Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="406366997"]
Mine still has it. Check again? Look under Widgets - Settings.

Sorry, let me rephrase: you used to be able to pull down the notification pane, and there'd be a toggle for Wireless On/Off.

Now, there's a listing of the wireless access point you can connect to (and then click again to manage or turn on off), but there isn't a simple on/off switch from there anymore that I can see how to enable.

There's Mobile Network On/Off, Sprint Hotspot On/Off, 4G (:mad: ) On/Off, Bluetooth On/Off, and Airplane Mode On/Off. There used to be a wireless network On/Off, and now it's gone. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Yeah, you're right. I've been missing that, too. Looked like you were talking about the widget.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="406366997"]Try Netmonitor.
Heyy, this is a cool app. It's finally solved the mystery of why I get such mediocre reception. The closest two towers to me are 5.2mi and 8.5mi away!

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

The Nexus came in today at 3:30 so I just now went ahead and ported my number to Google Voice. About how long does it take for that to go through? I went ahead and did it 2 hours before I got home just to give it time.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Skeezy posted:

The Nexus came in today at 3:30 so I just now went ahead and ported my number to Google Voice. About how long does it take for that to go through? I went ahead and did it 2 hours before I got home just to give it time.

Should go through in 20 minutes usually. Try signing into Google voice on the Nexus.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I connected to GV and it did something I guess. Let me select my old cell number. However it's not connected to sprint or whatever?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Skeezy posted:

I connected to GV and it did something I guess. Let me select my old cell number. However it's not connected to sprint or whatever?

Your number is still showing on the account, are you sure you ported it to Google voice? Or maybe the port didn't go through yet.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Your number is still showing on the account, are you sure you ported it to Google voice? Or maybe the port didn't go through yet.

I did this process at around 5:10 or so, it hasn't changed since.

----

On the GV site it says that it could take 24 hours to actually port. Knowing my luck this is the case right now.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 10, 2012

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
So I have an Airvana, and it doesn't work for a poo poo. I miss more calls and texts with it on than I do with the loving poo poo 0-1 bar service at my apartment. I've called them about this many times and they don't do a drat thing. So yeah, I don't use it. I've had it for years now and today I get my bill and they charge me $140 for a broken Airvana. gently caress you Sprint. Seriously. Your service is bullshit and you charge me for a broken thing that is supposed to help the service but doesn't. Job well done. I'm sure I will get this taken off my bill, but this is a pain in my rear end that just isn't needed. I goddamn hate calling their customer service.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ddogflex posted:

So I have an Airvana, and it doesn't work for a poo poo. I miss more calls and texts with it on than I do with the loving poo poo 0-1 bar service at my apartment. I've called them about this many times and they don't do a drat thing. So yeah, I don't use it. I've had it for years now and today I get my bill and they charge me $140 for a broken Airvana. gently caress you Sprint. Seriously. Your service is bullshit and you charge me for a broken thing that is supposed to help the service but doesn't. Job well done. I'm sure I will get this taken off my bill, but this is a pain in my rear end that just isn't needed. I goddamn hate calling their customer service.

If you are talking to normal care you are talking to the wrong people. Call the Retentions number in the OP.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
To any bother Epic 4g Touch owners: if you have updated to the ICS update, have you noticed really bad battery life when compared to GB? I already reverted back because I had really bad issues with the phone call quality of my phone in ICS, but my Mom also has this phone and while she doesn't have the call quality issues I had, her battery life is shot to hell after updating.

I've tried everything besides installing GB myself, as I don't want to do anything that could invalidate her warranty or cause issues with her if she needed to go to a Sprint store for service. Reading online I see this is a fairly common problem but I was wondering if anybody found a good solution. If not, can Sprint stores revert her phone back to GB?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Stumpalitious posted:

To any bother Epic 4g Touch owners: if you have updated to the ICS update, have you noticed really bad battery life when compared to GB? I already reverted back because I had really bad issues with the phone call quality of my phone in ICS, but my Mom also has this phone and while she doesn't have the call quality issues I had, her battery life is shot to hell after updating.

I've tried everything besides installing GB myself, as I don't want to do anything that could invalidate her warranty or cause issues with her if she needed to go to a Sprint store for service. Reading online I see this is a fairly common problem but I was wondering if anybody found a good solution. If not, can Sprint stores revert her phone back to GB?

Pretty sure Sprint covers rooted phones with custom roms as much as any other phone that's over 2 years old. And I thought that CM was really good for the E4GT.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="406418878"]
Pretty sure Sprint covers rooted phones with custom roms as much as any other phone that's over 2 years old. And I thought that CM was really good for the E4GT.

