Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen
Which model is that? Where'd you order from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140808076771

Enjoy!

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen
Thanks! Any dead pixels?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

serebralassazin posted:

Dell released new 27 inch Ultrasharp model.. Apparently it uses AH-IPS panels. Hopefully AnandTech will review this soon.

US buy page posted:

Features a color gamut up to 99 percent

:smug:

US buy page posted:

... sRGB.

Oh.

Anyway, I *think* that AH-IPS might be the same tech behind the MBP Retina display, given that each list "increased light transmissivity" as a feature.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

BusinessWallet posted:

Thanks! Any dead pixels?

Nope!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What's the problem with sRBG? :confused:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
I think he's saying it would be better if it was 100% sRGB, I guess

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Nah, I just like having the option of a wide-gamut display because I do photography. Makes me sad that a new high-end screen will have a limited gamut.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Got my 30 inch. 1 dead pixel - 6 inches right of dead center. Very gorgeous otherwise.

Aug 14, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Finally got the monitor I ordered from Dream-seller on the 27th shipped, he pushed the shipment date back twice then just tried to do it a third time and I requested a refund instead, few hours later I got an ebay shipment update instead.

I'm not sure what game he's playing, if he used 'korean vacation' as cover for not having the monitor in stock or what but I'm fully expecting to get some faulty piece of poo poo that he picked up out of the trash at this point. None of the other korean sellers have anything about 'korean vacation' that I've seen and several of you have been receiving yours just fine.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Indeed. My seller got mine to me in 2.5 business days. Ordered on monday night, got here thursday morning.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

298298 posted:

Finally got the monitor I ordered from Dream-seller on the 27th shipped, he pushed the shipment date back twice then just tried to do it a third time and I requested a refund instead, few hours later I got an ebay shipment update instead.

I'm not sure what game he's playing, if he used 'korean vacation' as cover for not having the monitor in stock or what but I'm fully expecting to get some faulty piece of poo poo that he picked up out of the trash at this point. None of the other korean sellers have anything about 'korean vacation' that I've seen and several of you have been receiving yours just fine.

I ordered mine from Dream-seller on the 4th and got it in yesterday with a very nice little letter letting me know that there have been some issues w/ my model lately so they opened and tested the monitor prior to shipping it on the house. It also mentioned that he was sorry for any delay in my order due to Korean holiday.

So... I guess you just got unlucky?

Aug 14, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Bolkovr said earlier in the thread he ordered the same day as me from Dream-seller and has gotten the same pushbacks, so it's not just me being unlucky. Either way I'd avoid dream-seller in the future.

If he shipped to you and you ordered on the 4th then it's not some korean vacation bullshit, it's him not having them in stock most likely and lying about it. I definitely wouldn't have ordered from him if I'd known I'd have to wait 13.5 days to get it shipped. When I replied to the ebay tracking message he has another 'out of office until the 13th' message as well.

Edit: I don't want to make this a feedback derail on an ebay seller, originally thought it was a broad Korean vacation thing.

298298 fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Aug 10, 2012

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

The March Hare posted:

I ordered mine from Dream-seller on the 4th and got it in yesterday with a very nice little letter letting me know that there have been some issues w/ my model lately so they opened and tested the monitor prior to shipping it on the house.

I got two of those letters in mine, one saying they checked it and it was fine, and the other saying there were issues and sorry for the delay :v:

Mine was shipped promptly.

Bolkovr
Apr 20, 2002

A chump and a hoagie going buck wild
I just got a DHL tracking number for mine so I guess it's en route. :f5:

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Quick report on the 30 inch (yamasaki leonidas):

Packaging is solid. Power adapter is a big brick but fortunately takes power from the female end of a standard computer PSU cable so no need to bother with the supplied prong adapter. Be aware that the cable coming out of the brick that goes to the monitor is a little on the short side. I would have liked another foot.

The stand is stable insofar as it remains firmly planted to my desk. The panel is massive enough to allow considerable wiggle but only when the panel is physically touched. The panel seems heavy enough to stabilize itself against desk movement/vibration much like how a heavier firearm counteracts felt recoil.

The panel build quality is quite high; completely encased in a brushed finish metal, including the bezel. However, the screen surface itself is set rather deeply in said bezel. I think 2 credit cards' thickness worth of a gap in there. Moreover, the space inside this gap (on the right and left sides) seems lightly colored which will show clearly if viewing the screen from an angle but not head on.

There is one dead pixel. Don't care.

