Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Gutcruncher posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o-YC4hrHZk&t=327s
That exact moment is the greatest moment in any artform. Videogames, music, writing, painting, sculpture, everything. This moment made every other moment in human history obsolete.
My favorite part is at the end when Sayama is like "Why are you two even fighting? it's pointless! What will it accomplish? Are you stupid or something? What is even happening? Tell me!!" and they both look at her with a "shut up woman, you clearly don't understand" look, and commence with the face smashing. That's Yakuza right there.

edit: I'm playing NG+ on Yakuza 4, starting with 300k yen. I can now drop stupid money at hostess clubs, it's an altogether new experience. 30,000 yen bottle of champagne? Sure, why not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Geez all this Yakuza 2 talk has kinda made me want to attempt a 1-4 mega playthrough.
So many fun little mini games, from playing a host in 2 to training up fighters in 4 the amount of extra content these games have are staggering and I've probably missed a lot of them as I don't think I've come close to 100% in any of em. I can't even remember what 1 had.

It's been a long time since I've tried 1 though, and while I didn't mind it at the time, the dub might be a little jarring after getting used to the Japanese VAs.

Edmantium
Jan 15, 2011

I WAS READY TO EMBRACE A MAN
I hope we get the HD release of 1+2. I've wanted the Japanese voice tracks for Yakuza 1 since I first played it. I'll admit I didn't care for the English at first but the ridiculous-ness of it helped draw me in. It just sounds so disconnected.

I loving love Yakuza 2. My favorite of the entire series.

Also, if people are watching those videos (I say this 3-4 years after uploading them) I might want to re-organize them, or rename them, or make it less lovely to navigate.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The official RGG youtube channel put up a bunch of interviews and stuff about 5, but as far as I can tell they're just talking about the characters and voice acting, and not gameplay.

I really want to know if they fixed some specific things, especially about boss fights. Bosses that never hitstun ever, and all of their attacks are unblockable and knock you down with every hit, are not fun.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 19, 2012

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Edmantium posted:

I loving love Yakuza 2. My favorite of the entire series.

Hear hear. 4's pretty badass, sure. But nothing's as badass as Yakuza 2.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Crappy Jack posted:

Hear hear. 4's pretty badass, sure. But nothing's as badass as Yakuza 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El8LasOO-3Q&t=64s

How does it feel to be so wrong? :colbert:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Uhhhh, 2 had Kiryu punching tigers, and Majima beating up pretty much the entire Omi alliance. So, you are the one who is wrong.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

I have no idea, but I'm sure you could tell me. That doesn't look like a castle made out of solid gold that is secretly hidden inside an identical castle and is full of samurai warriors and live tigers, so obviously you posted the wrong video by mistake.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

SpacePig posted:

Uhhhh, 2 had Kiryu punching tigers, and Majima beating up pretty much the entire Omi alliance. So, you are the one who is wrong.

I dunno, this scene from Yakuza 3 is easily as good as punching tigers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6ZznA4g5-U

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

Policenaut posted:

Sega showed off 6 new cast members today.

"Kouichi Takasugi", a loan shark in pursuit of Tatsuo Shinada, the baseball player. Expect Akiyama to show up at some point and kick him in the balls.

"Shigeki Baba", a fellow prisoner who's life is changed when he meets Taiga Saejima. I fully expect him to die at some point so Saejima can have his very own "RIKIYA!!!!!" moment

"Mayumi", a hostess girl who knows Kiryu. She's apparently very important to the plot.

"Daigo Dojima", you should know who this is! According to Famitsu, Daigo is going to be a LOT more important in this game. Good for him, if Daigo can handle the zombie apocalypse then he can certainly handle whatever Nagoshi's cooked up for 5.

"Naoki Katsuya", the head of a talent agency who is connected to the Yakuza. I imagine at some point the game will touch on that real world thing of yakuza and idols.

"Mysterious detective", a man who is chasing all 5 main characters for reasons unknown.

There are many more shown in the revamped official site, under Cast.

Not mentioned:

Under Daigo:
Yuu Morinaga
Masato Aizawa
Goro Majima
Minoru Aoyama

Masaru Watase

Under Mayumi:
Youtarou Nakajima
Tadashi Madarame

Under Baba:
Seiji Kousaka

Mirei Paku
Mai Sanada
Azusa Osawa

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: I'm playing NG+ on Yakuza 4, starting with 300k yen. I can now drop stupid money at hostess clubs, it's an altogether new experience. 30,000 yen bottle of champagne? Sure, why not.

