Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

After a long ride at higher speed yesterday, I've decided I hate all my gear.

My gear:
- Tourmaster Flex 3 Jacket
- Tourmaster venture air pants
- Alpinestars smx5 boots
- Texport full gauntlets
- Scorpion exo 700 helmet

My biggest beef is with my jacket. I live in Houston and needed a jacket that will handle 3 seasons, as my moto is basically my sole means of transport. Welp, I got the flex because it is a mesh jacket base with a waterproof/windproof over jacket and also has a nice quilted liner. The problem is that I'm not barrel shaped, so the jacket is incredibly loose in the midsection and I have the sleeves all cinched up to take up some of the excess. Whenever I get over 55mph the jacket starts flapping in the wind so badly I thought my bike had acquired a new vibration.

I'm 6'0" 195 lbs with a 33" waist; and I used to think I was a big guy until I started looking at moto gear. Apparently I'm a more 'euro' shape? I've tried two other jackets, and the only other one that fit properly that I kick myself for selling was my joe rocket phoenix 5. I had an alpinestars stunt leather jacket, but it didn't fit across my chest and rode up when I put my hands on the bars. loving special orders :-(
So, anyone have any recommendations for a jacket that fits like a phoenix for Houston's 2 seasons?

The pants just don't fit well with the boots because the knee armor bites into my kneecaps when I don't tuck them into the boots, or they're just ill-fitting when I do tuck them into my boots.

My gloves are falling apart. I have some a*s gp gloves, but they're too short in the fingers (loving special orders!) and hurt a lot to ride in.

Anything New I get I need to try on, because I've gotten burned too many times ordering poo poo that doesn't fit. Please help! Also, is cycle gear generally a house of lovely gear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

While I honestly don't have much advice on what gear to look for, I just want to say that, as far as I can tell, this happens a lot (including to me). It takes a couple tries and more money than you want to spend to actually find gear that fits you right and isn't complete poo poo.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Picked up a pair of Icon Elsinores with my $220 of Revzilla credit + :10bux: . Realistically I should buy a new helmet (mine hasn't been wrecked or anything, but I could use an upgrade), but that's something I'd rather do at a shop. Not looking forward to paying Japanese retail, but them's the breaks.

Taco Box posted:

The problem is that I'm not barrel shaped, so the jacket is incredibly loose in the midsection and I have the sleeves all cinched up to take up some of the excess.

FWIW I've got an XL Fieldsheer (American brand, surprisingly) leather jacket that fits like a medium in the chest. I was able to snag it secondhand for fifty bones because of the somewhat weird (for America) cut. I'm 6'1" and 175lbs and it fits me perfectly. I don't know if their mesh/textile stuff is similar, but might be worth looking in to.

Hoping that the Rev'It Airwave jacket I ordered isn't *too* American in its cut (they mentioned it was a bit less "European" than previous offerings in the review). Think I should be OK in a large though.

taketheshot
Sep 18, 2002
I guess this is somewhat related to bike gear - I'm looking for a bluetooth system, mainly to listen to music and my GPS while riding. I don't really need any of the features some of the more expensive systems offer like pairing with 8 other riders at the same time and what not. I wear earplugs most of the time while riding, so being able to hear it with plugs on at 70 mph+ would be necessary. The Sena SMH10 and the Scala Rider Q2 Pro are both priced around $160. The Scala seems to offer built in FM radio, other than that they seem similar. Anyone have experience with them or another recommendation?

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
I have the sena smh10, and love it. I've worn it through Texas heat, heavy rain, and low 20 degree weather without any issues. My wife's sena even survived a smack on the pavement when we hit a deer last year (ymmv).

I use helmet speakers with earplugs, audio quality isn't great at high speeds but you could always swap to noise blocking earbuds since they sell a base plate that lets you use your earbuds.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Seconding the Smh10. I don't have a problem with sound quality at highway speeds if I'm wearing good ear plugs. Make sure you update to the latest firmware. They fixed some volume issues in a patch released in June.

