Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
Should probably put this here in case any of you are bookmarking

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3498832

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

So, here are how my WISC teams came together.

70m: One franchise, 1961 to present, may not repeat years.

I kind of felt like every viable team here was pretty similar. The things that set Detroit apart were a number of cheap, useable bats (especially Easley) and being able to get 350-some-odd, ace-level innings out of McLain for a very good price. I didn't realize how affordable he was until building for this theme, I see now why Ligapelota uses him all the time. Bonus points here for getting to us 200k superstar Mike "The Hess Man" Hessman.

80m: Basic 80m team, if advancing to round 2, all players must be re-used for another 80m team, only progressing or regressing their season by one year.

One of the teams that may have been harmed by my time crunch this last month. I made an initial build where everything fit together well, only it may have been too well because I had trouble moving away from it. I think I could have done better but I really didn't have the time. Pretty typical cookies here.

90m: Take any single season team in history, you may twist X number of players based on the team's winning percentage.

The '93 Mets were the obvious choice here. There were a number of teams that I think were viable but I didn't get ample time to really vet them. Plus all the pieces for this team come together just too well, you can build it a number of different ways to your liking. I had about three other teams that I thought were close but this, frankly, was just too easy. I expect many people will use them.

100m: Pick any season. You must select five teams from that season whose cumulative records are .500 or less. You must select 5 players from each of those teams, with at least 10m spent on each team and no more than 30m on any team.

This may be the team that suffers the most from my lack of free time to build. I really didn't want to use a modern team here but this theme required more time building teams than I really had time for. I put this together, liked it well enough and just moved on to other themes.

110m: 110m cap, DH is active, you must use 1888 Silver King. No other rules.

My goon league team that won me a ToC was a 110m team with DH so I basically just co-opted that here. Half the lineup and many of the pitchers from Wooten IRL are here. I wanted to get '11 Cobb back on the team but Silver King made that unfeasible. The plan is to have King pitch a complete game every other day with Leonard/Nehf/Steele and the 'pen picking up the slack the other half. 9 innings per game over 81 games comes out to 729 innings which is pretty much perfect for a season's worth for King.

XXXm: You may only use clones. The fewer clones you use, the more cap space you get, with a max of 130m for using just two clones.

Honus and Foxx allowed me the option of using nobody out of position (even though I'll be using one SS-only season of Honus at 2B for the most part). Pedro is Pedro, hopefully his modernness will help with Wagner's fielding. Not much to say here.

AlleyViper fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 1, 2012

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
$70m

I agree with AV that there aren't a lot of particularly better or worse candidates here. The Expos/Nats have a couple favorite cookies like Raines, Carter, Boucher, and Perez, and generally came together better than other teams I tried. I did play around with the Mets too, but the years caused too many problems.

$80m

Focusing obviously on guys that had back to back cookie seasons here. I expected this to be a nightmare but it actually came together easier than most of the other teams. I entered the slightly better team in the first round, which is obviously a bad move if I perform as well in round 1 as the past two years, but you've got to be in the second round to win the whole thing. I expect this team should demolish the first round of this field and would have a decent chance to win a TOC if it gets that far.

$90m

I also expect every other team to be the 1993 Mets. I made some different choices from AV, but same idea; this was the only team I found that could twist out all the weaknesses and have pitching to spare.

$100m

This is the team I have the least amount of confidence in. I went through so many years and so many teams. I ultimately landed here because it had good top level pitching, decent pitching depth, and everything fit with no black hole spots. But I don't see how this is one of the best configurations, either.

$110m

Typical OBP cookie team that I'd use to beat deadballers. I have pretty much the same thoughts on Silver King usage as AV.

Clones

Double X was blindingly obvious and I expect him to be on nearly every team. I added Raines in because, well, he's Tim Raines, the seasons all fit together nicely, and I want speed since I'm guessing there will be a fair amount of people who don't know better playing out of position or terrible catchers. Pedro fit the best out of the "elite starter with enough good years and enough cheap years" consideration set.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

I didn't spend nearly as much time with most of these themes as I wish I could have. I ended up with a generally offense-heavy roster on most. I don't expect to make it to Round 2, mostly because I started going with unconventional builds rather than competitive builds at some point. We'll see though.

$70m

The first of my unconventional choices. On the surface this pitching staff looks woefully mediocre, but according to my models this was the best performing team of any I built, which included at least one team for every franchise. I spent way more time tweaking this theme than the others, as awkward as the end results may appear. Playing in RFK saves the pitching a bit.

