Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Doesn't it come with the MGSO? The files for TR weren't enabled in the Morrowind launcher, so I am going to enable them and Uvirith's Legacy and see if mlox can sort it out. I might have got it.

Okay, yeah, it's working. :D I haven't played Morrowind in probably years...

To the guy who had a problem before me, make sure you are running everything as administrator (check the box in properties for the morrowind shortcut). I installed the java files and such from the OP, extracted both of the MGE from that same zip file, and then ran the MGSO setup.

UP AND ADAM fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Aug 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I have heard that a lot of the global stuff will work (shaders, distant land, etc.) but that the new lands aren't set up for grass and trees. I imagine--if you're using a high-poly tree replacer--it will replace the trees, but that's about it.

It works (shaders/etc.) and you should use this ESP to add groundcover - http://oblivion.nexusmods.com/mods/41626 (incorrectly filed under "Oblivion mods" at TEXNexus)

Tamriel Rebuilt is probably one of the most ambitious and surprising community projects I've seen in games. The quality of the content is such that I really can't distinguish where vanilla game ends and mod content begins. LGNPC is similar in this regard, and very awesome.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
I downloaded the Oggumogoggum's Morrowind Mods Compilation in the OP because I didn't want to fool around with getting a bunch of mods and getting them to work together and stuff.. After following the directions and setting the load order the same, I get some errors. Is the pack missing stuff, or did I manage to do something wrong?

First of all, the load order list has leveledmagicka.esp listed, but there is no leveledmagicka mod or esp provided in the package that I can see

Also, I got out of the ship and created an Argonian. When I hit accept to move on it complained of missing files, asked to load the default - I hit yes and the game didn't freeze but I couldn't move or do anything.

Model Load Error: Meshes\new_beast\arg_m_body.nif cannot load file in Meshes\new_beast\arg_m_body.nif.
Will use the default object Marker_Error.NIF.
Model Load Error: Meshes\new_beast\arg_m_body.nif cannot load file in Meshes\new_beast\arg_m_body.nif.
Will use the default object Marker_Error.NIF

edit - it looks like 'new_beast' meshes are from the lizslof-beasts.7z, but no arg_m_body.nif is listed
Meshes\new_beast\arg_f_body_clean.nif
Meshes\new_beast\arg_f_hands.nif
Meshes\new_beast\arg_m_body_clean.nif
Meshes\new_beast\arg_m_hands.nif

Danith fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 4, 2012

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
Edit: never mind

dbzfandiego fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Aug 4, 2012

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
I fixed the issue by just coping the body_clean.nif to body.nif.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Here is my character, Drakub the Breton archer-mystic - Telvanni mouth of Lord Aryon or someone.

This is my stash spot under the Caldera mage guild stairs.

More pictures around Tel Branora, as I set out to quell (but actually turned out to support) a slave revolt.

I don't have that native wildlife mod, so here I am preparing for battle to be joined.

Then I caught a blight disease, without a way to cure it, so I used a scroll of divine intervention and ended up on the mainland in a place I've never seen before.

And finally I get to relax at Vivec.

I don't know if people who just recently bought Morrowind can tell, but this is like a million times better looking, and sounding, and feeling (with all the expanded dialogue, npcs, etc.) than the vanilla game. It is soo much better, and it's great. It's neat finally endearing myself to all the Telvanni pricks from my past games. I'd like to have some of them acknowledge my position and membership through their dialogue, instead of just their disposition. Probably when I'm at the top of the House they'll do something like that, right?

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
I've done the exact same thing this playthrough with Telvanni and you're right, it's insane how up-to-date MGE makes Morrowind look. For me it's like playing the game for the first time all over again. Also, the Tel Uvirith's Legacy mod is just badass.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Yeah that total conversion graphics mod blew me away. My first two attempts at the game were very rough around the edges, but the mod makes it plenty more tolerable. I just wish I could get screenshots in without having to use steam community since it breaks things.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Avocados posted:

I just wish I could get screenshots in without having to use steam community since it breaks things.