What, you mean you didn't sell all the expensive crafting stuff/cheat at gambling the first time? I always had like 500k yen at all times from mid-Akiyama's story through the rest of the game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I always feel a little bad when I am responding to the request for "gorgeous" or "gal" girls while doing the hostess thing, because I am deliberately dressing them like a clown and then sending them out to be seen by people. Seriously...

precision posted:

What, you mean you didn't sell all the expensive crafting stuff/cheat at gambling the first time? I always had like 500k yen at all times from mid-Akiyama's story through the rest of the game.
No, I don't find gambling in the game very fun, and I keep hoarding crafting items because I keep thinking something awesome is going to show up on the craftable list, but it never does. Other than making a golden gun or a bottomless modified lighter, what is worth it?

edit: I'm entering Saejima's chapter now, but knowing what I now know changes everything...or makes it make no loving sense when it made perfect sense at the time. Seriously you guys, of all the stupid last-minute hack-jobs to do on the story. I hope there's nothing like that in 5.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 21, 2012

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Samurai Sanders posted:

I keep hoarding crafting items because I keep thinking something awesome is going to show up on the craftable list, but it never does. Other than making a golden gun or a bottomless modified lighter, what is worth it?

I actually didn't do any crafting at all my first time through (because REAL MEN don't use weapons!) but I'm doing a bit this time and all I have to say is: Electrified loving Nunchucks.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh yeah, I meant to ask before, are the people with strong central-western accents in the series (Majima, Sayama, etc) translated differently in the English version?

edit:

precision posted:

I actually didn't do any crafting at all my first time through (because REAL MEN don't use weapons!) but I'm doing a bit this time and all I have to say is: Electrified loving Nunchucks.
There's one acceptable, manly way to use weapons, and that's to use the weapons of your defeated enemies against other enemies. "Oh, your friend brought a bat! Rest assured that that very bat will be hitting your skull very soon."

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 22, 2012

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh yeah, I meant to ask before, are the people with strong central-western accents in the series (Majima, Sayama, etc) translated differently in the English version?

edit:
There's one acceptable, manly way to use weapons, and that's to use the weapons of your defeated enemies against other enemies. "Oh, your friend brought a bat! Rest assured that that very bat will be hitting your skull very soon."

I can't remember about Sayama, but Majima is most definitely more casual in his manner of speaking, tending to say stuff like "ya" instead of "you" and things like that. Same with Saejima, for example.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Jesus! I can't believe how much replay value is in Yakuza 4. I still have a bunch of substories left on Saejima and Kiryu until I face Amon. I think once I finish Amon that's gonna be enough Yakuza for a while. Can't wait until 5

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

So these are the major characters for the Fukuoka and Hokkaido portions of Yakuza 5

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Kiryu better not be cheating on Sayama. :argh:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bocc Kob posted:

Kiryu better not be cheating on Sayama. :argh:
What do you call it every single time he goes into a hostess bar in Yakuza 2, 3 and 4?

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Relieving tension. :colbert:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Samurai Sanders posted:

What do you call it every single time he goes into a hostess bar in Yakuza 2, 3 and 4?

Hey, hey, whoah, hold on there, are you saying people go to hostess clubs for anything more than some pleasant conversation?

It was really jarring with Akiyama, just chilling out, you know, big pimpin', making hostess girls literally fall in love with him, while allegedly carrying a torch the size of Mt. Everest for his ex.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bocc Kob posted:

Relieving tension. :colbert:
Or gets a massage with a happy ending. Or does...like, anything that a person goes into Kamuro to do.

edit: seriously though, like I said before, they had to remove Sayama from the story because she was dangerously close to becoming a love interest and there's no way Kiryu could go on womanizing in that case. I assume the same thing will happen to this new character by the end of 5, if not before.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Aug 3, 2012

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Someone has to help keep the struggling local economy afloat during this time of recession. Kiryu is simply doing his part as a loyal citizen of Japan. It is patriotic and beautiful. :japan:

This is some woman in Kiryu's apartment helping him get dressed in the morning. He is flouting society's conventions. Flouting.

Bocc Kob fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 3, 2012

Guydoingthis
May 24, 2010

that article posted:

He believes in resolving things not through fighting but through dialogue.
I bet you resolve his problems by beating the poo poo out of him.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

quote:

He met a drunk and aimlessly wandering Kiryu about half a year back and was so impressed by his manly spirit that he hired him.

Yakuza is truly the best series of games ever produced by Glorious Nippon.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yakuza 5 will feature playable Taiko Drum Master, making the franchise's debut on PS3.

And because I missed it, here are the important folks in the Osaka chapter. I still have absolutely no idea why Akiyama is even in this game.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Probably to beat up that probably-yakuza idol guy while Haruka busts out some sweet dance moves.

e: Also, gently caress yes taiko.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

After the :tviv: first 3 hours in Yakuza 2 the game has ground to a screeching halt as I need to scrounge up 300k in cash and the mahjong parlor is a brick wall compared to the one in 4 :suicide:

Is there a good get rich quick scheme? I already bumped into the guy who gives you 100k if you claim broken arm.

edit: 'average' skill level my rear end why are you getting riichi so loving fast :suicide:

edit2: I get to beat them all up so hard they have tile imprints on their heads? I love you again, Yakuza 2.

Tonfa fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Aug 8, 2012

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Policenaut posted:

I still have absolutely no idea why Akiyama is even in this game.