$80m

I didn't spend hardly any time at all on this theme. I got a team that worked and stuck with it, focusing on other themes. It seemed to me it would be easier to find a player with one really good season followed by an incredibly cheap season, that way I could mix and match them. It ended up working pretty well, but might take some extreme micromanaging.

$90m

Another unusual team. I intentionally stayed away from the '93 Mets here for some reason. The team I ended up with isn't half as good but should be fun to watch all season. That offense in a +2B park? Yes please! Olerud at 3B and Molitor at SS? We'll see!

100m

All offense, mediocre pitching, as has been my theme for all teams here. That offense is really good so we'll see if it overcomes the pitching. Being a team from the 50's in this team may be unique (and a poor decision).

110m

Cookies. I'll go with King-King-Joss as my rotation. I'm not sure how well that will work but the innings are there. Thrice daily micromanaging to make that work though.

120m

Foxx was a given. HoJo was picked as much for his cookie season as for his abundance of affordable back end seasons. Walsh fit in perfectly around them. I'd have preferred a modern pitcher to help the defense, but you can't argue with Walsh.

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
I ended up with generally pitching-heavy teams. I think things will go ok, but really overall I have no idea.

$70m

I went with the As because the stadium does kinda what I want and they have a collection of nice starters in the price range I was after. Really I think this is my worst team, I'm not that comfortable at 70m.

$80m

This is very generic, as I imagine every 80m team will be.

$90m

I went with the '64 Dodgers (8 twists as they went 80-82) and I think it works pretty well. A nice stadium, 2 stud pitchers, the hitters suit the stadium quite well, etc..

$100m

I ended up going through players I felt were worth building a team around looking for a usable year, and ended up with 1908 Joss. The real winner here is the Red Sox who somehow went .487 despite Cy Young and Elmer Steele. The ballpark isn't as -HR'ish as I would have liked.

$110m

I was initially building a standard team of cookies, but decided to go all-in on doubles. It'll probably be close with pitching, but I'm confident it'll work with enough micromanagement.

$125m

I have no catcher and thus will end up with passed balls out the wazoo, but Speaker+Hornsby uses the budget quite efficiently, Speaker is Left Handed which seems like it'd be useful against the plethora of Right Handed pitchers that are going to be around, and the combination of them will hit a lot of doubles in an appropriate park. Should be ok.

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010

Ivan Drago posted:

I'll go with King-King-Joss as my rotation. I'm not sure how well that will work but the innings are there. Thrice daily micromanaging to make that work though.
You only need 2 swaps to make it work (well, once it is going). Say you want King pitching am and pm1, Joss pitching pm2. Before the am game you swap Joss from starter 2 to rest, after the am game you swap him back to starter 2 (leaving King at starter 1 the whole time). It is pretty managable if you have access to one game easily each day - the am games occurrs at 3.30pm for me, so it is prettymuch perfect to swap out sometime in the morning, swap back sometime in the late afternoon. Your King will end up fatigued but not terribly so.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Ivan Drago posted:

Olerud at 3B? We'll see!

This could be a disaster considering Olerud throws lefthanded

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

AlleyViper posted:

This could be a disaster considering Olerud throws lefthanded
Yeah, this was clearly the team that I ran out of time and decided to make it fun. There was a reason I put him at 3B though, so it wasn't entirely random. I anticipate he'll be bad, but on the other hand, doubles.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

So are each of your teams competing separately and able to advance independently? Or is there cumulative scoring?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Capt Murphy posted:

So are each of your teams competing separately and able to advance independently? Or is there cumulative scoring?

Cumulative scoring. The final round is a mostly new set of themes.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
General HBD question: If I have a player that gets an injury snapshot do I need to put him on the DL to get a recovery snapshot? I have a catcher down ten days and my AAA options are piss. I can always sign someone I guess but honestly I'll be fine with a short bench for ten days.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

My walks+ open league team just picked up a cool 72 BBs in their most recent three game series. Seventy-two!

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.
I think this is my first player with more walks than hits: http://whatifsports.com/mlb-l/playerprofile.asp?ID=34505585&pl=False&type=2 my '06 Bobby Abreu also has 50 walks. No one else in the league even has 40. Walks are cool.

e: to contrast, my entire pitching staff has walked 65 batters. Babe Adams has pitched 108.7 innings and walked 8.