As much as I love CM9, it still has pretty bad loss of signal issues unless you feel like sifting through tons of nightlies and kernel revisions right now. I used to go four or five hours without receiving phone calls or texts, and had to reboot to get signal properly again.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="406418878"]Pretty sure Sprint covers rooted phones with custom roms as much as any other phone that's over 2 years old. And I thought that CM was really good for the E4GT.
That's the OG Epic. The E4GT is only a year old and twice as buggy.

Stumpalitious posted:

I've tried everything besides installing GB myself, as I don't want to do anything that could invalidate her warranty or cause issues with her if she needed to go to a Sprint store for service.
Did you just revert by installing the original, unrooted EL29 tar? Which, for all I know is probably a dead link.

In any event, you flashing the EL29 image is not really any different than what a Sprint repair center would do. If you really don't want to do it, you could try calling a repair center and explaining you have horrible battery life and want to go back to the old version and see if they'll do it. Of course, if they start mentioning "clear RAM" or "task killers" hang up the phone.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

ExcessBLarg! posted:

That's the OG Epic. The E4GT is only a year old and twice as buggy.

Did you just revert by installing the original, unrooted EL29 tar? Which, for all I know is probably a dead link.

In any event, you flashing the EL29 image is not really any different than what a Sprint repair center would do. If you really don't want to do it, you could try calling a repair center and explaining you have horrible battery life and want to go back to the old version and see if they'll do it. Of course, if they start mentioning "clear RAM" or "task killers" hang up the phone.

Yeah when I reverted I used a rooted EL29 tar through ODIN. Then I put in CWM so I wouldn't get bugged to update my phone. And I know if I put on an unrooted EL29 ROM that would be the same thing the repair center would do, but it's my Mom's phone and she still doesn't trust me to fix her phone. If it was my choice her phone would have been fixed my now.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

ddogflex posted:

Well there are two major versions of the hardware and several software revisions. I have the newest unit and so far it seems to be working great*. Granted, most of my family have iPhones so our IMs go over iMessage but even the texts seem to work fine sending/receiving. They seem to have fixed that with the latest software. I know that the older hardware units seem to be bollocks and the older software has issues so you might ask them to send you a new unit with the latest software.

Of course I also setup a DMZ using one of my spare public IPs. If your network isn't setup quite right it can experience lots of problems. I'm sure that is why they tell everyone to stick the unit in between the cable modem/dsl modem/etc and your router rather than attempt to explain DMZ or port forwards.

* If I receive a call while already on a call then it doesn't always ring and sends them to voicemail. If I am still on the call when that voicemail comes in, I will not get a voicemail notification on my phone. I have to turn on Airplane mode then turn it back off (or leave the house) to get the notification. This does not happen if I reject the call then immediately call out - I will get the voicemail notice while on the phone. Also sometimes visual voicemail on the iPhone won't work - it will just timeout but calling my phone number works fine. I'm willing to live with this to be able to actually make calls in my house, but I am hoping that when NV is fully rolled out the signal improvements will be enough to have decent indoor coverage here.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
What would be my ETF on a 2 yr contract that expires on 1/8/13? I'm pretty done with Sprint and ready to move on once the iPhone 5 (or whatever it'll be called) comes out.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

jerman999 posted:

What would be my ETF on a 2 yr contract that expires on 1/8/13? I'm pretty done with Sprint and ready to move on once the iPhone 5 (or whatever it'll be called) comes out.

http://sprint.com/etf/

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Stumpalitious posted:

but it's my Mom's phone and she still doesn't trust me to fix her phone.
Here's a few other thoughts:

If the battery life is really horrible compared to GB, it's possible there's actually an offending app in there that's responsible for it. You could debug this by following the "battery life" advice that's occasionally posted in the Devices thread, start by checking the Battery Usage screen after the device has been unplugged for a while to see if there's any obvious culprit.

Second, ICS is generally more resource intensive than GB so you can have observably decreased battery life, but it shouldn't be horrible. Generally speaking it would be worth staying with ICS for the software improvements if the battery is the only issue and it can be made tolerable.

One thing to consider is that OTA updates, where user data is preserved, tend to exhibit more bugs than full flashes, due to one or more incompatibility issues with using old/stale application data with updated apps. It's possible this is responsible (or at least related) to the battery woes, so if it's not horribly inconvenient, you can try a "Factory data reset" which would restore the phone to a condition that's the same as if you had done a full flash of ICS. This is something that a Sprint store would suggest trying first. Note that, if you do a factory data reset you should backup all the "internal SD card" content. It shouldn't be wiped as part of the process, but of course, it will if you don't backup. :)

Beyond that, the one year mark (if her phone is that old) is often the point at which a battery has aged enough that there's an observable decrease in battery life anyways. You could consider picking up a new battery to see if it helps, or at least offsets the issue, although I'd probably try to solve them via software first.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Here's a few other thoughts:

If the battery life is really horrible compared to GB, it's possible there's actually an offending app in there that's responsible for it. You could debug this by following the "battery life" advice that's occasionally posted in the Devices thread, start by checking the Battery Usage screen after the device has been unplugged for a while to see if there's any obvious culprit.