You mean you don't have an original Steam-free boxed copy of Morrowind and its expansions that you keep hermetically sealed in a drawer somewhere? :smugdog:

White Legs
Apr 24, 2006

"Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price." :911:

Avocados posted:

Yeah that total conversion graphics mod blew me away. My first two attempts at the game were very rough around the edges, but the mod makes it plenty more tolerable. I just wish I could get screenshots in without having to use steam community since it breaks things.

MGE has its own screenshot button you can set. :ssh:

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
I got a CD copy of Morrowind (just the base game, no expansions) from someone a while back and have tried to get into it a couple of times, but I've never gotten more than an hour or so in before giving up on it because I just couldn't get past the more dated parts (the overall kind-of-janky feel of the mechanics, the almost completely useless journal, the way every NPC regurgitates the same exact blocks of text so you can never tell who actually has any new quests or information and talking to people ends up feeling like a waste of time). I always kind of ended up wandering around with no real idea of what I should be doing or where I should be going because I couldn't quite figure out the NPCs' directions and I wasn't really sure what quest objectives I had in play and I really didn't even know where to start looking if I wanted to actually find stuff to do.

What I'm wondering is, would it be worthwhile to buy the GotY edition, pack it full of mods, and give it another shot? I know some of the things I mentioned eventually get addressed, whether in the expansion packs or in a mod, but I don't really know if that improves things enough that I could get past some of the more obtuse things and really get into the game.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 6, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Opposing Farce posted:

I got a CD copy of Morrowind (just the base game, no expansions) from someone a while back and have tried to get into it a couple of times, but I've never gotten more than an hour or so in before giving up on it because I just couldn't get past the more dated parts (the overall kind-of-janky feel of the mechanics, the almost completely useless journal, the way every NPC regurgitates the same exact blocks of text so you can never tell who actually has any new quests or information and talking to people ends up feeling like a waste of time). I always kind of ended up wandering around with no real idea of what I should be doing or where I should be going because I couldn't quite figure out the NPCs' directions and I wasn't really sure what quest objectives I had in play and I really didn't even know where to start looking if I wanted to actually find stuff to do.

What I'm wondering is, would it be worthwhile to buy the GotY edition, pack it full of mods, and give it another shot? I know some of the things I mentioned eventually get addressed, whether in the expansion packs or in a mod, but I don't really know if that improves things enough that I could get past some of the more obtuse things and really get into the game.

There are three things you can't really mod away, and one of them still has a fix of sorts. First, the journal: It's not good, and there aren't any improvements for it. The second is the terrible combat. With this, though, there are mods that will guarantee a hit, and instead associate the relevant weapon skill with how much damage that weapon does. It's still a far cry from Skyrim's combat, but it may help alleviate the RNG feel of combat that some people detest.

The third is the lack of hand-holding. Even with mods, you're still going to need to pay attention and follow directions, and put up with a little bit of exploring. Mods won't help you if you get lost too easily and end up wandering aimlessly. There's no cursor telling you who you need to speak with next.

Everything else can be fixed with mods. Everything. Morrowind's been out for 10 years and it's been getting mods for just about as long.

Don't like the way the game looks? You should be using texture packs and MGE/MGE-XE/MGSO.
Don't like being shoehorned into the main quest? Install Great House Dagoth/The Sixth House mods and be a very nuanced bad guy instead.
Don't think there's enough to do? Install Tamriel Rebuilt and essentially double the size of the world.
Boring dialogue? Install the suite of LGNPC plugins (Less Generic NPCs) and increase the variety and uniqueness of NPC dialogue.
Bored with the weapons? Install one of the numerous weapon mods and dump a couple hundred new toys into the leveled lists.