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose
Along these lines, has anyone tried out the new Cardo Scala G9? I have the old Q2 and it's been awesome. The only issue is volume. I hate earbuds (they pretty much always hurt my ears) and I always wear foam plugs when I ride, so I am partial to the speakers.

Anyone know if the new ones have much higher volume? Or maybe even a comparison between Sena and the Cardo?

devians
Sep 25, 2007
Atheism is a non-prophet organisation.
I just spent a week in my Arai XD-4 with the SMH-10 and the SR-10, using aiaiai tracks headphones with the other Sena mount.

Apart from minor freakouts resolved by turning them on and off again, the SMH-10 is pretty rock solid. We couldn't figure out any way to improve them. Well, thats a lie. 1: removable battery, 2: open source firmware, 3: bluetooth 4.0. Then they'd be unstoppable.

The SR-10 is less solid. I've been using it with high quality radio's (icom ic-41w), and while the radio's perform amazingly on their own, the SR-10 degrades the audio quality amazingly. As in half the time its unintelligible. Understandably this is worstened by having the radio close to the unit, but even at a distance its pretty bad.

On the bright side, the SR-10 has amazing battery life, 3-4 days and I only recharged it just in case. the SMH-10 is pretty good too, we found 2 days of usage to be typical. They do take ages to recharge though, 3+ hours.

Zazamoot
Apr 2, 2005
Helmet fit questions!

http://motorcycle-vermont.com/front-page-feature/how-to-fit-a-motorcycle-helmet/

quote:

Push on the front of the helmet in the middle of the chin bar. The helmet should not come away from your head in the back and the chin bar should not touch your mouth or nose.

Is this a test a properly fitted helmet should pass? I'm trying an Icon Alliance that seems to fit reasonably well. However, when I push on the chin bar the helmet does shift and slide a bit, so that my chin comes directly into contact with the helmet. The same thing happens if I grab the helmet from behind and try to roll it off, the helmet rolls upward a bit and hits my chin in the front. I can't roll it completely off, though.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Think of it this way, if the helmet moves around on your head and hits your chin when you're playing with it with your bare hands, it can do the same thing if it lands on concrete, only with more force.

If you can, try a size smaller, a brand new helmet shouldn't be squeezing your brains out your nose but it should be snug almost to the point of being uncomfortable, don't worry, it'll break in. Also the Alliance is supposed to be long oval, if your head shape doesn't line up with the helmet shape it'll be tight in spots and loose in others and move around more than you want. The Icon Airframe is supposed to be more of a round oval frame, you can try that if you want to stick Icon, or just try other brands.

Zazamoot
Apr 2, 2005

Snowdens Secret posted:

Think of it this way, if the helmet moves around on your head and hits your chin when you're playing with it with your bare hands, it can do the same thing if it lands on concrete, only with more force.

If you can, try a size smaller, a brand new helmet shouldn't be squeezing your brains out your nose but it should be snug almost to the point of being uncomfortable, don't worry, it'll break in. Also the Alliance is supposed to be long oval, if your head shape doesn't line up with the helmet shape it'll be tight in spots and loose in others and move around more than you want. The Icon Airframe is supposed to be more of a round oval frame, you can try that if you want to stick Icon, or just try other brands.

Thanks, what you've said about the long oval seems consistent with the way it fits my head. I'm pretty confident I have the size right (medium), but the shape probably isn't right--I think I'm more round or short oval. I've been hoping to find a decent high visibility helmet, so I'm going to see if I can try a Scorpion EXO 700 along with as many others as I can get my hands on.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH
Is there a way to know what the hell shape your head is other than trying on a bunch of helmets tons of gross people have already put on their filthy salmonella heads? This is the 21st century: I don't want to have to talk to someone or look at anything but a mirror and my computer to be able to figure this out.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Schlieren posted:

Is there a way to know what the hell shape your head is other than trying on a bunch of helmets tons of gross people have already put on their filthy salmonella heads? This is the 21st century: I don't want to have to talk to someone or look at anything but a mirror and my computer to be able to figure this out.
Nope. The only way to get a proper fit is to physically try helmets on. All the measuring and internet research in the world isn't going to help you, sorry.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Schlieren posted:

Every company categorises headshapes differently and then don't really publicise them.