Second, ICS is generally more resource intensive than GB so you can have observably decreased battery life, but it shouldn't be horrible. Generally speaking it would be worth staying with ICS for the software improvements if the battery is the only issue and it can be made tolerable.

One thing to consider is that OTA updates, where user data is preserved, tend to exhibit more bugs than full flashes, due to one or more incompatibility issues with using old/stale application data with updated apps. It's possible this is responsible (or at least related) to the battery woes, so if it's not horribly inconvenient, you can try a "Factory data reset" which would restore the phone to a condition that's the same as if you had done a full flash of ICS. This is something that a Sprint store would suggest trying first. Note that, if you do a factory data reset you should backup all the "internal SD card" content. It shouldn't be wiped as part of the process, but of course, it will if you don't backup. :)

Beyond that, the one year mark (if her phone is that old) is often the point at which a battery has aged enough that there's an observable decrease in battery life anyways. You could consider picking up a new battery to see if it helps, or at least offsets the issue, although I'd probably try to solve them via software first.

I have already tried all of those ideas except for doing a factory data reset. I can try that tonight but from reports that I am reading elsewhere, it seems like ICS on this phone just wasn't done right in regards to battery life, among other things.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Stumpalitious posted:

I have already tried all of those ideas except for doing a factory data reset.
So what does her battery usage screen look like? Any culprits?

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

ExcessBLarg! posted:

So what does her battery usage screen look like? Any culprits?

Yeah. It's almost all used by Android OS. I have tried looking at stuff concerning that, and the closest thing I found is that guys over at XDA think that having the notification LED on might be causing the phone to not go into deep sleep.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Stumpalitious posted:

I have tried looking at stuff concerning that, and the closest thing I found is that guys over at XDA think that having the notification LED on might be causing the phone to not go into deep sleep.
Oh boy.

Does the notification LED blink faster in ICS than it does in GB? Like a lot? I never thought to check that.

This was a problem on the OG Epic. There's no hardware timer circuit for the LED, so the device has to wake up out of sleep to blink every time. Given that the device will stay out of sleep for 1-2 seconds (iirc it's even longer on the E4GT due to external SD card settling time), it results in something like the device being awake 1/3rd of the time if blinks once every 15 seconds, and never sleeping at all if it blinks every five seconds or less.

The E4GT hardware is probably the same, seems to be an afterthought on the Exynos line.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Oh boy.

Does the notification LED blink faster in ICS than it does in GB? Like a lot? I never thought to check that.

This was a problem on the OG Epic. There's no hardware timer circuit for the LED, so the device has to wake up out of sleep to blink every time. Given that the device will stay out of sleep for 1-2 seconds (iirc it's even longer on the E4GT due to external SD card settling time), it results in something like the device being awake 1/3rd of the time if blinks once every 15 seconds, and never sleeping at all if it blinks every five seconds or less.

The E4GT hardware is probably the same, seems to be an afterthought on the Exynos line.

Yeah it seems to blink faster. Honestly I think that is the culprit of the really awful battery life. That sucks because my Mom got this phone partially because of the notification light. I'll probably either convince her to let me revert it or take it into a Sprint repair center to get them to revert it back to GB. I really don't think my Mom cares much about ICS vs GB anyway.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
The issues with the LED and ICS on the E4GT was one of the big reasons I was glad to upgrade away from that device. Things should work fine with disabled LED notifications but it's a bummer not to have them.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I've got an EVO 4G with CM7 running on it and I have problems sending and receiving MMS picture messages. When I send them, it just says "sending..." forever and they don't go through. When I receive them, it has a button that says "Download" but it never works.

A Google search shows that this might be a known issue, but I couldn't find a fix. Has anyone experienced this and have a way to fix it? I just recently switched to CM7 and I really don't want to go back to whatever the stock software on this phone is.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
I had the same problem with several android phones. The fix was to do a fresh install but choose to not have Google automatically restore when you first sign in. Unsure if it will work for you.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Stumpalitious posted:

As much as I love CM9, it still has pretty bad loss of signal issues unless you feel like sifting through tons of nightlies and kernel revisions right now. I used to go four or five hours without receiving phone calls or texts, and had to reboot to get signal properly again.
I haven't heard of LOS being an issue on CM9 for a while now. CM10 is having some issues with it right now but CM9 is close to done for the E4GT and the code merge upstream to CM should be starting this month.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

datajosh posted:

I haven't heard of LOS being an issue on CM9 for a while now. CM10 is having some issues with it right now but CM9 is close to done for the E4GT and the code merge upstream to CM should be starting this month.

I had LOS with alpha 5. And alpha 6 had issues with battery life. I know the nightlies fixed a ton but I can wait until they put out a new version on their blogspot page before reflashing.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Behind the scenes at how Sprint develops the phone.