The point is, virtually everything about this game can be improved upon via modding, and even the original good stuff can stand to be pushed into the year 2012. If, however, you just don't like how Morrowind throws you out there and tells you, "figure it out", the game may not be for you.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

the journal: It's not good, and there aren't any improvements for it.

He was playing Vanilla, though. The first expansion added an improved journal that has a quest list. It's not perfect, but at least with it you can easily see what quests you have, pick one and read all the relevant journal entries without needing to look them up one by one.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Elman posted:

He was playing Vanilla, though. The first expansion added an improved journal that has a quest list. It's not perfect, but at least with it you can easily see what quests you have, pick one and read all the relevant journal entries without needing to look them up one by one.

Even the improved journal is a clunky thing that has not been modded into something better. :colbert:

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
So, I've been meaning to play Morrowind again, but I haven't really had the motivation to sit down and install the mods I collected before my switch to a new computer; is the third edition of MGSO complete and (mostly) bug-free, or should I stick with the second? Also, is there any timeframe for the Game Experience overhaul compiled by the same folks? I don't want to start and have everything in the gameplay just kind of drastically shift partway through.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

If, however, you just don't like how Morrowind throws you out there and tells you, "figure it out", the game may not be for you.

I don't really have a problem with figuring things out for myself, but playing Morrowind I always kind of felt like the information just wasn't as readily available as I would have liked. I have a very poor sense of direction (in real life and in video games) and definitely do get lost easily, so when you combine that with the directions being buried away in the journal where they're not readily accessible it doesn't take long for the aimless wandering to set in.

Are there any mods that make the map a little more useful for actually finding your way around? I seem to remember it being bad in regards to telling you where stuff is, and even if I could just pull it up to figure out where the towns and landmarks are it'd make the world a fair bit easier to navigate.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 6, 2012

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Heavy Lobster posted:

So, I've been meaning to play Morrowind again, but I haven't really had the motivation to sit down and install the mods I collected before my switch to a new computer; is the third edition of MGSO complete and (mostly) bug-free, or should I stick with the second? Also, is there any timeframe for the Game Experience overhaul compiled by the same folks? I don't want to start and have everything in the gameplay just kind of drastically shift partway through.

The third edition isn't out yet, I don't think, but it should be out soon according to the website. The MGSO is definitely the best option for installing all the patches, textures, and whatnot, so I would say get it and you barely need anything else.

Opposing Farce: with the expanded view range of the MGE, I found it easier to get around since you can see things in the distance. That alone makes orienting yourself a lot easier.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Not knowing where the directions people give you is fixed somewhat by the better journal in Tribunal. It's still not great, but it gets the job done. Plus the UESP wiki is amazingly detailed as long as you're just trying to find stuff in the base game, obviously mods change a lot of things. If you see it on sale on Steam or something, I'd say give it another shot, and if you get stuck, ask this thread for help.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

UP AND ADAM posted:

Opposing Farce: with the expanded view range of the MGE, I found it easier to get around since you can see things in the distance. That alone makes orienting yourself a lot easier.

Yeah, definitely this. Even moving the draw distance out to a conservative 8 or 9 cells is enough to be immensely helpful in getting your bearings, while simultaneously keeping the illusion of navigating a large land mass. It's sort of underwhelming to kick the draw distance out to 30 cells and be able to see everything at any time. Makes things feel really small.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Don't think there's enough to do? Install Tamriel Rebuilt and essentially double the size of the world.

Although someone who says this unironically may in fact be clinically insane, since unmodded Morrowind (with expansions) is the most expansive, content rich game I think I have ever played outside of things that are basically infinite like Civilization and Minecraft. Add on Tamriel Rebuilt and we're talking about a lifestealer. And then if the Cyrodiil and Skyrim projects follow through as well as TR has...ye gods.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Opposing Farce posted:

Are there any mods that make the map a little more useful for actually finding your way around? I seem to remember it being bad in regards to telling you where stuff is, and even if I could just pull it up to figure out where the towns and landmarks are it'd make the world a fair bit easier to navigate.