Someone needed to take Haruka's place during the street segments since they decided she wouldn't be fighting in her part and Akiyama was by far the most popular of the new characters introduced in 4. It's really not that confusing why he's back. :confused:

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Akiyama is my favorite character from Yakuza 4. I'm glad he is back. The ending scared the crap out of me when he got shot.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Hortism posted:

Geez all this Yakuza 2 talk has kinda made me want to attempt a 1-4 mega playthrough.
So many fun little mini games, from playing a host in 2 to training up fighters in 4 the amount of extra content these games have are staggering and I've probably missed a lot of them as I don't think I've come close to 100% in any of em. I can't even remember what 1 had.

It's been a long time since I've tried 1 though, and while I didn't mind it at the time, the dub might be a little jarring after getting used to the Japanese VAs.

I did this a few months back. I highly recommend it, although 1 is at times no fun at all. If there's an awesome LP out there or you can brace yourself for some pretty crappy gameplay at times, go for it.

I have a pretty low opinion of 1's English dub though. It seems to be pretty badly written in comparison to the later games, and the acting at times is pretty loving awful. Many takes seem to be cut together, like they didn't have a decent full take and had to cut 2 of them together. Plus half the actors sound like they're about to fall asleep at the mic. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a dub replacement out there.

I'm not one of those Japanese lovin' anime purists or whatever, I don't care about English vs Japanese dubs and will often prefer the English dub. But, Yakuza 1's dub just loving sucks.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Tonfa posted:

After the :tviv: first 3 hours in Yakuza 2 the game has ground to a screeching halt as I need to scrounge up 300k in cash and the mahjong parlor is a brick wall compared to the one in 4 :suicide:

Is there a good get rich quick scheme? I already bumped into the guy who gives you 100k if you claim broken arm.

edit: 'average' skill level my rear end why are you getting riichi so loving fast :suicide:

edit2: I get to beat them all up so hard they have tile imprints on their heads? I love you again, Yakuza 2.
If you talked to the informant guy you met earlier he starts a sub quest to get the information for free.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Xoidanor posted:

Someone needed to take Haruka's place during the street segments since they decided she wouldn't be fighting in her part and Akiyama was by far the most popular of the new characters introduced in 4. It's really not that confusing why he's back. :confused:

It's confusing because, as far as I know, Sega hasn't explained what the hell he's actually doing here. Sega and Famitsu have explained everyone except him and 4Gamer did big previews last month for the entire cast except Akiyama. He's connected to Haruka and that's about all I know. Like do you know exactly what he's doing in Yakuza 5? I'd like to know.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

cat doter posted:

I did this a few months back. I highly recommend it, although 1 is at times no fun at all. If there's an awesome LP out there or you can brace yourself for some pretty crappy gameplay at times, go for it.

I have a pretty low opinion of 1's English dub though. It seems to be pretty badly written in comparison to the later games, and the acting at times is pretty loving awful. Many takes seem to be cut together, like they didn't have a decent full take and had to cut 2 of them together. Plus half the actors sound like they're about to fall asleep at the mic. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a dub replacement out there.

I'm not one of those Japanese lovin' anime purists or whatever, I don't care about English vs Japanese dubs and will often prefer the English dub. But, Yakuza 1's dub just loving sucks.

Yeah, I don't mind dubs in general, but I'm pretty sure Kazuma comes across as a slightly different dude than the rest of the series. At least from memory.

Didn't mind Yakuza's dub though. It actually took me awhile to get use to the Japanese dub in 2 after it. But then again I didn't mind Shenmue's dub either, so maybe I just have low standards.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Policenaut posted:

It's confusing because, as far as I know, Sega hasn't explained what the hell he's actually doing here. Sega and Famitsu have explained everyone except him and 4Gamer did big previews last month for the entire cast except Akiyama. He's connected to Haruka and that's about all I know. Like do you know exactly what he's doing in Yakuza 5? I'd like to know.

Maybe they're uh, dating. :gonk:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bocc Kob posted:

Maybe they're uh, dating. :gonk:
Kiryu would just stretch his arm all the way from Fukuoka and punch him.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Policenaut posted:

"Akiyama, I need you to watch over Haruka, make sure no scumbags take advantage of her. Idol management is kinda like hostess club management, right?"
"Uh, I guess..."
"Great. Pack your poo poo and brush up on your Kansai-ben."
"Uh, can't you ask Daigo instead?"
"Are you kidding me? His integrity's crapped out like what, three times now? Guy can't run a Yoshinoya without loving it up."

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

Tupperwarez posted:

"Akiyama, I need you to watch over Haruka, make sure no scumbags take advantage of her. Idol management is kinda like hostess club management, right?"
"Uh, I guess..."
"Great. Pack your poo poo and brush up on your Kansai-ben."
"Uh, can't you ask Daigo instead?"
"Are you kidding me? His integrity's crapped out like what, three times now? Guy can't run a Yoshinoya without loving it up."

I would pay good money for this to be the actual conversation and reason why Akiyama is connected to Haruka.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

So here's what Taiko Drum Master looks like in Yakuza 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Looks like Kiryu's back in his old leisure suit.

Also it looks like exactly the same model as in the last two games.

• Locked thread