This is one of the only legitimate reasons motorcycle(gear) review sites are useful.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Schlieren posted:

I don't want to have to talk to someone or look at anything but a mirror and my computer to be able to figure this out.
:goonsay:

If you're mysophobic just wear a thin balaclava when you try helmets on.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

KARMA! posted:

Every company categorises headshapes differently and then don't really publicise them.

This is one of the only legitimate reasons motorcycle(gear) review sites are useful.

Plus the manufacturers can have different head shapes between models or even within revisions of the same model. So even if you have a 'Shoei head' the X-12 apparently fits differently from the RF-1100 and Qwest, an old Bell Star fits totally different from a new Bell Star, etc. Arai is the only brand I know of that at least explicitly delineates what headshape they were going for.

Hell, sometimes the sizing isn't even consistent. It's irritating when a company fiddles with their sizing on stuff like jackets or gloves, but if you blindly order a large thinking that's what you wore 10 years ago and now they fit like an extra large, you could be risking your noggin.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

-Inu- posted:

Nope. The only way to get a proper fit is to physically try helmets on. All the measuring and internet research in the world isn't going to help you, sorry.

Sort of. I've had 4 or 5 helmets now and the best fitting one I own is my Roof. I just measured my head and used the little "findda lid for you!" guide. That son of a bitch fits so good.

Seriously though, I loving love my Roof.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Cross-postin' from the questions thread: Can different brands of bluetooth intercom connect to each other? Or do they need to be the same?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Cross-postin' from the questions thread: Can different brands of bluetooth intercom connect to each other? Or do they need to be the same?

Need to be the same brand. Might even have to be same model within each brand but I can't remember and I'm on my phone.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Anyone know what shape AFX helmets generally are? I bought mine online sight unseen, and it seems to fit ok. It would be nice to know what shape I am for the future though...

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Well I am in a market for a third helmet, instead of a full face helmet I kinda want a retroish 3/4 or 1/2 helmet. The main reasons being so I can have an excuse to be irresponsible, blouse my jeans inside my Icon Elsinore boots, wear stupid goggles and use this stupid thing.

I can't really think of a good reason to have one... Anyway some candidates I have for 3/4: The Bell Custom 500, SparX Pearl and HJC CS-5N. For the halfsies I have: HJC IS-2 Schade and Bell Shorty Rally. With the Bell shorty rally being my top runner due to the fact that it will look boss with my mostly black/white/grey gear/bike. :gay:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
HJC visors fog like a bitch. Not sure how that would affect a 3/4 though. The CS-5N is the only non-hipster helmet, of the 3/4s, you listed, though.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Ghostnuke posted:

Anyone know what shape AFX helmets generally are? I bought mine online sight unseen, and it seems to fit ok. It would be nice to know what shape I am for the future though...

I've found AFX helmets to have a neutral to round shape fairly similar to the classic shoei shape, front to back they're somewhat narrow compared to Arai helmets. This mainly applies to their dual sport and full face helmets. Their offroad helmets have a longer head shape.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

ElMaligno posted:

Well I am in a market for a third helmet, instead of a full face helmet I kinda want a retroish 3/4 or 1/2 helmet. The main reasons being so I can have an excuse to be irresponsible, blouse my jeans inside my Icon Elsinore boots, wear stupid goggles and use this stupid thing.