Not that I know of, but the original version came with this map. You can probably find a larger version if you look, it's a very useful reference. If you need to find a precise location you can use this this Google Maps app.

Yeah, it's not easy to get into an old game like this :shobon: But it's well worth it.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Heavy Lobster posted:

Kingpix has been testing the installer for the Game Experience Overhaul for a while now. That being said, his track record for falling off the face of the earth and then mysteriously reappearing is only slightly better than Hrmchand's so who knows when it will be done.

The current edition of the MSGO is the second one and it's pretty good, but you'll probably need to tweak the settings in MGEXE quite a bit before you'll get playable FPS outside. As mentioned above, Kingpix does quite a bit of testing for his overhauls so you don't need to worry about them causing bugs (for the most part).

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Does the steam version include the official plug ins like that skeleton fort and the master propylon index?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I don't believe so.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Those were free weren't they? If so anyone know where to get them?

Okimin
Dec 19, 2009

rebel rebel
I was gonna try playing a pure mage, any mods that you guys would consider essential for magick-ing?

Hostile Rabbi
Jun 25, 2005

by Ralp

xanthan posted:

Those were free weren't they? If so anyone know where to get them?

They were. Bethesda has the up for download on Morrowind's offical site here.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is there an easier way to train pick-pocketing? I'm still rather new to this installment and the quicksaving/loading technique isn't exactly the most efficient considering how little i'm actually successful.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Avocados posted:

Is there an easier way to train pick-pocketing? I'm still rather new to this installment and the quicksaving/loading technique isn't exactly the most efficient considering how little i'm actually successful.

It's the sneak skill, so you can sneak through dungeons and poo poo too, or find a trainer. http://uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Sneak

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
This may be a dumb question, but I'm kind of new to mucking around with graphics shaders and I'm not even sure what the terminology is for the problem I'm having. I installed MGSO on my beast-machine, and because it is a beast-machine I threw all the high settings at it just to see what would run. As it turned out, everything looked terrific when I first loaded it up, but the minute I started to move, the FOV effect was...disorienting to say the least. I love the way it applies aerial perspective to long-distance objects, but something about the way it handles the transition between middle-distance and close-up makes me feel like I'm wearing bifocals that aren't mine while drunk. After turning FOV off completely, the close/middle blurring disappeared, but so did the nice hazy long-distance effects that I actually liked. Are there any good guides out there on specifically tweaking FOV settings so that they aren't headache-inducing?

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

atomicgeek posted:

This may be a dumb question, but I'm kind of new to mucking around with graphics shaders and I'm not even sure what the terminology is for the problem I'm having. I installed MGSO on my beast-machine, and because it is a beast-machine I threw all the high settings at it just to see what would run. As it turned out, everything looked terrific when I first loaded it up, but the minute I started to move, the FOV effect was...disorienting to say the least. I love the way it applies aerial perspective to long-distance objects, but something about the way it handles the transition between middle-distance and close-up makes me feel like I'm wearing bifocals that aren't mine while drunk. After turning FOV off completely, the close/middle blurring disappeared, but so did the nice hazy long-distance effects that I actually liked. Are there any good guides out there on specifically tweaking FOV settings so that they aren't headache-inducing?

I believe what you're describing is the Depth of Field (DOF) shader. I don't know of any DOF shaders that do what you're looking for but you might be able to get a similar effect by fooling around with the fog settings. I personally leave it turned off.

FOV (Field of View) is the angle that describes the left and right limits of what the camera sees. If that was the problem, everything would look thinner/fatter than it's supposed to be, or you'd get fisheye distortion (which looks like a bubble in the center of your view).