The brighness seemed a little low to me, even at the maximum setting the monitor allows via physical control. No biggie, just a few extra clicks in the Catalyst control panel.

Color accuracy is obviously much better than any TN panel I've ever used. I don't have a colorimiter though so how far off I am and how close I can get it is unknown.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Today I ordered an UltraSharp 3011 and a second EVGA GTX670 from Amazon.

I'll obviously be putting the two cards in SLI, but I'm wondering how I should hook up the monitors. I currently have a 22 inch Samsung Syncmaster from 2006 or so. My thinking was to hook each of the cards up to the UltraSharp with one HDMI cable and one DisplayPort cable, and then keep the Samsung hooked up to the card I have now with the DVI cable. Is that the best way to do it or no? I want to use the Samsung as my side-task monitor, like email and gtalk and whatever while I use the UltraSharp for media and game stuff.

(I already have an HDMI cable and I just felt like ordering a DisplayPort for the other card just because it's NEWER and must therefore be COOLER other than that I have no other reason for the two different form factors and yes I know they're functionally identical)

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
U3011 via either dual-link DVI or DisplayPort from whichever card is in the top slot. Not both, and DL-DVI is slightly less of a pain. Other monitor via whatever is left on that same card.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
So I don't need the DisplayPort cable then? Sorry, just trying to be clear - you're saying use two DVI cables from the top card to the monitor?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
No, a single dual-link DVI cable.

That or DisplayPort. Single-link DVI and HDMI won't be able to put a U3011 to full resolution.

E: Actually, you might be able to use HDMI since the U3011 has HDMI 1.3a ports. But then you'd do that instead of DVI or DP.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 10, 2012

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Ok, got it. I guess I'll just use the DisplayPort then. I do have a dual-link DVI for the Samsung, and I believe the UltraSharp comes with it, so I'll try both and see if there's a difference.

Thanks for your help, I can be dumb about these things until I figure them out sometimes. This will be my first time with SLI.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
I am concerned, so I will ask: Do you know that your motherboard and power supply can support SLI 670s?

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Um...I think so? I have an ASUS Sabertooth P67 which is advertised as "SLI-ready" and I have a Corsair Enthusiast Series 850W PSU.

Will that work? :ohdear:

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Yep, that'll do just fine.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Has anyone gone from 27" to 30"? Obviously upgrading from 22", 24" is a huge difference, but what about going from basicly 16:9 2560x... to 16:10 2560x..., do you feel it is worth double the price?
This would be for gaming/movies.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
More vertical space on the 30" will be useful for programs like photoshop/LR/etc. But if you're just gaming and watchin movies, 16:9 would suit it better.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Ika posted:

Has anyone gone from 27" to 30"? Obviously upgrading from 22", 24" is a huge difference, but what about going from basicly 16:9 2560x... to 16:10 2560x..., do you feel it is worth double the price?

For gaming and movies it won't be an improvement.

Actually if its just gaming and movies then I'd go with a television, the extra pixels only come into their own for desktop stuff.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Longterm plan is getting a cheap LCD TV sometime for DVDs, I don't think I can go back to HD resolution for gaming however. I rarely work at home, so room for coding really isn't a priority. (And honestly if I were to code, I would rotate the monitor, and then the resolution is similar anyhow.) 16:9 just feels too wide for the height when gaming for some reason.

walph
Dec 3, 2011

Ika posted:

I have a catleap and a ZR30W, and no I don't think adding 3" and 160 lines of vertical resolution aren't worth the price, nor do Dell/HP. The only time i see a real benefit to the 30" is doing CAD or other design work.

It did let me turn the catleap into a gently caress-off huge portrait monitor though. One i can only see about ~60% of without moving my eye around

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Got an Asus pa238q for portrait duty. It's a pretty monitor with a better than usual stand / bezel, but sitting next to my Korean 27" there is an odd sort of sparkle especially obvious on white screens. Is that the AG coating I've heard complaints about on IPS monitors? It doesn't bother me enough to return the monitor but who the hell ever thought that was a good idea?

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

low-key-taco posted:

Got an Asus pa238q for portrait duty. It's a pretty monitor with a better than usual stand / bezel, but sitting next to my Korean 27" there is an odd sort of sparkle especially obvious on white screens. Is that the AG coating I've heard complaints about on IPS monitors? It doesn't bother me enough to return the monitor but who the hell ever thought that was a good idea?