I can't really think of a good reason to have one... Anyway some candidates I have for 3/4: The Bell Custom 500, SparX Pearl and HJC CS-5N. For the halfsies I have: HJC IS-2 Schade and Bell Shorty Rally. With the Bell shorty rally being my top runner due to the fact that it will look boss with my mostly black/white/grey gear/bike. :gay:

If you're going to go 3/4 you really got to look at MOMO helmets: http://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/en_GB/?ViewObjectID=2693620&Currency=USD more expensive but you can use the face shield and not worry about fogging up your googles.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

ElMaligno posted:

Also consider the Davida Jet line. I have one for riding my BSA and as a back up helmet. Extremely well finished, comfortable and quiet.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Aug 10, 2012

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Sena's will talk to different models of Sena. For example a smh10 will talk to the cheaper smh5.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

ElMaligno posted:

I found wearing those neoprone face masks to be uncomfortable due to the helmet strap bunching up the fabric. It even restricted my head movement which made looking through turns dicey. I had to cut some material away from the top and sides of the mask to make it work. Just something to think about.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Well thanks for the suggestions, but I was thinking more like sub-100 helmet not over 200$. :stare:
I mean they look awesome as gently caress and probably are comfortable, but for a helmet I want to use for short distances its really not worth it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Are there even useful helmets sub 100?

Your head can hit the curb just as hard crashing at 25 mph as it can at 80 mph. Don't skimp on the value of your life.

Corrupt Cypher
Jul 20, 2006

Collateral Damage posted:

Are there even useful helmets sub 100?

Your head can hit the curb just as hard crashing at 25 mph as it can at 80 mph. Don't skimp on the value of your life.

As long as it's ECE/Snell certified who gives a poo poo how much it costs?

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Yeah, HJC sells poo poo helmets for under $100. All the plastic bits will break off in the first week and it'll probably be uncomfortable as hell, but it'll still protect your brain just as well as a Shoei. Of course, if you're not going full-face, you might regret that when you wake up in the ER with a face that looks like chewed steak.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

100, 200 or even 500. 3/4 and 1/2 helmets will never be as good as full faced helmets, I already know that and this graph

Also knows that.

I am just making a clear and rational decision that I just want a basic, spartan and cheap 3/4 helmet, not a good-looking, comfortable and expensive 3/4 helmet.

Moving on, I decided to get HJC CS-5N, these goggles and a rain suit to complement my commuting suit. Will not get them until I get my bike back.

EDIT:

SlightlyMadman posted:

with a face that looks like chewed steak.

This may actually be an improvement for me.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

ElMaligno posted:

This may actually be an improvement for me.

This is the best rationale for wearing a half-helmet I've ever read, and I can't think of any way to counter it. Rock the gently caress out.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Just ordered an airoh J106

We'll see how it fits and looks in a week or two when it gets here.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Corrupt Cypher posted:

As long as it's ECE/Snell certified who gives a poo poo how much it costs?
If it's certified that's fine. I've just never seen any certified helmets that cheap unless they were on sale or similar.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Tenchrono posted:

I'd love to see a review of that. It looks baller as gently caress, but is it modular? That chin bar looks a bit... not sturdy.

Edit: saw info on previous page

Ghostnuke fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 10, 2012

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Ghostnuke posted:

I'd love to see a review of that. It looks baller as gently caress, but is it modular? That chin bar looks a bit... not sturdy.

Edit: saw info on previous page
Seconding this. If you've worn other helmets, compare the fit please!

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Tenchrono posted:

You lucky bastard. I look forward to your review.

mootmoot
Jan 29, 2006

Tenchrono posted:

It's a bit try-hard don't you think?

You are not Maverick. You have not buzzed the tower, you have not slept with the admiral's daughter and are not likely to with this thing either.

The only people I have seen with a helmet like this are scooter riders. Something attempting to be that flashy is seldom worn by cool people.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

mootmoot posted:

It's a bit try-hard don't you think?

You could stand to try a little harder. Mostly at turning, but also at posting.