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
The DoF shader in this package is exceptionally poor. If you want to tweak, I'm sure you can improve it, but I'd say you'd be better off disabling it.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
I bought the GOTY on Steam over the summer and so far I've enjoyed it fairly well, even the lack of hand holding compared to Oblivion and Skyrim. What's the consensus on Morroblivion? Is it a total conversion to the Oblivion engine or something different? The website says its system requirements are especially high compared to vanilla Oblivion, so I don't know if I can run it on this hunk of crap, even when it can run Oblivion on high with 2x AA.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Riosan posted:

I bought the GOTY on Steam over the summer and so far I've enjoyed it fairly well, even the lack of hand holding compared to Oblivion and Skyrim. What's the consensus on Morroblivion? Is it a total conversion to the Oblivion engine or something different? The website says its system requirements are especially high compared to vanilla Oblivion, so I don't know if I can run it on this hunk of crap, even when it can run Oblivion on high with 2x AA.

Morroblivion is pretty impressive. The amount of work that the team has put into it is obvious, and it seems like an answer to fix Morrowind's duller aspects (animation, combat, slow exploration.) It is consistently updated, too.

The irony is that, nowadays, a fully modded Morrowind game is visually superior to Morroblivion. I actually prefer Morrowind over Morroblivion, specifically because of how powerful MGE and MGE-XE have become, and for the "feel" of the NetImmerse/Gamebryo engine the game runs on. It's difficult to explain, but I've never liked the floatiness of Oblivion, or the touchiness of its physics. Objects seem to have hitboxes much larger than the models, themselves. By comparison, everything feels so tight in Morrowind. It's insane, but it's like Duplo (Oblivion) to Legos (Morrowind).

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Morroblivion is pretty impressive. The amount of work that the team has put into it is obvious, and it seems like an answer to fix Morrowind's duller aspects (animation, combat, slow exploration.) It is consistently updated, too.

The irony is that, nowadays, a fully modded Morrowind game is visually superior to Morroblivion. I actually prefer Morrowind over Morroblivion, specifically because of how powerful MGE and MGE-XE have become, and for the "feel" of the NetImmerse/Gamebryo engine the game runs on. It's difficult to explain, but I've never liked the floatiness of Oblivion, or the touchiness of its physics. Objects seem to have hitboxes much larger than the models, themselves. By comparison, everything feels so tight in Morrowind. It's insane, but it's like Duplo (Oblivion) to Legos (Morrowind).

And they removed key gameplay elements in Oblivion, like levitation, teleportation, truly flexible enchanting (with non-permanent effect enchants on things other than weapons), genuinely powerful artifacts, etc. Some of that stuff might be within the scope of the Morroblivion project to fix, but I very much doubt all of it is.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo

What Fun posted:

The DoF shader in this package is exceptionally poor. If you want to tweak, I'm sure you can improve it, but I'd say you'd be better off disabling it.

That's what I meant. Sorry for the confusion by using the wrong term there. Okay, if it's universally poor then I will simply have to live with everything looking pretty awesome instead of perfect. Thanks!

Yazman
Mar 7, 2009
Is there anything like BOSS for Morrowind or even a decent mod manager that actually works? I can't seem to find anything except for a broken tool on the Nexus.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

UP AND ADAM posted:

Morrowind stuffs

What mod compilation is that? I need to get back into Morrowind.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
It's option 1 from the op, MGSO. Once you have all the prerequisite stuff installed, it automagically guides you through installing all these texture packs and graphics extenders. It's really perfect, in my opinion. I even like the depth of field thing, but I could see it being annoying for others.

http://www.ornitocopter.net/

The dude just posted that the newest version should be out in like a week, and it promises to be ever more intuitive. I'm excited for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Yazman posted:

Is there anything like BOSS for Morrowind or even a decent mod manager that actually works? I can't seem to find anything except for a broken tool on the Nexus.

They actually just added support for Morrowind in the latest BOSS release, but in their own words, "no mod plugins are recognised and no further support is planned". So, they recommend using this instead if you're planning to mod up Morrowind.