

Aliginge posted:

That logo is like all the neckbeardo goons just linked arms and sang a song of their people.

It's....beautiful.

It really is. I am not sure if it's possible to top that.. It's just flawless, really!

On an unrelated note, I interviewed with a studio for a Flash development position. I flubbed things a bit and generally came off as pretty green; understandable since I'm coming from a less technically demanding, far smaller scale position.They liked me enough to bump me over to a Technical Analyst QA-role which sounds fascinating from talking with other employees of theirs and researching equivalent positions.

Problem is I've never explicitly and intentionally written test frameworks or automation tools or anything along those lines. I've a lot of troubleshooting/debugging/pseudo-test development (ad-hoc unit testing on TSW UI code to ferret out some really nasty low level bugs) but that's mostly just instinct, in-the-moment research and a touch of guesswork.

Looking at something like a QA engineering position, can y'all recommend any good resources, books, blogs, video series, whatever? I realise it'll vary from studio to studio but I want to continue consuming and informing myself now, so that I can make a good impression in the next interview (in addition to opening a new career path regardless of the outcome w/ this studio).

I've found a decent amount on Google but I want to get my hands on as much as I can.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Aliginge posted:

It's....beautiful.

The bear is shooting a loving laser beam from its eye. All it's missing is a shark embedded in the word Impossible. I really hope they go MGM style and have it all animated and stuff at the start of their games - airdrop in, fire up the laser, and roar spreading its wings.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

wodin posted:

The bear is shooting a loving laser beam from its eye. All it's missing is a shark embedded in the word Impossible. I really hope they go MGM style and have it all animated and stuff at the start of their games - airdrop in, fire up the laser, and roar spreading its wings.

I think it's a unicorn horn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yes, it's obviously a Pegabearicorn.

Edit: Pegabearicornasus.

mutata fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 9, 2012