Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blambert
Jul 2, 2007
you spin me right round baby right round.
I'd have noped out of this straight away:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=835_1344412426

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Good god. Glad to hear they all made it; the pilot looks like he has a serious head injury.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

blambert posted:

I'd have noped out of this straight away:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=835_1344412426

That's pretty insane; the nerd in me wants to point out the prevalence of rolling shutter effect in that clip though, looks like they're flying into an unending stream of boomerangs.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

movax posted:

That's pretty insane; the nerd in me wants to point out the prevalence of rolling shutter effect in that clip though, looks like they're flying into an unending stream of boomerangs.
It's no wonder they couldn't get altitude and crashed! Everyone knows you can't propel a plane with boomerangs, you throw them up, and they just go right back down into the ground!

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Didn't check the charts and got too far overloaded for the altitude?

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

revmoo posted:

Didn't check the charts and got too far overloaded for the altitude?

That's what it looked like to me. Unable to climb and eventually the ground caught up to what little altitude they had.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
I'm no pilot, but it seems to me that after the 2nd touch-and-go that I'd be able to tell I was going nowhere fast and put it down safely, unpack two dudes, then fly two trips.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Or better yet, wait for evening/the next morning to fly out. Supposedly, the aerodrome elevation there is 6400' ASL, and with the temperature that day, the density altitude would have been between 8500' and 9500'. He'd have been hard-pressed to get out safely by himself, much less with two passengers aboard.

Also, I doubt the explanation of "hitting an air pocket"...forests create areas of sinking air above them, on account of the cooling effect they have.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I sure wish I had that much amazing flat area to do a forced landing in if I bothered to take off overloaded for the conditions. I have a wall of trees though. Lucky idiot.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

MrChips posted:

Or better yet, wait for evening/the next morning to fly out. Supposedly, the aerodrome elevation there is 6400' ASL, and with the temperature that day, the density altitude would have been between 8500' and 9500'. He'd have been hard-pressed to get out safely by himself, much less with two passengers aboard.

Also, I doubt the explanation of "hitting an air pocket"...forests create areas of sinking air above them, on account of the cooling effect they have.

I've never felt that under parachute, and I think that I'd be feeling it long before powered craft...

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MrChips posted:

The "air pocket" was between his ears.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

MrChips posted:

It looked to me like the pilot tried to turn just before the crash. My guess is that he had barely enough lift to stay airborne in straight-and-level flight, but not enough to keep altitude through the turn. The "air pocket" was a BS explanation for the buffeting at the beginning of a stall.

Exothermos
Nov 1, 2011

3 full size dudes (and their gear) is really pushing it for that plane near sea level. On a warm day at that altitude? Asking for it. I see this regularly at our little local airpark in northern California. "It's a 100 degree day, lets all pile into the Piper and head to the coast! OH gently caress!"

What a video though! Pretty amazing how it goes through the trees like a weedwacker, I thought they would be less forgiving. The ground, however...

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Classic hot & high. Their start airport was probably lower in altitude and earlier in the morning. It's a shame to see vintage aircraft destroyed by vintage mistakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZCb6nw_T4U

Glad they all lived and that the pilot will recover.

Also, I thought trees had a heating effect and that gliders etc use wooded areas for thermals. Doesn't matter that much, the mistake is taking off too heavy for the conditions. The local air currents just determines the location of the accident.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Tremblay posted:

I've never felt that under parachute, and I think that I'd be feeling it long before powered craft...
It's simply the reverse of a thermal; fly over buildings and air goes up. Fly over a nearby forest and air goes down. It's most readily apparent when you're flying an R/C airplane, especially gliders or elevator-less 2-channels.

Speaking of which, everyone should have their own R/C airplane now that they're to be had for under $20.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Godholio posted:

I'm trying to remember where I've seen one of those 747s before...either at Ramstein AB in Germany or the airport in Rome, NY that used to be Griffis AFB.

I'm from Rome, NY and also think I may have seen a 747 in that livery at Grifffis sometime. At the repair place maybe?

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

Tekne posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_fmy3xwjbM The LEMV has finally taken flight. I can't believe only one person taped it, so hopefully we'll see more videos pop up over the next couple days.

Air-to-air footage from an amateur UAV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoYrAIesYY8

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

grover posted:

It's simply the reverse of a thermal; fly over buildings and air goes up. Fly over a nearby forest and air goes down. It's most readily apparent when you're flying an R/C airplane, especially gliders or elevator-less 2-channels.

Speaking of which, everyone should have their own R/C airplane now that they're to be had for under $20.

I get the concept but the temperature differential would have to be pretty extreme for that I'd think. Using buildings to climb a skydiving parachute is fun!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

8th-samurai posted:

I'm from Rome, NY and also think I may have seen a 747 in that livery at Grifffis sometime. At the repair place maybe?

When I was there, there was definitely a 747 there (iirc it's a school) and I think it was green/white.

That was the TDY where I left my cell phone in the rental van and was going TDY 2 days later so I had to buy a new one.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

Tremblay posted:

I get the concept but the temperature differential would have to be pretty extreme for that I'd think. Using buildings to climb a skydiving parachute is fun!

The temperature differential is very small actually. Thermal activity occurs when there are unstable conditions in the air. Any tiny disturbance causes a bubble of rising or sinking air.

I wonder of most of that guys facial trauma was caused by the Ipad on his yoke?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

helno posted:

The temperature differential is very small actually. Thermal activity occurs when there are unstable conditions in the air. Any tiny disturbance causes a bubble of rising or sinking air.

I wonder of most of that guys facial trauma was caused by the Ipad on his yoke?