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=10935&p=5166

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Anyone running Mean Rom on the evo 3d? If I reboot my phone, it seems to forget my default keyboard of swiftkey and goes back to the stock. Anyone have any idea how to fix this?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

Behind the scenes at how Sprint develops the phone.
Awesome!

Phone Scoop posted:

Sprint wanted a new, iconic EVO device, but it also wanted HTC's One X. In order to serve its purposes and reap the benefits of its EVO investment, Sprint chose to rebrand the HTC One X as the EVO 4G LTE. It also asked HTC to make design modifications to differentiate it more from the devices offered by its competitors.
When faced with the Samsung Galaxy S III, however, Sprint knew it had to take a different approach. Samsung pushed for the global status of the device and didn't want to differentiate the hardware for individual carriers. Sprint admits that with devices such as the Galaxy S III and iPhone 4/4S, it has to play ball with its hardware partners.
So on first order, this looks like "Samsung > Sprint > HTC" in terms of who has branding power over who.

But digging in a bit, I think the decision to rebrand the One X as the Evo 4G LTE wasn't entirely unreasonable, and keeping the SGS3 branding was absolutely spot on. For one, there's not really a hardware distinction between the Sprint S3 and other units, aside from radio support, whereas the Evo 4G LTE does have user-visible hardware changes (e.g., microSD slot).

But for another, Sprint and Samsung needed to get away from the Epic branding as the term had long ago developed ironic connotations ("Epic fail"). The S3 is really a different device from its Exynos predecessors and getting as far away from them as possible was absolutely right.

Edit: Still kind of waiting for the "Samsung Galaxy S III: Epic 4G LTE Touch and Type". That would be the best model name ever (for a probably most horrid product).

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

TLG James posted:

Anyone running Mean Rom on the evo 3d? If I reboot my phone, it seems to forget my default keyboard of swiftkey and goes back to the stock. Anyone have any idea how to fix this?

I use the stock keyboard so I"m not sure. The first time I tried to use meanrom I had to do a "superwipe" to get it to install correctly.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007

TLG James posted:

This doesn't happen to me, did you do a full wipe before upgrading to 2.6?

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

TLG James posted:

Make sure the keyboard you want to use is installed to the phone and not the SD card. It'll revert to stock if it isn't.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I'm starting to get a little burned out on my Evo 3D (and HTC in general), so I'm debating what I want to do.

I could buy a used Galaxy Nexus for somewhere between $250-300, from what I can tell, or a Nexus S 4G for about half that. While not official, it looks like there are stable Jellybean builds for both. I'm really not very concerned about Wimax vs LTE right now, because it's incredibly rare that I even enable 4G. Just trying to figure out which phone will give me the most bang for buck as far as trying something new goes.

And yes, I'm aware that I can install different ROMs on the Evo 3D, but it doesn't look like any of the AOSP stuff is completely stable, and I do want a fully functional phone.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

bobula posted:

Make sure the keyboard you want to use is installed to the phone and not the SD card. It'll revert to stock if it isn't.

I actually kinda figured this out myself... Makes sense. These 64 gig cards take a bit to load...

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Crosspost from the Android Phone thread...

Where can I find a good deal on an EVO 4G battery, and from a reputable dealer?

Sprint.com has them for $40.

I've found them cheaper on ebay and amazon, but I'm afraid of swindlers on there selling mislabled or fake batteries. Of course they all aren't swindlers, which is why I am asking for positive experiences.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Krime posted:

Crosspost from the Android Phone thread...

Where can I find a good deal on an EVO 4G battery, and from a reputable dealer?

Sprint.com has them for $40.

I've found them cheaper on ebay and amazon, but I'm afraid of swindlers on there selling mislabled or fake batteries. Of course they all aren't swindlers, which is why I am asking for positive experiences.

You're not going to be certain that it's an OEM battery unless you buy straight from Sprint or HTC (if they sell them). I would just look for batteries that have a lot of high ratings on Amazon. Even if they aren't OEM, they'll probably be close to the right capacity. The nice thing about the EVO 4G is that there's no shortage of cheap batteries because it uses the same battery as the Touch Pro2.

edit: and apparently like a dozen other phones

edit2: just buy these

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

You're not going to be certain that it's an OEM battery unless you buy straight from Sprint or HTC (if they sell them). I would just look for batteries that have a lot of high ratings on Amazon. Even if they aren't OEM, they'll probably be close to the right capacity. The nice thing about the EVO 4G is that there's no shortage of cheap batteries because it uses the same battery as the Touch Pro2.

edit: and apparently like a dozen other phones

edit2: just buy these

Ordered. Can't say thanks enough. :):hf::)

I was wanting to punch someone after reading through all of the "You sold me a dead battery" reviews.