Sounds like the typical AG coating, yeah. I don't notice it because i have two older monitors right now that are AG, but not overly so.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I was following the HardOCP thread on the u2713hm and good lord are there some people that lose their poo poo over AG monitors. Like the monitor up and murdered their mothers in the face with an immersion blender or some bullshit.

I for one can't wait to pick up an AG monitor. My office has a skylight in it and my current monitor (NEC 20WMGX2) is a pain in the rear end to work on photos on before sundown. I appreciate the vivid colors it gives me but I honestly don't think it's worth having to deal with the terrible glare most hours of the day. I guess if you live in a basement or something and can guarantee no ambient light will be hitting the monitor then you're golden with full-gloss mirrored displays that you can do lines off of but I'm so ready for a good quality anti-glare coated display.

This is essentially what my monitor looks like w/ it's reflection
http://www.trustedreviews.com/NEC-MultiSync-20WGX2-20-1in-widescreen-LCD_Monitor_photos_2

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I live in sunny San Diego and my home office is damned sunny with a sliding glass door and open windows behind me but not directly facing my monitors. I can see my reflection in the bezel of my Korean monitor, but even in terminal windows the reflection is pretty minor on the screen. When games are loading is the only time there is enough pure black to really notice.

On the other hand, the AG coating monitor, to me, looks weird on heavy white screens all the time.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
HP has coughed out a new 23" 1080p IPS display. Barely-adjustable stand, no VESA mounting holes, no DisplayPort, and lower contrast than an Ultrasharp, but it's $200 base price, slightly faster pixel response, and lower power usage.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Factory Factory posted:

HP has coughed out a new 23" 1080p IPS display. Barely-adjustable stand, no VESA mounting holes, no DisplayPort, and lower contrast than an Ultrasharp, but it's $200 base price, slightly faster pixel response, and lower power usage.

Yeah we talked about these when they announced them a few weeks ago. There are a couple of models, including a smaller 1600x900 one for even cheaper.

Jignx
Feb 17, 2006
~♥Bringer of Light♥~
I'm currently looking at getting a Benq XL2420T due to hearing about how great 120hz gaming is. However I read on a forum that console games looks horrible on 120hz monitors due to their low framerates, is that true? I won't be having a TV for a while so I have to share a single monitor between my PC and PS3, how would gaming look?

If it's really as bad as they say, I can just go cheaper.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Jignx posted:

I'm currently looking at getting a Benq XL2420T due to hearing about how great 120hz gaming is. However I read on a forum that console games looks horrible on 120hz monitors due to their low framerates, is that true? I won't be having a TV for a while so I have to share a single monitor between my PC and PS3, how would gaming look?

If it's really as bad as they say, I can just go cheaper.

a) I've had a XL2420T for a few months now and the swap from 60hz to 120hz was cool, but in hindsight it wouldn't have been worth the cash alone. 3D gaming though really is spectacular, so if you can find somewhere that sells the XL2420TX for less than the price of the XL2420T plus NVidia specs, go for it. I'm also impressed by the XL2420T in general. Colour and horizontal viewing angles could be mistaken for an older IPS, while the vertical angles aren't bad at all. The stand is really nice as well.

b) Hitting the higher frame rates with all the knobs turned up requires some serious horsepower. With >90 graphical mods and enbseries piled on, in Skyrim my GTX 670 will dip to 20-30fps. I'm not complaining - it's spectacular - but it's what makes me think that an older card would struggle to make the most of the monitor.

c) Where have you heard this about the console games? There's no reason I can think of that would cause an issue, though admittedly I haven't tried it myself.

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 13, 2012

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Would a Catleap like this model http://tinyurl.com/9z2hoel work ok with my radeon 6870? According to newegg it has a single link and a dual link dvi port.

Aug 14, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Holy crap. I got the Catleap in today and it works perfectly, great color especially with the color profile I downloaded, but I had no idea how terrible it would be going back from 55" to 27". It's just not doable for me.

Bad news is I already sold my TV and stand and bought a $500 leaning desk along with the monitor. Now I get to return the desk and eat a 15% restocking fee, try to sell the monitor in SA Mart, and buy another television and stand.

Any suggestions for televisions in the 55+ range that work well for gaming? My old one was a Sharp Aquos which worked great as long as I stayed around 1400x1050, anything past that and it would have insane input lag.

298298 fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Using a 55" 1920x1080 TV at 1400x1050 resolution to play computer games sounds absolutely awful. How far away do you sit from it? Maybe try sitting closer to the monitor.