Bob Shabazz fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Aug 5, 2012

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.
Is anyone considering an OL soon because I have a polar opposite of my current team ready to go

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say
if i can think of a gimmick i might throw something together this weekend

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

I've never seen a score this bad in a game featuring non-fatigued players before, much less in the WiSC of all places: http://whatifsports.com/slb/Boxscore.aspx?gid=18125973&pid=1&pbp=0&tf=10

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

TBF, '09 Smoltz was fatigued by the time the end of the game came around. '97 Smoltz has no business doing anything but long/mopup work at that cap, though, so it's not that surprising.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

So the idea of running another prog league came up in IRC. 16 teams with East/West divisions starting in 1946. It's something I've never done and am interested in, but I know the last one ended somewhat poorly. If there's enough interest I'll make a thread with rules and all that jazz so we're not clogging up this one.

If there's no interest I'll go browse the WiS prog league forum for a little while longer :smithicide:

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

I was part of this discussion and am therefore down.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

i was and am also

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

I will glady take part!

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I'll definitely take part

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
yeah, sure. Just point me in the direction, devo.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

I'll play, but here's a tip from the last one: you either need to have less prog teams than there were real years, run a double year prog, or use AAA.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

I can never resist a new league. I'd join.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

jeffersonlives posted:

I'll play, but here's a tip from the last one: you either need to have less prog teams than there were real years, run a double year prog, or use AAA.

I was considering AAA but undecided. Since you've got more experience than me at this I'll lean that way. 6/2 average choose your own AAA?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Devo posted:

I was considering AAA but undecided. Since you've got more experience than me at this I'll lean that way. 6/2 average choose your own AAA?

Sure, that sounds about right.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Oh fine

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
devo, where do I find this prog league?

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say
i'll play if nasboat does :v:

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

The broken bones posted:

devo, where do I find this prog league?

If I get 10-12 interested I'll make a thread here in TAQ to get up to 16. Then if we get 16 solid entries we can start drafting!

But yeah I'm working on an OP this morning. I'll link it in the thread when it's done.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3501480

There's the new thread! We can leave this one alone now with our silly prog talk

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

For those of you that signed up for the prog league but haven't poked into the new thread yet, read this and make your opinion heard before we start Doing Things for RealTM

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I'm not sure what's crazier to me, this guy's repertoire or the fact that he was FIFTH round pick.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

That has to be a DITR. There's no way 32 owners all draft that badly.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

That would pretty much be the greatest DITR of all-time, now and forever.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I'm mainly looking at his control going from 49 to 82, and it would have been lower than 49 when he was drafted. And of course that pitch repertoire is just unheard of. Either he was a rookie league DITR or your league sucks at drafting.

e: also noticed he was a college senior. Seniors don't develop that well normally

Devo fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 19, 2012

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:
There is also the chance he DITRed two or three times. I have seen it happen very rarely.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
So I found a league to try this thing out while I wait and see if a SA run league has an opening. Seems to be a real lottery with worlds filling - not particularly well run (some places have been waiting to fill since mid July and earlier). Someone join Schmidt and let the season start!

Any major tips for a beginner to baseball and WIS itself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

nasboat and I both played in Schmidt and didn't really enjoy it. But YMMV.

As to tips for a total beginner: Whew! You're getting into a lot. Make sure you have time to check your team a few times a day during winter meetings. That's when most of the action happens. Budgeting is important; get your training and medical budgets up as high as they go. Feel free to run any trade offers by us while you're still getting a feel for talent evaluation. Experienced owners can and often will rip off newbies with what looks like a good trade on your end. Make a plan and stick to it! If you want to tank, tank. If you want to compete, compete. Doing either half-assed will just give you a half-rear end team.

e: I'll also say this. There is talk that HBD is dying and worlds aren't filling and WiS needs to do something about it. While I agree that the pricing structure for HBD isn't very good I disagree that worlds aren't filling. Certain worlds aren't filling. Schmidt is one of those.

I took over nasboat's team in season 12 because I wanted to pick up a second franchise to go along with Dimaggio. Dimaggio was in season 17 at the time, and that season finished about a month after Schmidt season 12. We are about to start spring training for season 21. I took a franchise in Hometown directly after I left Schmidt. That was at the start of season 17 and we're now halfway through season 20. Schmidt is recruiting for season 15. So roughly three and a half seasons played out in both Dimaggio and Hometown while Schmidt played two.

Devo fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 22, 2012

• Locked thread