It doesn't take much to get a pretty noticeable circulation over a forest; remember that the trees are constantly transpiring water during the day, cooling the ambient air above them, which in turn sinks (and in a mountain valley, flows downhill to the valley bottom, creating a circular flow).

I don't know whether the pilot's head hit the iPad or the glareshield, but I do know he probably would have escaped most of his injuries if his aircraft was equipped with a shoulder strap.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

I just learned that Endeavour is going to be flying into LAX on one of the days I'll be at Disneyland. What are the odds they'll do a fllyover of Disneyland, or am I going to need to rent a car and get myself to LAX for a side trip?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Probably pretty slim. I'd expect it to pass a few miles to the north, inbound to LAX unless they spend a bunch of time in the pattern. I have no idea what the pattern looks like for LAX, but I doubt it flies that far SE.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
They might make a pass, though. They did a bunch of photo-op flyovers of NYC before they landed Enterprise here.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Tremblay posted:

It's not really directly the temperature/density differential, it's the convection currents that develop because of it. Hot surfaces (or more accurately- "hotter than the surrounding area" surfaces) like parking lots, roofs, rock outcrops, beaches, etc., will cause localized heating of the air near them, creating a low-pressure zone. It's like an uncontained hot air balloon, and creates thermals, which rise up. This, likewise, creates sinks over cooler areas. It's VERY noticeable when flying an RC plane.

Skilled glider pilots can stay aloft damned near indefinitely, solely by soaring through thermals. This plane, unfortunately, hit a sink.

grover fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Aug 10, 2012

Bugsmasher
May 3, 2004

grover posted:

Skilled glider pilots can stay aloft damned near indefinitely, solely by soaring through thermals. This plane, unfortunately, hit a sink.

That may be true, but really all the sink did was cause the crash into the trees a little sooner than planned. That aircraft was not going any higher, barely out of ground effect and arguably on the backside of the power curve just to stay where it was.

At least the pilot didn't try to pull a 180, probably would have resulted in a nice quick stall/spin nose first into the ground.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Bugsmasher posted:

That may be true, but really all the sink did was cause the crash into the trees a little sooner than planned. That aircraft was not going any higher, barely out of ground effect and arguably on the backside of the power curve just to stay where it was.

At least the pilot didn't try to pull a 180, probably would have resulted in a nice quick stall/spin nose first into the ground.

He was almost stalling the wing just before it crossed the first set of trees if you watch the secondary camera, anyway, so yeah, the downdraft just sped up the incident.

Bugsmasher
May 3, 2004

Anyone know if this model of Stinson would have had a stall warning system? Couldn't hear any horn in the video, and like I said he was definitely on the backside of the powercurve, probably right into slow flight range a couple of times before the sink started occurring.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
i'm wondering if keeping hte plane in ground effect longer, letting it get "faster" would have let him get flying versus hanging on the prop like that.

Definitely a behind the power curve thing there. But ... it also could have been a spot where behind the power curve was the only place it would fly.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

The aeroscraft seems to be coming along nicely.

The era of slow flight is almost upon us.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Tekne posted:

The aeroscraft seems to be coming along nicely.

The era of slow flight is almost upon us.

Nice! I'd heard about the plans but didn't know it was actually under construction.

Do you know where the photo was taken?

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Their headquarters is in Montebello, CA, so I'm guessing it's there or at one of the many hangars in the LA area. Looks like we'll be seeing it fly before the end of the year.

Another video of the LEMV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOIEO6h1fy0

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
SPY BLIP!

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/08/army-spy-blimp/

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Came across this picture the other day, forgot to post it:

No, it's not a photoshop, and yes, it is exactly what it looks like. Apparently that was a standard part of the curriculum at the Instructor upgrade course back during the Cold War.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Aug 13, 2012

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
:stare:

:catstare:

That just about beats any Blue Angels performance I've ever seen, goddamn. I guess the engine upgrades for the B-52 were so it had enough power to carry the pilots' massive brass balls.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
another WHIF pic.
http://tinypic.com/ei8k14.jpg

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
The Colonel had this to say about this image:

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Aug 14, 2012

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Nebakenezzer posted:

Nice! I'd heard about the plans but didn't know it was actually under construction.

Do you know where the photo was taken?

Most likely one of the Tustin hangars, I'd think.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

A bunch of random stuff I've been meaning to post:

It looks like we missed out on an atomic powered drone.

http://blogs.ottawacitizen.com/2012/03/25/no-go-on-a-nuclear-powered-unmanned-aerial-vehicle/

Also, remember when that drone was lost in Iran, and we argued about if the GPS had been hacked, and the general consensus was that it was impossible? Welp:

http://rt.com/usa/news/texas-1000-us-government-906/

A new Wave Rider thing is going to be tested:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19257769

Thanks to model nerdatry I came across some interesting stuff about the Hs 129. The giant cannon that we all remember was not the only experimental weapon that the facist gnomes were developing for it. Other attempts include: 210 and 280mm rocket tubes, 70 and 55mm unguided rockets, and the Gero flame thrower. (!) They also tried fitting a downward-firing mortar: 6 downward facing barrels in a rhomboid shape.

Speaking of Nazi science, apparently this odd looking thing was going to shoot down B-29s when they appeared over Germany. It used the wings, tail, and engines of an Me 262, and had an armored fuselage with many cannons sticking out in all directions.

Hawker Sea Fury(?):

Images from Life:

The story behind this picture: a fighter squadron started decorating their helmets, and got the idea to see what a local university art department could do with them.

I totally forget the story behind this.

An-124s: still p. big

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

This thread made me download the demo for MS Flight Simulator.